Sponsored by:

Valentine 1 Interference

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
Valentine 1 Interference

There have been several instances when I've been around an Audi, both an S5 and Q7, and my V1's K band has just acted very weird. I do get some interference from other radar detectors, but in both of these cases, I could not see any windshield or dash mounted unit.

Now my laser band is constantly being set off by Lexus and Infiniti vehicles. I honestly think the laser function is worthless. It either alerts me to one of those vehicles that has the laser cruise control, or tells me that I just got gunned and to be ready to pull over.

But I wasn't sure if Audi vehicles had something similar to Lexus/Infiniti that sets off the K band or if they had some stealth install of a radar detector/jammer that was interfering.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced the same thing.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Do you have HID fogs? If I keep light switch on Auto. Because when I turn right or left and the fog lights turn on it trips the V1 as "Laser". I also believe that in the manual it said certain lights will trip the V1 Laser. BTW if you do have HID fogs just keep them on all the time or you'll be hearing your V1 go off every turn.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio Flyer Big Flyer fully loaded with training wheels and NOS
Originally Posted by Jae Duk
I also believe that in the manual it said certain lights will trip the V1 Laser.
this is correct, especially with lexus and infinity vehicles. i have had this multiple times but it is usually caused by the daytime running lights. I cant find the article now but there was a whole write up about it somewhere. does you v1 ever display "J" by any chance?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
I believe Lexus has "radar guided" cruise control like BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Infiniti, however, has the "laser guided" cruise control, which will activate your V1 laser detection; it drives me crazy too! I don't know which "active cruise control" unit Audi has, so it could be either radar or laser. I have not heard about any hid lights affecting any radar detectors, so idk about that.

I have seen my V1 "go crazy" though with some real police radar units; specifically the direction in which it thinks the radar signal is coming from. I've noticed on several occasions that my V1 gets confused as to which direction the Ka radar signal is located...it usually alternates rapidly from the rear arrow to a side arrow, and it's very annoying.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:50 PM

14 GL550; 14 E63s
Originally Posted by C63 DTM AMG
this is correct, especially with lexus and infinity vehicles. i have had this multiple times but it is usually caused by the daytime running lights. I cant find the article now but there was a whole write up about it somewhere. does you v1 ever display "J" by any chance?
Yes, I get the "J" quite a bit since I have it set on the "A" setting. I think the "A" setting is the most sensitive. Pisses me off too. I slam on the brakes when I hear the Ka band going off only to have it flash "J". Its like the V1 is saying, "just kidding."
Old 02-18-2010, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Shellbmb
Yes, I get the "J" quite a bit since I have it set on the "A" setting. I think the "A" setting is the most sensitive. Pisses me off too. I slam on the brakes when I hear the Ka band going off only to have it flash "J". Its like the V1 is saying, "just kidding."
I keep my V1 on the "L" (Logic) setting.

Last edited by sflgator; 02-18-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63
Got that a few times and I always thought "J" means radar being jammed by the police so I just slow down. And I don't really speed on city driving so no need to worry about cops, but on freeway if I see KA I slow from 80 to about 70. Saved me 3 times already!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jae Duk
Got that a few times and I always thought "J" means radar being jammed by the police so I just slow down. And I don't really speed on city driving so no need to worry about cops, but on freeway if I see KA I slow from 80 to about 70. Saved me 3 times already!
The "J" message means "junk" or false alarm.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by sflgator
The "J" message means "junk" or false alarm.
ya beat me to it ahaha.
i also drive in logic and have even programmed my v1 which is quite helpful and eliminates many false alarms. Yes the "j" does in fact mean "junk" and is used when the v1 detects another radar detector. Look it up in the manual as it is actually quite interesting. there are also a few videos on youtube that i used to program the v1
Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
ya beat me to it ahaha.
i also drive in logic and have even programmed my v1 which is quite helpful and eliminates many false alarms. Yes the "j" does in fact mean "junk" and is used when the v1 detects another radar detector. Look it up in the manual as it is actually quite interesting. there are also a few videos on youtube that i used to program the v1
You guys are correct about "J". This appears, for me, when it detects something and is determined to be invalid. I also keep mine in "L" mode. I do agree that the laser detection is somewhat limited for real world use..
Old 02-19-2010, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
ya beat me to it ahaha.
Yep, I used those V1 programming codes to set up my V1 so no X band alarms for me, and adjusted a few other items as well. It's a phenomenal; radar/laser detector; just gets a bit confused sometimes as far as the direction of the radar source. Other than that, you can't beat the V1's arrows!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Yep, I used those V1 programming codes to set up my V1 so no X band alarms for me, and adjusted a few other items as well. It's a phenomenal; radar/laser detector; just gets a bit confused sometimes as far as the direction of the radar source. Other than that, you can't beat the V1's arrows!
cant beat it, but need some laser jammers to go with it!
Old 02-19-2010, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I believe Lexus has "radar guided" cruise control like BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Infiniti, however, has the "laser guided" cruise control, which will activate your V1 laser detection; it drives me crazy too! I don't know which "active cruise control" unit Audi has, so it could be either radar or laser. I have not heard about any hid lights affecting any radar detectors, so idk about that.

