C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Brake squeal under light braking (noise)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
axe muderer with headlights
Brake squeal under light braking (noise)

I have around 4,800 miles now and have noticed that the brakes are squealing when I am braking lightly. Under hard braking the don't make any noise.

I visually looked at the rotor and there isn't any abnormal wear that I can see.

Is this normal for MB? I am trying to be more informed before I "take it to the dealer".
Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Squealing is usually just brake dust, clean the wheels and if possible use a brake cleaner in spray. The fact it's only under light braking is probably because its slightly dusty. The noise will increase with time if not cleaned.

If this fails go to the dealer but I've never seen squealing be anything else. Any other pad or rotor damage will not make this type of noise, they will mostly create grinding noise or a vibration under braking.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
I've had this issue as well (1700 miles) - from what I've seen on forums this is simply sort of the character of the brakes that come on this car. I usually live with it, but I always ask my authorized MB maintenance guy what other brake components are available when it comes time to replace them.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
If you're not driving the car hard that often, you'll get squeal. Dust and rotor glaze.

Go out and toss the car into some corners with really hard braking. Seriously. The squeal will go away. If and when it returns, repeat above and it will go away again.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chief63
Squealing is usually just brake dust, clean the wheels and if possible use a brake cleaner in spray. The fact it's only under light braking is probably because its slightly dusty. The noise will increase with time if not cleaned.

If this fails go to the dealer but I've never seen squealing be anything else. Any other pad or rotor damage will not make this type of noise, they will mostly create grinding noise or a vibration under braking.

Hope this helps.
+1. MB has awesome brakes (AMG's are actually Brembro brakes I believe) but they do squeal with they're dirty. As others have said, when they're clean, the noise usually goes away.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
welcome to being an mercedes benz owner - squeeling brakes is an ongoing fact of life. Although its intermittent.

Can put a man on the moon but cant get brakes that dont squeek
Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM

2009 MB C63 2007 MB ML63 2006 MB CLS 500 (wife)
Find an empty backroad. Put gear selector in Reverse, get some speed and brake hard. Repeat twice if needed.
This was a recommendation from a tech guy (Brady or Brandon) who serviced my car @ Beverly Hills Mercedes, he used to have E55 himself.
I tried it myself and it helped.
The following users liked this post:
grokit (01-12-2020)
Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 PM

C63 AMG, BMW 135i

Not just an MB issue, many cars with big brakes suffer from some squeal. An ongoing fix often requires changing the pad compound which can compromise brake performance. I live with it with a number of my cars and as stated earlier, keeping them clean goes a long way to helping.

I like the advice from -michael-, I’ll give it a go.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 PM

axe muderer with headlights
Originally Posted by -michael-
Find an empty backroad. Put gear selector in Reverse, get some speed and brake hard. Repeat twice if needed.
This was a recommendation from a tech guy (Brady or Brandon) who serviced my car @ Beverly Hills Mercedes, he used to have E55 himself.
I tried it myself and it helped.
I did this already 2 weeks ago.

It did help except the squeal came back, that's all. No worries as long as it's normal for the car.

I will spray some brake cleaner tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:30 PM

C63AMG
The Big Brake Squeal Fix

Originally Posted by iatacs19
I have around 4,800 miles now and have noticed that the brakes are squealing when I am braking lightly. Under hard braking the don't make any noise.

I visually looked at the rotor and there isn't any abnormal wear that I can see.

Is this normal for MB? I am trying to be more informed before I "take it to the dealer".
OK, the easy non permanent fix is simply to flush the brake assembly with the garden hose. Removing the dust will temporarily help. Put a nice stream of water and flush all the brake dust out of the entire brake assembly. Leaves a nice black residue down the driveway.........

The permanent fix is to take the brake pads out, thoroughly clean the pad backing and the adjacent touch point of the pad to the brake caliper/piston assembly. Apply a product such as disc quiet, http://www.autobarn.net/ch05016.html to the brake pad backing and reinstall the pads into the calipers.
Use the brakes as normal, the annoying brake squeal will be gone.

I wouldn't let a dealership get within ten feet of my car personally, not even just to look at it. However, a good mechanic can accomplish this for you at most garages. It's not rocket science.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:07 AM

c63 amg
I make sure to give my brakes a few maximum force stop once in a while and have squeeky brake syndrome.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Dust on wheels?

HUH?

Squealing brakes indicate one of two things - pad type or poor pad installation.

By pad type I refer to the triangle of inequality - in this case, clean pad/effective pad/quiet pad - and as they say, pick two. You can get a quieter pad, but you'll have to give up cleanliness or stopping power.

Generally pads that have better performance and dust characteristics squeal while cold - when they warm up the squeal is gone.

The other possibility, poor installation, means that an even backing compound is not in place. By removing the pads, cleaning the backing plate, reapplying a smooth and even backing you may lose this.

Like the folks above say, by stepping on the brake hard, the squeal will go away for a while. This is most likely because you are pushing the pad into the backing goop and fixing it for a moment. However, I think in our case it's a combo of pad seating and pad type because it is definitely worse on cold days for first 15 minutes which backs the concept of pad warmup.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:18 AM

C63AMG
Therefore..........

Originally Posted by peet
Dust on wheels?

HUH?

Squealing brakes indicate one of two things - pad type or poor pad installation.

By pad type I refer to the triangle of inequality - in this case, clean pad/effective pad/quiet pad - and as they say, pick two. You can get a quieter pad, but you'll have to give up cleanliness or stopping power.

Generally pads that have better performance and dust characteristics squeal while cold - when they warm up the squeal is gone.

The other possibility, poor installation, means that an even backing compound is not in place. By removing the pads, cleaning the backing plate, reapplying a smooth and even backing you may lose this.

