C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Independent oil test...Was not expecting this outcome.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Independent oil test...Was not expecting this outcome.

I found an Independent oil test on 6speedonline. And Royal Purple oil came out on top. I think Im going to try some 10w-40 in my car.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Lemme know what you guys think.

Last edited by _AMG_; 01-04-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 P31
Wow, there is a HUGE difference between the performance of Mobil 1 and Royal Purple! I don't feel good about Mobil 1 anymore . Wonder if 10w40 will work in our engines.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:29 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by vmx128
Wow, there is a HUGE difference between the performance of Mobil 1 and Royal Purple! I don't feel good about Mobil 1 anymore . Wonder if 10w40 will work in our engines.
They have 0w40 and 5w40 as well, but it is not approved by MB and I am not sure if this test is not biased.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
I used to use it in all my past turbo cars. Loved the stuff

But then again they were pretty highly modded and I changed the oil every 1500-2000 miles, so I'm sure anything synthetic would have done the job. They were expensive engines so I didn't want to risk anything.

With the AMG I just have them use Mobile 1.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Where's Glyn!!!!!!

In the meantime, let me rip into this article myself. Apparently, this article (and testing) was so bad that the original website pulled it, and published a follow up admitting to how bad the testing was.

NOTHING in this article proves anything about engine oil and how it performs within an engine. Engine parts don't undergo the type of loads that this test performed plain and simple. Furthermore, engine oils are designed to work at operating temperature, not necessarily room temperature. What about shear qualities? What about how the oil performs with the chemistry/operating temperatures of a particular engine? What about longevity?

If you're swayed by this article, by all means, go ahead and switch oils. Keep in mind though, there is no reason why MB or AMG would tell you to pour anything less than the best for your particular engine inside of it.

Last edited by e1000; 01-04-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by e1000
Keep in mind though, there is no reason why MB or AMG would tell you to pour anything less than the best for your particular engine inside of it.
Disagree with your statement there. Of course there are reasons for them to select/recommend oils other than the absolute best-performing option. What if "the best" oil is 3x as expensive as other "good enough" oils? Think MB/AMG would still recommend "the best?"

MB/AMG approves of many motor oils - from what I understand, it's because those oil manufacturers pay MB/AMG to be tested and, if requirements are met, added to their "approved oils" list for the particular certification level passed. And, to get that little sticker inside the car, as well as being the factory fill provider, I'm sure Mobil pays more to MB/AMG than any other manufacturer. Is Mobil 1 bad? No. Is it good enough? In my opinion, yes. Is it the "best" oil? Probably not.

I would rephrase your comment as "change oils if you want, but keep in mind that there's no reason MB/AMG would recommend an oil that doesn't at least meet all of their minimum requirements for performance - so going to a better-but-more-expensive oil is likely just throwing away money."

My $0.02.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:31 AM

coupe
I also think that it has to do with politics, I mean MB endorses Mobil and by that they get certain amount of business because thats whats used in the car. If other oils are better then you think MB would also endorse them. I have heard for a while that Mobil has not been keeping up, I used mobil 1 in my 2000 turbo T/a and never had any issues
Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
FWIF I use royal purple in my 55 and it seems to love it.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Mercedes C63
Here in my city in sweden at MB they use Castrol SLX PRO LONG in C63.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Disagree with your statement there. Of course there are reasons for them to select/recommend oils other than the absolute best-performing option. What if "the best" oil is 3x as expensive as other "good enough" oils? Think MB/AMG would still recommend "the best?"

MB/AMG approves of many motor oils - from what I understand, it's because those oil manufacturers pay MB/AMG to be tested and, if requirements are met, added to their "approved oils" list for the particular certification level passed. And, to get that little sticker inside the car, as well as being the factory fill provider, I'm sure Mobil pays more to MB/AMG than any other manufacturer. Is Mobil 1 bad? No. Is it good enough? In my opinion, yes. Is it the "best" oil? Probably not.

