Sponsored by:

Thinking about it....a C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG & 2009 CTS-V
Originally Posted by 220S
I have a C300 as a loaner right now as my '09 E is getting serviced.

My issue is that the interior of the C is downright butt-ugly. And cheap. Granted I have a zero optioned loaner (Enterprise fleet.) But damn, what's with the interior bits and the design? Even the font on the Command was crappy and pixelated. I'm wondering if I can live with this. I'm guessing performance could outweigh the interior and the cheap feel.
Wow,... don't let DaGS1800 catch you saying stuff like this. He'll ream you a new one,... whether you bring the Vasoline with you or not. He's relentless and unforgiving! LOL!
Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Yeah, well after looking at some C63 interior pics, the AMG version looks better than the POS loaner I had.

But I think I want a bigger car. My P-car is already tiny. I want a really big car with lots of room and which is way too fast and handles like a Lotus and weighs the same but is still as safe as a big MB

How many people get the performance package? Can you drive it with the pp on LA crap streets? Can you get LSD w/o the performance package?

I wish MBUSA had a better website than that POS Flash driven site they have. No 'build your own" on the AMG site(?)

I guess I gotta start reading this forum and start thinking about this.... 'course by then the W212 E63 will be available.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is more like it. A stealth version. Why won't they export it to the US?
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about it....a C63-3496908352_a37f7a043f.jpg  
Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 PM

Sounds like you're a candidate for something lurking somewhere between the C and E, but with all the performance and accommodations of both.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 PM

2009 C63 K1
I saw the 2010 E-class the other day and took a quick look but did not sit in it. Interior was not that impressive to me. Has all the features but looks unimpressive. That being said, I am not a big interior guy, I really only care about performance.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:06 AM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ericpd
Wow,... don't let DaGS1800 catch you saying stuff like this. He'll ream you a new one,... whether you bring the Vasoline with you or not. He's relentless and unforgiving! LOL!
WoW I am surprised the first thing you wrote wasn’t "Get a CTS-V"... there’s a first time for everything I guess...
Old 05-09-2009, 12:15 AM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 220S
Yeah, well after looking at some C63 interior pics, the AMG version looks better than the POS loaner I had.

But I think I want a bigger car. My P-car is already tiny. I want a really big car with lots of room and which is way too fast and handles like a Lotus and weighs the same but is still as safe as a big MB

How many people get the performance package? Can you drive it with the pp on LA crap streets? Can you get LSD w/o the performance package?

I wish MBUSA had a better website than that POS Flash driven site they have. No 'build your own" on the AMG site(?)

I guess I gotta start reading this forum and start thinking about this.... 'course by then the W212 E63 will be available.
Haha don’t we all wish we could have the bigger car that handles like a Lotus... just not happening. The smaller car will always handle better and will always be faster, that is just how physics works. The new E-class body style just isn’t for me but I am sure the E63 will be an amazing car to drive...

The performance package is something I highly recommend, although there will be people who will tell you otherwise, however they never driven a C63 with one therefore don’t really know what they don’t have... I have driven both and I can tell you personally that I am very happy that I opted to get it. The suspension is not too stiff at all and I think is necessary unless you plan on changing to coilovers... The LSD is also a MUST, but you can install an aftermarket version if you decide not to go with the Performance Package… Like you said earlier, there aren’t many luxury options or any options for his car really so why not get the Performance Package on a car like this if money isn’t really an issue.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:22 AM

'09 C63
I'm starting to like the upcoming w212 coupe, the grill really changes the look.

(not my pics, just saw them over at the w204 forum)
Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by DaGS1800
Haha don’t we all wish we could have the bigger car that handles like a Lotus... just not happening. The smaller car will always handle better and will always be faster, that is just how physics works. The new E-class body style just isn’t for me but I am sure the E63 will be an amazing car to drive...
That's just how physics works? Not really. The larger CTS-V is faster than both the C63 and M3,... it handles considerably better than the C63 and some would even argue as well as the M3. It has set the standing lap record at 'The Ring' for 4-door production saloons of any size, class, or brake horsepower rating. At the moment, 'The Ring' is the universally accepted benchmark for how well a car is capable of balancing speed, acceleration and handling.

