Sponsored by:

C63 ticking at the top...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 P31 Obsidian; 1990 ZX11
C63 ticking at the top...

I have a US spec 2010 w/P31. Picked up the car from Sindelfingen in June 2010 and finally brought it home by mid-August 2010. Took it easy during breakin, never exceeding 140kph during my drive to the north; and only blipped over 4500rpm a couple of times (nothing serious and certainly no kick downs). So I figure I was good to the engine and tranny for better than 1600kms. Present mileage is circa 3400kms.

When I started the car as normal this morning, from inside the cabin I heard a distinct ticking noise. Checked under the hood and without any scientific or mechanical analysis, the ticking seemed to come from the top side near the rear of the engine's manifold.

Checked the oil level, and noticed the level was right at the "add" (bottom) indicator. Plan to add 0W40 Mobil 1 as soon as possible; probably a quart to a quart and a half. If adding oil doesn't quiet the motor down, straight to the dealership in the morining. Could be a tough meeting since I bought the car from a German dealer representing MBUSA.

The ticking noise is real annoying since I know I've prctically babied this car thus far (wanted to do well until I could mod it up when nearing the end of the warranty period). So obviously, this incident was quite a shock. Hopefully, adding oil will remedy this issue.

Attached is a pic of the sig from my engine builder, just to compare and get some feedback. Anyone else have any similar problems or solid recommendations?

Nonetheless, I plan to post on this thread feedback from my dealership visit.

Many thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails C63 ticking at the top...-sig.jpg  
Old 09-19-2010, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
As long as it's not a loud knocking noise, it's normal. Our engine makes all kind of noise at cold start. Don't worry about it, go out & push her hard so you don't hear the ticking noise anymore, just the growl... hehehe!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Perfectly normal. Ticking is normal as are smells after hard drive and/or in warm weather. Adding more oil won't help from my experience. I had the same ticking sound after adding oil and with time it will be go away.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
It is likely a lifter ticking. The engine has hydraulic lifters and they can bleed down (lose oil) while sitting. It should pump up and go away after the engine is driven for awhile. I have heard of this happening to other C63s after they have been sitting for some time.

Be careful not to overfill the engine with oil.

Last edited by Mort; 09-19-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 AM

Ok, got it. Call me a bit paranoid, but I had driven the car everyday since mid-August and hadn't once heard this sound until this morning.

I know engines are prone to ticking, especially in performance types. It's just that this caught me off guard and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Just came back in from a brief ride and the tick was gone by the time I got back to the house. Still going to add a bit of lube, it needs to come up just a bit.

Thanks for the comebacks and the advisories.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I was like you very paranoid, when I heard this. Nothing to worry about, ticking is normal, as I have come across this phenomena in my E63. I did consult a AMG Master Tech, and he said that this is normal, especially on cold start up, as the oil hasn't made its journey to the lifters. Just don't rev it like crazy on start up, until the engine is warmed up. I haven't heard this on my C63 as yet, although I have 2200 miles on it already.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
I heard this ticking today after cold start--I pulled the car out of the garage after sitting for a few days.
It is really loud and I just detailed it so I won't drive it until the roads dry up a bit--hopefully this afternoon.
First time I heard it, I guess it's normal--I didn't let the car warm up to the normal 176F, but I never remember hearing this before--only got about 1300 miles!

Please tell me you've heard it and it's normal
Old 10-26-2010, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
The sounds is normal, just let the car idle for awhile to get the oil temperature up. If you do drive it when the engine is cold, don't get on it, until the oil is at normal temperature. I usually let it idle for 5 minutes, before leaving for work. And I typically don't rev it pass 4000 rpm while the engine it cold. I usually short shift it, until the oil is at temperature.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Next time it happens do a little test. Put the car in "N" and rev your engine slowly up and then back down to idle. It is best if you do this by asking someone to sit in the cabin and do it for you. If the ticking changes to a faster ticking noise when the engine is revved higher, than you might have an issue and would want to consult your local MB Tech. If not, you have nothing to worry about as it is not your engine and the car does tick on cold starts from time to time, weather you drive it or not.

