Fluid MotorUnion C63 AMG Oil Cooler:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few
Fluid MotorUnion C63 AMG Oil Cooler:

So over the last month or so we have been testing some oil cooling alternatives for the C63 Oil Temperature issues that some of you may or may not have experienced so far.

Here is a little taste of what we have been working on, OEM fitment, stock location, stock mounts:

Test fit on a CLK63:

Now this is that exact same car with our Fluid MotorUnion oil cooler attached. We’re still testing on available cars to see if this application could apply to a broad spectrum of Mercedes vehicles. We’ve now confirmed that there at least two different Mercs on which the oil cooler will fit. Either way, here are some specs about our fabricated aluminum monster, compiled by Mike Eastway:

The FMU oil cooler has a 580% capacity increase over stock (~3 quarts)
The FMU oil cooler’s surface area is increased by 205% over stock.

Eastway ran a total of five test cycles. These cycles consisted of:

Idling until oil temperature stabilized.

Running the engine at 3000 rpm until the oil reached a temperature of 105 degrees Celsius.

Idling until the temperatures returned to initial start point, with 5 minutes of stabilization between test cycles.

These tests were performed inside with the hood open and a fan approximately one foot in front of the oil cooler.

Here are the graphs:

Here, the driving temperature was tested by driving normally (non-spirited) for 30 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of idling. You can see a marked decrease in oil temperature both while driving and idling afterwards when compared to the stock oil cooler.

Here, you can see that as the test cycles continued, the time it took to reach 105 degrees shortened with the stock oil cooler. With our aluminum oil cooler attached, each cycle actually increased the time it took to reach 105 degrees, thanks to the thermodynamic properties and specific heat of aluminum. The properties of aluminum are paramount in keeping temperatures down over longer periods of time, which won’t happen with the setup of the stock cooler.

Once again, the results are pretty predictable. The larger surface area and overall capacity of our oil cooler allowed the oil to reach a stable operating temperature in an almost perfectly consistent amount of time each cycle. As expected, the stock oil cooler continued to slow down its feeble attempt at cooling the oil after repeated cycles, eventually taking almost nine minutes (twice the time of the FMU cooler) to bring the oil down to a stable temperature.

Once again these are not the final images of the product, this is more or less a feeler to gauge interest by C63 Owners.

Keep your eyes peeled for more information as we continue to do more track and dyno testing of this setup and please feel free to e-mail mmarzano@fluidmotorunion.com for more details.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
I'm watching....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 CLS63 AMG
Hopefully this will fit a cls63!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:39 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Looks like a quality oil cooler! With an increased surface area in addition to the increased oil capacity, I'm sure it will perform better than the stock unit while driving. What I don't understand is why you show oil temperatures at idle? It will not change temperatures at idle for a simple fact: There is an oil temperature regulator located in the crank housing, which is operated by oil pressure. It remains closed at idle, and oil will only circulate within the block, not the cooler. Once rpm's go up, so does oil pressure and the regulator will open to allow oil going through the cooler.

However, your graph shows lower idle temperatures than stock. My only explanation for this is that you had the fan still blowing cool air onto the cooler and engine. In real world driving, if the car sits at idle, there is no airflow other than the thermostat activated radiator fan and the hood is closed. While I believe all your other statistics on the graph, the lower idle temperatures don't make sense to me.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Subscribing. Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Nice work FMU!!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
Originally Posted by SMP
Looks like a quality oil cooler! With an increased surface area in addition to the increased oil capacity, I'm sure it will perform better than the stock unit while driving. What I don't understand is why you show oil temperatures at idle? It will not change temperatures at idle for a simple fact: There is an oil temperature regulator located in the crank housing, which is operated by oil pressure. It remains closed at idle, and oil will only circulate within the block, not the cooler. Once rpm's go up, so does oil pressure and the regulator will open to allow oil going through the cooler.

However, your graph shows lower idle temperatures than stock. My only explanation for this is that you had the fan still blowing cool air onto the cooler and engine. In real world driving, if the car sits at idle, there is no airflow other than the thermostat activated radiator fan and the hood is closed. While I believe all your other statistics on the graph, the lower idle temperatures don't make sense to me.
Actually, the driving/idle graph was conducted under different circumstances. To measure that, the driving temperature was gathered by a 30-minute, non-spirited drive (both stock and FMU coolers were used, the route unchanged between the two different runs). After the drive, the engine was left to cool down at idle for 30 minutes, not in front of the fan.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
Please keep us updated. If you need a C63 guinea pig I'm listening.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
How does this affect coolant temps?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 PM

2010 C63
Looks like these tests were done on a W211 E63 - is that correct? Do they have an second oil cooler like the C63? What is the increase in surface area and oil storage when the C63's second oil cooler (with dedicated fan) is included?

