Worst C63 review ever?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by Ubergeist
You want to down shift from 7th to 2nd? Put it in auto mode, and floor it.

Done deal.

Only thing I agreed on, is it should come in a coupe. The regular C class should too.
or just hold the left peddle for couple secs, and before you lift your eyes you'll be doing double the speed
Old 08-02-2010, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Vegas_AMG
I don't agree with either of you. A four door sedan was necessary to keep the cost in the rage of MB's other cars, CL, SL but still give it performace worthy of the AMG badge. They could have gone the CLK route for the coupe to get your 2-doors, I'm glad they didn't. The CLK Black was/is a special car, the "regular" CLK63 wasn't really a US car.
The price difference betwen a regular C and the C63 is the cost of the engine and trany. I would venture a guess that MB doesn't make a profit on our cars.

Performance MB's along with a LOT of other higher-end performance cars aren't about a manual transmissions any more. The only thing this car lacks IMHO is the '10 E-63's MCT.
They probably would if they didn't need $10k in trunk money to move the damn things.

As to manual transmissions, thats what I want. Whether the majority of buyers do or don't, I at least want the option.

One of the reasons I will never consider an AMG car other than the S/CL65 is because of the slushbox.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by Oliverk
They probably would if they didn't need $10k in trunk money to move the damn things.

As to manual transmissions, thats what I want. Whether the majority of buyers do or don't, I at least want the option.

One of the reasons I will never consider an AMG car other than the S/CL65 is because of the slushbox.
How many times do you guys shift per second? Damn I haven't seen that much complaining about a transmission. What doesn't it do?

You come in on a corner at let's say about 100MPH in 4th gear, you brake, downshift (it even rev matches) and get back on the throttle after the corner, it's a big total of one gear up, one gear down.

If you find the right shift points you'll see the lag is extremely minimal, anyways if the shifting was that horrible, wouldn't it be slower than all its competitors in a straight line (M3, RS4, ISF)?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by chief63
How many times do you guys shift per second? Damn I haven't seen that much complaining about a transmission. What doesn't it do?

You come in on a corner at let's say about 100MPH in 4th gear, you brake, downshift (it even rev matches) and get back on the throttle after the corner, it's a big total of one gear up, one gear down.

If you find the right shift points you'll see the lag is extremely minimal, anyways if the shifting was that horrible, wouldn't it be slower than all its competitors in a straight line (M3, RS4, ISF)?
Shifts are not nearly as quick as the automated manual transmissions, but I don't even really care about that.

I have no interest in sports cars/sedans without a manual transmission because I enjoy the experience of shifting it myself...period.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E300D, 97 FZJ-80
Shifts are not nearly as quick as the automated manual transmissions, but I don't even really care about that.

I have no interest in sports cars/sedans without a manual transmission because I enjoy the experience of shifting it myself...period.
x2.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan

you got to remember that Mercedes Benz is a luxury automaker, whats luxury about having to work your arm out by shifting every 10 seconds, or can you imagine how misreble you would be driving thru traffic? Amg MB's are performance cars but still luxury comes first!!! oh and the auto gearbox shifts faster than any human ever can!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by tasho3
you got to remember that Mercedes Benz is a luxury automaker, whats luxury about having to work your arm out by shifting every 10 seconds, or can you imagine how misreble you would be driving thru traffic? Amg MB's are performance cars but still luxury comes first!!! oh and the auto gearbox shifts faster than any human ever can!
look at the dash of your C63. Take a good look at that, and then the door panels, and the center console. I'll give you that the seats are nice.

You really see anything luxurious here? The C-class is an entry level car.

I drive my porker through traffic all the time. The clutch is light and its easy to shift. I don't see the big deal. Its not like the clutch pedal would have high effort.

Speed of shifts was addressed above.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 08-02-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
look at the dash of your C63. Take a good look at that, and then the door panels, and the center console. I'll give you that the seats are nice.

I drive my porker through traffic all the time. The clutch is light and its easy to shift. I don't see the big deal. Its not like the clutch pedal would have high effort.

I love my entry level car though. I like the interior quite a bit. It was either this car or the M3.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by GBlansten
I love my entry level car though. I like the interior quite a bit. It was either this car or the M3.
You can like it fine.

My point was that its not really a luxurious car. It already has a brash exhaust, why not add a proper manual transmission.

You already have the pedal box/shifter from the C300, get a tremec 6060, fab up a tranny mount and driveshaft and you're basically done.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
You can like it fine.

My point was that its not really a luxurious car. It already has a brash exhaust, why not add a proper manual transmission.

You already have the pedal box/shifter from the C300, get a tremec 6060, fab up a tranny mount and driveshaft and you're basically done.
I think the problem for Mercedes is that they are a for profit company and don't see a business case for offering a manual transmission. And, a fortiori, each passing year results in less demand for manuals so we'll never see AMG offer one.

I had a 2006 SLK 350 with a MT. They dropped the manual option for the 350 after that. They just don't sell in the US even on the regular MB versions.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
I think his problem was he based his review on his demo not having any options. The options are available so don't fault the entire model line just because yours didn't have them. This is amateur automotive journalism at its best.

The stripped base model C63 serves a great purpose - it's for enthusiasts who don't care about all the other inconsequential gadgets that run up the price and are not necessary for enjoying the true performance of an AMG. Would you climb into a F1 car and complain about the lack of iPod adapters and climate control? This guy probably would.

I'd actually like to see the idea taken a bit farther - factory stripped and minimalized street legal performance cars for the track. Instead of those nice leather seats and trim substitute a Stack cluster, fiberglass race seats and a full harness. For the price of the stereo system they could probably swap a basic telemetry setup.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM

If you've driving a car to the max on a race track, you're probably miss more than one shift, that's why its bad news, bad for the transmission, clutch, etc.