Like the folks above say, by stepping on the brake hard, the squeal will go away for a while. This is most likely because you are pushing the pad into the backing goop and fixing it for a moment. However, I think in our case it's a combo of pad seating and pad type because it is definitely worse on cold days for first 15 minutes which backs the concept of pad warmup.
Therefore, based upon your evaluation, brembo makes **** poor brakes, right off the assembly lines.......
Old 01-24-2010, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I beleive there is a TSB on this for brakes, it is covered under warranty and they should replace them.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:58 PM

C63AMG
Have A TSB #

Originally Posted by 1st amg
I beleive there is a TSB on this for brakes, it is covered under warranty and they should replace them.
What, the great American corporation forgot to send it to all the continental owners? How convenient.........

Last edited by lomita; 01-24-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
I get a hint of break squeal after cold start-up. Goes away after the first mile or so.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:56 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by superlubricity
I get a hint of break squeal after cold start-up. Goes away after the first mile or so.
Same for me
Old 11-02-2010, 06:21 PM

2008 c63
Originally Posted by 1st amg
The warranty is good for one year or 12,000 miles which ever comes first. I’ve got a 2008 c63 with 11,000 miles and W.I. Simonson MB in Santa Monica CA won’t fix it free. They want large money to replace everything. I took it to my former BMW, MB guys up the street and they will do the clean and spray fix before replacing the pads and and or rotors. Stay away from the dealerships if you can unless it’s under warranty.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:49 AM

2008 c63
Originally Posted by lomita
OK, the easy non permanent fix is simply to flush the brake assembly with the garden hose. Removing the dust will temporarily help. Put a nice stream of water and flush all the brake dust out of the entire brake assembly. Leaves a nice black residue down the driveway.........

The permanent fix is to take the brake pads out, thoroughly clean the pad backing and the adjacent touch point of the pad to the brake caliper/piston assembly. Apply a product such as disc quiet, http://www.autobarn.net/ch05016.html to the brake pad backing and reinstall the pads into the calipers.
Use the brakes as normal, the annoying brake squeal will be gone.

I wouldn't let a dealership get within ten feet of my car personally, not even just to look at it. However, a good mechanic can accomplish this for you at most garages. It's not rocket science.
=====================================

I followed these directions and it works. Cost $150. Total. From my local friendly MB, BMW mechanic. The dealer wanted $4100 and they were going to do me a favor and only charge me $2500 for new brakes - my C63 is a 2008 and has 11,000 miles. MB said the brakes are a wear item and out of warranty. Not a lot of class. I told MB USA they had an engineering problem and they should have fixed the brakes long ago.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I had this issue on my E63, and brought it to Mercedes attention. They insopected the car and said that nothing is wrong with it, this is an aspect of AMG Brakes. With high performance brakes, your going to get brake sqeal period. Brakes squeal is caused by the pads vibrating against something under braking. And easy fix is to apply brake pad compound or anti-squeal paste to the back of the pads. But AMG doesn't recommend this, trust me I've asked. Because that is what, I would have done. This is your only salvation, besides spraying the brakes down with brake cleaner or water to flush out the brake dust.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:33 PM

2008 c63
Originally Posted by bfischer1
=====================================

I followed these directions and it works. Cost $150. Total. From my local friendly MB, BMW mechanic. The dealer wanted $4100 and they were going to do me a favor and only charge me $2500 for new brakes - my C63 is a 2008 and has 11,000 miles. MB said the brakes are a wear item and out of warranty. Not a lot of class. I told MB USA they had an engineering problem and they should have fixed the brakes long ago.
The squeal came back after 2 weeks and I'm going to replace the back brakes, totally. Not at the dealership but my local guys. I had a BMW before my C63 and the brakes had a lot of dust. Maybe that’s the trade off? I can live with dust but not the squeal.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by bfischer1
The squeal came back after 2 weeks and I'm going to replace the back brakes, totally. Not at the dealership but my local guys. I had a BMW before my C63 and the brakes had a lot of dust. Maybe that’s the trade off? I can live with dust but not the squeal.

Before you do that, just take a hose and clean your wheels and spray down the brakes. You'll be amazed at how much brake dust comes out of the calipers when you clean your wheels thoroughly. I believe you should definitely try that out before replacing your brakes.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 AM

2013 C63 AMG
I can't stand the noise from my pads anymore..... My car is 1 month old, I already had MB replace the brake pads, however the annoying high pitch sound is back & its so annoying. I've bled the brakes but the sound comes back after 1 hour!! My 2009 911 never had this issue & my 2008 M5 was fine, both high performance cars (& braking system compared to MB). So it really is frustrating & embarrassing. I'm taking the car back to MB tomorrow morning.
What do you guys recommend for aftermarket pads? I hear Akebono pads are good, however I don't see them available for 2011's yet.... ?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 AM

'11 C63 w/ P31
tire dressing will get on the brakes and cause squealing. Dont let the car wash use them. warm up your brakes do some very hard stops, then clean them water only when at carwash
Old 01-05-2011, 12:09 PM

2008 c63
Originally Posted by princealidds
I can't stand the noise from my pads anymore..... My car is 1 month old, I already had MB replace the brake pads, however the annoying high pitch sound is back & its so annoying. I've bled the brakes but the sound comes back after 1 hour!! My 2009 911 never had this issue & my 2008 M5 was fine, both high performance cars (& braking system compared to MB). So it really is frustrating & embarrassing. I'm taking the car back to MB tomorrow morning.
What do you guys recommend for aftermarket pads? I hear Akebono pads are good, however I don't see them available for 2011's yet.... ?
I had everything replaced on the back brakes last month. So far so good. MB USA still won’t take any responsibility for the engineering screw-up. Sad.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Brake squeal under light braking (noise)