Car behind is too close

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by Stangar
The understanding of the word "maturity" seems to be clouded or misunderstood.

You have to realize that the majority of people doing stupid stuff are too stupid to know it, realize it, or just don't care.

After that realization, everything becomes clearer and your desire to "get even" or "teach a lesson" is not worth the effort.

Quit trying to change stupid people. There are too many out there.
I actually believe that this could have been a very useful thread. This problem is something many of us deal with on a daily basis. It is sad to see it turning into a useless discussion about maturity.

Unfortunately in this situation, the stupidity of the person behind cannot be ignored because it is a direct risk to our lives and property. I agree that trying to teach a lesson or get even with the offending party is less than smart, but it is good to bounce off ideas as to how other members deal with this issue.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Originally Posted by cyberorth
I actually believe that this could have been a very useful thread. This problem is something many of us deal with on a daily basis. It is sad to see it turning into a useless discussion about maturity.

Unfortunately in this situation, the stupidity of the person behind cannot be ignored because it is a direct risk to our lives and property. I agree that trying to teach a lesson or get even with the offending party is less than smart, but it is good to bounce off ideas as to how other members deal with this issue.
Agreed! But I think the issue needs to be adressed by local governments. They should be not only advertising safe driving but also teaching road manners. A lack of road manners is what I think leeds to road rage by others. If I dont move out of your way and hold you back, you will start to get very upset with me and may find an opportunity to not only pass me but cut me off just to show how mad you are. Think about it...how can I or you gat mad at another driver if they dont inhibit your driving?? And you can always defuse a situation that you may have caused, eg.( cut off a driver ) with a simple appology wave. When others do this to me and wave, I cool down so fast and give them a wave back and all is forgivin.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C63 steel grey
Originally Posted by 451/443=EW
Agreed! But I think the issue needs to be adressed by local governments. They should be not only advertising safe driving but also teaching road manners. A lack of road manners is what I think leeds to road rage by others. If I dont move out of your way and hold you back, you will start to get very upset with me and may find an opportunity to not only pass me but cut me off just to show how mad you are. Think about it...how can I or you gat mad at another driver if they dont inhibit your driving?? And you can always defuse a situation that you may have caused, eg.( cut off a driver ) with a simple appology wave. When others do this to me and wave, I cool down so fast and give them a wave back and all is forgivin.
although another inevitable situation that arises is that the 2nd car soon becomes that "slow car in the fast lane" to the 3rd car, and so on and so on until you have a logjam of 10+ cars, bumper to bumper at 65+mph - like a big metal turd clogging up the highway. Definitely not a setup for safety. This is definitely a serious issue that happens almost daily. All you can really do is leave about a cars length so you can hopefully avoid being rear-ended by the tailgater(s) behind you if #1 does something stupid.

another spin-off from these highway crap-trains is the bozo that tries to pass everyone on the right then squeeze in at the #1-2 spot (they're never quite fast enough to clear the whole train - that's why the train exists in the first place - because the traffic in the right lane prohibits successfully passing on the right) before smashing into that semi in the right lane. That's even more annoying to me than the slow #1 guy.

that will be 2 cents please.

(edit) I just realized I have the whole premise of this thread wrong. I'm approaching it from the perspective of the #2 guy because honestly who in this subforum (C63) frequently has someone riding their *** unless in the situation mentioned above, and in those cases how often are we the #1 guy? But like I said I usually leave about a cars length between - I don't want right lane traffic squeezing in(edit)

Last edited by tyanger; 06-02-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Porsche 911 Carerra 4S
I will try to speed up, or just laet him pass!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
06 SLK55, 22 EQS450
I normally just accelerate and move over. If there is someone ahead of me, i lift my foot off the accelerator. and wait for things to clear up, then punch it and move over if possible.

But what pisses me off is when I'm in my SLK, and someone is in front of me and some huge lifted truck or large SUV is right on my a**. they can see that i am stuck but they still are tail-gating. and the topper, even if i move out of the way, they still hover over my tail for about a 1/2 mile or so, then, pass me. I am pretty good about moving over after i am done passing everyone.

Another problem i seem to experience a lot of (in LA especially) is that people don't feel that they have to move over to the right lane. they will go the speed limit in the passing lane and not move over. so i have to pass them in the right lane and cut them off.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
They should change all signs that read, "Slower Traffic Keep Right", to say, "Keep Right Except To Pass".

Most people don't think that they're the "slower traffic".
Old 06-04-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63 AMG / 2007 BMW 130i M Sport
I would, normally, let the guy pass. Unless:

1) theres too much traffic in the right lane and I wouldnt be able to go back to the left lane doing so. In this case, I will accelerate a little to avoid the tailgating. if that doesnt work, Ill just leave him there until I can let him pass.

2) Im already on (or above) the speed limit and, still, the guy is making pressure to pass. In that case, Ill keep the speed and lane. He will just give up tailgating after a while.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
If I am waiting my turn in the log jam, I will let up a bit and then speed back up. A lot of people "wake up" when you do this. If they are just a$$holes, I will flash the brakes without slowing. If that still doesn't work, I will flash the brakes and then slowly brake a little to force them to hopefully wake up. Every now and then you get a bozo that is just clueless or purposely wants to try to kill everyone on the road and I try to move over when I can.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:06 PM

Mustang

Come on. Direct risk to your life and property? Get over yourself. Who are you? Use the left shoulder and show 'em. They'll get the message.

You could also pull over and count to 10. Take deep breathes. Keep repeating "Today, I'm going to be nice" and not flip anyone off that gets in my way.

Go apply to the state highway patrol for a new job.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 PM

AMG C63, Merc C230, Audi A3
Well, it has been a lot of responses to this topic. I just want you to ask you to think again about your response and at this time think that you have your kid on board.

I think that the part of the problem is a general driving culture. But the problem is that you can't teach old dog a new tricks. It's too easy to get a driving license in US and Canada. It's hard NOT TO PASS those tests. That was one of the things that actually surprised me when I came to Canada in 1994. It was way harder to get a license back home. My point is that it needs to be learned at the beginning of driving carrier.

Every time I go to Europe I am pleasantly surprised how polite drivers are out there. Left line is always for passing. But my favorite is that a truck drivers are showing you when it's safe to pass them on the 2-way highway.

Car behind too close is actually not my the most annoying thing. I more getting pissed off about people driving without headlights at night and not showing turn signal and when you trying to tell them that they flip you a bird! Why don't they use the same finger to move the freaking lever???? Speaking of driving culture...
Old 06-08-2009, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Smile

Come on. Direct risk to your life and property? Get over yourself. Who are you? Use the left shoulder and show 'em. They'll get the message.

You could also pull over and count to 10. Take deep breathes. Keep repeating "Today, I'm going to be nice" and not flip anyone off that gets in my way.

Go apply to the state highway patrol for a new job.
Haha, too funny.
I'd take it that you have never had the pleasure of being rear-ended; while driving, that is.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Mustang
Haha, too funny.
I'd take it that you have never had the pleasure of being rear-ended; while driving, that is.
I can picture certain individuals, on this forum, getting in these "left lane trains" and being indignant about their refusal to move to the right because some other guy is stuck to their bumper.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can picture certain individuals, on this forum, getting in these "left lane trains" and being indignant about their refusal to move to the right because some other guy is stuck to their bumper.
Fair enough.