Thinking about it....a C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Thinking about it....a C63

I have a C300 as a loaner right now as my '09 E is getting serviced.

I like the lighter feel, the handling, and steering. The chassis seems tighter and more responsive than my E. Not a bad drive at all. Even with crap OEM tires.

I'm now thinking about a C63. I don't like what I see of the new W212 E63 body style. And I like the C63 body design.

My issue is that the interior of the C is downright butt-ugly. And cheap. Granted I have a zero optioned loaner (Enterprise fleet.) But damn, what's with the interior bits and the design? Even the font on the Command was crappy and pixelated.

I'm wondering if I can live with this. I'm guessing performance could outweigh the interior and the cheap feel.

I'm not bashing the car at all, I was way more impressed with the drive than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trolling and I'm serious about maybe getting the C63.......

Question is: how did you respond to the interior esp if you came from a more "better fitted" car? Could it be a deal breaker?

ps, just want to add (after reading more posts here) that I really like the idea of a C63 esp with the non-airmatic suspension. I read that some peeps are doing PSS-10 setups, etc.. I have PSS-10s on my P-car. I like the idea of being able to tune the suspension and get even better handling (I was thinking a M3 for the handling factor; can't beat it)

Last edited by 220S; 05-07-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
I have no problem with the interior, granted i didn't come from higher end cars. I came from a civic and an evo
Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Whore
the interior is indeed VERY cheap looking. i also have a C300 loaner right now, and you are right -- the handling on it is pretty crisp. surprising for this low end model. its also not bad power wise.

the c300 loaner has got me into the mood of driving a C63 which is why i made a thread to trade my SL63 for C63 for a week or two, hehe.

however, 7-8 months ago when I was looking at the C63 and SL63 and debating between them, one of the main reasons I didn't go with the C63 was lack of options (keyless go, PDC) and the really cheap interior
Old 05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fantasm
the interior is indeed VERY cheap looking. i also have a C300 loaner right now, and you are right -- the handling on it is pretty crisp. surprising for this low end model. its also not bad power wise.

the c300 loaner has got me into the mood of driving a C63 which is why i made a thread to trade my SL63 for C63 for a week or two, hehe.

however, 7-8 months ago when I was looking at the C63 and SL63 and debating between them, one of the main reasons I didn't go with the C63 was lack of options (keyless go, PDC) and the really cheap interior
Hehe, that's interesting. Exact same thing here. The feel of the ride made me think: this thing has some real potential; hey why not a C63? Got me in the mood right away.

But you're right. And I couldn't live without Keyless Go. And a pre-occupied person like me needs Parktronic, too. I want trunk close and all the rest of it

And the interior? My wife got in it and said "uh, no thanks." (She's a designer.) Now she won't shut up about how crappy it is inside.

But it really does drive nice. And with the AMG suspension it's probably close to the Bimmer.

Could I live with it's major shortcomings? Does the ride and power/torque negate all those shortcomings?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM

2009 C63 AMG
While I admit I'm pissed at MB for the crappy interior and lack of options on my C63, you don't buy this car for the interior.

As much as I miss the keyless go and PDC that even my two-year old 335Ci has, every time I take the bulky key out of my pocket, turn it in the ignition, and hear that growl, I forget all about the creature comforts.

It's a great sports car; lousy luxury car.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 PM

C63
whats a PDC?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Originally Posted by arctichaze
whats a PDC?
Park Distance Control

Tough to go back when you have it now.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 220S
I have a C300 as a loaner right now as my '09 E is getting serviced.

I like the lighter feel, the handling, and steering. The chassis seems tighter and more responsive than my E. Not a bad drive at all. Even with crap OEM tires.

I'm now thinking about a C63. I don't like what I see of the new W212 E63 body style. And I like the C63 body design.

My issue is that the interior of the C is downright butt-ugly. And cheap. Granted I have a zero optioned loaner (Enterprise fleet.) But damn, what's with the interior bits and the design? Even the font on the Command was crappy and pixelated.

I'm wondering if I can live with this. I'm guessing performance could outweigh the interior and the cheap feel.

I'm not bashing the car at all, I was way more impressed with the drive than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trolling and I'm serious about maybe getting the C63.......

Question is: how did you respond to the interior esp if you came from a more "better fitted" car? Could it be a deal breaker?

ps, just want to add (after reading more posts here) that I really like the idea of a C63 esp with the non-airmatic suspension. I read that some peeps are doing PSS-10 setups, etc.. I have PSS-10s on my P-car. I like the idea of being able to tune the suspension and get even better handling (I was thinking a M3 for the handling factor; can't beat it)
Here is my advice... I am a former C55 owner so I have some experience in this category.

