C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any of you in socal know any alternate routes to ACH?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Any of you in socal know any alternate routes to ACH?

Pretty much what the title says. I want to stretch the cars legs out, but im tired of going to Malibu canyon (too short), San Gabriel Canyon (too far from my house) and GMR (Awesome road, but too far). Angele's Crest Highway is not too far from where i live and is my favorite driving road but the only problem is that its Closed from La Canada due to storm damage repair. I have been wanting to take the 63 up there for a very long time but cant find any alternate routes to get there.
Can any of you tell me an alternate way to get there?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
You could pick it up off the 210 and head east from there...that's a great drive. But, it takes a LONG time.
IMO the best drive in all of SoCal is Palomar Mtn. I use to live in North County San Diego and did that drive all the time and it never got old. Now, I go down there every once in a while and make a trip out of it. Down the 15, head east out the 76 thru Pala (maybe hit the tables), up one side of Palomar mtn, down the other, back onto 76 to the 79 East and hit Julian then back n the 78 west thru Ramona, around LAke Hodges and back to the coast for a night at the 4 Seasons round of golf the next morning and then bck up the 5 to LA Sunday evening after dinner at Red Tractons.
It's a kick *** weekend with a fun car
Old 10-20-2010, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by LZH
You could pick it up off the 210 and head east from there...that's a great drive. But, it takes a LONG time.
IMO the best drive in all of SoCal is Palomar Mtn. I use to live in North County San Diego and did that drive all the time and it never got old. Now, I go down there every once in a while and make a trip out of it. Down the 15, head east out the 76 thru Pala (maybe hit the tables), up one side of Palomar mtn, down the other, back onto 76 to the 79 East and hit Julian then back n the 78 west thru Ramona, around LAke Hodges and back to the coast for a night at the 4 Seasons round of golf the next morning and then bck up the 5 to LA Sunday evening after dinner at Red Tractons.
It's a kick *** weekend with a fun car
I usually take the 2 north to the 210 east (like you said) and take the Angeles Crest exit, make a left and just go straight up. but right before you actually get to hit the mountain pass there is a "road closed" sign. I have heard there is a way to get there through Sunland but dont know exactly how.

I have heard great things about Palomar Mtn. and also Mesa Grande rd. Ive always wanted to drive through there.
Must be an even more kick *** weekend when you have a CLK black series to roll with, haha.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
GMR is like a 25 minute drive from where Angeles Crest is though, why not just go there?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:05 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Mesa Grande road is just off the 79 between Julian and Lake Henshaw...Driven it many times an it's amazing. For me, Palomar Mtn is the best. The elevation changes are pretty amazing.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Here's an alternative way to reach the Crest.
  • Take 210 east past #2, to Sunland and make a right.
  • Sunland turns into Foothill - keep straight on Foothill away from the 210.
  • Make a left on Oro Vista Ave. Oro Vista is about 3/4 mile from the freeway.
  • Oro Vista turns into Big Tujunga Canyon Road.
  • Big Tujunga dead ends into Angeles Forest Highway.
Now you have a choice.
  1. Make a right. Angeles Forest Highway dead ends at Angeles Crest.
    or
  2. Make a left on Angeles Forest Highway, follow that to Upper Big Tujunga and make a right. Upper Big Tujunga dead ends at Angeles Crest.
A word to the wise - I had a friend go off roading in his Rx7 up there. He was behind us, so it took a while to figure out where his car left the road.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Arthur3E92
GMR is like a 25 minute drive from where Angeles Crest is though, why not just go there?
Its pretty much closer to my house, and ive been wanting to drive up there for months, drove there a week before the station fires happened and havet been up there ever since. Only way i know how to get up there is through La Canada, but that route is blocked.

GMR is epic!! Ive been up there a couple of times, and its amazing. I usually drive up Azusa Canyon, turn right on east fork rd. and head down GMR. It truly is one of the best driving roads ive ever been.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by MarcusF
Here's an alternative way to reach the Crest.
  • Take 210 east past #2, to Sunland and make a right.
  • Sunland turns into Foothill - keep straight on Foothill away from the 210.
  • Make a left on Oro Vista Ave. Oro Vista is about 3/4 mile from the freeway.
  • Oro Vista turns into Big Tujunga Canyon Road.
  • Big Tujunga dead ends into Angeles Forest Highway.
Now you have a choice.
  1. Make a right. Angeles Forest Highway dead ends at Angeles Crest.
    or
  2. Make a left on Angeles Forest Highway, follow that to Upper Big Tujunga and make a right. Upper Big Tujunga dead ends at Angeles Crest.
A word to the wise - I had a friend go off roading in his Rx7 up there. He was behind us, so it took a while to figure out where his car left the road.

Thank you soo much for the directions i really appreciate it...
Hopefully this rain ends soon.

Wow that is a terrible sight.
I hope your friend made it out OK. How did this happen??
Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by LZH
Mesa Grande road is just off the 79 between Julian and Lake Henshaw...Driven it many times an it's amazing. For me, Palomar Mtn is the best. The elevation changes are pretty amazing.
I definitely would wanna check out Palomar Mtn.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Some great info in here...thx!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Thank you soo much for the directions i really appreciate it...
Hopefully this rain ends soon.

Wow that is a terrible sight.
I hope your friend made it out OK. How did this happen??
He made it out OK. The roof stayed intact so he just bounced around a bit - no head injuries. We were on a canyon run with 40 or so cars in two groups, and he just lost it, skidded off the road, and came to a stop upside down.

This was a long time ago, about 2003. He became the butt of A LOT of jokes for a while. His photos were famous. Notice the mismatch tires? If I'm not mistaken, they're directional and mounted in the wrong direction.
Attached Thumbnails Any of you in socal know any alternate routes to ACH?-11.jpg   Any of you in socal know any alternate routes to ACH?-34-small-.jpg   Any of you in socal know any alternate routes to ACH?-18.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
He made it out OK. The roof stayed intact so he just bounced around a bit - no head injuries. We were on a canyon run with 40 or so cars in two groups, and he just lost it, skidded off the road, and came to a stop upside down.

This was a long time ago, about 2003. He became the butt of A LOT of jokes for a while. His photos were famous. Notice the mismatch tires? If I'm not mistaken, they're directional and mounted in the wrong direction.
As long as no one got hurt, that is the important thing.
Were is tires worn out when he went out to the canyons?
Seeing things like this always make me extra cautious.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK430
The tires had plenty of tread. At triple digit speeds on public roads, things can go wrong in a hurry.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
The tires had plenty of tread. At triple digit speeds on public roads, things can go wrong in a hurry.
100+ mph is insane on Angeles Crest let alone any canyon road.
Its swarmed with CHP now so i don't see alot of people really pushing it up there anymore.