I would rephrase your comment as "change oils if you want, but keep in mind that there's no reason MB/AMG would recommend an oil that doesn't at least meet all of their minimum requirements for performance - so going to a better-but-more-expensive oil is likely just throwing away money."

My $0.02.
I disagree. Yes it's true that oil companies must pay to have MB certify it's oils, we've seen that it's certainly possible given the number of oils that are approved for the different spec MB oil standards. Again, with modern engines, there are so many things to consider when it comes to engine oils I personally feel it's a pretty good idea to keep to MB specs.

I think we can all agree however, the article is garbage and the testing useless.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
All MB and AMG powerplants are developed and tested using Mobil 1 motor oil and I am almost positive Porsche as well.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Based on some things I've read in the BITOG forums RP is somewhat controversial for its add pack. I'd probably stay away from it not because it's not potentially a good oil in some applications but because IMO why take a chance on an oil that is not MB-approved when there are so many other really good oils that ARE approved? Personally, if/when I change from Mobil 1 I'd try one of the Motuls or the Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 European Formula.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I disagree. Yes it's true that oil companies must pay to have MB certify it's oils, we've seen that it's certainly possible given the number of oils that are approved for the different spec MB oil standards. Again, with modern engines, there are so many things to consider when it comes to engine oils I personally feel it's a pretty good idea to keep to MB specs.

I think we can all agree however, the article is garbage and the testing useless.
Can you elaborate as to why this test is "garbage"?
Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 GLK 350, 2013 GT-R, & 2013 RAM 1500
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Can you elaborate as to why this test is "garbage"?
see post #5 and linked follow-up article.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
yup, that test is useless.

Mobil 1 is not the best oil out there, but what makes you think your engine needs the best?

if you use even a decent synthetic, treat the engine properly, and change the oil regularly, you are just fine.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:01 PM

2009 C63 with Eurocharged tune and charcoal delete
What if "the best" oil is 3x as expensive as other "good enough" oils? Think MB/AMG would still recommend "the best?"
Abso-freaking-lutely they would. Have you checked the parts prices for AMG cars recently? This is the company that charges you $350.00 to replace a foglight lens. I think MB/AMG would be perfectly happy to charge $1000.00 for an oil change using Royal Purple Hyper-Space Warp 9000 Unobtanium technology if they could convince customers it was THE BEST OIL IN THE UNIVERSE. No doubt, as others have mentioned, Mobil 1 pays them an endorsement fee and gives them a good deal on the factory fill oil in return for that pretty little sticker under your hood, and it's probably good enough oil for the average customer.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by Palladin
Abso-freaking-lutely they would. Have you checked the parts prices for AMG cars recently? This is the company that charges you $350.00 to replace a foglight lens. I think MB/AMG would be perfectly happy to charge $1000.00 for an oil change using Royal Purple Hyper-Space Warp 9000 Unobtanium technology if they could convince customers it was THE BEST OIL IN THE UNIVERSE. No doubt, as others have mentioned, Mobil 1 pays them an endorsement fee and gives them a good deal on the factory fill oil in return for that pretty little sticker under your hood, and it's probably good enough oil for the average customer.
I would disagree here again, I think that, as previously mentioned, MB has plenty of incentive to keep oil change prices low for its consumers and for the company itself on warranty work. I think that your argument would make more sense if MB recommended "only the best of the best" oil for its exotic level cars (for example, the SLR) where the high price of oil comes with the territory. However, with as big as Mercedes is and with as wide array of vehicles as Mercedes has, it is more efficient and economical for MB to utilize an oil that, as also previously mentions, meets the required specifications for MB engines, but perhaps is not the oil that farthest exceeds the required specifications.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Um, guys - quite a few "I disagree" statements, followed by comments that agree with what we're all saying.