An F1 race car doesn't have a manual transmission and uses paddle shift, as does a Bugatti veyron, I think the fun factor depends on the car more than the way of shifting.

On my part I loved the manual until I had a race clutch in stopped traffic, that's how much I loved manual cars. But if you get some trafic from time to time, it's just not much worth it. The transmission will perform better than any human could. Time yourself and see if you can upshift in 0.2 seconds, including switching the pedals and gas. The best you'll do is around 0.4 seconds...
Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Oh wow all the REAL reviews on the internet all talk positive about the car and now some nobody (obviously paid by BMW) decides to bash the C63 and everyone body flips. WHo gives a shiet what he thinks of the car BTW all BMW interiors are wack as **** (including the 7 series against the S class). Everywhere I go everybody loves my car much better than the M3.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan

trying to smart talk me?! um its a 60K AMG!!!! what part of that dont you understand! pay a few extra K's and AMG studio will wrap it in leather!! take a look at the link

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...rior-pics.html

Last edited by tasho3; 08-02-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan
Originally Posted by soldier2304
Oh wow all the REAL reviews on the internet all talk positive about the car and now some nobody (obviously paid by BMW) decides to bash the C63 and everyone body flips. WHo gives a shiet what he thinks of the car BTW all BMW interiors are wack as **** (including the 7 series against the S class). Everywhere I go everybody loves my car much better than the M3.
+1
Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
If you've driving a car to the max on a race track, you're probably miss more than one shift, that's why its bad news, bad for the transmission, clutch, etc.

An F1 race car doesn't have a manual transmission and uses paddle shift, as does a Bugatti veyron, I think the fun factor depends on the car more than the way of shifting.

On my part I loved the manual until I had a race clutch in stopped traffic, that's how much I loved manual cars. But if you get some trafic from time to time, it's just not much worth it. The transmission will perform better than any human could. Time yourself and see if you can upshift in 0.2 seconds, including switching the pedals and gas. The best you'll do is around 0.4 seconds...
I'd rather miss a shift on rare occasion than be waiting for a downshift exactly when I want it.

F1 cars used to have manual boxes, and I enjoyed the sport much more then. A veyron is a great car, but I'd like it better with a manual transmission. Furthermore, neither the veyron or F1 box have anything to do with an automatic transmission. They are simply automated manuals.

A 451bhp car doesn't need any sort of race clutch. If Porsche can put a manual tranny in its turbo without a high effort clutch, so can mercedes.

The automatic won't out perform a good manual driver on the track. An automated manual? sure.

Originally Posted by tasho3
trying to smart talk me?! um its a 60K AMG!!!! what part of that dont you understand! pay a few extra K's and AMG studio will wrap it in leather!! take a look at the link

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...rior-pics.html
Damn right I'm "smart talking you". The C class and even E class interior materials are absolute DOG****. I've seen softer and richer plastic on a god damn corolla. IT IS AN ENTRY LEVEL CAR!

As for the AMG studio, lets see that on a US car.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 PM

The automatic won't out perform a good manual driver on the track.
Road and track says different. I remember this article I read earlier this year which is a good read, showing both upside and downsides to each one. The paddle shift manual is consistently faster with the same driver on the track. Still its still unclar if its a fully automated manual, or an automatic with paddle shift, but it's pretty close.

The important thing in a transmission is to allow control of the engine revolution, if an automatic can do that and give you full control, what else do you need?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto_new...hift-gearboxes

I guess for me its down to having better acceleration and performance on the track, as well as no hasstle during traffic hour, to sacrifice a little of day to day driving enjoyment I guess...

Last edited by chief63; 08-02-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Road and track says different. I remember this article I read earlier this year which is a good read, showing both upside and downsides to each one. The paddle shift manual is consistently faster with the same driver on the track. Still its still unclar if its a fully automated manual, or an automatic with paddle shift, but it's pretty close.

The important thing in a transmission is to allow control of the engine revolution, if an automatic can do that and give you full control, what else do you need?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto_new...hift-gearboxes

I guess for me its down to having better acceleration and performance on the track, as well as no hasstle during traffic hour, to sacrifice a little of day to day driving enjoyment I guess...
those are automated manuals...no torque converter.

the auto does not give me full control or enjoyment.

I dont need to daily drive my fun car though so i can be choosy about the tranny
Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB

I dont need to daily drive my fun car though so i can be choosy about the tranny
What do you like about the C63 forum?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
He likes doing this:

with the "entry level car" talk.

Are you thinking about getting an entry level M3 btw?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
I love my c63...
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
It's funny how these threads can morph during the course of 40 or so posts. But in response to the new direction we have taken I do think MB missed an opportunity with the C63 as to giving it the identity that it could have had. Instead of building an econo version E63(smaller chassis, less power, less refinement and luxury) I wish they would have focused on building a class killer sedan with more performance orientation to appeal to a completely different buyer than an E63 customer. This car would have had the following:

In other words, I wish this car had been targeted as an econo CLK BS in sedan form. At least until a C class coupe is in production.
    Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 PM
    SMP
    MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
    CLK63 Black Series
    He's bored hanging out in the S500 forum talking about his mommy's hand-me-down 4matic
    Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 PM
    MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
    Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
    He likes doing this:

with the "entry level car" talk.

Are you thinking about getting an entry level M3 btw?

Love the C63 but lease is up in a year and I would consider the M3. Sure as hell would miss the 6.2 liter V8 though. Sigh.

C-class AMG coupe looks interesting.
    Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 PM
    MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C63 Sedan

dude you drive a old s500 4matic, in other words a slugish boat for Christ sake, how you gonna sit here and argue with people about performance on a car you can't even afford?!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worst C63 review ever?