1/8 mile results from last night, nothing crazy, just baselines for me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
1/8 mile results from last night, nothing crazy, just baselines for me

Decided to go to the track last night. It's an 1/8 mile track at Irwindale, CA.

I want to start getting some baselines with my car.

The track was really busy last night, so only got 3 runs in.

The weather was pretty good. It was about 67-71* F, a little over 30% humidity, and DA was approximately 750 ft about sea level.

I have Hankook evo v12 265's on the back. And my car has no LSD. My car was using 91 octane Chevron (about 2/3's of a tank). I forgot to add that I have BMC filters, no carbon filters, and ROW box tops.

The first run was my best. Overall, I cut two 1.9x 60' times.

I ran the first and third runs in Sport (and then held left - paddle down one click to drop in that other mode). Second run was in regular Sport.

I was surprised how good my car hooked on street tires on the first run, especially. If I would have just nailed the gas on that run, my 60' would have been lower, but I was peddeling the throttle a little slower than I needed to because I was anticipating some wheel spin.

On my second run, it was aweful, the car wheel hoped more than I would like. The car didn't really hook up until the wheel hop stopped.

Third run, my car seemed to cut power at the very top of 1st gear, shifting into 2nd. But then it revived itself and continued on, finishing the run like normal.

This morning, I started my car and it sounded like there was some knocking or a thumping sound under my dash. My tank was almost empty. So I turned off my car. Restarted it and it went away. Then I went and got some 100 octane and mixed it with the 91, and my car is running great.

I will work on my launch and get some DR's. Also, I will cut over 100 lbs of weight down the road. Lightweight hood from Dad's Performance, Evosport rotors, remove spare tire and tools, car manuals, carpets, less gas in the tank, and my two heavy brief cases.

It was a fun night. Btw, I wasn't trying to focus on my R/T. I know they were bad.

All of my runs or on the right side of the slips.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 10-29-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Way to get some baseline runs.

Drag radials are a necessity if you want to run some
great numbers.

Are you getting the FRP or Carbon Fiber hood from Dad's?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Thanks!

Yeah, it was just a fun night out. I went solo, so I ended up talking to some cool folks.

Definitely need some DR's.

I haven't decided yet which material I want for Dads hood. But, I should know within the next few days.

Btw, a big congratulations is in order for your new PB. Great job!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Thanks!

Yeah, it was just a fun night out. I went solo, so I ended up talking to some cool folks.

Definitely need some DR's.

I haven't decided yet which material I want for Dads hood. But, I should know within the next few days.

Btw, a big congratulations is in order for your new PB. Great job!

The track can be addicting. When I first purchased the car my plan
was to get a tune and some drag radials and maybe a few cosmetic
mods and thats it.

Now i have headers and mids on the way and by next spring I'm
strongly considering a 3500 stall torque converter.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C 63 AMG ( 204), JCW Mini Cooper ( autocross )
!st time ? Very good for 1st 3 runs. I lost my virginity just last weekend. Did you alter your tire pressure? Most drag threads swear by 20 rear, 45-50 front which I found I screwed up using a cheap gauge. ( I borrowed a good one to re- set for the drive back and found . I was running 35 rear and 50 front! ). My 1st 3 practice runs were a joke. I would either red light or my rt was so slow it could have been timed with a sundial, and the wheel spin was like driving on ice. Watching for the light count and trying limit wheel spin was really difficult. ( I can't chew gum and walk either ). Then I made a great discovery for timing the xmas tree. Frustrated with my rt's I got behind the start and watched a lot the pros start. For some reason I counted 1 2 3 in my head at my normal pace and found it was dead on the 3 amber lights. Next run when I saw the 1st amber I just looked down the track, counted off, and launched at 3. W/o staring at the lights I was able to focus much better. My last 3 rt's were .35, .32, and .13. not great but a huge improvement. I never got a handle on wheel spin. Consistency was key here ( this was bracket racing) so I stuck with S. for 8.4, 8.5, 8.5. damn good considering crazy wheel spin and lousy 600 ft time at 2.0, 2.1, and 2.1. How can I get control of wheel spin? I don't understand what you did with the paddle in your 1st & 3rd run. ? I feel that I could run almost a full sec faster if I could master the run in M with the paddles, maybe short shift 1st, but it would take A LOT of practice. Per bracket racing rules I was almost dead last. No biggie, I just wanted to work on besting my times so I went away very happy, setting the fastest time in the street category. It's a blast isn't it ? My 2012 is dead stock and I was certain I'd leave it that way. Now I'm lusting for some light wheels and d o t slicks, and who knows what else. My old girl was also the only dead stock car in street. You have a lot of time to gain by mastering your RTs. Try watching a lot of pro starts from behind the line. If my trick doesn't work you still get a good feel for their launch timing per the lights. Jeeze, those 4 sec cars seem to defy physics, like something from a sling shot.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:52 PM

PS Here's something to shoot for

http://fastestlaps.com/models/merced...rmance-package

We had a long run out so on one run I held it down to 100 to establish my 0-100, 9 flat. pretty quick but room for improvement.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:12 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by wilburfierce
PS Here's something to shoot for

http://fastestlaps.com/models/merced...rmance-package

We had a long run out so on one run I held it down to 100 to establish my 0-100, 9 flat. pretty quick but room for improvement.

Man, I SOOOOOO appreciate this....I have literally just cried laughing my *** off.

First, your long post is so hard to read/follow mixed with ample doses of what I can only assume to be schizophrenia....

Second, this thread is going on SEVEN YEARS OLD!!!! The last response before yours is from October 2010....

.....this has LITERALLY made my night!!!!
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (04-16-2017)
Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 AM

I noticed the date, couldn't resist. I'm amazed you saw it

all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

George Bernard Shaw