911 GT3
Modded M5
Supercharged Vette
Super Snake

And the really good stuff:

SLS
SL65 Black Series
CLK 63 Black Series

The SLS was incredibly fast down the straight - much faster than its HP and weight, etc. would lead you to believe (no excuses, though - I think he got a run on me coming out of the last turn). The SL65 was incredible, though. Looks like Darth Vader's car, and sounds like it, too. Very distinctive, very, very cool sound down the straight. With an instructor driver at 8/10's, it was getting close to 160 on the straight.

We had two days and there were only about 22 drivers there, so tons of track time. We had several professional instructors (incl. a Le Mans winner) and M-B techs. A couple of cars had problems, but the techs quickly got most of them back on track within a couple of hours (one of the non M-B's had a problem that was not fixable at the track). Only one major excursion, but no damage.

It was just a great all around weekend. And believe it or not, it was organized by a dealer! Mercedes-Benz of Buckhead set it all up (2nd year in a row), and I just wanted to publicly thank Kevin, Jeff and all the techs for all their work in getting it done again this year. It was just awesome.

Pictures should be coming soon (hopefully).
Old 06-21-2010, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Any issues with the 103db from the track crew? I love that track, if I had known about the event I would have been there with some friends.
Hope you have some video as well?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
As far as I know, there were no issues. And the two Vipers were obviously over the limit, although they did not run nearly as much as some of the others. If they had run the whole time, maybe it would have come up, but I believe those guys had other cars there that they ran on track part of the time.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Look forward to the pics!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 PM

2002 C32 (gone), 2009 C63 K1
Just heard about this event from the dealer when I went in to ask about Kleemann ECU upgrade options! Sorry I missed it. Glad everyone had fun. Pics!
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 PM

no more AMG
Damn, everytime I go to the track I'm the only MB.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
dying for pics over here...
Old 06-22-2010, 02:31 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Did you hear any driver comments on how the CLK BS compared to the SLS on the track ?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:05 AM

2010 C63
I drove both at the AMG Driving Academy at Road Atlanta, and I actually liked the CLK63BS better on the track. It seems much "smaller" and quicker in transition. It was just effortless. That was at 8/10's. I believe that my impression would likely change at 9 or 10/10's. The SLS seemed to have much more in reserve.

As far as track times, I don't think its close. Note that the same guy brought both the SLS (with carbon brakes) and the CLK Black. He preferred the SLS and predicted it was probably a couple or three secs faster around (we couldn't use timing equiptment due to insurance). Based on my its-in-my-rear-view-mirror-now-its-in-front-of-me perspective, the SLS was much faster down the straight and was carrying a lot more speed though the last corner. Beyond elapsed time, I am not sure why he liked the SLS more.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:47 AM

C63
pics!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:36 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by ATL_MB
I drove both at the AMG Driving Academy at Road Atlanta, and I actually liked the CLK63BS better on the track. It seems much "smaller" and quicker in transition. It was just effortless. That was at 8/10's. I believe that my impression would likely change at 9 or 10/10's. The SLS seemed to have much more in reserve.

As far as track times, I don't think its close. Note that the same guy brought both the SLS (with carbon brakes) and the CLK Black. He preferred the SLS and predicted it was probably a couple or three secs faster around (we couldn't use timing equiptment due to insurance). Based on my its-in-my-rear-view-mirror-now-its-in-front-of-me perspective, the SLS was much faster down the straight and was carrying a lot more speed though the last corner. Beyond elapsed time, I am not sure why he liked the SLS more.
Thanks. That's what I expected...
Old 06-24-2010, 05:05 PM

2010 C63
How did you C63 do? Brakes? Tires? Understeer?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
The C63 could be nearly as fast as the SLS has AMG put the same headers and tune on the car. Switch roles and detune the SLS and put the brick headers from the C63 and put long tube headers and tune on the C63 and see which one is faster.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by C63newdude
The C63 could be nearly as fast as the SLS has AMG put the same headers and tune on the car. Switch roles and detune the SLS and put the brick headers from the C63 and put long tube headers and tune on the C63 and see which one is faster.
How about the different cams, intake and dry sump oiling system not to mention the twin clutch transmission. The SLS was a clean sheet of paper chassis design. Your suggesting that a header change would even the gap?
Not going to happen.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Dude - No. Just no. I cannot explain to you how fast that SLS went around me (I have a tune and locking diff). The SLS was a little slower than the SL65 at the end of the straight -- and the Black is tuned and is putting down more power than Three Mile Island.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:45 PM

