Sponsored by:

Harman Kardon...advice and YOUR thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
Harman Kardon...advice and YOUR thoughts

I must admit that I have been spoilt when it comes to my recent in-car sounds...two out of my three BMW's had upgraded Logic-7 and the M3 had the premium 850 watt 'Individual' system and was fantastic.

I actually thought the HK system in the C63 would have been similar to the Logic-7 in the BMW (they are both made by HK after all) and initially I was very impressed with the unit in the MB. Indeed, it appears to be a crisper sound to BMW's Logic-7 and the surround sound effect is better.

But, and it's a big BUT...when you turn the sound up, I think the tweeters provide a very harsh sound which can occasionally make it uncomfortable to listen to at medium to high volume. If it wasn't for this flaw, and again this is just my opinion, then it would be perfect.

So, for those who have HK or have experience of it, what are your thoughts?

And, if there are any experts out there, some questions....
  • What can I do to get rid of the harshness?
  • Can I simply change the tweeters for a less harsh type?
  • If so, any recommendations and how easy would these be to fit?

Any advice and/or opinion greatly appreciated!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
People actually listen to the stereo that in depth in this car???
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
The BMW HK Logic 7 System is in fact way better than the MB C63 AMG HK Logic 7 system; not sure why but it was a real disappointment for me as well when I thought I was getting as good if not better of a sound system in my C63.

Anyhow, although I haven't noticed any "harshness" or other issues with my car's tweeters, I did notice a major lack of bass since there is no real dedicated subwoofer (like the one in the BMW 3-series). So, I solved that problem (very inexpensively I might add) if you're interested ...

https://mbworld.org/forums/3700776-post11.html

My HK Logic 7 sound system now rocks!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by Merc63
People actually listen to the stereo that in depth in this car???
+1

I thought people buy the C63 to listen to the engine, not the audio system.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
+1

I thought people buy the C63 to listen to the engine, not the audio system.
Well, it doesn't hurt to have the option of listening to the stereo when you want to, I guess.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I pretty much listen to Sirius with an occasional dvd of mp3s. I'm happy with the sound. It's acceptable.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
I had a BMW 550 before my C63 and I totally agree that although the sound system has the same name, the sound was much better in the BMW even though it had fewer speakers. Having said that, I don't find any issue with the tweeters. It's the lack of bass at medium to high volume that it most noticeable. Anyway, most of the time, I much prefer the sound of my engine than the sound of my radio.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Palmball
But, and it's a big BUT...when you turn the sound up, I think the tweeters provide a very harsh sound which can occasionally make it uncomfortable to listen to at medium to high volume.
I agree...when I turn the volume up I find myself having to turn it back down within a few minutes...it's the high frequencies that are the problem. Better quality source material helps...Sirius is more problematic than CD's and iPod (Apple lossless).
Old 10-02-2009, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
I dont really listen my music at a high volume (rather hear the exhaust). Still, you can always add some an extra SUB in the back and it rlly does enhance the system a LOT like sflgator and i did. He gave me the idea to add a 10 inch infinity BassLink and so I did. Sounds really really good now and it doesnt take up much space in the trunk.

On a side note, if you think that BMW's or Mercedes sound system is actually any good, you should listen to the Mark Levinson surround system on a Lexus LS460. In my honest opinion, is the best surround car system i've enjoyed my whole life, nothing compares to Mark Levinson.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:06 AM

C63 AMG
Personally I think the HK system is more than enough for normal guy like me who demand high quality stereo. (well i have the Logic 7)

However u sure u wanna listen to ur stereo while driving ??
Old 10-03-2009, 02:34 AM

2007 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by soldier2304
I dont really listen my music at a high volume (rather hear the exhaust). Still, you can always add some an extra SUB in the back and it rlly does enhance the system a LOT like sflgator and i did. He gave me the idea to add a 10 inch infinity BassLink and so I did. Sounds really really good now and it doesnt take up much space in the trunk.

On a side note, if you think that BMW's or Mercedes sound system is actually any good, you should listen to the Mark Levinson surround system on a Lexus LS460. In my honest opinion, is the best surround car system i've enjoyed my whole life, nothing compares to Mark Levinson.
Not that impressed with the MB HK sound systems. But am with your veihcile - it is stunning.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM

2005 G35
Palmball - I have to say I agree with you on the harshness at higher volumns. It may have something to do with what type of music we are listening to, or possibly the speaker placement. The system does seem to have good midrange and highs, but as several have mentioned, the base leaves something to be desired.

