Stock air boxes for 63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by dodger63
The bolt holes were widened and the header was massaged not dented near the steering column.. I would bet that with the header tune from kleemen that the results tomorrow will be better! Let's all just see..

Yes, no reason to speculate about the power loss without the dyno with the new tune.

You should Dyno with the Airbox mod intact first though and then with the stock to compare.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Yea I'm going to meet Albert there see if we can do a few runs with both boxes and I removed the carbiono from my car to try that to!!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The modifications made to Albert's header were very small. The nut on the steering column was touching the header at certain angles when the steering wheel is turned. I put a small dimple in the downpipe to make clearance for the nut that was touching slightly when the engine was torqued under heavy acceleration at certain steering angles. The dimple that was put in the downpipe was very minimal. There is a lot of misinformation out there in regards to this header install. I would definitely rule out any install issue related to a modification made to the headers. I do not think that the dimple was more than 2mm deep, it is very slight just to add a little clearance for the steering column nut.

It is hard for me to comment on any of the dyno charts because I was not there and do not really know the actual details of what the settings were on that particular dyno. The torque graph was very unstable but supposedly the smoothing was set on the dyno. If it was set I would not have expected to see a torque curve like that. Cory may suspect that the car was experiencing some detonation and also dumped a little fuel while pulling a lot of timing as evidenced by the torque curve but, like I said, I cannot and am not trying to state anything in regards to that, I was not present and I have never used that particular dyno but from what the sheet shows that makes a lot of sense.

The dyno that Albert is going to tomorrow is one that I use for my customers quite often and a lot of Benz's have been tested on that dyno. As a matter of fact, Albert had his car on this dyno after receiving his tune but before doing his header mod and the car made 405 horsepower. So we do have a dyno sheet on this dyno's computer that we can use to overlay a new graph from the old set up to get some kind of comparison. Obviously there was a big difference between the 405 horsepower pull and the 424 horsepower pull (I believe that was the number) between the two dynos with no changes to the car. Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to compare two runs and, at that point, I would suspect may be a smart time to look into Albert's car for any further problems that it may have.

I think it is kind of premature to continue guessing what problems the car may have and it is silly to not wait until the car has been tested with a Kleemann tune. Kleemann is confident enough, that the headers cannot lose this horsepower, to tune Albert's ECU and offer a full refund if it does not alleviate his problem. Albert also was fortunate enough to receive a free set of Kleemann headers to test fit them on his car to make sure that they fit well on the 212 chassis. At $2795.00 for Kleemann headers that Albert was originally gonna pay had they made a set specifically for his car, that is a gracious gesture from Cory.

As a Kleemann dealer I cannot say enough about the service that Kleemann offers its customers and its dealers. I have been happy with the products that they offer and they provide me with a great product to offer my customers that i can confidently sell and know that my customer has a quality product on there car that will not result in any premature or unwanted failures.

Albert is always asking me questions and for ideas to calm his nerves as he asks the forum members as well, sometimes it is best to take things one step at a time and to follow a procedure when diagnosing and modifying certain aspects of your car. I have only used an engine dyno to tune my race car engine and other than that I rely on the drag strip to test any changes that I have made to my cars. My ultimate goal is to go quicker and faster and I find the best way to do that is to test what I do at the drag strip.

I am confident that Albert's header installation is not the culprit for a loss as significant as he is experiencing, I am very well aware of many header installs from Kleemann that have shown significant gains in horsepower on other chassis 63 vehicles and Albert's car should be no exception. Albert, don't worry so much about this, we know your car is now running at a different air fuel ratio and your car is very safely tuned, get some sleep tonight, don't let this stress you so much, tomorrow is your first dyno day since your new Kleemann software has been installed, I think you are in good hands. Let's see what changes happen and we can go from there, it is the best advice I can give you.

It is good that the forum knows what goes on so that members can learn from these things but it is important that certain things are done in certain ways when diagnosing these problems. For people to say that the headers are leaking, and the dyno shop told Albert that the gasket in the header downpipe may be installed backwards and is blocking the airflow just leads to ridiculous conclusions sometimes. A header leak is an easy problem to diagnose and one that we check for before any car leaves our shop that just had headers installed. As for the gasket problem the way that Mercedes Benz built the exhaust prevents any type of problem like that from existing.