I have seen my V1 "go crazy" though with some real police radar units; specifically the direction in which it thinks the radar signal is coming from. I've noticed on several occasions that my V1 gets confused as to which direction the Ka radar signal is located...it usually alternates rapidly from the rear arrow to a side arrow, and it's very annoying.
I get that only with Infiniti suvs. I have not noticed this with other brands.
Like Pavlov's dog, I hate Infiniti's every time I see one in the rear view. Hate them
Old 02-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Might be a little off topic, but how do you guys have your V1's mounted in your C63?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by KCviper
Might be a little off topic, but how do you guys have your V1's mounted in your C63?
Valentine (co.) recommends the V1 be mounted up high on the windshield.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 PM

c63 amg
you're lucky that radar detectors are legal where you live.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Valentine (co.) recommends the V1 be mounted up high on the windshield.
Yep, but do you have it hardwired? If not, which plug are you using? Currently have mine up by the rear view mirror with the cord concealed all the way down to the ash tray plug. Don't really like it, but don't have the time to do much else at the moment.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
Yep, but do you have it hardwired? If not, which plug are you using? Currently have mine up by the rear view mirror with the cord concealed all the way down to the ash tray plug. Don't really like it, but don't have the time to do much else at the moment.
My coil cord just hangs down to the ashtray (well, coin tray in my case ) plug...don't really care about hiding it, although it would be nice to.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan

Viper is SOLD. Let's see some 63 PICS...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 PM

Gotta get the weather in Dallas to cooperate long enough to snap a few!! Will have some soon.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
cant beat it, but need some laser jammers to go with it!
Great advice! I programmed my V1 to disable X band and laser and rely on my Laser Interceptor to cover the laser. No false alarms from infintiti cruise conrtols, Trailblazer tail lights, etc. IMO, the perfect combo.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:47 AM

14 GL550; 14 E63s
I have mine mounted high on the windshield just to the left of the rear view mirror. That way I can easily mute it. I have hardwired them to my other cars, but I was lazy and just concealed a cord into the glovebox where there is a switched 12v outlet. Didn't figure I was going to use it for anything else. Works perfect and you can't see any cord.

Plus the fuse box is in the trunk. I guess you could hunt around for another switched 12v wire, but I don't really like prying apart dash pieces to find one.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Let me tell you cause I love mine:
I have the power cable tucked nicely under and into the mirror/lamp complex overhead. I have V1 on the driver side of the R/V mirror.
I found a line in the overhead lamp compartment that is switched with the ignition but delayed. I think it is the same wire that powers the map lights or the moonroof. I also found a screw as my contact to the body panel. My V1 turns on when I unlock the car and goes out about 5 min after the car is locked. I wish I had taken pictures.

I did the same idea for my E46 M3, but every month or so the system would get confused and shut down the power to that circuit, I think. MB has been working flawlessly for 1+ year
Old 02-20-2010, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
although i've been to lazy to conceal my wire all the way there, i have mine plugged into the glovebox outlet. seems if you did it, the trip would be a lot shorter than using the ash tray one, plus you'll have one up front if you ever need it for a phone or something. my ash tray is closed like 99.99% percent of the time. less clutter.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:47 PM

very nice. how do those Laser Interceptors work? I had a pair of Blinder M-40s and they worked quite well. But i sold them and im now looking at the M-47 Xtremes (or whatever theyre called) because now the software can be updated instead of buying a whole new unit.

Originally Posted by qship5
Great advice! I programmed my V1 to disable X band and laser and rely on my Laser Interceptor to cover the laser. No false alarms from infintiti cruise conrtols, Trailblazer tail lights, etc. IMO, the perfect combo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 Interference