C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Engine replacement?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S
Engine replacement?!

Hi All . Bought by C63 about 4 months ago with 14000km on it, It now has 19000km so im busy driving home on friday minding my own business then all of a sudden sounds like some one dropped a spanner in the engine. no warning lights came on and have had no previous trouble. So what gives anybody got some ideas? Now its been at my mbd for 3 days they have to wait for some super technician to video tape and take photographs while stripping down the engine. The dealer is talking about a engine replacement what are your opions on this should I accept this. How did this happen. TIA
Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I had an engine replaced in a BMW M5 once...the new engine used much less oil and was noticeably stronger...based on that one experience I certainly wouldn't worry about it. I did ask that the car body be protected by padding and that the dealer be able to provide an extra pair of hands when necessary to ensure no damage inside or around the engine compartment. In no way could I tell afterward that there had been any work done.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
have them throw in the new pp plus for the trouble
Old 10-27-2009, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by paizesb
Hi All . Bought by C63 about 4 months ago with 14000km on it, It now has 19000km so im busy driving home on friday minding my own business then all of a sudden sounds like some one dropped a spanner in the engine. no warning lights came on and have had no previous trouble. So what gives anybody got some ideas? Now its been at my mbd for 3 days they have to wait for some super technician to video tape and take photographs while stripping down the engine. The dealer is talking about a engine replacement what are your opions on this should I accept this. How did this happen. TIA
19000KMs new engine?? Sweet.. you just got yourself a new car!

Tell them to swap the tranny also...

I dont think you have any options. unless of course they lemon the car and you get a new one.

Edit: Oh, and they need to warranty the engine for the full warranty from the day its installed.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
Crap happens!!! Count your blessings and take the new motor and buy a lottery ticket on the way home while your luck is still hot!!!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 c63, 2010 E63
Sweet deal, i wouldn't mind if my motor tanked right about now. Then I could get a whole new motor.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
axe muderer with headlights
I would try for lemon law and get whole new car.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:15 PM

C63 AMG
shouldn't they just get you a new car

i thought these engines cost more than the car
Old 10-27-2009, 10:00 PM

09 C63 11 E350
Price for a bare C63 AMG engine block is $13000. There are ALOT more parts to make it run....
Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 PM

09 C63 11 E350
Originally Posted by iatacs19
I would try for lemon law and get whole new car.

How would that work? Lemon laws do vary between states, but most if not all allow "reasonable" attempt by the dealer to fix the issue.

Unlike Porsche that will not allow dealerships to disassemble new-under warranty engines-but replace complete long-block. IIRC, Mercedes Techs do routinely rebuild engines on site.

The guy doesn't even know what happened yet. You have NO CHOICE-if they decide to warranty the problem and that requires rebuilding the existing engine and they complete the repair successfully-you have no cause for a "lemon law" complaint. The laws are clearly stated in the owners manual and new car documentation.

Just be glad there is a warranty to cover what could be a catastrophic financial nightmare. Not to mention that if the car is financed or leased the payments must still be made while the car is under repair.

You have no right to refuse or demand anything. It is a warranty-not a satisfaction guarantee. The don't owe you **** for your trouble. Their responsibility is to fix the car. Period. And I'm sure PROFESSIONAL TECHS don't need to be reminded by the owner to use extra care about not damaging your car.

Last edited by Arclight338; 10-27-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:27 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Arclight338
Price for a bare C63 AMG engine block is $13000. There are ALOT more parts to make it run....
I rember readign in the ML forum this one guy had engine faliure and the repair bill was like 60k or somthing like that

Heres the thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...00-repair.html

by the way how did you come up with 13000 for a bare block?

Last edited by MikeS54; 10-27-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 AM

axe muderer with headlights
How would that work? Lemon laws do vary between states, but most if not all allow "reasonable" attempt by the dealer to fix the issue.

Unlike Porsche that will not allow dealerships to disassemble new-under warranty engines-but replace complete long-block. IIRC, Mercedes Techs do routinely rebuild engines on site.

