Sponsored by:

AMG Driving Academy 2011

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Question AMG Driving Academy 2011

I am considering going to AMG Driving Academy next year and wanted to ask the members who have been there already a few questions:

1. It seems that there is no way to skip the Basic program and go right to the Advanced. Is the Basic going be interesting to a person who already has basic performance driving skills? Is there any excitement or the whole thing is just a class session followed by slow cruising around the track as on this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8jrnVayTc

2. Which of the three locations the best? Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca or Lime Rock? It seems that Road Atlanta is the longest track of the three.

3. What is the best local hotel to stay in?

4. Do they use the same factory seats in their cars? I am 6'4" and afraid I might not fit in the smaller cars when wearing a helmet.

5. Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Capri Blue
Originally Posted by andrey_clk55
I am considering going to AMG Driving Academy next year and wanted to ask the members who have been there already a few questions:

1. It seems that there is no way to skip the Basic program and go right to the Advanced. Is the Basic going be interesting to a person who already has basic performance driving skills? Is there any excitement or the whole thing is just a class session followed by slow cruising around the track as on this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8jrnVayTc

2. Which of the three locations the best? Road Atlanta, Laguna Seca or Lime Rock? It seems that Road Atlanta is the longest track of the three.

4. Do they use the same factory seats in their cars? I am 6'4" and afraid I might not fit in the smaller cars when wearing a helmet.

Thanks!
1) The Basic class is still entertaining for those who have some track time under their belt. You DO have some car control skill tests like emergency braking, slalom, skidpad and trail braking. You will have some time on the track running at about 7/10ths (this varies according to your own skill) on average. I'm not sure if its a pre-req. for Advanced.

2) RA is my home track, so sort of biased there.

3) They will recommend a hotel.

4) Yes

5) I'm relatively fast on the track, and I think there are still things to learn in the Basic class. That being said, I would have preferred more time on the full track (I understand having to limit time based on car availability).
Old 12-29-2010, 12:56 PM

sls, e63
road atlanta is outstanding. if that is your choice definitely stay at chateau elan. don't know if beginner is prerequisite for advanced. if you get in advanced your limits are basically set by yourself- instructors are very encouraging of you advancing your skills. you will definitely be uncomfortable in sls with helmet, though it is an extrordinary car. good luck.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450

Thanks!
1. I do not believe that Basic is required for taking Advanced but you should be aware that the expectation is that you will have some experience and be able to keep up with the group. Nothing worse than getting the frowns from your group as you slow things up. In one of my classes we had 2 Russian woman who were clearly should not have been at advanced class level and they held the group up very badly to the point that they were split off and given to another instructor to handle so the others in group could develop their driving techniques by pushing it.

2. I would say Laguna Seca or RA. Depends where you live and which is closer. LS fills up very quickly

3. The Academy will recommend hotels and usually is able to get decent rates based on group buy. You can contact them on this. If going to RA I would stay at Chateau Elan - this is where I am staying when I come over for event in April.

4. They use the factory seats in all the cars. As russjr states the SLS is a pain with helmets and very snug. At your height you will need some time to adjust seat position to be somewhat comfortable.

5. Just enjoy yourself and have fun. They are great events.

Dave
Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Guys, thanks for your replies!

According to the website: "Advanced is offered to drivers who have completed either Basic, AMG Challenge, European Driving Academy program or equivalent courses." I am not sure if they enforce this requirement though.

Do you guys think I should sign up for Advanced? I am not a Russian women and know a bit how to drive an AMG! What do they teach in Basisc except emergency braking, slalom, skidpad and trail braking?

As to my height, it is really a concern since I am uncomfortable in my C63 with the seat lowered all the way down and no helmet. It would really suck to pay, fly all the way there and not being able to drive any of the cars except E63 and maybe CLK63 BS (my CLK55 had a bit more room than my C63.)

As to the location, I was inclined to choose RA from the very beginning and you guys just affirmed my choice.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Guys, thanks for your replies!

According to the website: "Advanced is offered to drivers who have completed either Basic, AMG Challenge, European Driving Academy program or equivalent courses." I am not sure if they enforce this requirement though.

Do you guys think I should sign up for Advanced? I am not a Russian women and know a bit how to drive an AMG! What do they teach in Basisc except emergency braking, slalom, skidpad and trail braking?

As to my height, it is really a concern since I am uncomfortable in my C63 with the seat lowered all the way down and no helmet. It would really suck to pay, fly all the way there and not being able to drive any of the cars except E63 and maybe CLK63 BS (my CLK55 had a bit more room than my C63.)

As to the location, I was inclined to choose RA from the very beginning and you guys just affirmed my choice.
I have not seen them enforce the requirements for Advanced per say in Europe, but they may do so in US. On the height issue, I think you should be ok. I have seen lots of tall guys in the course and they have managed to get into the cars with the helmets on. Just as FYI, the whole course is not done with helmet, just portions of it such as the full lap sections. The SLS will be a tight fit no matter what based on its low profile but you should be ok.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
At Mont Tremblant, at the MB Drivers School, I got in several cars after a tall driver (6'2" - 6'3" at a guess) and the driver's seat was positioned quite far back, if not all the way and tilted enough to take a nap.

