C63 or M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 330
C63 or M3

Hi guys.

Im a new member here from Sweden and im looking for to why my new car im planning to get after new year should be the C63.

I have alway driven BMW's and never had any problems with them so maybe i should think why change to another brand if you dont have any problems but the new c63 really got my attention, honestly the first time i thought of about buying a mercedes.

So its either the new m3 coupe or the c63 sedan...

Engine wise i am more impressed with bmw's, i still think they make better engines than mercedes.

but the c63 i dont know, i really love it...

what do you think
Old 10-03-2009, 05:52 PM

BMW 330
sorry, just saw the other topic about the same thing... feel free to move it if its a problem
Old 10-03-2009, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
The 4.0 V8 is more impressive as regards power per liter but the 6.2 has far more raw power...M3 handles a little better but C63 is a step in the right direction and not far behind unless at 10/10ths

Can't go wrong with either...

-Rob
Old 10-03-2009, 09:05 PM

C63
if your still thinking at this point go for the m its what you need.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:49 PM

BMW 330
i am actualy more onto the c63... m3 is a great car but i feel like i need a sedan and i dont want the m3 sedan.. i always had a coupe and you pretty much get tired of it.
im waiting to test drive the c63 to make up my mind... hopefully the comfort is better than the m3...
Old 10-04-2009, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
One word... torque!

The M3 feels like and expensive S2000. It handles like its on rails but it doesnt have "go" until its up there in the RPM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this is a MB forum, the responses would reflect that. If you can afford both, buy the one you like. You are driving it, not us. TC
Old 10-04-2009, 06:53 AM

C63
Really personal. I felt in love with the exhaust on the C63. Also if your car will rarely see track time, there is IMHO no reason to go with the M3. It does handle better, but on a day to day the C63 might handle just as well in a not so demanding environment.

But again, this is something for you to decided on your own both are cars are the very best in the category so I am sure you will be happy with either one.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
G63, SLS, CLK63 BS, 812GTS, 296GTB, 599GTB, 575M, 356 Speedster, 992GT3 Touring, Taycan Turbo S CT
I drove the M3 first and then the C63 and to me it was no comparison.

It really depends what you intend on using the car for? For the Road the C63 is more fun, sounds a bucket load better and have 50% MORE TORQUE!!

Although the M3 does handle better and would therefore be a much better track car. If it is for the road I would buy the C63.

PS - When comes to buying the M3 V8 I would save the money and buyer a 335CI. Same torque and easier to Mod!
Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 AM

BMW 330
Thanks guys, i dont use the track at all, so its only daily driving i want...i still havent test droven the c63... only the e55... but ofcourse im anot comparing those 2...

i guess im just trying to find an exscuse for myselfe or a reason to why go for a mercedes..maybe im in need for a change

but anyway i guess when i drive the c63 i will know what to choose...

and off topic just one question that i have been wondering about...

about c32 and c55... when did the first come out and when the second... what im wondering is why did the c55 only come out with like 10-11 more hp?

any plans for a c65 next year(s)
Old 10-04-2009, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by BMW?
about c32 and c55... when did the first come out and when the second... what im wondering is why did the c55 only come out with like 10-11 more hp?

any plans for a c65 next year(s)
Negative. There are NO plans for a C65.

The C55 saw AMG spend a little more time on the suspension and moving to non-forced induction power....it was not just about the numbers. C32 was MY02, C55 MY05.

All this information is on this site, it is better to search for yourself...
Old 10-04-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
axe muderer with headlights
The M3 is a much purer car, but the C63 is just a beast.

If you like technology then the M3 has much more to offer, it's years beyond MB's partly technology.

You should spend some time in each car to make your own decision though.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:51 PM

BMW 330
thanks for the answers guys. in a way i am trying to find reasons to choose the c63 over the m3... i will be able to put an order after the new year and its a tough decision.. here in sweden they are both in the same price category so its one of those...

both are surely great cars so i guess its individual to what to like...
for me the amg is much nicer both in and out... i really think bmw failed after the wonderful e46 m3...
Old 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by iatacs19
The M3 is a much purer car, but the C63 is just a beast.

If you like technology then the M3 has much more to offer, it's years beyond MB's partly technology...
Why you gotta go and say a thing like that?
You gonna brung some heat naw...
Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by cyberorth
Why you gotta go and say a thing like that?
You gonna brung some heat naw...
m3's suspension setup and M diff is certainly beyond what AMG can offer however its the engine that kills the M3
Old 10-05-2009, 02:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Before I bought my C63 I had E46 M3 CSL. I mean this was a great fun. The car was light and good engine. Since you are not going to track then C63 I think its better car with a lot of power. But for track I think M3 is much quicker. But I would just drive both and choose. There both nice car to drive. I always wish that I can buy both if I had the money.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
It's obvious the OP wants to be convinced to buy a C63, so somebody convince him. Both are great cars, with the C63 you're buying a motor, with the M3 you're buying a chassis.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:30 PM

