C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Tire question thread.. yay.. but with a twist.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Another Tire question thread.. yay.. but with a twist.

So I started looking into chains.. I checked the regional laws (will post those below). Has anyone ever used tire chains on their c63 with performance tires, if so, were there any clearance issues. Any recommended brands (I like the Thules, but they are extremely pricey, and have quite a profile), I would be worry about hitting bumps and chewing up the fender...

Background info if anyone wants more info...

I need tires.. I made it to about 8k miles on the current pzeros, but they are bald now..

So, I have to decide.. summer performance tires.. or all season tires (the wife kind of nixed the idea of 2 sets of tires and rims.. the look she gave me when I merely mentioned it said enough).

Like most of you.... I like to drive my car like I stole it (within legal limits, I am not nuts, but I do drive hard, and like to track it occasionally)

I doubt all seasons are very good for track time, at the same time, I live in the DC Metro area.. the snow sucks, and the MD/VA/DC authorities suck even more so at cleaning the mess up in a reasonable time.

Virginia Law
"Permissible when required for safety because of snow, ice or other conditions tending to cause a vehicle to slide or skid. Vehicles blocking traffic due to lack of tire chains may be fined.:

Maryland Law
In case of a declared snow emergency, chains will be required on certain designated highways. Studded snow tires are not allowed on vehicles having a registered gross weight of more than 10,000 pounds.

DC has no law

And other than NY and PA where I drive to somewhat regularly, I would not do so in winter (Delaware apparently bans chains/studded tires outright)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
For me personally, I wouldn't get chains or studded tires. For the winter I use the Vredestein wintrac extreme, then I would get hankook v12, ps2, nitto nt05...for summer. Skip the all seasons, although some on the forum here like to run 'em.

If you have a LSD, then that and winter tires should be more than enough.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do not have an LSD. However, like I said, 2 sets of tires is not really an option (although why I can spend $800 of tire chains.. and not a set of 4 tires.. I do not know.. I still have not figured out her mind yet...) These are the chains I am looking at. easy on and off, no extra hardware to remain mounted. Just use them when I need them. But around $400 a set (2 of them).

I guess I just don't want to have to deal with the extra cost of mounting/balancing and new TPMS sensors everytime.. which according to tire rack, and the local goodyear shops near my house, is $40 to $50 a wheel for the TPMS sensor (I know, its a rip off... )

Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
You could have gotten my set of snow tires and rims and TPMS for $800 but they are gone now and you're in the DC area which would have made things even easier.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I tried.. trust me.. I tried... The basic background is that my wife hates the car.. and while I do not have to run all my purchase by her.. largish ones I do, and anything related to the car just causes unneeded strife... I'm hoping she will eventually get over it..

It has something to do with spending alot of money on a used car that gets crap for gas mileage (of which I traded a hybrid in to get it....) She is just not a car person...
Old 08-30-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Women will never understand the bond between a man and his car. lol
As for the tire question goes, i would personally go for high performance summer tires to get the full potential of the C63. But if your looking for high tread wear, and snow tires, go for the all seasons.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
I also live in the DC Metro area and have been trying to look for a reasonable deal on a set of used rims/snow tires. After this previous harsh winter the thought of having to get around without snow tires is not fun to ponder. Last winter I used these:

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Compa.../dp/B000VAMSXG

Actually purchased them from Amazon (need to check the SCC fitment PDF on Amazon for the correct size based on tire size). While they are not the most convenient option, they certainly work and and price is right. At that price I already purchased another set to keep in my vehicle in case of an emergency.

My suggestion if you purchase them, put them on once in no snow so that you know how to ensure they are fitted tightly and correctly. Then, once it snows, you will know exactly how to fit them.

Fitting these chains is very easy, particularly if your car is not parked in snow before you put them on (i.e. you are parked in a garage prior to driving out in the snow). You do need to essentially lay down on your side to ensure the interior side of the cable is hooked up correctly.

Let me know if you have any other questions about these as I drove with them several times this past winter on my rear-wheel drive Crossfire. No they did not damage the rims.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

do they actually make chains to fit over 18s especially with 255 in the rear? i think that would be an issue wouldn't it that the chains won't be wide enough but maybe i'm mistaken.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Yes the SCC chains I posted the link to are extremely low profile and are made for low profile tires. Go to the link and click on the SCC Tire Sizing guide for the right part number.

I only had one set on my Crossfire (running them in the rear) on 19"s with 255mm width. They certainly will fit.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

heh... you admitted to owning a crossfire... (just kidding).

Thule make low profile ones, that fit 255/35 to 275/35... although at 275, that may result in wheel well damage when you hit a bump, clearance issues will be tight.

Centrax, made by RUD industries, which appear identical to the Thule ones (the pic I posted earlier, including the mounting mechanism) only list up to 265/45, but 255/35. This appears odd to me, as based on the specific model, I suspect RUD is the OEM manufacturer of the Thule ones based on the fact they look identical, and I do not believe Thule is an OEM for anything other then auto manufacturer branded roof rack accessories. The rud ones are also about $100 cheaper.. but then again, I am looking at fancy self centering and tensioning models. Standard chains like the SCC ones will fit fine.. and run about $50 a set.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
heh... you admitted to owning a crossfire... (just kidding).
The Crossfire was a good, albeit misunderstood, little car. I have no regrets! Besides the 3.2L MB spec engine in the Crossfire is what made me fall in love with MB!

I would definitely go with the SCC chains if you are planning to need them for urban/suburban travel from time to time when it snows. If you are planning on taking your vehicle up and down a mountain for a ski trip getaway I would suggest you invest in some good winter tires and maybe the Thule chains.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AAAARRRGGGGGGGG...

Seriously.. picking tires is more aggravating then picking out a new car..

Reading through the various tire threads sends you all over the place in brands and models... obviously there is some personnel preferences involved.. but still.. aggravating.

I might just settle on the Conti DWS's... and be done with it.. wonder how those will handle on a track (apparently no one reads the tire sub group on mbworld, so I will stick to posting here)... Or maybe just the straight up DW's and chains.. the DW's seems to rate fairly well.

Also.. can we not reuse the TPMS sensors, why MUST they be replaced?

Last edited by jvanbrecht; 09-03-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
You can actually drive the vredestein winter tires more out of season than you think. They're a great tire, you could probably run them for a good six months up in DC. I really would avoid chains. You should only have to change from summer to winter tires twice a year and you ought to be able to find a place that's not gonna screw you on the TPMS. I don't get charged for that at all and I've changed to drag radials, winter, summer tires at several different places.

I think you'll find that in weather in which you would really need chains, you probably won't drive anyway.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
AAAARRRGGGGGGGG...

Reading through the various tire threads sends you all over the place in brands and models... obviously there is some personnel preferences involved.. but still.. aggravating.

I might just settle on the Conti DWS's... and be done with it.. wonder how those will handle on a track (apparently no one reads the tire sub group on mbworld, so I will stick to posting here)... Or maybe just the straight up DW's and chains.. the DW's seems to rate fairly well.

+1
Old 09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AAAARRRGGGGGGGG...

The TPMS sensors are on the other side of the air pressure gauge for the tire. They can reused but paying someone to remount 4 tires twice a year can get expensive unless you have a friend at mercedes that will do it for you for a 12 pack of beer.