P.S. Before revving or driving hard wait for the engine to warm up to it's normal level.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by black-clk500
I heard this ticking today after cold start--I pulled the car out of the garage after sitting for a few days.
It is really loud and I just detailed it so I won't drive it until the roads dry up a bit--hopefully this afternoon.
First time I heard it, I guess it's normal--I didn't let the car warm up to the normal 176F, but I never remember hearing this before--only got about 1300 miles!

Please tell me you've heard it and it's normal
Since I started this thread back in September, I have to mention I have not heard this ticking again. I had a few more miles than you at my first, and so far only, incident. I have taken it in stride as a normal anomoly and recommend not stressing over it. Suggestions from Yuille36 and Merc-Skycap are good litmus tests to determine if the ticking you're experiencing could be more serious; but I doubt that it is.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
The ticking noise normal, it goes away after some driving.
First time i ever started up the car i was getting these minor jolts here and there and some vibration, i asked my tech and he said its normal.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
Originally Posted by _AMG_
First time i ever started up the car i was getting these minor jolts here and there and some vibration, i asked my tech and he said its normal.
I seem to notice the same thing on mine. Some faint "jolts" or "quivers", seemingly random when the engine is cold. These "quivers" are gone once the car is up to normal operating temps. I was actually going to bring this up the next time I'm in for service. I might still do that but knowing that I'm not the only one with this "issue" is a bit more comforting.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
so I did drive the car this afternoon and after I came back home I let it run in the garge at idle and I didn't hear anything.
I will start it tomorrow and listen for it--I guess it's normal for this car.

So has anyone had any problems resulting from this ticking sound--I haven't read anything bad coming from it.
Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 PM

'10 C63 Steel Gray
I have had this problem since day one. I know, I shouldn't have bought the car, but the dealer swore it is a NORMAL sound. I don't think so, since I talked to other dealers and let them listen to the sound over the phone. Mine does become more frequent as I apply the accelerator. I have read every single post in MBWORLD and other forums and numerous solutions are listed. However, there are two opinions that seem to be shared among the most members:

1) The noise is coming from the Purge Valve and a simple replacement ($70) should fix it. Sometimes, it is just the metal bracket that holds the Purge Valve ($20) and needs to be replaced/tightened and that solved issues for others. Sometimes ME unit and the Charcoal Canister need to be replaced as well. It is up to the dealer whether or not to cover the charges since the noise is deemed NORMAL.

2) The noise is coming from the leaking lifters, as mentioned above. However, mine starts making noise when the car warms up past 195F for the oil temp, never when it is cold.

I had enough of this and made an appointment today with my dealer. Will see what happens. I will keep you guys posted.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Thanks, lets us know.

GL
Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM

'10 C63 Steel Gray
OK. VERY IMPORTANT news regarding ticking/clicking engine noise on C63’s. I just dropped off my car at the dealer. They said they will get back to me tomorrow with the results of the inspection, however, I was given preliminary assumptions that I would love to share! As posted by many and reflected in numerous YouTube videos, the loud ticking/clicking sound is NOT NORMAL, especially if the frequency of the sound increases in relation to the accelerator, i.e. the more you press the gas pedal, the faster is the noise. If the noise is somewhat loud and annoying but the frequency DOES NOT increase by applying the accelerator, than in most cases it is the purge valve issue and is very easily fixed by a $70 part replacement. If the noise is high pitch, very noticeable and the frequency DOES increase when pushing the accelerator, then most likely it is the LIFTERS! Now, the lifters themselves might be the issue, or it could be as bad as an OIL PUMP that must be replaced. Hopefully, your cars are still under warranty, since that repair is very costly. My car makes noise only when it warms up, as opposed to some of you that have that problem only at the start-up, when the car is cold or has been sitting in a garage for a while. The assumption that during start-up the lifters are not yet filled with oil and that’s why they make noise does not work. In my case, the issue is that not enough pressure is created to adequately distribute oil from the oil pump into the lifters, which can cause permanent engine damage!!! Please take you cars to the dealer and have them look at the lifters if you are experiencing similar symptoms. I will keep you guys updated, as I hear more from the dealer tomorrow. Best of luck!

