C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brabus voids the MB warranty!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 cayenne turbo ,2010 750 li,2010 c63, 2008 ml63,2008 lx570, 2006 modded f150
brabus voids the MB warranty!!

i was going to buy a b63s tune for my c63. i told my self , before i do it i'll ask the dealer. the dealer sent an e-mail to daimler. they replyed :
"any unauthorized moddification on the engine control unit will void the warranty on the engine and possibly other powertrain parts which are affected by the increased output from the moddification. the above mentionel rule is applied also to brabus."
Attached Thumbnails brabus voids the MB warranty!!-untitled.bmp  
Old 07-03-2010, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
And this is a surprise why exactly?? They are an aftermarket tuner, what else would MB say
Old 07-03-2010, 06:13 AM

2011 cayenne turbo ,2010 750 li,2010 c63, 2008 ml63,2008 lx570, 2006 modded f150
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
And this is a surprise why exactly?? They are an aftermarket tuner, what else would MB say
because i read on some posts that brabus doesn't void the warranty. and when i asked brabus for the price of the tune they said 9000 euros. they said its expensive because it doesnt effect the warranty
Old 07-03-2010, 06:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GT-S & GLE 63S Coupe
It doesn't void the warranty in the UK - the Brabus kit here is ONLY available directly from a Mercedes-Benz main dealer and as such, MB UK honour all warranties.

This of course may just be in the UK but I'm also pretty sure this is the case across Europe. Of course, in the States, things are very different what with your strange laws and rules!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Its simple. If a MB dealer is authorized for Brabus the dealer will keep the 2 different warranties straight. Why would you expect for MB to pay and fix it and then go after Brabus for reimbursement. You are the one that modded it.

Look at it another way. You buy a set of aftermarket wheels and tires that are claimed to fit your MB. You put them on and you don't like the way they fit. Are you going to complain to MB that these don't fit and ask MB to fix it.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
i would think only Renntech which is dealer authorized in the US will not void warranty
Old 07-03-2010, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 S430, 2004 Cobra, 2004 Tahoe
Any aftermarket tuner will void the Factory warranty. The only way any warranty is kept intact is if the dealership themselves install the aftermarket parts. Now if I remember correctly the aftermarket tuners carry some type of warranty themselves, but I doubt it would cover a blown motor or transmission.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Act.

A manufacturer cannot void the warranty of a vehicle just because aftermarket parts (a tune in this case) are installed. A manufacturer can deny warranty work on a vehicle if an aftermarket emissions part is what caused the need for repair. But it cannot wholly deny a vehicle warranty.

For example, your car's stereo goes out under the factory warranty, and you have an engine tune. The manufacturer must repair the radio under warranty, regardless of whether or not you have that tune, because the tune did not cause the radio to stop working. I'm over simplifying it, but you get the idea.

The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.
Link:
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Last edited by Sathinas; 07-03-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:32 AM

C63
Originally Posted by shardul
i would think only Renntech which is dealer authorized in the US will not void warranty
From my understanding, even Renntech voids the original MB warranty on the parts replaced.
Although, if a MB dealer also provides Renntech tunes, then they can claim those parts from the Renntech warranty.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Maverick1975
And this is a surprise why exactly??
Originally Posted by AbdullahROM
because i read on some posts that...
There's your problem right there.

As with many topics, you find some folks who chime in and offer an opinion but don't really know what they're talking about.

To keep it simple: no aftermarket tuner is "authorized" by MB and, by extension, warranty coverage may be denied by MB for any failures that result due to the aftermarket modification(s). If having unquestionably intact warranty coverage is important to you, leave your vehicle stock. Simple as that.

Some tuners offer their own warranty coverage to varying degrees, to aid in covering the potentially-partially-lost MB coverage... I do not know what Brabus' policy is, but I'd guess it's quite comprehensive in this regard, due to their price and reputation.

Just because a dealership also is a vendor for certain tuners doesn't mean "MB approves of these tuners" or "MB warranty is unaffected." Don't believe for a second that what any individual dealership decides to do or not do has any say over what MB Corporate can do or is willing to do in a given situation... doesn't work that way. If you do buy your tuning and install from a dealership though, what it typically does mean, is that the dealership's service department will either try to get the repair covered "under the radar" or, they'll go to bat for you with MB and try to get something fixed as a goodwill gesture, even if MB had the right to refuse the coverage.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM

As with many topics, you find some folks who chime in and offer an opinion but don't really know what they're talking about.