And do you have upgraded power steering or transmission coolers?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 PM

C63
Wow this is great news. Thanks for sharing this info. I am all in for cooling mods. I will be waiting for more info...
Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Doesn't the C63 have an additional oil cooler on the front passenger side as well?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
Looks like these tests were done on a W211 E63 - is that correct? Do they have an second oil cooler like the C63? What is the increase in surface area and oil storage when the C63's second oil cooler (with dedicated fan) is included?

And do you have upgraded power steering or transmission coolers?
They weren't done on a W211 E63. They were conducted on a W209 CLK63.

They do have a second oil cooler, like the C63. The increased surface area and oil storage, in terms of numbers, remains the same, since the incorporation of surface area+storage of the second cooler doesn't change.

In terms of percentages, obviously the number will drop a bit when you include the second oil cooler, but needless to say there is still a large increase in both overall surface area and overall capacity.

We do not have upgraded power steering or transmission coolers. We are always open to new ideas, though

Originally Posted by Sincity
How does this affect coolant temps?
We don't have specific numbers for that at this moment, as we were focused solely on the oil temperatures when testing. We'll return here with any rough numbers if they happen to be in the project notes.

Originally Posted by 1Lop2K5C
Doesn't the C63 have an additional oil cooler on the front passenger side as well?
Yes it does. We only fabbed up a replacement for the primary oil cooler in front of the radiator, however. Perhaps that's another project to undertake!

Last edited by FluidMotorUnion; 09-24-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63
what are we lookin at price wise?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
I am interested. I hit 130c consistently at the track yesterday. Car went into the dealer for an oil change straight away after the track session.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 PM

2009 c63, 2011 GT500
Originally Posted by bmontalban
+1
Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 PM

M5, C63, 335Ci
+1 as well. (Nice looking product too!)

I'd also be very interested in a larger/more efficient trans cooler to keep the trans behaving better during track days.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 76 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Question

How about a tranny cooler? Any plans to solve what is a real problem for some of the track guys?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

A few
Originally Posted by alqamzi
+1
Originally Posted by qship5
+1 as well. (Nice looking product too!)

I'd also be very interested in a larger/more efficient trans cooler to keep the trans behaving better during track days.
Thanks for the kind words guys, pricing is still undecided. Would love to hear everyones input on price to help us decide what the retail will be!

Originally Posted by benyl
I am interested. I hit 130c consistently at the track yesterday. Car went into the dealer for an oil change straight away after the track session.
Sounds like you need one!!!!

Originally Posted by Case1906
How about a tranny cooler? Any plans to solve what is a real problem for some of the track guys?
As far as a tranny cooler, keep your eyes peeled after official release of the oil cooler!

Thanks again guys, we'll have more details posted shortly!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by FluidMotorUnion
Thanks for the kind words guys, pricing is still undecided. Would love to hear everyones input on price to help us decide what the retail will be!

$0,000.99

... Sorry.. could not resist Thats what my current budget would be... stupid mold/rotten insulation/drywall problem eating up my budget..
Old 09-27-2010, 09:21 PM

´08 C63 631 rwhp
+1
Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
I would strongly suggest that you consider pricing based upon similar products that have been developed for other cars. Bear in mind your R&D investment and resist the urge to impose the MB tariff that so many vendors require. I read about the project BMW that you guys have been working on and it is very impressive. This may not be as large of an ownership group but many are willing to do meaningful upgrades if reasonably priced.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Originally Posted by hhughes1
I would strongly suggest that you consider pricing based upon similar products that have been developed for other cars. Bear in mind your R&D investment and resist the urge to impose the MB tariff that so many vendors require. I read about the project BMW that you guys have been working on and it is very impressive. This may not be as large of an ownership group but many are willing to do meaningful upgrades if reasonably priced.
Well said and I agree 100%.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:32 PM

M5, C63, 335Ci
Originally Posted by superlubricity
Well said and I agree 100%.
100% agree...Price it fairly and you will sell far more that some of the people that try to recoup their entire R&D investment on the first few sales.

Overall I think the product looks great and offers meaninful real world benefits to those of us that drive our cars the way the engineers designed them to be used.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55,S500,C200 KOMP,SV300 ,LANDCRUISER SAHARA
Wow !!! Great work FMU,great data sheets as well !!!

regards sonny

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fluid MotorUnion C63 AMG Oil Cooler: