C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you get the c63 over the m3 or ctsV?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moped
Why did you get the c63 over the m3 or ctsV?

Test drove all three, m3 was in last place with the other two duking it out for first.

Please try to keep this as unbiased as possible.

But it would also help if you chimed in with what car you came from before the c63.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I test drove the M3. I liked the looks/exhaust note/torque of the C63 better. Both cars are close. As my daily driver the C63 is fun as hell. I never even considered the Cadillac.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Ultima GTR
Mercedes treated me like a person, BMW didn't even let me test drive the M3...and I went there THREE times and waited like an idiot.

(Btw, I was 22 at the time)
Old 10-05-2010, 07:11 PM

C63
I came from owning back to back RS4's and have driven every car in the same class except the Cadi.

As a DD the C63 is hard to beat. Gobs of power and torque everywhere in the rev range, nice MMI, great seats, ridiculous exhaust note, and just enough flash without being overly done. The M3, while also a great car, just seems a little too common and track focused to be as good a DD. If I was tracking it I would go M3 (or a 997 P-Car) but I'm not so I'm in a C63.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Moped
I feel as if I had a fast car and I was looking for an additional car I would of liked the m3 more, but the c63 is hard to beat as an all around car.

I wasnt even considering the cadi, but went on a test drive for ****s and giggles.

Boy was I impressed.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
M3: Never an option for me, because I like torque too much. And I wasn't interested in adding F/I.

CTS-V: Definitely considered it. I wasn't fully in love with the looks (exterior body), although, whenever I see one on the road, I always think they look very aggressive and easily distinguishable from regular CTS's.

I love the LSA engine, but I didn't want a 1.9L blower on what is very close to an LS3 engine. I acknowedge that 1.9L blowers on LS3 type engines are extremely efficient in the low end, but they certainly have their limits.

Repeated WOT runs generate higher IAT's than would be seen in larger 2.3L, 2.8L, and higher blower applications on the same engine. Also, even though you can make very high hp with the LSA, it again has lower power limits than the same engine with a larger blower.

My previous car: I had a 2010 Camaro SS (automatic trans, so L99 engine). It had a Kenne Bell 2.8Ltwin screw. Motor was stock, but was planning on adding forged internals to safely up the power.

At the time when I was shopping blowers, I was considering the 1.9L top mounts, but for my taste I wanted something that allowed for room to grow and something that would give me lower IAT's.

I was speaking with several top LS tuners at the time who were telling me some of the results they were seeing between the 1.9L and 2.3 or 2.8L blowers.

Many will say there are no discernable differences in IAT's between 1.9L and 2.8 but I was told different and I trusted those opinions.

So, basically for me, I didn't want another GM F/I vehicle, at this point.

Having said all of this, I will say that I really think I would love to own a CTS-V. I know the power, especially with a pulley swap, air intake, and tune would be enough for me. But power is strange. Just when you think you have enough, you want more.

C63: It impresses me so much. I think the navigation functions very slow, but what are you going to do? The exhaust sounds better to me than the blown camaro I had. And I actually love the transmission/torque converter, although I wish it shifted a bit faster. The car is just fun to drive and it's built in a special way that enables it to go faster and be quicker than typically expected.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 10-05-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 PM

'05 C55
M3: lack or torque and overall bland and disappointing looks steered me away.

CTS-V: great platform especially for upgrades and I almost purchased one, I just could not get past the appearance of the car. I really think Cadillac could have done a better job with differentiating it from other CTS's. The grille is just horrible.

I've weighed all similar cars in the same price bracket twice and both times ended up with a C63 (2008 and now 2010). This is my 8th AMG car and still feel they put together the best overall package for a daily driver.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Ive driven the M3 and its not my cup of tea. I was really considering getting th CTS-V, but stuck with the C63 instead. I would wanna test drive the CTS, But i wouldnt trade the C63 for it. Im set on AMG for life.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
My options where between a 10k mile 2010 M5, new M3, c63 and Panamara 4S. It came down to the M5 and c63 for me. I loved the feel of the c63 better, it felt more pointed. and better through the rpm torque, the M5 almost felt like it was a turbo. lazy on the low RPM's and then all hell broke loose. I actually like the manual mode in the c63 over the box in the M5. M3 was just to much work. It felt like i had to drive it hard to wake it up/ I mean when it got going it was amazing, same as the M5. c63 it was more purposeful. Loved the Panamerra actually, loved the 4wheel drive but it's a big long car with only 4 seats so no deal.

I use to race in the modified saloons way back with a M1 and M5. Then moved to Porsche's.. I never in my life thought i would own a mercedes before i turned 65

I actually took the wife and kid by the mercedes dealer as a "joke" - I was trying to justify the m5 to show what a superior car it was.
My wive tested it first and said: "It feels like it wants to go the whole time. I mean i dont think it will be happy driving slowly, will " - that's my girl ... 1.25 hours later we drove home in it trading in the GTS porsche..
I even bought the c63 without knowing i could get a 70hp bump safely out of it. After adding the brabus b63s kit. whoohaa is all i can say.

Anyway..I could go on for hours but i am already out of 4 cents..

Last edited by sighting; 10-06-2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling :)
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 AM

Moped
Great reviews so far.

I have to agree with all you, which is werid. The CTSv has everything going for it except its looks. Which honestly in the end of the day, is the most important part.

Im 95% im going with the c63, yes the ctsv's interior, handling and bolt on success(traping 129) is tempting but the c63 is just a perfect package.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:55 AM

2009 C63 AMG
This has been the decision I've been struggling with off and on for the last couple of months. Along the way, I drove and pondered each of the major cars in the weight class (c63 AMG, M3, RS4, CTSv). Lots of late nights and early morning before work looking over specs, reading forums, and comparing each of them.

I test drove car each car a couple of months ago and on the first day, eliminated the CTSv, primarily because of external and internal style. A couple days later, I eliminated the RS4 because while I do enjoy the all-wheel nature of the beast, its heavy and didn't have the torque or exhaust of either the M3 or the C63 AMG.

Work called and I had to back burner the debate between the C63 AMG and the M3 until last week. I test drove each again (2011) models to re-accustom myself to each. I've wanted the M3 since I was a kid. However, every time I drove the C63 AMG, I found myself wanting to drive it more; hear the engine note, sit in the amazing and customizable bucket seats, and the roar of the blazing acceleration and torque. As it stands right now, I'll be getting a C63 at the end of 2010, unless the BMW dealerships are willing to give me a crazy low offer.

Just my .02
Old 10-06-2010, 01:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by Roy Biggens
This has been the decision I've been struggling with off and on for the last couple of months. Along the way, I drove and pondered each of the major cars in the weight class (c63 AMG, M3, RS4, CTSv). Lots of late nights and early morning before work looking over specs, reading forums, and comparing each of them.

I test drove car each car a couple of months ago and on the first day, eliminated the CTSv, primarily because of external and internal style. A couple days later, I eliminated the RS4 because while I do enjoy the all-wheel nature of the beast, its heavy and didn't have the torque or exhaust of either the M3 or the C63 AMG.

Work called and I had to back burner the debate between the C63 AMG and the M3 until last week. I test drove each again (2011) models to re-accustom myself to each. I've wanted the M3 since I was a kid. However, every time I drove the C63 AMG, I found myself wanting to drive it more; hear the engine note, sit in the amazing and customizable bucket seats, and the roar of the blazing acceleration and torque. As it stands right now, I'll be getting a C63 at the end of 2010, unless the BMW dealerships are willing to give me a crazy low offer.

Just my .02

hahaha you said "unless the BMW dealerships are willing to give me a crazy low offer"

guess you getting a c63.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I'll be the lone dissenter amongst this bunch.. and state I actually like the looks of the CTS-V, the tail lights however (as with every single led based cadi tail light cluster on every single model)... drives me and my wife nuts and is is completely blinding. It really really bothers my wife driving behind any Cadi.. that alone would have killed any option of owning one.

I went with the C63, well because I was looking for it, and I found a CPO'd one at the right price. The M3 was never really an option, as the only one I wanted was the convertible one, and even used, 09 model years and up were almost $15k more then the c63, out of my price range. Also.. I hate the exhaust.. in fact, I hate all cars that shove the exhaust tail pipes in the middle of the rear bumper (corvette, boxster, some of the other Porsche's)... The M3 ones were just too close together...
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 AM

09 C63
Personaly i never drove the m3 or the ctsv, but i did look in to both when i was buy my car. I was coming from an audi A5 so i wanted a car that wasnt just going to look like every other car on the road. Know that I think about all 3 cars are very simmaler to there lesser more tam base models. The M3 was way to close to my bros 335xi the interior looks identical to any 3 series on the market offered in the past ten years. there is also more M's in my town already then there should be(E46 manly). Then I was never able to find a CTSV with in 100 mils of my location. The CTSV was my dream car like 8 years ago, but I was never able to see the car in person and the regular CTS i saw was to much of an "old person" car as my girlfriend so nicely put it because she didn't want me to get the caddy. If i seen one in person there is a good chance I would have gotten that over my C. When I want to the Benz dealer my C was sitting right in the show room and I must say it was love at first sight lol. I did buy it that day with out a test drive or anything. The car was just stunning and I never seen a one so I wanted it.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Heh.. I also bought mine without a test drive..
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM

2010 c63,09 CaymanS,08 VW Touaregv10tdi,99vette hardtop,Triumph1050Tiger,Kaw,klr 650
My last car was a BMW 135 with all the bolt ons except meth. I loved the TQ the little car had. I wanted a bit more room and considered an M3. The M3 would be great on the track but I have a Cayman S thats big fun at the track..so more room and big tq everywhere and a sound thats hard to beat...C63 for me.

Oh, and my wife said she would divorce me if I bought the caddy,I did test drive the ctsv and I liked it. I love the c63 and its just perfect as far as bling goes....not too hot or too cold..lol
Old 10-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
I just don't like the BMW image that pretty much says "I'm better than everyone else". All young, arrogant lawyer douches drive BMWs and are so proud of it, that couldn't be farther from me and from who I am. On the other side, the young entrepreneurs/dads like me drive C63s. Not for show, just for the driving pleasure.

Plus the M3 was priced at 71 000$ while the C63 was priced at 63 500$, done deal...
Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by chief63
I just don't like the BMW image that pretty much says "I'm better than everyone else". All young, arrogant lawyer douches drive BMWs and are so proud of it, that couldn't be farther from me and from who I am. On the other side, the young entrepreneurs/dads like me drive C63s. Not for show, just for the driving pleasure.
BINGO--I agree 100%
Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM

08 335xi, 11 C63 P31

Plus the M3 was priced at 71 000$ while the C63 was priced at 63 500$, done deal...
Hey! I'm a young arrogant corporate douche with a BMW. But that phase has come to an end, so my C63 is on order from Merc in Laval. How's the winter driving?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by AlexCim
Mercedes treated me like a person, BMW didn't even let me test drive the M3...and I went there THREE times and waited like an idiot.

I agree, MB always came out with a bang and caught my attention. BMW however did not come to me at all while I was looking at the M3's, until my second visit. Did not even think about the Caddies, I don't know why but I do not like how they look.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Heh.. I also bought mine without a test drive..
I also ordered mine without test driving. The one I saw on the showroom was beautiful but it wasn't the color for me (Pal Silver), since I wanted the P31 with red calipers. Mars Red it was and checked every box available. Once you go over 80 grand, why not add a little more?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by black-clk500
BINGO--I agree 100%
+1
Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM

CLK 500(Gone), C63 FTW!
Originally Posted by AlexCim

Same experience here...Until I drop my friend off with my C63 then they started to offer my some test drive...too late...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
The C63 is $65,500 after the manditory Gas Guzzler tax that I don't think you have to pay on the M3. You don't have to pay it on the IS-F either.

Back on topic:
I have a 335 that is faster with boost controller (JB+) in the straightline than a stock M3 at Calgary's altitude. I saw no point in getting a slower car that is far more expensive. I track maybe 2-3 times a year, so the handling advantage of the M3 doesn't play out on the street. Torque does... haha

I went into a GM dealership to look at the Caddy. I waited 20 minutes and no one came to talk to me. That wrote off the CTS-V for me. The IS-F was never considered as the motor is maxed out. Adding exhaust loses power... haha. RS-4 isn't available in Canada.

I also ordered it without a test drive.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bad Audi/Porsche dealership in Tysons Corner VA, did Audi in for me. It was HBL (they also sell MB and a few other brands). Long before buying my MB, when I was looking to replace my Jetta 1.8t, I was looking at A3's and A4's (the A5 was not in the US yet). Went into HBL after work (so business casual), looking at the A3 the sales guy (who I had to hunt down), looked at me, and said something to the effect of I could not afford one of the cars.. and walked off...

I ended up with a Hybrid Toyota camry (talk about a boring car that cost more then an almost loaded A4)

That left a sour taste in my mouth with regards to MB, Porsche and Audi.. for 4 years. The MB folks in Annapolis MD more then made up for it though with this recent C63 purchase, went out of their way for me (even though I was not originally financing through them, but my own credit union, and told them up front that the car might be a financial stretch) and never wrote me off as a dead beat customer...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why did you get the c63 over the m3 or ctsV?