2010 C63
Originally Posted by FBTO
How did you C63 do? Brakes? Tires? Understeer?
The car did great. I put on Bridgestone Potenzas RE760's (cheap and pretty hard). The brakes and tires held up pretty well (started at 34 psi - after 5-6 laps they were around 42, except for the LF which was well above that). We rotated the front tires on Sunday morning.

The car understeered a bit but was easy to control and rotate when driving with both feet. The pro drivers could drift it easily. It was noticably faster with ESP set to "Sport", although the ESP was not real intrusive when on (you could feel it cutting in, esp. pulling out of corners) - I did not try ESP "Off" as I like my car on the pavement and my marriage intact.

I will be bleeding the brakes and changing the oil this weekend - will check on the pads then (I have a spare front set, which I think I will need).

As I said on another thread, the only problem I had was with my power steering which was overheating and overflowing the resevoir making the pump cavitate a bit. The fluid went from "max" to "min", but I did not need to add any. Rested the car with some big fans on it and it was fine. M-B techs at the track said it was not uncommon on C63s - they are working on a cure.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:03 PM

2010 C63
The car did great. I put on Bridgestone Potenzas RE760's (cheap and pretty hard). The brakes and tires held up pretty well (started at 34 psi - after 5-6 laps they were around 42, except for the LF which was well above that). We rotated the front tires on Sunday morning.

The car understeered a bit but was easy to control and rotate when driving with both feet. The pro drivers could drift it easily. It was noticably faster with ESP set to "Sport", although the ESP was not real intrusive when on (you could feel it cutting in, esp. pulling out of corners) - I did not try ESP "Off" as I like my car on the pavement and my marriage intact.

I will be bleeding the brakes and changing the oil this weekend - will check on the pads then (I have a spare front set, which I think I will need).

As I said on another thread, the only problem I had was with my power steering which was overheating and overflowing the resevoir making the pump cavitate a bit. The fluid went from "max" to "min", but I did not need to add any. Rested the car with some big fans on it and it was fine. M-B techs at the track said it was not uncommon on C63s - they are working on a cure.

Thanks for the info. I am running bone stock.

My tires have nitro, so I will leave them stock.

Gonna run in sport mode and M mode.

Will keep an eye on the power steering fluid.

Not trying to get lap record, just stretching my legs on the car and having fun.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:11 PM

2010 C63
Seems like M Mode is tough on the transmission - generates a lot of heat. I have tried it, but find that the computer is better than I am, especially after a lap or so once the computer figures out you are really serious. I would suggest trying it both ways, but I would be surprised if you don't keep it in "S" most of the time.

But let me know - would like others' view on this.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Seems like M Mode is tough on the transmission - generates a lot of heat. I have tried it, but find that the computer is better than I am, especially after a lap or so once the computer figures out you are really serious. I would suggest trying it both ways, but I would be surprised if you don't keep it in "S" most of the time.

But let me know - would like others' view on this.
With ESP in sport and the tranny shifting it self in sport the car is just about point and shoot. I have forgotten to change the esp and the car goes nuts trying to compensate for the aggressive driving style that it does not want to support. If you have fresh tires, cool to warm temps and an overall grippy track then ESP off is great as it adds a greater feeling of driver control through the constant input and correction that is required.

As to the difference vs the SLS or SLBS: I have 8 days now at Roebling and I can shoot turn 9 onto the straight just over 100 mph. Given that, I still only manage mid to high 140's which is no where near the 160 mentioned for the "super cars".
Old 06-25-2010, 11:53 PM

no more AMG
Yeah, I don't run mine in M mode either. S on the trans and ESP on sport.