C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help car won't pass inspection showing in "not ready" mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Need help car won't pass inspection showing in "not ready" mode?

I did some searching but not sure I found what I'm looking for. I bought a CPO'd 09 C63 last week car had 22k miles on it. During the CPO process the dealer disconnected the battery causing the car to be in some not ready mode. This caused it to fail Mass state inspection.

Dealer told me to drive it for a week come back and it would reset itself. So I did, put about 500 miles on it all sorts of driving, city, highway, even some drag strip runs.

Went back yesterday and car is still in "not ready" mode and failed inspection again.

So is there some sort of drive procedure I need to follow? Dealer was clueless (no real surprise) they offered to keep the car and figure something out, but I wanted the car for the weekend.

I might have to leave it with them so they can sort this out but am trying to avoid that.

Any ideas guys?
Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C63
does the readout from the test say which one. get that then search for odb II drive cycle. usually you can reset within 15 minutes or so. but there is a big list of specific conditions you have to meet to get the code back to ready. sorta like being a maintenance test pilot. some of them need a cold start.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
sadly I don't have the print out and they didn't tell me which one was in not ready status.

I've just found an OBDII drive cycle reset and it's damn long and looks like a PITA. I'll give it a go if I can't get it to go ready I'll leave it at the dealer next Saturday. sux.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
takes more

than 15 minutes to complete drive cycles and most need to be repeated 2 times in succession.Do you have a scanner?Do you have the i/m monitors list that are not ready i.e. secondary air cat o2 evap etc.
obd2 scanner $70 at harborfreight tools
If this solution is coming out of your pocket knowing when it is ready and what i/m status are not ready the scanner will pay for itself, quickly.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I can get access to a scanner but no I don't know what is showing as not ready. Yeah the drive cycles I've seen are all pretty involved and take longer than 15min or at least look too. None of this is coming out of my pocket in fact selling dealer has offered to pay for next service because of the PITA this has become.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
easy

go to the i/m section on the scanner.Usually evap not ready is the last to set.
run it post the not ready and I can hopefully give you a quick solution.
Why did they disconnect the battery in the first place any bozo knows that doing that automatically sets all the monitors to not ready and you fail the smog test
you might scan for pending obd2 codes while you have the scanner
Old 10-31-2010, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by ohlord
go to the i/m section on the scanner.Usually evap not ready is the last to set.
run it post the not ready and I can hopefully give you a quick solution.
Why did they disconnect the battery in the first place any bozo knows that doing that automatically sets all the monitors to not ready and you fail the smog test
you might scan for pending obd2 codes while you have the scanner

Thank you. I'll give it a look over the next couple of days.

Yes I agree, they shouldn't have disconnected the battery but it's Herb Chambers if anyone knows HC it's understandable.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
haha--welcome to Massachusetts and thanks for the heads up at Herb Chambers service--that's where I bought my car (Natick)--I guess I'll look elsewhere for service!

go to Westwood, they serviced my CLK for the last five years--I guess my C63 will have to go their too--too bad HC in Boston is a AMG Performance Center--I guess it's all marketing--congrats on the C63!