The guy doesn't even know what happened yet. You have NO CHOICE-if they decide to warranty the problem and that requires rebuilding the existing engine and they complete the repair successfully-you have no cause for a "lemon law" complaint. The laws are clearly stated in the owners manual and new car documentation.

Just be glad there is a warranty to cover what could be a catastrophic financial nightmare. Not to mention that if the car is financed or leased the payments must still be made while the car is under repair.

You have no right to refuse or demand anything. It is a warranty-not a satisfaction guarantee. The don't owe you **** for your trouble. Their responsibility is to fix the car. Period. And I'm sure PROFESSIONAL TECHS don't need to be reminded by the owner to use extra care about not damaging your car.
Once he finds out what the problem is then it will all be clearer, I was just making a suggestion as to an alternative recourse the OP could consider. Technically if the car is in for repair over 30 days then you qualify for lemon law or if the car has been in the shop for the same issue three times without resolution. It is best you consult a lawyer first. There is nothing to be thankful for, lemon laws are there to protect the consumer. Just because something is in writing it does not mean you cannot contest it, the real world is much different from everything that you read my lead you to believe. Always look out for #1 . I hope the OP gets this resolved to his satisfaction that's all.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 PM

09 C63 11 E350
Originally Posted by MikeS54
I rember readign in the ML forum this one guy had engine faliure and the repair bill was like 60k or somthing like that

Heres the thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...00-repair.html

by the way how did you come up with 13000 for a bare block?

From this:http://www.mercedesbenzgenuineparts....layCatalogid=0

That $75K repair thread is . I owned a 99 Porsche 996 C2. (first year of the water cooled engines.) One dark rainy evening I was outside NYC and went through an area where the road was milled waiting for new pavement. The truck in front of me,struck a raised manhole cover and displaced the big heavy iron ring that holds the cover on. I bounced under my car at about 20 mph and struck my engine right at the center of the sump. I broke the engine case and smashed into the crankshaft. Car had 5600 miles on it.

My auto insurance paid for the repair (no my premiums didn't go up). The new engine was installed (complete except for the intake manifold) and the dealer billed $22,100 dollars and 4 hours labor to the insurance company. I didn't even have to pay a deductible because the road contractor was at fault-other cars got damaged that evening.

The transaxle was undamaged-but the replacement cost of a new one was $10,200. That was in 2001. A C63 transmission costs $6200. 80 grand for a new motor-nonsense.

Last edited by Arclight338; 10-28-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
15 GLA 45, 09 C63, 06 WRX STi
HAHA excuse me? I pay 70k for a car and they don't owe me anything for my trouble? You are delusional my friend. When I pay for something I pay to use it not for it to sit in a shop to be repaired.

And for those "professional techs" not sure what world you live in, but these guys could give a ****s less about your car. They want to get the job done in the most efficient manner for themselves, get their paycheck and go home.

I dropped off my C63 for a simple speaker rattle fix (which they did not fix even though they assured me it was fixed) and go grease on the back seat (i have white leather) and didnt even bother cleaning it. Yea these are MB "professional techs" you speak of.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:09 AM

09 C63 11 E350
You paid 70K dollars for a C63? Now who is delusional. Its a warranty not a satisfaction guarantee. A speaker rattle? Fix it yourself. You use the dealer for **** you can't. The fewer people that **** with my car the happier I am.

WHITE LEATHER?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Hi All . Bought by C63 about 4 months ago with 14000km on it, It now has 19000km

Originally Posted by jstefanop
HAHA excuse me? I pay 70k for a car and they don't owe me anything for my trouble? You are delusional my friend. When I pay for something I pay to use it not for it to sit in a shop to be repaired.
First things first, this person purchased the vehicle used, making the lemon law stuff moot.

2, Arclight, agree completely.

Jstef, no, they do not owe you anything for your trouble. If you were financing and they had your car for a full month, its possible you could get them to pay your note for the month, but they don't have to.

