Sponsored by:

Worst C63 review ever?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E63 PP, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2012 Boxster S
Thumbs down Worst C63 review ever?

I can subscribe to a few of his gripes to a lesser extent but overall this has to be the most negative review of the C63 I have ever read.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...edes-c633-amg/

One thing I cannot fathom is how you can drive the C63 for two days and not mention even a hint of the beauty of the power plant and sound in your review.

Ken
Old 08-02-2010, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I am 5 11 and find the seats amazingly supportive and comfy. This dude must be a fat *** even by american standards.

Obviously biased, perhaps needs to be taught how to work the paddles.

Whatever
Old 08-02-2010, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by cyberorth
I am 5 11 and find the seats amazingly supportive and comfy. This dude must be a fat *** even by american standards.

Obviously biased, perhaps needs to be taught how to work the paddles.

Whatever

+1
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
My god the entire page is a haters ball.

The first thing that people say about the seats is how amazing they look and how comfortable they are with a very tight feeling. The poor guy probably didn't understand how to adjust the back support.

I'm 6"0 200 pounds, my 6"4 240 pound friend also drove my car and he loved the seats.

This is extremely close to a true a race seat (I've had a few) and it's not for everyone. You can still drive 4 hours in the seats and not feel back pain at all, the support is excellent.

Still how can the guy not mention even once the awesome engine, performance and sound that this car has? This V8 has been voted engine of the year numerous times.

The only thing the guy talks about is that you can't go from 2nd to 7th gear in one shot, when the hell do you actually do that? I've driven plenty of manuals and I would probably go from 3rd to 5th once every 2 years lol
Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 C63BS 2009 Ferrari 16M 2016 Cayenne turbo S 2019 G63
I just posted the Auto Week review, which better describes the overall feelings towards the C63
Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I didn't like the seats the first time I test drove the car and had pretty much written it off. I'm actually fit and thin and I recessed back into the seat and the side bolsters held my arms too far forward. I even posted a thread on here about it way back.

On the second test drive I did a better job adjusting the seats and put the seat back more upright. Big difference and I like the seats now. When you get used to other cars and drive a new one sometimes little things get in the way until you adjust.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 AM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
Originally Posted by GBlansten
I didn't like the seats the first time I test drove the car and had pretty much written it off. I'm actually fit and thin and I recessed back into the seat and the side bolsters held my arms too far forward. I even posted a thread on here about it way back.

On the second test drive I did a better job adjusting the seats and put the seat back more upright. Big difference and I like the seats now. When you get used to other cars and drive a new one sometimes little things get in the way until you adjust.
+1 People who have never been in very tight seats or bucket seats are not comfortable at first. Maybe I always found them great from the start because I've had OMP race seats as daily drivers in the past.

My wife did not like the seats at first but now we tweaked the settings and she loves them.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 AM

95 E300D, 97 FZJ-80
You don't even need to read past the first paragraph to tell which vehicle he'd rather you buy. He made no attempt to find a single positive feature about the car. I've managed to find positive features about every vehicle I've ever driven (even the ones I'd never recommend to someone). I venture to guess that he owns BMW's and/or he's firmly clung onto BMW's sack.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:10 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Check out the comments on this article. These must all be buddies of the author of this review. All I can say is wow.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
It's amusing when you read "reviews" of cars done by people who can't afford them. The things that they normally look for in a car aren't the same as what those who are actually in the market for that car would look for.

Most of the complaints they have can be remedied by simply purchasing the optional extras that come from the factory. Of course, they'll then say these things should be standard because it's standard on an Infiniti or an Acura. Problem is...those things (electronic gadgetry, for example) have to be standard on those cars because they have nothing else to offer.

For the price people pay when buying a car like a C63, what they're getting is the killer engine, the awe-inspiring exhaust note, and a great ride/handling compromise, plus just enough of the Mercedes-Benz cachet that garners respect from 90% of the driving population. These types of things are not available (not even as options) from an Infiniti G35 Coupe, or a MY2000 Jaguar (LOL, the reviewer is on crack, obviously).

The people who commented on that review (with the exception of one) have never bought a Mercedes, much less an AMG. I suspect they've never even been inside one.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Looking at it objectively, there are some valid points. On the plastics, the interior I have heard others complain about it. The engine is awesome, the little time I got to drive one. The seats are fine when I test drove it, but I am 5'10".