Your 'smaller car' physics assumption is a good rule of thumb no doubt, but there are some exceptions. There are other examples of this exception,... I just happen to like the CTS-V example! Well,... maybe one more example I confess I like a whole lot,... the F-16 Tomcat! Compared to other front line fighters of its day, it was HUGE. A Hudgy amongst Cateyes (think marbles), yet air superiority was never one of its problems. But you did specify 'car',... so it doesn't work!

Last edited by ericpd; 05-09-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:53 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Yup!

Originally Posted by 1st amg
Very well said Hans, no gripes about this car whastsoever, too many good points of this car that simply will outweigh any slight complaints about the interior, the Napa leather is beautiful when treated properly and the plastics are not the same plastics that you find in japanese and american cars.
I concur with both of you! The very first time I sat in the new C-class it was a C300 with Cognac interior with Aluminium trim, and I was shocked at the interior, specifically the great expanse of black plastic/rubber dashboard. Especially coming from a facelifted C280 (203). However, after seeing the C63, the looks and sound of the C63 won me over and made me put down my deposit. Once I got it, I was shocked at how good the Sahara Beige Nappa leather with the Black bird's-eye maple trim combo made the interior look much more luxurious! Actually the nappa leather and those FANTASTIC front AMG sport seats really change the interior of the C63 regardless of color.

The great expanse of the dashboard was now a minor thing. Plus I actually now really like the COMAND screen. It is properly positioned for easy viewing of DVDs while in traffic while still being able to see the car in front of you pull away from the corner of your eye, so you don't get some crazy honking of the horn from your rear. Plus, and it's a big plus, the whole interior feels very solid, no odd little squeaks like in many previous MBs.

I had my brother in law visiting a few weeks ago and he commented on hown really nice the Sahara Beige Nappa leather looked and the combo with the black wood and whole black two tone interior look. He wished he could have got this combo for his GL. He did note about the great expanse of the black dashboard on the passenger side as being the only odd thing he could see, but a minor one.

I believe the positives of this car, for any car fanatic, far, far, far, far outweigh anything that could be a negative. Harsh ride is actually not so harsh. It is very acceptable for this car, especially with this performance and the noise!!!! I fear that if I were to one day sell this car, what the hell would I buy to replace it. The E-class is too big for me and not as much a driver's car as this, so I might end up (fortunes willing) buy another C63 if they still make them at that time.

I recently heard the sound of an E55 and SL55 but after the C63 there is no comparison in standard exhausts sounds. The SL55 owner jumped out and asked me if I had fitted a special aftermarket exhaust. I told him nope, its the standard exhaust. He gave me The Rock's 'whats-cooking eyebrow' like he didn't believe me. He just said it sounds so Evil!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
I think the new W212 E63 will be better than the outgoing W211 suspension wise.

220S, I think that would be the appropriate choice for you, plus it comes with the MCT transmission!! It will be ridiculous amounts of fun, plus comfort when you want it.
I completely forgot about it until you guys brought it up now.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:41 AM

C63, GL450, Panamera S, lots of little British leakers
I had much the same concerns... and bought the C63 anyway... I grin every time I drive it, and if I really miss keyless go and rear view cam all that much, I'll gladly swap it for a '10 when they arrive in the US this summer.

The driving dynamic of the C63 far outweighs any of my concerns about the interior materials and missing options.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fantasm
I think the new W212 E63 will be better than the outgoing W211 suspension wise.

220S, I think that would be the appropriate choice for you, plus it comes with the MCT transmission!! It will be ridiculous amounts of fun, plus comfort when you want it.
I completely forgot about it until you guys brought it up now.
I think you're absolutely right. And that's what I'm going to do. Or, at least wait until the W212 is here and I can look closely.

And if I apply the same logic people are using concerning the C63 shortcomings on the shortcomings of W212's new design, then the W212 E63 should still be the better choice for me.

And yeah, the suspension is re-worked in the W212 so it supposedly is a much better handling car.

