Sponsored by:

ME97 PROGRAMMER ... I JUST LOADED MY OWN TUNE IN MY GARAGE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C63 AMG
ME97 PROGRAMMER ... I JUST LOADED MY OWN TUNE IN MY GARAGE

I previously posted my experience with logging data with my ME97...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post4156503

I decided to try to load my tune from my tuner..... The process again, is extremely easy and anyone who can use a device such as an IPOD can do this.
I also took photos during the process..

1. Drag and Drop tune into the ME97 through USB
2. Go to your ecu
3. Disconnect ECU harness Small, then Big
4. Connect Programmer adapter to small side of ECU
5. Connect the Ground Wire, then Power
6. Plug in programmer, Flip the switch and wait..(Switch away from parting line is TUNE..Closer is Stock) It flashed green, then lit solid red during programming... about 30 secs...
7. Reverse process and Done...

Tune is installed...

Thanks you LOLA Champ Car for making such a user friendly device that is going to change the world of tuning and programming for those of you who take advantage one it....
Attached Thumbnails ME97 PROGRAMMER ... I JUST LOADED MY OWN TUNE IN MY GARAGE-photo5.jpg   ME97 PROGRAMMER ... I JUST LOADED MY OWN TUNE IN MY GARAGE-photo4.jpg   ME97 PROGRAMMER ... I JUST LOADED MY OWN TUNE IN MY GARAGE-photo3.jpg   ME97 PROGRAMMER ... I JUST LOADED MY OWN TUNE IN MY GARAGE-photo2.jpg   ME97 PROGRAMMER ... I JUST LOADED MY OWN TUNE IN MY GARAGE-photo.jpg  

ME97 PROGRAMMER ... I JUST LOADED MY OWN TUNE IN MY GARAGE-photo7.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 PM

E63
Is LOLA Champ Car a MB tuner? What kind of numbers did you see before/after?
Also what values do you log? LOLA made any changes to your file based on your logs? I can see this being beneficial to those running a turbo or supercharger but nat. asp. I'm not so sure?TY
Old 07-18-2010, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds promising. No one had to break open the ECU and program via BDM initially for the first time? I'm still a little confused.......

No offense, but lets give one of these to Superlubricity and have him do a write-up.

Last edited by Sincity; 07-18-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 PM

E63
Originally Posted by Sincity
Sounds promising. No one had to break open the ECU and program via BDM initially for the first time? I'm still a little confused....... No offense, but lets give one of these to Superlubricity and have him a write-up.
Ok I did some backreading on this "mod". Looks like someone has to open the ECU once to make a change to the firmware inside the ECU in order for this to work, so technically it still has to be opened. My question is, does the change being made in order to allow OBD reading & writing have anything to do with disabling the immobilizer?TIA
Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
12C P85DL
Sounds promising. No one had to break open the ECU and program via BDM initially for the first time? I'm still a little confused.......

No offense, but lets give one of these to Superlubricity and have him do a write-up.
The original tuner enabled the ECU for OBDii programming when he installed the tuned file via BDM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 PM

12C P85DL
Originally Posted by RStevens63
Ok I did some backreading on this "mod". Looks like someone has to open the ECU once to make a change to the firmware inside the ECU in order for this to work, so technically it still has to be opened. My question is, does the change being made in order to allow OBD reading & writing have anything to do with disabling the immobilizer?TIA
Yes it was opened and programmed via BDM to enable OBDii programming and no, this has nothing to do with any other system in the car.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
As much as I'd like to check one out, I don't see a real benefit. I've got datalogging software already (AutoEnginuity) and I'm happy with the tune already installed.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 PM

E63
Originally Posted by lolachampcar
Yes it was opened and programmed via BDM to enable OBDii programming and no, this has nothing to do with any other system in the car.
Thank you!
Old 07-18-2010, 08:48 PM

E63
Originally Posted by superlubricity
As much as I'd like to check one out, I don't see a real benefit. I've got datalogging software already (AutoEnginuity) and I'm happy with the tune already installed.
Agreed. For something seriously modified and if a tuner is willing to work with you it makes a lot of sense, otherwise I'd rather leave well enough alone.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 PM

'10 C63 AMG
Agreed. For something seriously modified and if a tuner is willing to work with you it makes a lot of sense, otherwise I'd rather leave well enough alone.
I thought the same... First of all... this logs everything so you know exactly what is happening with your car including timing, engine knock, air temps...

This tool can really help you with see what works well with your car...The best part about it is that if I make a small or major up grade I can look at the data and have my tuner make adjustments accordingly... This tool is not for everyone... It's for people that are passionate ..

For example.. in the next 30 days I am making 2 definite upgrades...
#1 X-Pipe.. I will be able to log all the data and see where my torque improved or if I lost compared to stock... along with many other variables..

#2 NOS- I am going to run a small shot of NOS.... This will also really help me .....