Questions though:
On the transmission, everyone happy with the performance?
On the interior, and finish, couldn't this be better?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Looking at it objectively, there are some valid points. On the plastics, the interior I have heard others complain about it. The engine is awesome, the little time I got to drive one. The seats are fine when I test drove it, but I am 5'10".

Questions though:
On the transmission, everyone happy with the performance?
On the interior, and finish, couldn't this be better?
There's a difference, IMHO, between build quality and finishing. It's entirely possible to have a car that's built well, but doesn't use the absolute highest-standard of materials. The C63 (or C-class in general) is one of those cars. On the other hand, it's entirely possible to have cars that have interiors that look absolutely amazing, uitilizes materials that are appealing to the touch, but produces creaks and rattles after only 10,000 km of driving.

If those were the only two scenarios I could pick from, I know which I'd choose.

Just one other note...we're only paying (or paid) about US$60,000 for an AMG, for crying out loud. What do people expect??
Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 AM

95 E300D, 97 FZJ-80
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
There's a difference, IMHO, between build quality and finishing. It's entirely possible to have a car that's built well, but doesn't use the absolute highest-standard of materials. The C63 (or C-class in general) is one of those cars. On the other hand, it's entirely possible to have cars that have interiors that look absolutely amazing, uitilizes materials that are appealing to the touch, but produces creaks and rattles after only 10,000 km of driving.

If those were the only two scenarios I could pick from, I know which I'd choose.

Just one other note...we're only paying (or paid) about US$60,000 for an AMG, for crying out loud. What do people expect??
$60,000 is a good chunk of change for a C-class. That's one point that I have to agree with the reviewer on. The quality of interior components in a C-class is no more impressive than a $20k VW. What a C63 buyer is really paying for is: 1. The engine, and 2. The AMG name. Interior quality was obviously not a big priority in stepping up from the base C-class models.

Last edited by Xander Crews; 08-02-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by Xander Crews
$60,000 is a good chunk of change for a C-class. That's one point that I have to agree with the reviewer on. The quality of interior components in a C-class is no more impressive than a $20k VW. What a C63 buyer is really paying for is: 1. The engine, and 2. The AMG name. Interior quality was obviously not a big priority in stepping up from the base C-class models.
I suppose it depends on what the car buyer is looking for. $60,000 for a ballistic M156 engine that can easily be tuned to well over 500 horsepower in a tightly wrought body that handles gentle curves, sharp bends, and expansion joints all with equal aplomb, and still gives you MB panache...I think it's worth it...to me at least. I'm sure you could spend that much (or perhaps less) and get a car with more luxurious finishing, but it won't come with the nuclear powerplant of an engine that the C63 has.

I suspect the C63 buyer is looking for more performance DNA than luxury DNA, at least at this price point.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 PM

95 E300D, 97 FZJ-80
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I suppose it depends on what the car buyer is looking for. $60,000 for a ballistic M156 engine that can easily be tuned to well over 500 horsepower in a tightly wrought body that handles gentle curves, sharp bends, and expansion joints all with equal aplomb, and still gives you MB panache...I think it's worth it...to me at least. I'm sure you could spend that much (or perhaps less) and get a car with more luxurious finishing, but it won't come with the nuclear powerplant of an engine that the C63 has.

I suspect the C63 buyer is looking for more performance DNA than luxury DNA, at least at this price point.
Yup...I'm sure that's the case.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I agree with basically everything in the review, with the exception of his insistence of electronic shocks.

The C63 with a manual tranny and in coupe form would be about 100% better.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:23 PM

axe muderer with headlights
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I agree with basically everything in the review, with the exception of his insistence of electronic shocks.

The C63 with a manual tranny and in coupe form would be about 100% better.
I agree with you as well.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Next time they shouldn't give a BMW fanboy to do a review about a C63.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:40 PM

C63 & Mustang Mach1(s)
I don't agree with either of you. A four door sedan was necessary to keep the cost in the rage of MB's other cars, CL, SL but still give it performace worthy of the AMG badge. They could have gone the CLK route for the coupe to get your 2-doors, I'm glad they didn't. The CLK Black was/is a special car, the "regular" CLK63 wasn't really a US car.
The price difference betwen a regular C and the C63 is the cost of the engine and trany. I would venture a guess that MB doesn't make a profit on our cars.