After all, I have my 993 C2S. And eventually I'll replace it (with a current 997/998) Not nearly as fast as a C63, but (ready for flames here), imho are much better choices for canyon runs and track events. It's a pretty amazing chassis, built for racing. It's hard to drive fast cars on the streets anymore. In a way, I prefer to drive a slower car fast then have to drive a faster car slow. But the C63 does have the torque which even makes city driving still a bit fun. Hey, even modern torque happy diesels are fun on the street

If I didn't have the P-car, the C63 would be an obvious and probably ideal choice.

It was worth exploring. I guess that little loaner POS C300 had enough spark to put a bug in me. And good to know that not one person here had any second thoughts about owning a C63. I may still check one out at the dealer. Also a member here offered a close look and a run in their C63.

Good responses, thanks.

ps, Fantasm, I read your thread. Did you do the swap? If it goes thru be sure to post your opinions. I'd like to hear your response between the heavier SL and the C.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 PM

The performance package is something I highly recommend, although there will be people who will tell you otherwise, however they never driven a C63 with one therefore don’t really know what they don’t have... I have driven both and I can tell you personally that I am very happy that I opted to get it. The suspension is not too stiff at all and I think is necessary unless you plan on changing to coilovers... The LSD is also a MUST, but you can install an aftermarket version if you decide not to go with the Performance Package… Like you said earlier, there aren’t many luxury options or any options for his car really so why not get the Performance Package on a car like this if money isn’t really an issue.
Totally agree! I also drove both, and not just an 'around the block' test drive. I had the sans PP unit for a little under an hour, and the PP unit for at least 3 hours,.... there is definitely a difference in the two. For me, the Performance Package seems to complete the car,... without it the C63 seems incomplete. Un-finished somehow! DaGS is correct,... if money isn't an issue, then do the PP.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Go sit in an is-f and your mind will change about the c63 interior To me personally, I like the interior and i don't care about the keyless go or rear view camera. I bought the car mostly because of the motor and the exterior apperance. Love it.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd buy this car as the third car in my garage in a heartbeat, if it were only available in the US...
http://www.vk.tv/auto/article1035593...ll#reactieFout
Old 05-09-2009, 08:10 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ericpd
That's just how physics works? Not really. The larger CTS-V is faster than both the C63 and M3,... it handles considerably better than the C63 and some would even argue as well as the M3. It has set the standing lap record at 'The Ring' for 4-door production saloons of any size, class, or brake horsepower rating. At the moment, 'The Ring' is the universally accepted benchmark for how well a car is capable of balancing speed, acceleration and handling.

Your 'smaller car' physics assumption is a good rule of thumb no doubt, but there are some exceptions. There are other examples of this exception,... I just happen to like the CTS-V example! Well,... maybe one more example I confess I like a whole lot,... the F-16 Tomcat! Compared to other front line fighters of its day, it was HUGE. A Hudgy amongst Cateyes (think marbles), yet air superiority was never one of its problems. But you did specify 'car',... so it doesn't work!
Hahaha of course, you never fail to mention your precious V-series...

Although your point is valid, you misunderstood what I was saying... The CTS-V and the C63 are completely different with different engines (yours is supercharged the and is natural ). IF 2 cars with the same engines like the C63 and E63 were compared, the C63 will win every time. You are just comparing 2 different stock cars, BUT the V has about 100 more horses b/c it has a supercharger. So how can you compare those two and claim my comment is wrong, that makes no sense. So physics, DOES work that way your comparison just was not equal
Old 05-09-2009, 08:13 PM

09' C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
Go sit in an is-f and your mind will change about the c63 interior To me personally, I like the interior and i don't care about the keyless go or rear view camera. I bought the car mostly because of the motor and the exterior apperance. Love it.
+1

My friend has one so I know what you mean I also smoke his stupid a$$ every time His face is priceless when he loses
Old 05-09-2009, 08:15 PM

09' C63 AMG
That E-Class coupe is NICE. The 63 version of that is going to be awesome!
Old 05-10-2009, 02:05 AM

Hahaha of course, you never fail to mention your precious V-series...

