Sponsored by:

Do I need PP?? Or just modify???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500
Do I need PP?? Or just modify???

Maybe this has been asked. I searched but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. As the title states, if I get PP do I really need to modify with Kleemann or Evosport? Is the suspension that much better, my dealer doesn't have one to drive and experience the difference. I'm sure the price to modify afterwards will be quite a bit higher. 174 mph would suffice for a year or two, hopefully!!! I enjoy a tight suspension the car I drove feels pretty good, damn I wish I could drive both with PP and without. Come on guys, some of you must have driven both....
Old 07-27-2009, 01:45 AM

bike
If you're modding, PP is a waste.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
+1

You can get a proper LSD, such as the OS Giken or Quaiffe
You can get two piece rotors for all four corners from EVO.
If you upgrade the ECU, that takes care of the delimiter.
A KWv3 would do nicely.
At first I thought the alcantara steering wheel was cool, but then realized how much of a PITA it might be to keep clean.

Just my .02, but the proper performance package should have been:

Upgraded ECU-how hard would that have been??
two piece rotors for all four wheels
A real LSD like the OS G.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, S550, Tesla Model S Performance, Challenger SRT8
Originally Posted by Even Money

At first I thought the alcantara steering wheel was cool, but then realized how much of a PITA it might be to keep clean.
It's not hard to clean at all.

1. Get towel
2. Wipe steering wheel

I drove a non-PP and a PP car back to back and there is a big difference in how they drive. On the test drive I could instantly tell a difference. The tighter suspension is great!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:36 AM

2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
Originally Posted by Even Money
+1

You can get a proper LSD, such as the OS Giken or Quaiffe
You can get two piece rotors for all four corners from EVO.
If you upgrade the ECU, that takes care of the delimiter.
A KWv3 would do nicely.

Just my .02, but the proper performance package should have been:

Upgraded ECU-how hard would that have been??
two piece rotors for all four wheels
A real LSD like the OS G.
IF money and MB warranty is not an issue then I can agree.
But lets just do a rough estimate...
Qualife or OS Giken - $2-3K + install
Evo Rotors - $1K + install
KWv3 - $2-2.5K + install
That is over $6+K
Is it really that much better than a PP for a guy who likes stiff suspension?
Since there is a discout going on 09 C63's at the moment why not get a PP?
And don't forget about warranty.
I have PP on my car, but I never drove a non PP car. My friend who had E46 M3 and now has E92 M3 drove my car and said that it is very similar to M3 suspension.
Just my thoughts
Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
Yeah...w/ the current deals getting PP is probably not a bad idea. Also, if you're not much into doing mods yourself, and like the stiff ride, then go for it. I actually don't like the alcantara sterring wheel, so unfortunately, you can't order the other items, sushi menu style.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 AM

2006 CLS500
Anyone know about a deal on the west coast on a silver PP? I don't think I will mod it. Looking to jump in quickly...
Old 07-30-2009, 04:30 PM

'08 Carrera S, '08 S4 Avant
Performance Package is better

I drive a 911 Carrera S, but I am switching to a C63 with PP. I have owned a E46 M3, so I was convinced that I wanted the new M3. I drove it, and it didn't boil my blood like the the previous (e46) M3 or the current (997)911 S did. The new M3 is a WONDERFUL car... But a bit too neutral/unexciting for me. I was blown away when I drove the C63 with PP. It put a kid-like grin on my face. I drove the a non-PP car and car with PP back to back and I thought there was little a minimal difference as far stiffness. The regular suspension did not provide as much feedback and confidence. The base suspension seemed to have a relatively stiff suspension WITHOUT the reward.

Going from the 911 to the regular C63 would be too much of a trade-off for me.

I hope this helps. Enjoy.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
I think it really depends on what you're used to, what your expectations are for the car, and how/when you plan on driving it. For example, I came from a tuned BMW 335i with stock suspension, and although it was quite fast with plenty of TQ, one of my dislikes of that car was that I felt uneasy about driving it at high speeds. Even with the BMW 335i's stock "sport" suspension, it still seemed to lack confidence at higher speeds; it can actually get downright scary taking some "higher speed" turns, etc. with the BMW 335i, imho.

I've driven a new M3, and yes, it handles like a go-cart, but I coming from a high-TQ tuned 335i (approx. 400BHP/420 lb-ft TQ), I was very unimpressed by the M3's lack of TQ and the fact that you really have to wind it up to get good power.

Now, I have the '09 C63 w/ oem AMG suspension (non PP), and I can say without any doubt, that the C63 AMG outhandles the BMW 335i BY FAR; it just seems so much more stable at higher speeds (at any speed really ) and has 10x more confidence than the BMW 335i. Now, as compared to an E90/E92 M3, well, that may be a different story. But, for me, I can say that so far, I am very happy with the C63 AMG's (non-PP) suspension and handling, and feel that the PP isn't necessary for DD. However, with that said, I still think it would be nice to have an LSD on this car, and time will tell if I really feel that it may be necessary.

Last edited by sflgator; 07-30-2009 at 05:27 PM.