The helmet does reduce the head room in a hurry and I even bumped my head a few times but I did not hear any complaints from the taller guys. They all managed somehow.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:09 AM

2002 C32 (gone), 2009 C63 K1
Posting in case people had missed the AMG Driving Academy dates. Driver training is my #1 favorite mod, and if you haven't done an event like these (auto-x, road race, HPDE etc) I highly recommend checking it out! I'm confirmed for PRO 4/9-11 @ Road Atlanta.

More info at www.AMGAcademy.com.

Schedule for the AMG Driving Academy:

Road Atlanta, GA
March –
· 14 BASIC
· 15 BASIC
· 16 BASIC
April –
· 1 BASIC
· 2 BASIC (PRIVATE LOUNGE ONLY)
· 3-4 ADVANCED
· 5 BASIC
· 7 BASIC
· 8 BASIC
· 9-11 PRO

Lime Rock, CT
May
· 12 BASIC
· 13 BASIC (PRIVATE LOUNGE ONLY)
· 14 BASIC
· 16-17 ADVANCED
· 18 BASIC
June
· 14 BASIC
· 15 BASIC
· 16 BASIC

Laguna Seca, CA
September
· 23 BASIC
· 24 BASIC (PRIVATE LOUNGE ONLY)
· 25-26 ADVANCED (PRIVATE LOUNGE ONLY)
· 26 BASIC

November
· 8 BASIC
· 9 BASIC
· 10-12 PRO

October
· 6 BASIC
· 7 BASIC
· 8 BASIC
· 9 BASIC
· 19 BASIC
· 20 BASIC
· 21 BASIC
· 22 BASIC
· 23-24 ADVANCED

December
· 2 BASIC
· 3 BASIC
· 4 BASIC
· 5 BASIC
· 6 BASIC
· 7 BASIC
Old 03-05-2011, 11:14 AM

2021 Taycan Turbo, 2018 Radical SR3, 2021 Lincoln Aviator
I'm 6' and I must say that in a regular driving position and helmet on, I am pretty much flush with the head room on the C63.

That being said,if you are taller it's going to be tougher. Keep in mind your arms should be on the steering weel and slightly bent. Also you should be able to turn the steering wheel completely touching both arms. If you are really tall the seating position is going to be bad. If the SLS has less head room, that's a big problem...
Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 AM

C63 AMG Coupe P31
Nice info, thanks gmullin. I have been strongly considering taking AMG up on there classes at Laguna Seca. Its just hard for me to plan that far head but that schedule you provided helps alot.

Has anyone here taken the course? Is it helpful, or is it just a reason to go tear *** in someone elses car
Old 03-05-2011, 04:07 PM

CLK Black
Guys, This thread is great. I started another one on here as well about the Academy a day or two ago about being able to attend for free if you just bought a car.

Did you all see that you can get a 20% discount on the AMG Private Lounge days just by being a member?

20% saves you like $300 on the course.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...ad.php?t=27092
Old 03-05-2011, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by gmullin
Posting in case people had missed the AMG Driving Academy dates. Driver training is my #1 favorite mod, and if you haven't done an event like these (auto-x, road race, HPDE etc) I highly recommend checking it out! I'm confirmed for PRO 4/9-11 @ Road Atlanta.

More info at www.AMGAcademy.com.

Schedule for the AMG Driving Academy:

Road Atlanta, GA
March –
· 14 BASIC
· 15 BASIC
· 16 BASIC
April –
· 1 BASIC
· 2 BASIC (PRIVATE LOUNGE ONLY)
· 3-4 ADVANCED
· 5 BASIC
· 7 BASIC
· 8 BASIC
· 9-11 PRO

Lime Rock, CT
May
· 12 BASIC
· 13 BASIC (PRIVATE LOUNGE ONLY)
· 14 BASIC
· 16-17 ADVANCED
· 18 BASIC
June
· 14 BASIC
· 15 BASIC
· 16 BASIC

Laguna Seca, CA
September
· 23 BASIC
· 24 BASIC (PRIVATE LOUNGE ONLY)
· 25-26 ADVANCED (PRIVATE LOUNGE ONLY)
· 26 BASIC

November
· 8 BASIC
· 9 BASIC
· 10-12 PRO

October
· 6 BASIC
· 7 BASIC
· 8 BASIC
· 9 BASIC
· 19 BASIC
· 20 BASIC
· 21 BASIC
· 22 BASIC
· 23-24 ADVANCED

December
· 2 BASIC
· 3 BASIC
· 4 BASIC
· 5 BASIC
· 6 BASIC
· 7 BASIC
See you at the Pro event in Atlanta
Old 03-09-2011, 08:27 AM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
Originally Posted by AMG Dictator

Did you all see that you can get a 20% discount on the AMG Private Lounge days just by being a member?

20% saves you like $300 on the course.

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...ad.php?t=27092
For all of the other days, you can use discount code #ADASB which will get you 15% off the regular price. (I got the code from Skip Barber BTW).
Old 05-07-2011, 05:12 PM

MB / BMW
There is a prerequisite.

http://www.amgacademy.com/#sub=amg&s...basic1&lang=en

Then click on FAQ