Sponsored by:

how long does it take for this car to stop using oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
how long does it take for this car to stop using oil

I've got 6600 miles and am still using at a little less than one quart/1000miles
Old 10-06-2009, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
It stops using oil when you stop driving it
Old 10-06-2009, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
After 7.5k mi., I had to stop one time (~ 6k mi.) at an MB dealer service dept. to have them add 1 qt. of oil @ n/c. My tuned F/I tt BMW 335i also burned 1 qt. of oil every so often as well.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:35 PM

09 C63 11 E350
I had to add only one quart-during break in. At 2600 miles oil consumption is nill.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 PM

05 C55
Originally Posted by dmyrick
I've got 6600 miles and am still using at a little less than one quart/1000miles
many people question the need to follow proper break in for their engines. just curious if you followed Mercedes guidelines? some engines just take longer for the rings to seat also. are you seeing a lot of blue smoke?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
fwiw, I followed MB's advice on breaking in the motor. It used oil until 1.5k and then after that (now at 6k) it hasn't needed any. An E63 but same motor, of course.

p.s., for the record it's been driven hard a lot on M and keeping the rpms up there.....

Last edited by 220S; 10-06-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
A new motor to seat? This is a factory motor, guys. It isn't the handbuilt type anymore. I've never heard of an E63 eating less oil with time. Not saying it isn't so, but also challengiing it as the trend. What I have seen is some that eat LOTS and some that just eat a bit. As I said in the other thread, simply document it to be safe later. Other than that, enjoy....
Old 10-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by jangy
A new motor to seat? This is a factory motor, guys. It isn't the handbuilt type anymore. I've never heard of an E63 eating less oil with time. Not saying it isn't so, but also challengiing it as the trend. What I have seen is some that eat LOTS and some that just eat a bit. As I said in the other thread, simply document it to be safe later. Other than that, enjoy....
I thought they were still hand-built. "one man, one engine"
Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by e1000
I thought they were still hand-built. "one man, one engine"
AMG is no longer a tuning arm. The AMGs are now made at the factory. The 63 was the first AMG motor to be made by MB. I dunno about 1 man one motor part, I just know that they are not like P car motors that need to set seals.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
AMG is no longer a tuning arm. The AMGs are now made at the factory. The 63 was the first AMG motor to be made by MB. I dunno about 1 man one motor part, I just know that they are not like P car motors that need to set seals.
The 63 motor was the first motor that was made by AMG, not MB. Before the 63, all AMG motors were modified MB motors.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

fwiw, I was in Affalterbach in 2000 and they were trucking in the completed car chassis from Sindelfingen and the final assembly was all done in Affalterbach. The year before, Daimler had bought out about half of AMG. Before that (about 20 years ago) they had a contract deal to work with each other (eg, the C36.) The racing development was being done in Burgstall, but AMG has been in Affalterbach for over 30 years.

It was only about 4 years ago that MB bought out the rest of the AMG's shares. But AMG is still legally only a subsidiary called Mercedes-AMG GmbH. And the motors are still made in Affalterbach. I assume the motors are now shipped to Sindelfingen and the cars are finished there(?)

So, yeah, they are "now made at the factory" as Jangy implies. Since MB owns 100% of the AMG Affalterbach factory. Although AMG is a separate subsidiary of MB..... but MB is calling all the shots now.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These are factory built motors. Just because one guy assembles the whole motor doesn't mean they aren't "factory built."

That said, my engine did eat more oil at first, but less now. But that's not to say it won't be eating more as times goes by..... I was just pointing it out.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by 220S
These are factory built motors. Just because one guy assembles the whole motor doesn't mean they aren't "factory built."

That said, my engine did eat more oil at first, but less now. But that's not to say it won't be eating more as times goes by..... I was just pointing it out.
How do you define "factory built"? I mean, yes, they are technically built in a factory. I'm pretty sure that one person builds a 63 engine from start to finish. "One man, one engine". Also, the 63 powerplant is completely different than all other AMG engines before it. ALL other AMG engines were based off of a Mercedes Benz factory engine. They would take those engines, modify them, tune them and label them AMG. The 63 engine is different in that it was developed by AMG, strictly for AMG cars. It shares very few parts with any other Mercedes powerplant and the design is completely from scratch.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM

2009 Black C63 AMG
I recently had the opportunity to tour the "factory" in Affalterbach, June, this year. The first floor of the engine plant is for the construction of the "63" engine. The second floor is for every other AMG engine that is currently in production. 65, 55, etc. On the first floor, each master technician, the assemblers whose name appears on the engine plaque, is the only person to touch each engine. They draw a motor block, with the specific model info and move it from station to station assembling each set of components, ie, cams, pistons, etc. The engine blocks for all 63 engines are identical. The differences are in the oil pan, wiring harness, etc. Theoretically, each C63 AMG motor block could have been built as a E63 AMG, S63 AMG, SL63 AMG, etc.