Here is how mine sounds via You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nlTDoIP2Oo

Last edited by Boris_C63; 01-25-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Adding a link
Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM

'10 C63 Steel Gray
So the latest word is: after checking my car, yesterday, the dealer said it were the "CAMSHAFT ADJUSTERS" that were making the noise, NOT the lifters, and definitely NOT the purge valve, so they ordered the replacement parts and the warranty DOES cover it. If your engine sounds like mine, the ticking gets faster as you apply the accelerator and the noise does NOT go away after the car warms up (my case) just go get it checked. My noise is NOT there 100% of the time, though. It starts when the car warms up, then stops for a while, and then comes back on. Off and On for the last 9 months since brand new. All I know is that I should have brought it in sooner and never listen to the dealer in the first place. Good Luck!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by Boris_C63
So the latest word is: after checking my car, yesterday, the dealer said it were the "CAMSHAFT ADJUSTERS" that were making the noise, NOT the lifters, and definitely NOT the purge valve, so they ordered the replacement parts and the warranty DOES cover it. If your engine sounds like mine, the ticking gets faster as you apply the accelerator and the noise does NOT go away after the car warms up (my case) just go get it checked. My noise is NOT there 100% of the time, though. It starts when the car warms up, then stops for a while, and then comes back on. Off and On for the last 9 months since brand new. All I know is that I should have brought it in sooner and never listen to the dealer in the first place. Good Luck!
Got an engine oil low warning. Parked it and heard insanely loud ticking. Put about 1.5quarts of oil in it and it stopped. Stressing out a little bit. . . Glad it stopped but worried it'll reappear soon. . .
Old 11-04-2016, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
5yr 10mo bump. That has to be some sort of a new record. Congrats.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:07 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
For a prize can someone give me a new c63 ? One that doesn't tick please! Lol
Old 11-05-2016, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I saw 3 with the hot tick, when I was shopping for C63, it's common I guess. I wonder if the dealer replaced both sides, the pair, or only one. Also if those bushings that hold them in place are wear items.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by SuperFastYo
For a prize can someone give me a new c63 ? One that doesn't tick please! Lol
It is super common. Just do a search duuuuuuude. Hint: search for "lifter tick" (since your ticking went away I don't think it's cam adjusters)

These cars are particularly sensitive to oil level. Keep it topped up!

Last edited by BLKROKT; 11-05-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:11 AM

C63 AMG - LSD
It is super common. Just do a search duuuuuuude. Hint: search for "lifter tick" (since your ticking went away I don't think it's cam adjusters)

These cars are particularly sensitive to oil level. Keep it topped up!
Yea, read up on it, kinda panic posted haha. Keeping a 5liter jug of Motul in the trunk at all times. Just in case...
Old 11-06-2016, 08:17 AM

Can I get partial credit?
Old 11-26-2016, 09:55 AM

C63 AMG
If the ticking changes to faster ticking while being revved, what does that mean?
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
Next time it happens do a little test. Put the car in "N" and rev your engine slowly up and then back down to idle. It is best if you do this by asking someone to sit in the cabin and do it for you. If the ticking changes to a faster ticking noise when the engine is revved higher, than you might have an issue and would want to consult your local MB Tech. If not, you have nothing to worry about as it is not your engine and the car does tick on cold starts from time to time, weather you drive it or not.

P.S. Before revving or driving hard wait for the engine to warm up to it's normal level.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 ticking at the top...