I hope that problems like these lead to all of us improving upon our own vehicles, that is what it's all about.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Sorry for the long response, figured I would try and address everything in one shot.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Yea I'm going to meet Albert there see if we can do a few runs with both boxes and I removed the carbiono from my car to try that to!!
Id would be interested to see the Airbox mod Dyno compare in your car as well dodger! Post up the results as soon as you get them.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:37 PM

E63 AMG 2010, Black, Pano, P2
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
The modifications made to Albert's header were very small. The nut on the steering column was touching the header at certain angles when the steering wheel is turned. I put a small dimple in the downpipe to make clearance for the nut that was touching slightly when the engine was torqued under heavy acceleration at certain steering angles. The dimple that was put in the downpipe was very minimal. There is a lot of misinformation out there in regards to this header install. I would definitely rule out any install issue related to a modification made to the headers. I do not think that the dimple was more than 2mm deep, it is very slight just to add a little clearance for the steering column nut.

It is hard for me to comment on any of the dyno charts because I was not there and do not really know the actual details of what the settings were on that particular dyno. The torque graph was very unstable but supposedly the smoothing was set on the dyno. If it was set I would not have expected to see a torque curve like that. Cory may suspect that the car was experiencing some detonation and also dumped a little fuel while pulling a lot of timing as evidenced by the torque curve but, like I said, I cannot and am not trying to state anything in regards to that, I was not present and I have never used that particular dyno but from what the sheet shows that makes a lot of sense.

The dyno that Albert is going to tomorrow is one that I use for my customers quite often and a lot of Benz's have been tested on that dyno. As a matter of fact, Albert had his car on this dyno after receiving his tune but before doing his header mod and the car made 405 horsepower. So we do have a dyno sheet on this dyno's computer that we can use to overlay a new graph from the old set up to get some kind of comparison. Obviously there was a big difference between the 405 horsepower pull and the 424 horsepower pull (I believe that was the number) between the two dynos with no changes to the car. Hopefully tomorrow we will be able to compare two runs and, at that point, I would suspect may be a smart time to look into Albert's car for any further problems that it may have.

I think it is kind of premature to continue guessing what problems the car may have and it is silly to not wait until the car has been tested with a Kleemann tune. Kleemann is confident enough, that the headers cannot lose this horsepower, to tune Albert's ECU and offer a full refund if it does not alleviate his problem. Albert also was fortunate enough to receive a free set of Kleemann headers to test fit them on his car to make sure that they fit well on the 212 chassis. At $2795.00 for Kleemann headers that Albert was originally gonna pay had they made a set specifically for his car, that is a gracious gesture from Cory.

As a Kleemann dealer I cannot say enough about the service that Kleemann offers its customers and its dealers. I have been happy with the products that they offer and they provide me with a great product to offer my customers that i can confidently sell and know that my customer has a quality product on there car that will not result in any premature or unwanted failures.

Albert is always asking me questions and for ideas to calm his nerves as he asks the forum members as well, sometimes it is best to take things one step at a time and to follow a procedure when diagnosing and modifying certain aspects of your car. I have only used an engine dyno to tune my race car engine and other than that I rely on the drag strip to test any changes that I have made to my cars. My ultimate goal is to go quicker and faster and I find the best way to do that is to test what I do at the drag strip.

I am confident that Albert's header installation is not the culprit for a loss as significant as he is experiencing, I am very well aware of many header installs from Kleemann that have shown significant gains in horsepower on other chassis 63 vehicles and Albert's car should be no exception. Albert, don't worry so much about this, we know your car is now running at a different air fuel ratio and your car is very safely tuned, get some sleep tonight, don't let this stress you so much, tomorrow is your first dyno day since your new Kleemann software has been installed, I think you are in good hands. Let's see what changes happen and we can go from there, it is the best advice I can give you.