Performance MB's along with a LOT of other higher-end performance cars aren't about a manual transmissions any more. The only thing this car lacks IMHO is the '10 E-63's MCT.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 PM

2009 c63, 2011 GT500
I will take this dumbass for a drive in my K2 C63 AND WE WILL SEE IF HE DOESN'T CHANGE WHAT HE WROTE AND PEE HIS PANTS LOOOOOOOOOOOL
Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM

n/a
My take on that piece of internet trash:

Mercedes’ decision to make the C63 auto-only is perplexing enough, but the fact that they also decided to ignore the rest of the M3 portfolio is truly baffling. Consider the competition: the M3 coupe and convertible [combined] outsell the M3 sedan almost five to one. This halfhearted approach to a hotly contested and prestige-generating segment truly defines the experience with the C63: you constantly feel like this could have been a great car.
What is he talking about? AMG's have been auto only for as long as I can remember. And what exactly dictates that they should go for every single variant possible like BMW with the M3? There's no C-class coupe and there's certainly no convertible C-class. Not yet anyway. Also, there's nothing half-hearted about the C63. AMG seems to have turned a page according to most reviews and from all angles, it seems they really have move in a new, fresher, younger direction. I find it refreshing that they haven't tried to make an M3 with another badge. It's still a Mercedes, still an AMG. And all the better for it.

I drove the C63 for two days, then re-read a number of reviews on the car. I figured there must be something wrong: they must have been driving a different car. The front seats in the C63 are epically uncomfortable yet no other review mentions this;......
No, they were driving the same car. They just knew how to adjust the seats. Dick.

I had no less than 15 random people try the seats, nobody found them pleasant to sit in.
And some dumb-a$$ friends. Perhaps you don't HAVE friends, which would explain the 15 'random' people.

if you are in 6th and want 2nd hear, just flip the paddle four times and most performance cars will shift directly from 6th to 2nd blipping the throttle only once in the process.
Do they really do this? I have no experience with these new 'boxes, but that seems a silly way to go. If you are in 6th when you can actually be in 2nd then doesn't that mean you gearbox has done something really silly? If you're entering a (slow) corner how do you know when that shift is going to happen - and when it does, wouldn't that bog you down like crazy? Skip one gear sometimes, may be, but 4? What if you've clicked it one time too many by mistake? Dunno, may be that _does_ work in practice...

And
all you have to do is hold down the down paddle and “the transmission will shift to the lowest gear available.”
wtf? how does one define 'available'? like, hold down the paddle and it automatically whops it in to a gear where the engine bangs away at redline?

What makes the transmission all the more infuriating is how the car handles. There is zero drama at speed. The electronic nanny reels in the fun at all the right moments and, should you tell the nanny to pack it in for the day, you can burn out and do doughnuts to your heart’s content.
How does that description of the esp actually bear any relation to how the transmission is infuriating?

It seems he'd be better satisfied with one of those woefully underpowered coupes as long as it has a nice interior - perhaps an Audi TT (normal version). Yes, the M3 has a better interior, but I certainly wouldn't say it's "light years" ahead. I think it's once again about your priorities. People put different values on different things, and I'm okay with that. What I certainly do not agree with are his comments which just seems to be a collection of random, unjustified complaints. Even the fact that he
see(s) what likes and dislikes other reviewers had, and then see if those same issues bother [him] at all.
Surely that's not particularly impartial? Particularly if he does this before the review (as seemingly implied)?

I know that there are equal amounts of +ve and -ve reviews of just about anything on the internet and no, I don't think the sun shines out of the C63's tailpipes. But seriously, this tripe on a website that calls itself "truth" about cars?

Last edited by x838nwy; 08-02-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
i can't believe you guys are even bothering with this crap. I know what the car can do and what the car is worth, and i absolutely adore it. I think the car is worth every penny and therefore i dont even bother reading this kind of crap, specially from a person that dont even own this car!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 02:00 PM

n/a
Originally Posted by tasho3
i can't believe you guys are even bothering with this crap. I know what the car can do and what the car is worth, and i absolutely adore it. I think the car is worth every penny and therefore i dont even bother reading this kind of crap, specially from a person that dont even own this car!!!
Well, I don't own a C63. Not yet anyway.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
[QUOTE=
Just one other note...we're only paying (or paid) about US$60,000 for an AMG, for crying out loud. What do people expect??[/QUOTE]

I could have not have said it any better!!! People think just because they are paying 60k they should get everything top notch. Its a 4 door sedan that can almost compete with supercars, and yet you are only paying 60k.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
You want to down shift from 7th to 2nd? Put it in auto mode, and floor it.

Done deal.

Only thing I agreed on, is it should come in a coupe. The regular C class should too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worst C63 review ever?