The previous generation C class had a horrific interior just as the current class does. However, in 2005 they did a face lift of the car and the interior was all of a sudden quite nice. With that said...wait a year or two for the face lift and I would be willing to bet MB will get it right. They usually do. Enjoy your 09 E and lets see what happens!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:39 PM

C63
Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Park Distance Control

Tough to go back when you have it now.

Oh.. yeah my 30k Toyota FJ Cruiser has this... was like wtf a 70k car doesn't have this standard?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Too bad all of you guys State-side don't get the Keyless Go. We have it up here in Canada, and most other markets also have it for the C63. I still can't quite figure out why they didn't include it (even as an option) for US-spec cars.

As for the interior, well, I've had better and I've had worse. It's not a big deal.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SolidGranite
Here is my advice... I am a former C55 owner so I have some experience in this category.

The previous generation C class had a horrific interior just as the current class does. However, in 2005 they did a face lift of the car and the interior was all of a sudden quite nice. With that said...wait a year or two for the face lift and I would be willing to bet MB will get it right. They usually do. Enjoy your 09 E and lets see what happens!
Good call. Yeah, let's see what happens. MB does seem to come through in the end; although the current car mfg economy might make it a bit harder to make those changes(?)

As much as I liked the C's chassis, it felt good to get back into my car (just now picked it up; they had to do a software update.)

It's so easy to get used to the creature comforts. And even though my car kind of floats like a boat and has sloppy turn-in, etc., it is comfortable.

I could probably live with the interior and just drive it. As dps01 says, I guess you have to look at it as a great sports car and a lousy luxury car.

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Too bad all of you guys State-side don't get the Keyless Go. We have it up here in Canada, and most other markets also have it for the C63. I still can't quite figure out why they didn't include it (even as an option) for US-spec cars.

As for the interior, well, I've had better and I've had worse. It's not a big deal.
I can't live without Keyless Go. Pop the key in my pocket and forget about it. They have to change that and make it an option in the US.....

I think if you've had a well-designed interior you get kinda spoiled. And you notice when things are off. MB could have done a lot better, imho. I dunno, it's just important to me, I guess.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
The interior is "cheap" looking but you know what, it has a purpose. It doesn't have many seams that could cause rattles. The dash is bland but it looks like it was molded from a single piece. The C63 is a sharp handling car, but it is a bit rough riding and I really appreciate the taught quality of the whole car. Not a single rattle just a nice solid thump when going over bumps. My E55 wasn't as solid feeling.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 AM

09' C63 AMG
Fantasm, how can you even debate between an SL63 and a C63??? Not even a contest, in any category, especially price!

220S, some people have different priorities. I could maybe agree with your view if you were driving an E63 but I would take the C63 over a E550 ANY day. You might have softer seats and a better navi, but my car drives and feels a million times better than your E! Case closed. You don’t buy this car for the interior; you buy it because you are a true enthusiast who can see past that crap... If you want luxury buy an S class but if you want performance or true sports car buy an SL63 or a C63.

As far as the little options, MB def F'ed up there, there is simple no justification for not including these things... However, they WILL include these later and of course the 08-09’s will be left in the cold. This happens every time you purchase any new model.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
If you're buying it purely for a sports car, then there are better sports cars out there.
So the only way to justify the C63 is that its a sports car, with some luxury and features -- however, it doesn't have any. So its in a weird position, and you buy it just cause you like it and can forget about the cars that are better, and the options that you are missing.

I would get one because it looks so good. Throw on some coilovers, and perhaps the EU 16 spoke AMG wheels and it'll look sick.. on the outside at least.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 AM

09' C63 AMG
I am curious? What cars do you think are better in its class?? I hope you dont think the M3...
Old 05-08-2009, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you're buying it purely for a sports car, then there are better sports cars out there.
So the only way to justify the C63 is that its a sports car, with some luxury and features -- however, it doesn't have any. So its in a weird position, and you buy it just cause you like it and can forget about the cars that are better, and the options that you are missing.

I would get one because it looks so good. Throw on some coilovers, and perhaps the EU 16 spoke AMG wheels and it'll look sick.. on the outside at least.
I agree. And I kinda like it and maybe I can forget what I see inside, and what's missing. But I think I'd feel sort of short-changed in a way.

I also own a 911 C2S (see my opening post); it's an actual sports car (sports cars are two seater, two-door cars, imho.) It's a 993 so it's not fast by current standards but it's outrageously fun to drive. I'd like a faster, good handling, 4-door C63 sedan but with some of the luxuries of a real GT car.

Or maybe I just want an E63 with the handling of the C63 or a M3 sedan. And that's what the C63 might have been.

And if it's trying to be 'less luxurious' just for the sake of it, then why not at least put more thought into it. I guess that's my big gripe/question. After all, it's a MB. I would just expect it to be better appointed. And if it's also quick and handles well, then it's perfect. As it is, the interior is a mishmash of afterthoughts. And it's lacking in options that are common in most all modern cars.