17' 991.2 S, 15' Sierra Denali 1500, 14' W212 AMG S
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
It's obvious the OP wants to be convinced to buy a C63, so somebody convince him. Both are great cars, with the C63 you're buying a motor, with the M3 you're buying a chassis.
That's the way I think of it too. The M3 motor is still a mad beast after 5500 rpm though. However, I can think of some things i did like better in the m3. The carbon leather trim, the optional upgraded sound system, standard LSD, and CF roof standard on the coupe. The benz took the cake with the steering wheel (perforated leather feels so much better in your hands than "soft" leather), seats, torque, sound, and seating position.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Exclamation

After all the negative waves posted against MB and all things being equal I rather be in Philadelphia. If I were in BMW?'s shoes I'd go for a Porsche Panamera biturbo, since 4 doors is what's being looked for.

I cannot understand how AMG owners can put their car down when all it takes is a few mods to send it through the roof and amaze a Beemer owner. We are not talking about economy cars here, so money is not the issue.

Regards, JV.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 PM

BMW 330
except the panamera is almost twice the price...

im pkaning though to get the c63 no matter what...when the time is up i will let you know what i decided in the end and show you some pictures
Old 10-05-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'08 C63 AMG (turned in for lease)
For some reason I get the feeling that you're going to go with the C63.

Anyway, I obviously I like the engine, and yada yada yada about the C63. However one of the biggest issues I had with the M3 is that in Los Angeles they're EVERYWHERE. I see at least 2-3 per day, where I see maybe 2-3 C63's a week. There is something to be said about having a car that you feel is special, and not every D-bag has one... maybe thats just me. Might also explain why I had to mod both the engine and the exterior. It would just kill me if I was at a light and someone else was driving basically the exact same car as me. What makes mine different?

Southern California is such a car culture (we don't have any public transportation worth mentioning) so this might not be as big of an issue in the rest of the world.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:29 AM

2002M3
Originally Posted by BMW?
Hi guys.

Im a new member here from Sweden and im looking for to why my new car im planning to get after new year should be the C63.

I have alway driven BMW's and never had any problems with them so maybe i should think why change to another brand if you dont have any problems but the new c63 really got my attention, honestly the first time i thought of about buying a mercedes.

So its either the new m3 coupe or the c63 sedan...

Engine wise i am more impressed with bmw's, i still think they make better engines than mercedes.

but the c63 i dont know, i really love it...

what do you think
M3 if you're a coupe guy, you won't be disappointed.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...e-m3-gt-r.html
Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 AM

09 Eurocharged C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Danny_Boy
For some reason I get the feeling that you're going to go with the C63.

Anyway, I obviously I like the engine, and yada yada yada about the C63. However one of the biggest issues I had with the M3 is that in Los Angeles they're EVERYWHERE. I see at least 2-3 per day, where I see maybe 2-3 C63's a week. There is something to be said about having a car that you feel is special, and not every D-bag has one... maybe thats just me. Might also explain why I had to mod both the engine and the exterior. It would just kill me if I was at a light and someone else was driving basically the exact same car as me. What makes mine different?

Southern California is such a car culture (we don't have any public transportation worth mentioning) so this might not be as big of an issue in the rest of the world.
Same scenario here in the North Jersey/NYC area. Once the M3's were being "fire sale" with below invoice prices and cheap lease deals more and more people were able to get into an M3 making them more visible on the roads. It certainly is a nice car don't get me wrong and maybe if I wasn't in my C63 already heck I would save a couple grand easily and taken an M3. When it all comes down to it, money talks and this certainly wont be my last car.

On the other hand, who wants to be associated with those fanboys anyways. On the M3 boards they bash every car the M3 is compared to with the same koolaid drinking comments. No wonder why every time I see one on the road I'm always looking to rack up another kill.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:57 PM

BMW 330
sold my bmw few hours ago...so now its just to get though the waiting time for the spring to order one, cant wait
Old 10-10-2009, 08:42 AM

W204 C63 AMG, E60 530i, E46 325i
My post from a similar thread:

Originally Posted by "iftwb
Hi all, first post! Posting from Sydney, Australia.
In about a weeks time, I'm going to put my order in for a C63 AMG in Obsidian Black with black interior. I'm getting very excited!

Just to give you Yanks a heads up, your going to get shocked at the price of how much luxury, high performance cars cost here in Australia. Straight to the facts:
1. Mercedes-Benz W204 C63 AMG costs $160,000AUD - $144,000USD.
2. BMW E90 M3 costs $170,000AUD - $154,000USD
3. BMW E92/E93 M3 costs $180,000AUD - $163,000USD
You guys can buy 65' AMGs with that sort of money can't you?

Well, initially I was in the same dilemma. I couldn't choose between the E90 M3 Sedan and the W204 C63 AMG. Obviously coming from a background of owning both Mercedes-Benz cars and BMW cars; it was a very hard choice. Throughout almost 2 decades of owning both brands, I've developed a distinct view of both car brands: 'You ride in a Mercedes-Benz, you drive a BMW'. In actual sense after owning several vehicles from both brands, its kind of true - to an extent.