As long as the car is repaired properly within a reasonable time frame, they owe you nothing else but some coffee and donuts when you pick it up.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:10 AM

2020 GLE450
Originally Posted by jstefanop
And for those "professional techs" not sure what world you live in, but these guys could give a ****s less about your car. They want to get the job done in the most efficient manner for themselves, get their paycheck and go home.

I dropped off my C63 for a simple speaker rattle fix (which they did not fix even though they assured me it was fixed) and go grease on the back seat (i have white leather) and didnt even bother cleaning it. Yea these are MB "professional techs" you speak of.
He is absolutely right that the techs generally destroy cars. The clutch on my M3 was destroyed by "BMW Trained Techs" and that car had to be traded in (not to mention all of the scratches that they put on a mint car). They tried correcting a simple pedal squeal and the clutch was replaced twice in as many weeks. I've had better luck with my C63 but also went through a 7 week ordeal to get them to fix something properly. They'll just do a quick job, give you the car, and hope that you don't notice all the missing screws, new rattles, and unfastened parts. I'd be very surprised if they do a perfect job the first time.

I've learned my lesson and take my car to a local independent shop. But for warranty repairs, you're stuck with the dealer unless there is an MB authorized independent. Look for one before you let these clowns take your car apart.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Originally Posted by rantarC63
He is absolutely right that the techs generally destroy cars. The clutch on my M3 was destroyed by "BMW Trained Techs" and that car had to be traded in (not to mention all of the scratches that they put on a mint car). They tried correcting a simple pedal squeal and the clutch was replaced twice in as many weeks. I've had better luck with my C63 but also went through a 7 week ordeal to get them to fix something properly. They'll just do a quick job, give you the car, and hope that you don't notice all the missing screws, new rattles, and unfastened parts. I'd be very surprised if they do a perfect job the first time.

I've learned my lesson and take my car to a local independent shop. But for warranty repairs, you're stuck with the dealer unless there is an MB authorized independent. Look for one before you let these clowns take your car apart.

lol you don't know what you are talking about I laugh at people like you that take their vehicles outside the dealer network to have their cars destroyed by "30 year MB ASE certified techs" this happens all the time like you wouldn't imagine. MB techs are held to a high level of standards that includes returned vehicles MBUSA pays close attention to cars coming back for the same issues and techs are rewarded for low come-backs and fired if they have several. There is no such thing as authorized independents. See what happens when you take your vehicle to people that don't even have a 100k bank account to back up your cars if they do in fact destroy them just ask vadim. Good luck
Old 11-01-2009, 04:23 AM

2016 AMG GT-S
Well got some feed back MBD is awaiting answer from germany for a new engine or if it can be repaired. They have found some metal pieces in the oil. What could this be from?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
You most likely spun a rod bearing.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Well got some feed back MBD is awaiting answer from germany for a new engine or if it can be repaired. They have found some metal pieces in the oil. What could this be from?
Just curious, who built your engine??
Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 PM

76 220D
What oil was in the car, what was the oil temp. and rpm at failure. I have seen several bearing failures with too heavy oil and high rpm's without proper warm up of the oil. Any pressure over 10psi/1000 rpm is risky.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:18 PM

2016 AMG GT-S
Cant remember the name on the engine cover but will go past dealer tomorrow to check. As for the oil , the level was still fine since i got the car from my dealer so had not toppped up since but I keep a bottle of the recommended oil in the garage for just in case. further more I always make sure i warm up the engine before giving it stick. I treat the car better than I treat my wife
Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by nielsll
Any pressure over 10psi/1000 rpm is risky.
That is an old rule of thumb, but hardly conclusive. Many modern engines run pretty high oil pressure. For instance, the 4.6L DOHC Ford V8 runs about 80psi of oil pressure at 3000rpm.

In terms of spun bearings, lack of oil or lack of oil pressure is much greater of a concern.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:02 PM

76 220D
Lack of oil is usually caused by too high of pressure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine replacement?!