Sponsored by:

ESP Off in torrential downpour=big mistake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Yea, the first rule is don't let off the gas. Just power through it!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Powering through is what got him in the mess. Release the gas to slow the tires and gain traction, then feather the gas to gain control, IMO. If you have time and quick enough reaction.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
There was heavy rain during the last two F1 races... what, you mean you can't drive like those guys tyanger?

I highly recommend the book "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez/Skip Barber which has a whole chapter on car control. It made a huge difference for me.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R8
But sometimes, there's just nothing you can do...even with AWD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPwkmGWdCLQ
Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 PM

What I like!
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
But sometimes, there's just nothing you can do...even with AWD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPwkmGWdCLQ
Ouch! He could have started by slowing down.... but, you gotta have SOME grip to have options, huh! The question is... if he had grip, would he know what to do? Most people don't realize you can't just correct the wheel or lift off and expect the car to go where you want.

In the OP's case, as long as there was some grip, with throttle-on oversteer, it's a matter of dialing back throttle and countersteering, catching it, then re-correcting both throttle and steering. A three-step dance co-ordinated in one "magic moment"
Old 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Ouch! He could have started by slowing down.... but, you gotta have SOME grip to have options, huh! The question is... if he had grip, would he know what to do? Most people don't realize you can't just correct the wheel or lift off and expect the car to go where you want.

In the OP's case, as long as there was some grip, with throttle-on oversteer, it's a matter of dialing back throttle and countersteering, catching it, then re-correcting both throttle and steering. A three-step dance co-ordinated in one "magic moment"
I think a lot of people know intuitively that steering into the slide is the correct thing to do, but the tendency is to over-correct. And there's also the matter of throttle control, as you correctly stated, Hans. Most people either lift off completely, or slam on the brakes. I'm not even sure which is worse.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 PM

What I like!
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Most people either lift off completely, or slam on the brakes. I'm not even sure which is worse.
Yeah... if you lift off without counter-steering at the same time, it's a surefire way to spin, or start your drift, yo....

The way Skip Barber describes it is: Correction, Pause, Recovery.
countersteer and work the throttle back to stop the slide, when the slide stops that moment is the "pause" and you need to get the wheel back to straight (or pointed where you were going before you started sliding, this is where most people turn clueless) and ease back on the throttle. It all happens in an instant. The bigger the slide, the bigger your steering correction needs to be.

Not trying to preach or prove anything, just hoping to help people out! They don't teach this stuff in Driver's Ed, or even at DE's. In fact, I'm one of those who had to learn the hard way myself.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 AM

What I like!
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
countersteer and work the throttle back to stop the slide, when the slide stops that moment is the "pause" and you need to get the wheel back to straight (or pointed where you were going before you started sliding, this is where most people turn clueless) and ease back on the throttle.
Ease back onTO the throttle would be a less confusing way to put it.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:21 AM

09 C63 steel grey

Here's the visible damage. Theres a ding on the front passenger side wheel rim too.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
That is a sad sight get that fix quick!