Last edited by RM-6302; 10-07-2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:09 AM

09 Eurocharged C63 AMG
I find this thread quite interesting because my car has burned a lot of oil ever since I got it. I been averaging in the beginning about a quart every 2K miles or so ( I think that is the factory spec for the first 10K miles). However my car this week did put out another "Check Engine Oil Level At Next Stop" and my car has little over 19K on the clock. I drive the car hard in manual mode but rarely do I ever get it to red line because I have sufficient enough power in the lower RPMs. I do however drive around town in the lower gears using the engine to slow down so I can hear the burbble of the AMG exhaust. I also have had some random CEL come on then disappear over the last few weeks. I haven't found any oil spots by my parking space, however I wonder if this is still normal to be burning oil after this many miles (19K)
Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
My car needed a quart @ 4k miles, but that was with only a few spirited drive. Now my car has 7k miles and I have done plenty of hard driving since 4k, but no oil light yet.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How do you define "factory built"? I mean, yes, they are technically built in a factory. I'm pretty sure that one person builds a 63 engine from start to finish. "One man, one engine". Also, the 63 powerplant is completely different than all other AMG engines before it. ALL other AMG engines were based off of a Mercedes Benz factory engine. They would take those engines, modify them, tune them and label them AMG. The 63 engine is different in that it was developed by AMG, strictly for AMG cars. It shares very few parts with any other Mercedes powerplant and the design is completely from scratch.
Yeah we all know that.

The point is that it's not a hand built motor in the true sense (like the older P-cars, etc.) nor like it was being done at Affalterbach (and Burgstall) before the MB purchase of AMG. The E63 was developed by MB, with "AMG" as its wholly owned subsidiary. Legally they are separate but AMG is no longer an autonomous tuner doing hand built work in the true sense, it's now really just another branch and factory of MB's. MB governs "AMG" 100% and makes all the technical and marketing decisions.

I'm assuming that was part of Jangy's point.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Yeah we all know that.

The point is that it's not a hand built motor in the true sense (like the older P-cars, etc.) nor like it was being done at Affalterbach (and Burgstall) before the MB purchase of AMG. The E63 was developed by MB, with "AMG" as its wholly owned subsidiary. Legally they are separate but AMG is no longer an autonomous tuner doing hand built work in the true sense, it's now really just another branch and factory of MB's. MB governs "AMG" 100% and makes all the technical and marketing decisions.

I'm assuming that was part of Jangy's point.
what makes a motor hand built in a "true sense"??? If building a motor from scratch, as your own design, not starting from anything related to Mercedes and then having your own factory technicians build and assemble them by hand, one person per engine, start to finish isn't hand built, I really don't know what is.

I'd really like to hear what jangy meant. Yes Mercedes now owns AMG but as far as I know, they still "hand build" these powerplants at Affalterbach. The 63 engine is the ONLY engine that does not start life as a Mercedes powerplant in one form or another.

Last edited by e1000; 10-07-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 746 Likes on 727 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoiHvESxO8A

is this not hand made???
Old 10-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by MJ50
yeah, and checkout this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSC-UP6jeNY
Old 10-07-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what makes a motor hand built in a "true sense"??? If building a motor from scratch, as your own design, not starting from anything related to Mercedes and then having your own factory technicians build and assemble them by hand, one person per engine, start to finish isn't hand built, I really don't know what is.

I'd really like to hear what jangy meant. Yes Mercedes now owns AMG but as far as I know, they still "hand build" these powerplants at Affalterbach. The 63 engine is the ONLY engine that does not start life as a Mercedes powerplant in one form or another.
Again, I'm assuming Jangy meant truly "hand built" versus "hand assembled" in MB's AMG factory (?)

Yeah, these motors are hand assembled, but not "hand built" as we would talk about in a small tuner's shop (which AMG used to be.) The factory at Affalterbach is a different animal then it was even 10-15 years ago. Now they assemble 80-100 engines a day. It's a factory and no longer a tuner's shop.

However you want to call it today, it's definitely still a great marketing tool.

But the bigger question is oil consumption and if these motors need to seat in the break-in process.

Maybe your engine was the one built by these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p6YE...eature=related
Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 PM

2014 CLS63 s-amg, 2012 Porsche Cayenne, ML350
Haha, "one man, one engine". Like Jeremy Clarkson said: AMG makes A LOT of engines... You really think they have one man making one engine? I´m sure that nowdays the one man, one engine is more like the checkup before they ship the car/engine out.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Again, I'm assuming Jangy meant truly "hand built" versus "hand assembled" in MB's AMG factory (?)

Yeah, these motors are hand assembled, but not "hand built" as we would talk about in a small tuner's shop (which AMG used to be.) The factory at Affalterbach is a different animal then it was even 10-15 years ago. Now they assemble 80-100 engines a day. It's a factory and no longer a tuner's shop.

However you want to call it today, it's definitely still a great marketing tool.

But the bigger question is oil consumption and if these motors need to seat in the break-in process.

Maybe your engine was the one built by these guys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p6YE...eature=related
AMG has NEVER EVER made entire engines prior to the 63. They've always started with a Mercedes block and then went from there.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
what oil are you using?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Sorry for the confusion, guys. I did not mean to imply that the 63s are now made at the MB factory next to the E550.
I guess we are really talking semantics here. Either way you want to tell it, it is the first motor ever to go into an AMG that was designed from the ground up. That has advantages and disadvantages. The obvious advantage is that you are not limited by the specifications on OE parts. The disadvantage, to me, is that you end up doing something you may not be so great at. AMG didn't build cars and MB didn't build sports cars but now they both think they do.

I didn't like it back when MB brought trannies in-house and I don't like AMG being diluted either.

Back on topic, these motors are hand assembled and not hand made. In that sense, the motors come broken in (sort of) and seated. I believe that is more a matter of technology than craftsmanship, so I am not belittling hand assembled. My only point was that what we used to see in older P cars may not be what should be expected out of the 63. Again, my experience is that they eat oil. I'd say it safe to say that you would easily run dry if you tried to wait the recommended interval for a change.

Not to hate, but I love the videos. Have you ever seen a Ford assembled? It is very similar, so are Fords hand assembled?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how long does it take for this car to stop using oil