C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily abuse of the leather seats, bolsters? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Daily abuse of the leather seats, bolsters? Thoughts?

I purchased my '09 C63 in September. I drive it about 3-4 days out of the week. I bought it with 80 miles and have about 2100 miles on it so far. I love the car and have gone to great measures to take care of it, clear bra, tire/rim warranty, etc.

I was reading a lot of threads about driving your car and enjoying it. I agree. However, I have seen some "substantial" abuse being done to my drivers seat leather upon getting in and out. Leather is wrinkling and showing signs of wear. I don't wear chain link beltsl, wallet chains, or anything "abnormal", so are the seats really sporty and nice, just cheaply made?

I wanted to ask you guys how you take care of leather wear and tear (not necessarily leather cleaning and polishing like other threads). Do you guys get in and out a certain way to care for the bolsters, both seat and sides? Are they meant to become so worn down? I don't want the interior looking like its 10 years old in only 4.

Just wanted some thoughts on this minor detail...
Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c63
Someone once taught me the "robot" technique on e90post, and now I pass it along to the Merc masses. . .

The problem likely stems from how you enter / exit the car.

The "incorrect" technique is getting in by putting your feet in first and then rotating your body in. That is how it is being worn; your back is rubbing on the side bolster. This technique is OK for seats that do not have substantial bolsters.

The way I get in is to back into the car first (butt first), sit in seat, the bolster is not touched, then rotate your legs in. Weird at first but you get used to it. Similar technique getting out, rotate legs, then stand up. The goal is to not rub your back on the bolster.

To help accomplish this, I set my driving position to M1 and my ingress / egress position to M3. M3 is as far back as the seat will go with the steering wheel at its shortest & highest setting. This will provide you with the most room to maneuver "rub free".

Good luck!

P.S. Just recognize that people will view you as borderline retarded for doing this

Last edited by wadgras44; 12-01-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
HAHA!! i do the same thing. Im 5'10" 175, and i look like a 300lb guy getting in and out.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
I use the "technique" passed down from my friends who have full race bucket seats.

Basically what you do is lift yourself into and out of the seat by placing your hands on the door sill and the center console. Takes a bit of upper body strength to achieve but definetly preserves the bolster's life.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

gotta break dance into the seat I guess...

Too funny but important in my opinion...I have read the threads about how amazing the seats are and how refined and sporty they look that I am just about to try every technique short of doing the "street side robot guy painted in silver" to get in. Everytime my jeans rub against the side bolster I feel myself cringe. It pisses me off that I can't get out of this car without rubbing the **ck out of it... My interior is black and I can't stand the car looking excellent but the drivers seat looking like the overly tanned Aunt on "There's Something about Mary" .
Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I just set my seat setting "3" on the seat with it way away from the steering wheel. I then hit "1" to get into the driving position when I get it and hit 3 before I get out. No problems.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 PM

'09 C63 AMG
I got my C63 w/ 125 miles on it from the dealer and the leather on the seat bolsters (mainly the outer thigh and outer lower back bolster) looked dry, cracked, and old. I have no doubt it sat in the showroom while people got in an out of it a bunch of times. It did scare me into thinking what the seats would eventually look like I'd guess in a few years even w/o proper entry/exit and care.

Luckily, I had the dealer replace the leather w/ new factory covers!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Use Leatherique, Zaino, etc. it restores it back to its ultimate freshness.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by chubbs032
Use Leatherique, Zaino, etc. it restores it back to its ultimate freshness.
Have used the Zaino leather product for a while and it is great. It also adds some new car smell.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:12 AM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
wow 1 year and only 2100 miles?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by dockt
I got my C63 w/ 125 miles on it from the dealer and the leather on the seat bolsters (mainly the outer thigh and outer lower back bolster) looked dry, cracked, and old. I have no doubt it sat in the showroom while people got in an out of it a bunch of times. It did scare me into thinking what the seats would eventually look like I'd guess in a few years even w/o proper entry/exit and care.

Luckily, I had the dealer replace the leather w/ new factory covers!
Was the factory leather one fully-stitched seat cover or did it consist of separate pieces which had to be stitched together? I was thinking of ordering just a driver's side seat bolster to keep as a spare for eventual replacement, but better to do these things early to keep the dye lots visually identical.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey dockt, how long did they have your car in for repair? Did they take the entire seat out and re-do it? Did they beat up the dash or the inside of the car? When I bought my C63, the leather was coming (separating from the plastic AMG frame) off of the back plastic frame on the left and its only noticable from the back. They told me they would have to remove the whole seat and redo the stitch and try and fix it. I am reluctant to have them remove the entire seat for fear they would beat up the interior in the process...what do you think? Leave it be and fix it right before the warranty is up or fix now?
Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 PM

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Hey dockt, how long did they have your car in for repair? Did they take the entire seat out and re-do it? Did they beat up the dash or the inside of the car? When I bought my C63, the leather was coming (separating from the plastic AMG frame) off of the back plastic frame on the left and its only noticable from the back. They told me they would have to remove the whole seat and redo the stitch and try and fix it. I am reluctant to have them remove the entire seat for fear they would beat up the interior in the process...what do you think? Leave it be and fix it right before the warranty is up or fix now?
It probably depends on the techs working on your car, but mine did a really good job. No damage to dash or surrounding plastics. I am not sure if they took the whole seat out. If it were me, and it was bugging me, I'd get it fixed now.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 176 Likes on 127 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
http://www.wattsmotoringaccessories....tionguide.html

The most important thing you can do is enter / exit as described above, but this link might help as extra protection. While the C63 is not specifically listed, they offer instructions on how to measure your seat and they'll work with you to make sure it fits.

Last edited by kjb55; 12-02-2009 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added comment about C63 not listed.