If you are just the type to just buy a tune and drive the car... This is not for you...but I like to optimize my cars performance... It's not about peak numbers... it's about how it comes on
Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
I agree. Not having to send out the ECU for re-flashes (if needed) would be a nice plus.

I could also see the benefits if there were a bunch of Tuner maps out there ready to load. (E.g. a header map, race fuel map, catless map, N20 map, etc.) <- If this were to happen it would be significant.

Otherwise and for the time being, this is a loader (not a programmer as you have no control over the variables yourself) for a pre-existing tune file with the bonus of datalogging.

I'll stay tuned as this evolves.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:49 PM

E63
Originally Posted by NOSONYXC63
I thought the same... First of all... this logs everything so you know exactly what is happening with your car including timing, engine knock, air temps...

This tool can really help you with see what works well with your car...The best part about it is that if I make a small or major up grade I can look at the data and have my tuner make adjustments accordingly... This tool is not for everyone... It's for people that are passionate ..

For example.. in the next 30 days I am making 2 definite upgrades...
#1 X-Pipe.. I will be able to log all the data and see where my torque improved or if I lost compared to stock... along with many other variables..

#2 NOS- I am going to run a small shot of NOS.... This will also really help me .....

If you are just the type to just buy a tune and drive the car... This is not for you...but I like to optimize my cars performance... It's not about peak numbers... it's about how it comes on
What you're saying would make sense if all tunes were created equal, however there is a decent spread as to who makes the most & least power, that's taken from dyno's and track data posted on this forum alone. This tool may help some tuners learn; how to tune for mods, but won't do anything for others that already know. You won't have to change anything in your tune for the X-pipe, IIRC superlubricity did a nice write-up on his install and the gains already. With nitrous I guess I can see where it would be useful but again if you already have the right file you don't need more than 1, anything up to a 75 shot won't require any changes to your nat. asp. tuning. I look forward to your nitrous results, we don't have enough sprayed 63s out there, but personally feel that buying a better tune up front eliminates the need to change tunes. If I make a change that does require a tune revision yes it would come in handy, but how many changes of significance will I make? Optimal performance to me means running quicker & faster than the other guy, this usually happens by combining superior parts and tuning. I'd rather buy what I know work the best up front even if I have to pull and send my ECU in. Now if this tool had end user adjustability like super said, that would be different, then again how many people are going to try their hand at adjusting the tune on a $60,000 motor? Either way cool stuff you guys are doing and best of luck.

Last edited by RStevens63; 07-18-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:59 AM

12C P85DL
Originally Posted by superlubricity
I agree. Not having to send out the ECU for re-flashes (if needed) would be a nice plus.

I could also see the benefits if there were a bunch of Tuner maps out there ready to load. (E.g. a header map, race fuel map, catless map, N20 map, etc.) <- If this were to happen it would be significant.

Otherwise and for the time being, this is a loader (not a programmer as you have no control over the variables yourself) for a pre-existing tune file with the bonus of datalogging.

I'll stay tuned as this evolves.
I work with a lot of different tuners and am often asked "what tune should I buy" or "what tune is the best". I recommend choosing a tuner based on a personal relationship with the guy/gal actually doing the file edits. He/She is the one providing the value and a good working relationship with that person may lead to inclusions in the development cycle. All good tuners will learn as they go and improve their product. Having the ability to participate as a "Beta" or field test site can pay dividends in the long run. The programmer provides an avenue for this process to occur.

Of course, if you are just buying a re-flash with no interest in further developments then things like price, reputation, ability to make things right if something goes wrong and all those issues move to the forefront.

Superlubricity is right in that this tool is not for everyone. I remember several lengthy conversations at a large tuner several years back on the real value of building this tool. Unlike the ME2.7 and ME2.8 tools, I was (and still am) unable to get around MB's re-flashing security on the ME97 and thus everyone must be opened to enable programming. I did not feel there was sufficient value in the tool to produce it at the time but the tuner in question ordered it anyway and here we are.........
Old 07-19-2010, 03:01 PM

E63
Originally Posted by lolachampcar
Of course, if you are just buying a re-flash with no interest in further developments then things like price, reputation, ability to make things right if something goes wrong and all those issues move to the forefront.
That's the point I hit on. I'd rather buy MKB now, despite not having the ability to swap tunes at home, as I know it will be lightyears ahead of whatever else is on the market 2 years from now. Tuners like that don't screw up, and therefore don't need a second chance at making an optimal tune. What tuners are and aren't using your hardware lola?TIA
Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 PM

12C P85DL
It sounds like MKB are the right guys for you
Old 07-19-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If it was`nt for their price,i would`ve gotten it a while ago.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Any further development on this device?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:52 AM

12C P85DL
Any further development on this device?
Some improvements in tunes from what I have seen but nothing on the tool. It programs and it logs data.... Apart from getting past MB/Bosch's RSA signing, there is nothing left to do with the programming tool.