It is good that the forum knows what goes on so that members can learn from these things but it is important that certain things are done in certain ways when diagnosing these problems. For people to say that the headers are leaking, and the dyno shop told Albert that the gasket in the header downpipe may be installed backwards and is blocking the airflow just leads to ridiculous conclusions sometimes. A header leak is an easy problem to diagnose and one that we check for before any car leaves our shop that just had headers installed. As for the gasket problem the way that Mercedes Benz built the exhaust prevents any type of problem like that from existing.

I hope that problems like these lead to all of us improving upon our own vehicles, that is what it's all about.
Craig, thanks for the response. I am taking your advise and going to get some sleep.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by propain
Id would be interested to see the Airbox mod Dyno compare in your car as well dodger! Post up the results as soon as you get them.
Sorry I think dynos are like measuring your d--k.. The length doesn't matter it's the way it works in real life??

I will not dyno my car ever!!! Sorry
Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Sorry I think dynos are like measuring your d--k.. The length doesn't matter it's the way it works in real life??

+1.... Nowadays with the computer controlling the engine power and having to deal with (and respond to) thousands of variables, results and data obtained on the dyno may not equate to results and data obtained on the road. Unfortunately (and like many others), this have kept me up at night scratching my head trying to figure out what happened

Last edited by MB_Forever; 11-30-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
+1.... Nowadays with the computer controlling the engine power and having to deal with a thousands of variables, results and data you get on the dyno may not equate to results and data on the road. Unfortunately (and like many others), this have kept me up at night scratching my head trying to figure out what happened
#s are numbers.. Get a time today improve it tomorrow.. Then you no wear you are in life! You can't race a tuned gtr and think your going to win cause you dyno at 500hp to many variables! Corvette can dyno at 800hp to translate that to the ground??? They might as well be stock!! Idk meet me at the track and we can compare your mods other then that I'll have another grey goose and soda please!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:46 AM

2009 C63 AMG
I will have my stock airboxes up for sale when I get the ROW version next week.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB

Great post! The parts I bolded sum everything up to me.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
+1.... Nowadays with the computer controlling the engine power and having to deal with a thousands of variables, results and data you get on the dyno may not equate to results and data on the road. Unfortunately (and like many others), this have kept me up at night scratching my head trying to figure out what happened
QFT.

This is a very important point. I know dyno owners and operators will say dynos are great and often times they are, but when you consider the very valid point that you raised, it's just becoming more accepted that dynos are not gospel and often become counter-productive (not sure if supposed to hyphenate that word) to many of our performance aims.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
QFT.

This is a very important point. I know dyno owners and operators will say dynos are great and often times they are, but when you consider the very valid point that you raised, it's just becoming more accepted that dynos are not gospel and often become counter-productive (not sure if supposed to hyphenate that word) to many of our performance aims.
Haha.. I probably spell everyother word wrong.. And my phone corrects allot of them!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
i willl ad my 2c to this thread. Stock i made 270rwkw (12.6 @ 112mph), tune i made 325rwkw (12.2 @ 115.5mph), with car graphic exhaust 305rwkw (11.9 @ 119mph best of 121mph). My dyno numbers are all over the shop, but with more mods ive gone quicker and quicker. hope it helps

h.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig

Oh how the world has changed...

In my opinion Dyno numbers are still very much a part of tuning a car. Yes you may not get the results you think you will get based on the numbers your seeing on the Dyno, but seeing how your car is performing and where the power is coming on and dropping off and tweaking from there is an integral part of tuning a car.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Oh how the world has changed...

In my opinion Dyno numbers are still very much a part of tuning a car. Yes you may not get the results you think you will get based on the numbers your seeing on the Dyno, but seeing how your car is performing and where the power is coming on and dropping off and tweaking from there is an integral part of tuning a car.
What about using PerformanceBox by VBox as an alternative to dyno? is that good tool to use to measure 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-130?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by AlbertM
What about using PerformanceBox by VBox as an alternative to dyno? is that good tool to use to measure 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-130?
Honestly these guys are mostly right. Get it to the track and see what she does.