Although your point is valid, you misunderstood what I was saying... The CTS-V and the C63 are completely different with different engines (yours is supercharged the and is natural ). IF 2 cars with the same engines like the C63 and E63 were compared, the C63 will win every time. You are just comparing 2 different stock cars, BUT the V has about 100 more horses b/c it has a supercharger. So how can you compare those two and claim my comment is wrong, that makes no sense. So physics, DOES work that way your comparison just was not equal
Your exact words were,... "The smaller car will always handle better and will always be faster, that is just how physics works." That's what I responded to. If I misunderstood, then I retract.

The comparison here is,... the C63 has 4 doors and the CTS-V has 4 doors. Both are production cars, and both are commonly referred to as Saloons. As far as the Ring lap time record, that's all that's important. Nothing else. Not whether what's under the bonnet is Super Charged or not, not whether one car is equal to or greater than xxxx lbs and another is equal to or less than xxxx lbs, not whether the brake horsepower is this, that or the other, not whether the wheelbase is greater than or less than a certain length,... the common denominator here is,... "4 door production saloon". End of story.

You said the smaller car will always handle better and will always be faster. I simply used the CTS-V as an example of one exception to that rule of physics of yours. That's all.

Do I think the outcome might have been different if AMG elected to put into production a C55 Kompressor instead of the current naturally aspirated C63? Or if they opted to put 285's on the rear instead of 255's and 255's on the front instead of those anemic 235's? Possibly,... who knows. But they didn't.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
220S, since you already own a 993, I have a 95, how about a Panamera? Will have that Porsche feel since its, well, a Porsche and has 4 doors.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:28 PM

GS300
PDC!!

If you can't park, you shouldn't be driving. Its not like you're landing an F-16 on a carrier at night time. If you think you're a driving enthusiast, you should be enjoying driving. It should be an art.

As for the Keyless go....i remember back in the early 80's, my uncle had it installed in his russian car...lol.... a red button...press it...and the car starts.
So with all the aftermarket kits and mods you guys can do...how come there is no shop that can install this for you? Is it that hard?
Old 05-10-2009, 04:31 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Babilonian
PDC!!

If you can't park, you shouldn't be driving. Its not like you're landing an F-16 on a carrier at night time. If you think you're a driving enthusiast, you should be enjoying driving. It should be an art.

As for the Keyless go....i remember back in the early 80's, my uncle had it installed in his russian car...lol.... a red button...press it...and the car starts.
So with all the aftermarket kits and mods you guys can do...how come there is no shop that can install this for you? Is it that hard?
Why stop there? Driving enthusiasts don't need leather seats either or heat or A/C. C'mon, these are basic options that should be on all luxury cars at this point.

Are they necessary? Of course not. This entire forum is dedicated to the unnecessary!
Old 05-10-2009, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Babilonian
PDC!!

Yeah, well I don't live in Russia. And I can drive quite well thank you.

Read dps01's follow-up post for some further illumination.

btw, if you really want to know, MB installed PDC and rear camera for safety and not for people who can't park. I had a small child run behind me once and it was worth everything in the world to have PDC. And it works great at crosswalks, when that ubiquitous person on their cellphone is cutting in front of you at the last minute when you're trying to make a right on red......

Think before you post.

Last edited by 220S; 05-11-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 04:43 PM

GS300
I love these cars...ever since i was a kid. But they're nice to drive and nothing more. They cost too much, they need constant maintenance, they're not easy to maintain and have a million parts that can go wrong compared to other cars.

Benz puts technology in their cars 10-15 years ahead of everyone else in that industry....and years from now, you'll start to see the same feats in other cars.

years back when i was in school, i needed a car. I wanted to get a used civic and they were so expensive to get even for a used one...so i came across an 83 380sel for $3000 which was almost the same price as a civic with 180k km. the owner had installed a new engine in it...so i got it.

it was a horror story for me. But one thing i will never forget....
a 1983 sel.....cruising on the highway to over 200km/h !!
I hit 240km/h with supreme gas...

now what car is out there that can go this fast....new or old.....nothing...

thats why i like benz...its not because its reliable..cuz its not....but when you drive it...you forget whats around you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about it....a C63