The first thing I did was obviously test drive both vehicles. I can't stress that this is the first, foremost important thing you should do when you can't decided between two cars - and it would help to test drive them both on the same day. How'd they went?

C63 AMG Performance/Handling - My reaction was priceless - my jaw just dropped driving this car. I couldn't fathom how much power this car had. The power, torque and of course that infamous exhaust sound, are all equalling contributing factors to the addictive feeling this car creates. The suspension, handling were all fine. I didn't feel any harshness over different roads or bumps - something you'd expect from AMG wouldn't you?

The sound is by far the most prominent feature about the car, apart from its obvious monstrous power and torque. It's sound is as about as reputable as the infamous E60 M5 V10 sound, but obviously in a different category of sound - that being the 2nd most beautiful V8 sound I've heard in my life. 1st being the 7.0L LS7 V8 in the Corvette.

I just love the fact that the off-the-line acceleration needs acceleration modulation in order to get the the best traction possible. After a good solid 20 minute session test drive, I can simply say, this car is a power monster at anyone's disposal and its purpose is best served on big open roads, highways or motorways.

E90 M3 Performance/Handling - Okay, I expected a lot from this car because I've driven a family friends E46 M3 quite often and I must say, it is rightfully deserves a place as one of the best vehicles ever produced - and the E46 M3 CSL just compliments this fact. My expectation of this car was the highest I've ever had with any car. Its history is a legacy developed from the E30 M3 that won soooo many motorsport races. It's a legacy that formulates that distinquished image of M division, an image parallel to what a Porsche represents - the real driving experience.

Giving the E90 M3 a drive, I must say, it lacks a little in both performance, handling and of course, driving experience/feeling compared to its Coupe, 2-door E92 derivative. Simply put, I'm saying that the M3 should have never been a 4-door saloon. I know it was a move by BMW to facilitate for a wider customer base, but I can't stress that point enough. It just didn't feel like I was driving an M, more so just some different luxury, high performance car; and not an M3!

The performance of the car is great. The 4.0L V8 is very responsive, in fact more responsive than the C63 AMG. I know that there is a 5000rpm band before you harness most of the power, but its responsiveness was awesome across all bands. It felt tamed and not as unleashed as the C63, and power was only unleashed when I wanted it to. I felt more in control, especially with the M-DCT. Of course, the handling was superb. Not overall greater than the C63's, but definitely more enjoyable and comfortable. It's a BMW for crying out loud, there is an embedded expectation that its handling, suspension and comfort are out of this world! Overall, the driving experience of the E90 M3 was much more involved, fun and enjoyable. That's only if you don't have the windows down to hear the exhaust of the C63 AMG.

But before I made any final decisions, I decided to wait a bit and do my own research about what the rest of the world thinks. Obviously posting my question on a brand-specific car forum, I'm going to get even more biased opinions so instead I just looked up plenty of car reviews.

I must say, that after looking around at almost every YouTube video of the typical M3 vs C63 comparison, automotive articles and journals and actually counting them; I found that at least 60-70% of the reviews voted in favor of the M3. Some to mention: Edmunds, Top Gear UK, Top Gear AUS, Fifth Gear and a couple of German comparisons.
I wasn't suprised at all though because I immediately thought about the overall package of both cars, not just the mere power comparison between the two cars. I knew the C63 AMG was a power monster, but I realized that you would have to expect this, it is after all a 6.2L engine which is already 2.2L bigger than the V8 found in the M3; and that's going to provide you with more power and torque.

I also found that the E9x M3 is definitely a faster car around most of the tracks that both cars were compared on. Notably, Top Gear UKs power track and of course the infamous Nurburgring. But in the end:
I went with the C63 AMG. Funnily enough...

Why? Simply put in the most basic explanation I can possibly give:

Get the C63 AMG - if you are simply put, a power hungry car enthusiast. You're into just simply stepping on that lovely gas pedal, and feeling your car go a few car lengths ahead of those you race. You want simplicity with your driving experience, not complication. You want to just step on the pedal and off you go.

Get the E9x M3 - if you are simply put, a pure track car enthusiast. You're into the whole package and most importantly the handling is your advantage over those with more power. Buy this car if you want to drive around knowing that you bought a track legend, a legacy in automotive engineering. You want an involved car, you want to be in control, you want to feel like your buying an actual sports, high performance car like it was made for!

I chose the C63 AMG because it was going to be my daily driver. All I was going to use it for was driving to work which mainly involved open highways and motorways. That was it, and I would probably track it every now and then at my two local track courses. So if I am going to be commuting like this often, why not get the car that has more power, make the most of the power from the bigger engine and just have fun on open roads?

If I was a track car enthusiast, or if the E9x M3 had equivalent power to the C63 AMG, I would buy the M3 within a heart beat. I can't stress it enough, M3 is a legacy that will never be forgotten. It is the driver's car...