I like looking at results on the Dyno, But as my man Bruce from TTM says real world conditions can change everything.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I would definitely rule out any install issue related to a modification made to the headers. I do not think that the dimple was more than 2mm deep, it is very slight just to add a little clearance for the steering column nut.
I personally don't see a "2mm dimple" causing this much of a decrease in power, but given that Jeremy @ OE Tuning has tuned way too many cars like this in the past, I'm more inclined to say that it was not the tune. And if it was not the tune, then either there exists a defect in the header or the installation process went wrong. Is it possible you can post some pictures of what you did to the headers?

No offense to you Craig, but this situation is one reason why I prefer to have one shop do all the modifications on my car, as it prevents more variables being added to the equation such as having multiple hands touching it. Didn't Albert initially have these mods installed at TTMotorsports? How did you or RPI come into the picture?

Albert, don't worry about this.... I'm sure we'll eventually figure it out. How did the dyno testing go today?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Results were not good today?!!! Gotta be the headers aren't producing the said 40hp or so oe tune only and kleemen tune and header produced about the same
Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM

Results were not good today?!!! Gotta be the headers aren't producing the said 40hp or so oe tune only and kleemen tune and header produced about the same
Yep, results were disappointing. The most we made on the dynojet at NRG racing is 395 SAE corrected. I will be posting dyno graphs shortly.

All the mods (other than airbox mod done by TTM) were done at RPM North.
The car configuration was: K2 (K1+Kleemann headers), stock air boxes (dodger63 let me borrow his set), charcoals delete, K&N filters.

We did 5th and 4th gear runs, 4th gear runs produced better results, but eventually 5th and 4th gear pulls produced around 395RWHP SAE. We did about 6 pulls altogether.

So the verdict is: Kleemann headers made no measurable power gain on W212 and on one occasion actually showed a power loss (~10-15hp) based on a previous dyno. Updating the ECU from OEtune to Kleemann made no difference at all, changing out modded airboxes to stock did not yeld any power gains either.

All in all, disappointing and confusing. I am thinking about going back to stock at this point. All the time and money spent for nothing.
Attached Thumbnails Stock air boxes for 63-albert-e63-dyno.jpg  

Last edited by AlbertM; 11-30-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
FWIW, I didn't have a good experience with a K1 tune and was about 20whp less than a few other folks that had the K1. To prove the point on the track that was indicated on the dyno, I ran a 12.55 stock vs 12.45 w/K1, both w/ DRs. So I think a good dyno can be a good predictor of track times. What u can't duplicate on the dyno though is airflow and some tunes seem to work better at the track.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Yep, results were disappointing. The most we made on the dynojet at NRG racing is 395 SAE corrected. I will be posting dyno graphs shortly.

All the mods (other than airbox mod done by TTM) were done at RPM North.
The car configuration was: K2 (K1+Kleemann headers), stock air boxes (dodger63 let me borrow his set), charcoals delete, K&N filters.

We did 5th and 4th gear runs, 4th gear runs produced better results, but eventually 5th and 4th gear pulls produced around 395RWHP SAE. We did about 6 pulls altogether.

So the verdict is: Kleemann headers made no measurable power gain on W212 and on one occasion actually showed a power loss (~10-15hp) based on a previous dyno. Updating the ECU from OEtune to Kleemann made no difference at all, changing out modded airboxes to stock did not yeld any power gains either.

All in all, disappointing and confusing. I am thinking about going back to stock at this point. All the time and money spent for nothing.

Im sorry it didnt work out Albert.

RPM is gonna give you a refund and get you back to your stock exhaust though so get the OE file back on and go from there.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM

Im sorry it didnt work out Albert.

RPM is gonna give you a refund and get you back to your stock exhaust though so get the OE file back on and go from there.
I think that is what I am going to do, put back the stock manifolds back and be done with it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I think that is what I am going to do, put back the stock manifolds back and be done with it.
Albert, this may sound crazy but why not go with long-tubes? With a good set of long-tube headers and a tune, you should see 40 to 50 rwhp. The car will breathe better in high-speed runs and probably so will you
Old 11-30-2010, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Albert, this may sound crazy but why not go with long-tubes? With a good set of long-tube headers and a tune, you should see 40 to 50 rwhp. The car will breathe better in high-speed runs and probably so will you
That was my suggestion? Its definatly not a great fit!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock air boxes for 63