To keep it simple: no aftermarket tuner is "authorized" by MB and, by extension, warranty coverage may be denied by MB for any failures that result due to the aftermarket modification(s). If having unquestionably intact warranty coverage is important to you, leave your vehicle stock. Simple as that.

Some tuners offer their own warranty coverage to varying degrees, to aid in covering the potentially-partially-lost MB coverage... I do not know what Brabus' policy is, but I'd guess it's quite comprehensive in this regard, due to their price and reputation.

Just because a dealership also is a vendor for certain tuners doesn't mean "MB approves of these tuners" or "MB warranty is unaffected." Don't believe for a second that what any individual dealership decides to do or not do has any say over what MB Corporate can do or is willing to do in a given situation... doesn't work that way. If you do buy your tuning and install from a dealership though, what it typically does mean, is that the dealership's service department will either try to get the repair covered "under the radar" or, they'll go to bat for you with MB and try to get something fixed as a goodwill gesture, even if MB had the right to refuse the coverage.
Brett-
Great explanation and, as always, 100% on the ball!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
This is like the millionth thread on aftermarket and warranties.....

+1 million on what c32AMG-DTM, amdeutsch, and Sathinas said.

Now put the thread to sleep.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
The only tuner certified that won't void your warranty is ///AMG.

Everything else is subjective and depends how flexible the dealer is
Old 07-03-2010, 06:14 PM

C63
Give this guy a medal! He knows what he's talking about!

Old 07-03-2010, 06:29 PM

thanks c32AMG-DTM for clearing that up
Old 07-03-2010, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
No worries, fellas; lot of misinformation out there about this kind of stuff... just offering what I believe to be accurate and germane to the OP's question. Thanks for the kind words though.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
wow... i'm surprised they sent you an email.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:14 PM

In my case that I have the B63S, Brabus replace the MB warranty by one of Brabus. I have the luck that here the official distribuitor of MB also is the representative of Brabus.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Niti24

Wow that sucks. Their warranties are so stupid. Almost anything voids them
Old 07-04-2010, 11:37 AM

09 C63 11 E350
Originally Posted by Niti24
Wow that sucks. Their warranties are so stupid. Almost anything voids them

Why are the factory policies stupid? MB and AMG literally spend millions of dollars or research and development,prior to releasing a product to the public.You already HAVE 452 horsepower. Why should they fix something that is so well designed from the factory.

So stupid? Let's say you don't have a modded car and you have a catastrophic engine issue. They replace the $30K+ engine and you pay nothing. Or a $10K transmission. Stupid is dicking around with a perfectly good car. You want a RACE CAR-BUILD A RACE CAR.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Arclight338
Why are the factory policies stupid? MB and AMG literally spend millions of dollars or research and development,prior to releasing a product to the public.You already HAVE 452 horsepower. Why should they fix something that is so well designed from the factory.

So stupid? Let's say you don't have a modded car and you have a catastrophic engine issue. They replace the $30K+ engine and you pay nothing. Or a $10K transmission. Stupid is dicking around with a perfectly good car. You want a RACE CAR-BUILD A RACE CAR.

+1 indeed. "YOU WANNA RACE CAR?-THEN BUILD A RACE CAR."
Old 07-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Niti24

Im not talking about the engine. That make half the price. Im not saying to fix it. I bought a Ml350 and the tranny went dead within 4 months. How much dicking around can you do in 4 months? Exactly! If they spend so much money to perfect it, then they should do it right. And all Mercedes should be put together in Germany, where they are made. Not Africa like mine and have it break.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by Niti24
Im not talking about the engine. That make half the price. Im not saying to fix it. I bought a Ml350 and the tranny went dead within 4 months. How much dicking around can you do in 4 months? Exactly! If they spend so much money to perfect it, then they should do it right. And all Mercedes should be put together in Germany, where they are made. Not Africa like mine and have it break.

What are you babbling about?
Old 07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
The whole issue of warranty voiding is purely on a dealer by dealer, service rep by service rep basis. It ALL depends on your dealer and your service rep. They make all the difference in the world.

tips are usually encouraged
Old 07-05-2010, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)

Hit the nail with a sledgehammer. You mod it, you are on your own to a degree. MB of Duluth and Buckhead in Atl will do Renntech and Kleeman mods, but they have to cover any problems themselves, not MB. As explained to me by the SM/SA's.

Originally Posted by Arclight338

+...Priceless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: brabus voids the MB warranty!!