I am thinking strongly of following the suggestion above to go with the Basslink from Infiniti since you can get that at less than half price from Amazon. My local stereo shop is pricy for the install ($125) since they don't sell that speaker. They lean towards Focal but that is $500 - $700 and more than I want to spend since the majority of the time I want to just listen to the engine and exhaust...
Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by azlane
Palmball - I have to say I agree with you on the harshness at higher volumns. It may have something to do with what type of music we are listening to, or possibly the speaker placement. The system does seem to have good midrange and highs, but as several have mentioned, the base leaves something to be desired.

I am thinking strongly of following the suggestion above to go with the Basslink from Infiniti since you can get that at less than half price from Amazon. My local stereo shop is pricy for the install ($125) since they don't sell that speaker. They lean towards Focal but that is $500 - $700 and more than I want to spend since the majority of the time I want to just listen to the engine and exhaust...
I paid approx. $200 for the Infinity Basslink and $80 for the install at a local custom car stereo shop; makes a world of difference in the sound of my C63's HK Logic 7 system! Now, my only issue is I'm constantly torn between listening to my tunes at a decently loud level and turning it way down to listen to the wonderfully pleasing sounds of my C63 AMG!

Last edited by sflgator; 10-03-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 287 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Super old thread but I have to chime in-

The harshness in the highs is probably the speakers needing to break in. Every speaker- and especially metal driver speakers used in the C class - need to break in.
Metal driver speakers need a long time- 200-500 hours to sound their best.
So break them in first before decidig you need to upgrade!
Old 11-16-2014, 04:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
C63 AMG
I agree with the OP. I have had higher end sound systems in my past cars (S-class and 7-series) and my HK system in the C63 is too harsh and sharp at louder volumes. I thought it was just me but I am now for certain it is the car and it's system. I've tried all the settings and a variety of songs and the problem persists. I even took it to MB and they said the sound system and speakers are fine.

As for breaking in the speakers, that is in no way applicable to my car as it has 50k kms and should have enough time to "break in".

Any way of getting rid of this harshness besides going the aftermarket route and getting the speaker system gutted?
Old 11-16-2014, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Yeah....not on par with other car makers, but whatever...Mercedes has never done that well in my opiion.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Razzy
I agree with the OP. I have had higher end sound systems in my past cars (S-class and 7-series) and my HK system in the C63 is too harsh and sharp at louder volumes. I thought it was just me but I am now for certain it is the car and it's system. I've tried all the settings and a variety of songs and the problem persists. I even took it to MB and they said the sound system and speakers are fine.

As for breaking in the speakers, that is in no way applicable to my car as it has 50k kms and should have enough time to "break in".

Any way of getting rid of this harshness besides going the aftermarket route and getting the speaker system gutted?
The source makes a huge difference. Use a CD (not a digital file unless it's lossless), and compare how that same track sounds on other systems. That's the only way to judge effectively.
A compressed song will sound like sh*t if you listen closely. The better the system, the worse the compressed songs will sound.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:01 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Surge
The source makes a huge difference. Use a CD (not a digital file unless it's lossless), and compare how that same track sounds on other systems. That's the only way to judge effectively.
A compressed song will sound like sh*t if you listen closely. The better the system, the worse the compressed songs will sound.
What about MP3 files played through Bluetooth from my iPhone? That's my set up currently. I tried playing from the SD Card and Aux connected to my iPhone but it barely helps if at all.

I have yet to try CD's.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you'll find a dramatic difference with a CD. Choose an excellently recorded CD (not all are alike!).
Old 11-16-2014, 11:46 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Surge
I think you'll find a dramatic difference with a CD. Choose an excellently recorded CD (not all are alike!).
what do you mean excellently recorded? What if I burn one with a selection of my songs?
Old 11-17-2014, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No, that will sound the almost same as streaming the file over bluetooth.

I mean buy an original CD that is well recorded. Better yet get a DVD-Audio disc that has been reviewed to be truly excellent.

Not all CDs / MP3s / whatever are recorded the same. So the sound quality will differ greatly.

Just get a DVD-A disc with your favorite genre of music and be prepared for the difference!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:24 PM

2014 C63
I use an SD card but my music files are mostly 8mb+ vs. the usual 4mb for the sake of better quality. But a real CD in most cases does sound a lot better but Surge is definitely right about DVD discs. The quality improves greatly. I have to add I love my C63 sound system, the bass kicks strong enough to make me sick haha.. My now former Touareg had a garbage sound system.
On a side note I have an HK system but I read somewhere most Mercedes will have Bang & Olufsen going forward (may already have happened), my laptop and most of my home is equipped with Bang & Olufsen and they make some wonderful sound.