Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Engine Grounding Wires

Please no flames on this question ...

Just out of curiosity...

Has anyone ever thought of using a decent 7-10 wire Engine Grounding Wire Kit on the C63 AMG? I had a 10-wire kit similar to the one below on my '04 Infiniti G35, and believe it or not, I actually felt a difference...smoother and faster shifts (especially in ManuMatic Mode) and a tad more power near redline.

Now, I know the MB C63 AMG is no Honda/Acura with the "V-Tec kicked in Yo" thing, lol. But seriously, maybe these grounding wires make more of a difference in smaller 4 or 6 cylinder engines with lower power..IDK???? Just curious guys...that's all. btw -- I don't belive their claims of ~ +3-7HP gains and 10% increased fuel efficiency, but I did actually notice a slight difference in my G35 with the V6 VQ engine (especially with the smoother, faster shifting from the grounding wire to the TCU).

What do you guys think?

Sun Auto Hyper Grounding Kits

Click to enlarge

These Hyper Ground Kits from Sun Auto have proven themselves on our Dynojet 448x to put down anywhere from 3-7 hp from a NA vehicle, and these gains can be even greater when installed into a truck or van application. This kit is designed and manufactured with the sole purpose of providing a low resistance path for your vehicles grounding system.
What many enthusiasts or even non enthusiasts do not realize is that grounding in your vehicle may be insufficient and installing a new grounding kit especially one from a high quality manufacturer such as Sun Auto, can not only increase overall performance but provide gains of up to 10% more fuel efficiency. ce ground path. A better ground gives more Torque,better Mileage, better Response, and better Starting Ability.
This system provides direct ground path from battery negative to body, chassis, and engine components to give extreme improvement on electrical circulation. In addition ''Hyper Ground System'' cables have 10 times less impedance than factory ground systems which provides immaculate conduction to prevent electrical power loss.The higher resistance of factory grounds, effect the ignition system and obstructs the primary potential.
The "Hyper Ground System" uses thick gauge 99.99% pure copper, and connects directly from the cylinder head and other points under the hood to the battery, to provide an ultra low resistance connection.This will increase the primary potential of regular cars to ignition tuned vehicles.
Pro Street is proud to announce that we now carry a full lineup of Sun Auto performance parts.

S Type Hyper Ground Kits are for Small - Compact - Mid Size vehicles
M Type Hyper Ground Kits are for Trucks - Full size vehicles
L Type Hyper Ground Kits are for Rear Location Battery vehicles

Last edited by sflgator; 01-04-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
Had a diy kit on my evo, didn't feel anything. even if there is, i doubt if you can feel an increase in a few hp.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bushburninc63
Had a diy kit on my evo, didn't feel anything. even if there is, i doubt if you can feel an increase in a few hp.
I guess I was thinking more in terms of slightly faster shifts, etc.; and yes, I agree you wouldn't be able to "feel" an extra few HP on a 451-515HP car.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Funny, I had one on my FX-35 and the engine seemed smoother as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i

I’ve heard and read arguments for and against these kits for years for all manner of vehicles and have never seen proof either way. I even tried it on an old school 350 Chev a life time ago and can’t say I noticed anything. There is definitely something to be said for improved grounding for smoothing out the spark but it is one of those relatively cheap mods you do if you want.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Grounding & Bonding systems

Back In the day. with Drag Boats I always ran a ground tag from the Cylinder head to the Block. Everything was bolted , , No Plug in connectors. We had no ignition issues , with Hi frequency Multi spark CDI or inductive ignition , what we did have was lots of RF noise. Which screwed up our data logging. The electrical return path would open up in the ground system with heat between the heads & Block.

Think of what our MB cars have , Tons and miles of wiring, ground points mostly within the cars wiring Harness, that attach to the car chassis. Just one bad / loose Crimp connection . Plus , the sound insulation along with sound Isolation & rubber mounts, ( engine & Trans to a sub frame) & then rubber mount the sub frame to the car. There is a potential for open ground returns. Add on grounding systems can not hurt. Cheers _PTEngineering
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
My only concern would be that if there is any electrical failure, the dealer will be quick to point out that you have modded the car. I would not take the chance.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by emericr
My only concern would be that if there is any electrical failure, the dealer will be quick to point out that you have modded the car. I would not take the chance.
I understand your concern, but it would be difficult for a dealer to blame some type of electrical failure due to extra Engine Grounding Wires.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PTE
Back In the day. with Drag Boats I always ran a ground tag from the Cylinder head to the Block. Everything was bolted , , No Plug in connectors. We had no ignition issues , with Hi frequency Multi spark CDI or inductive ignition , what we did have was lots of RF noise. Which screwed up our data logging. The electrical return path would open up in the ground system with heat between the heads & Block.

Think of what our MB cars have , Tons and miles of wiring, ground points mostly within the cars wiring Harness, that attach to the car chassis. Just one bad / loose Crimp connection . Plus , the sound insulation along with sound Isolation & rubber mounts, ( engine & Trans to a sub frame) & then rubber mount the sub frame to the car. There is a potential for open ground returns. Add on grounding systems can not hurt. Cheers _PTEngineering
I guess that's kind of what I was thinking..."it can't hurt."
Old 01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I have seen amazing denials from our local dealers (like my tint caused malfunctions in the built in radio antenna in the back window...) so I would not be surprised that they could blame it on this mod. I agree with you that that does not make sense but common sense does not seem to be well regarded these days.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I was stranded once by a ground problem in my M5 so this kit interests me...I did not know such kits existed...are they a PITA to install?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bhamg
I was stranded once by a ground problem in my M5 so this kit interests me...I did not know such kits existed...are they a PITA to install?
Easy. Unless the kit was not pre-cut for the car.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Easy to install as long as you know which points to attach each side to. And, as far as electrical problems in your M5, well it's a BMW that is known for electrical "gremlins." I remember one day I was driving across the state of FL in my BMW 335i and all of a sudden, my whole dash light up like an X-mas tree...like 6 error lights at one time!!!!????!!!!! I immediately called my SA and asked him if I was going to die if I drove it (as it still drove perfectly normal). He spoke with his Tech and got back on the phone to say it was probably just a sensor malfunction...and guess what? It was. Not to mention the continuously malfunctioning left rear brake light due to a simple bad connection in the light assembly (2nd one after the first one was replaced).

Most MB's don't seem to have these issues.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
I had one on my IS300 but since the newer MB cars have so much electronic stuff I would be hesitant to put one on as it might mess up the electronics of the car.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by gsrjc
I had one on my IS300 but since the newer MB cars have so much electronic stuff I would be hesitant to put one on as it might mess up the electronics of the car.
I would think the opposite...that maybe it's an insurance policy against electronic component failure.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
I would think the opposite...that maybe it's an insurance policy against electronic component failure.
+1. Yeah, I don't see how an engine grounding wire kit could mess anything up. The question is really whether or not anyone would feel any difference in performance (faster shifting, smoother, etc.)?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sflgator
+1. Yeah, I don't see how an engine grounding wire kit could mess anything up. The question is really whether or not anyone would feel any difference in performance (faster shifting, smoother, etc.)?
I know that when I had it in my IS300, it got rid of all the whining noise from my aftermarket sound system. i don't know about shifting since it was a 5 speed. some friends noted that their automatic shifting smoother and the idle wasn't bad in the mornings.