So, it's not quite a sports car and it's not quite a well appointed fast GT car. btw, even in the very latest issue of Star Magazine (MBCA) they mention the less than ideal interior and lack of options.

I think it is in kind of an odd position.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 AM

C63
I always had the excuse to the wife that its just a fast family car... since it has 4 doors. If that was indeed the case then the only choices would be the M5, M3 E63 and CTS-V. Plus its kinda convenient, I don't see anyone sitting at the back if we got a GTR for example.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
220S I can understand how you feel. I wouldn't say the interior is crappy of the C Class. The car as a whole doesn't compare to an E class or higher because its not meant to be in the same class of car. Also you can't compare a C300 (rental) to a C63 that much either. Therefore, I would suggest you test drive a C63 if you can and then make your decision. I am pretty sure you will end up buying one. I did and I had an S550 until just recently. Keep in mind that it is a completely different animal compared to the other Benzes. Yes, there are a few things missing here in the U.S. with the C63 but I am confident you will be able to make the adjustment easily.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:10 AM

'09 C63 AMG, '06 CTS-V
SL63 MSRP: $135,000, 2 Door Coupe
C63 MSRP: $56,300, 4 Door Sedan

Fantasm, out of curiosity, what were you debating? You could have bought the C63 and added Keyless Go, PDC, New Interior, and a whole lot more and STILL come in under $100k.

Last edited by thwalkerjr; 05-08-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: wanted to add a thought
Old 05-08-2009, 11:43 AM

Alot of cars
FYI - Keyless Go is an option available on 2010 C63 as well as Rear View Camera for the US market.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Nimbus
FYI - Keyless Go is an option available on 2010 C63 as well as Rear View Camera for the US market.
What about PDC?
Old 05-08-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
If you're looking for a reason to dislike the C63, then you'll focus on the abundance of plastic in the interior. That was my first impression when I was still on the M3 boat. "eewww, this interior... the dash is a sea of plastic, and look at the door lock pulls, like they came off a Neon, and the trunk hinge covers.... cheap cheap cheap." But, after a test drive and lots of thought, I realized the C63's strong points far outweigh things like the dash. In fact, I really like the dash now -- the design is fresh, and like Norb said -- no rattles.

The C is a very solid, well-engineered car, built after MB learned from mistakes in quality with the previous generations. I think the new E will be impressive as well and I like the E63. Maybe it will grow on you.

I realize when you're shopping, you look at every little detail. But think about the actual ownership experience, and the drive. Never once since I bought the C63 have I concerned myself about the dash or interior appearance (except that I like it now) Never have I wished I had an option I don't have (simpler is better IMO, less to go wrong) If anyone riding shotgun wants to comment on the interior, I imagine I will just floor it, spin the tires and make some noise... and show them what the car is all about. That will shut them up quick!

I am a huge fan of this car.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
If you're looking for a reason to dislike the C63, then you'll focus on the abundance of plastic in the interior. That was my first impression when I was still on the M3 boat. "eewww, this interior... the dash is a sea of plastic, and look at the door lock pulls, like they came off a Neon, and the trunk hinge covers.... cheap cheap cheap." But, after a test drive and lots of thought, I realized the C63's strong points far outweigh things like the dash. In fact, I really like the dash now -- the design is fresh, and like Norb said -- no rattles.

The C is a very solid, well-engineered car, built after MB learned from mistakes in quality with the previous generations. I think the new E will be impressive as well and I like the E63. Maybe it will grow on you.

I realize when you're shopping, you look at every little detail. But think about the actual ownership experience, and the drive. Never once since I bought the C63 have I concerned myself about the dash or interior appearance (except that I like it now) Never have I wished I had an option I don't have (simpler is better IMO, less to go wrong) If anyone riding shotgun wants to comment on the interior, I imagine I will just floor it, spin the tires and make some noise... and show them what the car is all about. That will shut them up quick!

I am a huge fan of this car.
Very well said Hans, no gripes about this car whastsoever, too many good points of this car that simply will outweigh any slight complaints about the interior, the Napa leather is beautiful when treated properly and the plastics are not the same plastics that you find in japanese and american cars.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:02 PM

09' C63 AMG
Is it possible to add keyless go to your 09' once mb offers it on the 2010 models??

I would def be interested in doing this depending on the price....
Old 05-08-2009, 07:17 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by DaGS1800
Is it possible to add keyless go to your 09' once mb offers it on the 2010 models??

I would def be interested in doing this depending on the price....

I doubt it since it would involve replacing the ignition key with a push button one which sounds hard.

What you can do is buy the remote start system from Mid City.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking about it....a C63