Mobil 1 meets the minimum requirements for MB/AMG tests and, as such, complies with their 229.5 certification standard. Other oil manufacturers have submitted samples for analysis and certification and have also been approved for 229.5.

Two other 229.5-approved oils:

Total Quartz 9000 5w40 is what I've been using recently, since it was stocked by autohausaz and relatively cheap for the big jugs (w/ free shipping no less).

Motul X-cess 5w40 is also supposed to be an excellent, albeit expensive option... from what I gather, it uses higher quality base stocks than M1 uses.

M1 is not the "best" oil available on the market, and MB/AMG has a number of perfectly logical reasons for recommending an option that is inferior to the most technologically advanced motor oils available today. What M1 is: affordable, readily available, MB/AMG-approved... all of which makes it a safe bet in your Mercedes.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Motul X-cess 5w40 is also supposed to be an excellent, albeit expensive option... from what I gather, it uses higher quality base stocks than M1 uses.
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 IS NOT MB229.5, but MB229.3.

Motul 8100 X-max 5W-40 on the other hand is MB229.5.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Where's Glyn!!!!!!

In the meantime, let me rip into this article myself. Apparently, this article (and testing) was so bad that the original website pulled it, and published a follow up admitting to how bad the testing was.

NOTHING in this article proves anything about engine oil and how it performs within an engine. Engine parts don't undergo the type of loads that this test performed plain and simple. Furthermore, engine oils are designed to work at operating temperature, not necessarily room temperature. What about shear qualities? What about how the oil performs with the chemistry/operating temperatures of a particular engine? What about longevity?

If you're swayed by this article, by all means, go ahead and switch oils. Keep in mind though, there is no reason why MB or AMG would tell you to pour anything less than the best for your particular engine inside of it.

I think it's alittle strong to say the test was bad or false in anyway. It showed that with the falex test, used to measure extreme pressure film strength, certain oils performed certain ways. The follow up article just basically said everybody has a different way of testing and there is no real way to directly replicate oil performance in the engine.

For what it's worth Royal Purple is used in several thousand HP drag cars, and is probably one of the more commonly used oils in the north american racing scene. I have used it in all cars including CTS-V, RS 4 and S6, and my CLS and never felt better about it.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
Originally Posted by Palladin
listen to this guy
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by andrey_clk55
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 IS NOT MB229.5, but MB229.3.

Motul 8100 X-max 5W-40 on the other hand is MB229.5.
I believe that used to be true. AFAIK, your info is now dated. For reference to support my claim, a post made November 2010, from the Bob is the Oil Guy forum:

Originally Posted by felixthecat
Interesting developments : Motul UK no longer lists 5w-40 X-max as available and has just changed the specs on Motul X-cess: it is now SM rated and BMW LL 01/ MB 229.5.
What happened to X-max? Was it just a stop-gap re-formulated X-cess?
Listed is 0w-40 Motul X-Max, now a low SAPS oil.

http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/products-...engine-oil.php
Here's the shortcut, if you're lazy like me :

http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/pdfs/synt...5W-40_(GB).pdf
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I believe that used to be true. AFAIK, your info is now dated. For reference to support my claim, a post made November 2010, from the Bob is the Oil Guy forum:

Here's the shortcut, if you're lazy like me :

http://www.motul-oil.co.uk/pdfs/synt...5W-40_(GB).pdf
Interesting, does MB know about that?

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...nt_action=show
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
I'd been staying away from MBWorld of late, but coming back now it's reassuring to know that if there's a thousand things that may have changed, the one constant is somewhere, somehow, there's bound to be an engine oil thread/discussion/argument on the C63 forum.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
I'd been staying away from MBWorld of late, but coming back now it's reassuring to know that if there's a thousand things that may have changed, the one constant is somewhere, somehow, there's bound to be an engine oil thread/discussion/argument on the C63 forum.
It just feels cozy, like your back home from college, no Sebring?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Independent oil test...Was not expecting this outcome.