Sponsored by:

Does your car smell after S or M mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG / B8 A4
Does your car smell after S or M mode?

I have about 8k miles on the car now. When I drive the car in C mode and even when I get on it, the car is fine. When it's in S or M mode, and after a few minutes of driving, it smells as if rubber or clutch is burning. It's a smell coming from the rear. And at times, I dont even get on it and it still smells? I'm not sure what to think of this, is it normal, does it ever go away?
Old 12-17-2009, 11:02 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I've never driven it in C... so I don't know how that smells,

but in M and S it does smell like burning oil, and rubber. It's not an alarming smell, especially now that I know the engine does burn a little oil.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Depends what I ate before I ride.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:31 AM

C63AMG
Temporary Smell

Originally Posted by EuroB6
I have about 8k miles on the car now. When I drive the car in C mode and even when I get on it, the car is fine. When it's in S or M mode, and after a few minutes of driving, it smells as if rubber or clutch is burning. It's a smell coming from the rear. And at times, I dont even get on it and it still smells? I'm not sure what to think of this, is it normal, does it ever go away?
Check your tires pressures. How many pounds you running in them?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i

I don’t use my car as a daily and when I do take it for a run, I always drive in ‘M’ Mode. After the first few drives I would notice a very strong smell when I parked it but now there is nothing. I put it down to the transmission or transmission cooler or something running itself in.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:53 PM

no more AMG
I have 11k on my C63 and I've never smelt anything like that, just driving around town or even after driving the ***** off of it at a track for 30-40 minutes or an autocross. When you switch to S or M, it cranks the trans cooler up a bit so maybe there is a small amount of debris in a line? The 6.2 V8s do burn oil (a lot of it actually) Is there a lot of carbon on your pipes? If so, clean them and and drive around in S or M for a short while and see how much you get. I don't think this would be the problem though seeing as you don't notice it in C. I dunno, hope that helps.

On a side not, I have an Ibis white Audi A4 as well. Too funny!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:30 PM

C63 AMG / B8 A4
Originally Posted by lomita
Check your tires pressures. How many pounds you running in them?
not sure..i have to check..but last night i drive in S mode pretty hard for about 20 minutes. I got back, not that bad of a smell. As I get out of the car, it is definitely coming from the rear. Almost as if it smells by the rear left wheel/exhaust area.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Ape

2004 TL; 2004 S2000; 2009 C63; 2009 ML350
I have gotten and still get that same smell since I bought the car. It happens when driving spirited in S or M mode. I believe there was a thread on this last year and quite a few people had the same issue. It was determined to be normal, but I don't believe anyone ever figured out what was causing it.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 239 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I ordered cologne that smells like that...just a dab will do ya...gets all the ladies...
Old 12-21-2009, 03:58 AM

C63
dont quote me on this but to me, its very normal
its going to happen for the next little while
what it is, when u drive hard on it, the exhaust temperature will rise, thus starts heating/burning off anything thats stuck on ur exhaust and since ur exhaust has a coating or some sort, it would burn off....

it happened to my slk55 and after half a year its not there anymore unless i drive it harder and harder...

i know wat kind of smell ur talking about and i can smell it on my c63 too
so dont worry
Old 12-21-2009, 01:55 PM

my car does it!

I have about 2k miles on it.. When I run it hard in manual mode.. When you get out.. the car smells like something is burning.. Kind of like you put new exhaust on your car and run it for the first time..

I don't think it has to do with manual mode.. I am sure people run their car harder in manual mode..
Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 PM

no more AMG
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I ordered cologne that smells like that...just a dab will do ya...gets all the ladies...
They say 60% of the time, it works everytime