Sponsored by:

Renntech Stage 2 Ecu?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renntech C63 AMG; Samoa Orange R8 GT 115/333
Renntech Stage 2 Ecu?

My car dealer was just talking to me about some renntech upgrades... So I'm wondering if anyone has done the renntech Ecu upgrade or if there are any opinions of it... Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Tyler1012
My car dealer was just talking to me about some renntech upgrades... So I'm wondering if anyone has done the renntech Ecu upgrade or if there are any opinions of it... Thanks!
RENNtech stage 2 is a very good upgrade... the package delivers very consistent and reliable power. It is also very convenient if you want to stay hassle-free in terms of different annoyances: smog, dealer, sound, etc.... A couple of members on here had it before they upgraded to long-tube headers.

If you go with the RENNtech package, you may want to join in on the RENNtech airbox group buy ASAP since the price reduction is fairly big. Here is the thread for it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...intake-gp.html

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-12-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Not to rain on your Renntech parade, but why would you go through a dealer to get this upgrade? You will be paying dealer markup on top of the high markup of renntech? There are soo many tuners out there that can get you what renntech can get, if not more, but for much cheaper.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renntech C63 AMG; Samoa Orange R8 GT 115/333
There's no Dealer markup... And I already bought the Akro evo exhaust so while my car is at renntech I thought I might as well get the tune... Are renntech Ecu tunes really underpowered?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
There's no Dealer markup... And I already bought the Akro evo exhaust so while my car is at renntech I thought I might as well get the tune... Are renntech Ecu tunes really underpowered?
RENNtech is very conservative with their claims, but their stuff does make the power as you will see on the dyno and on the track.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-12-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Having experience with RENNtech myself and seeing stage 2 tuning a truck load of times. Its good. However I have not seen tuning coming from their new tuner. Since their old tuner left, a few months ago. From what I hear they only have a contracted tuner, named Dion.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Having experience with RENNtech myself and seeing stage 2 tuning a truck load of times. Its good. However I have not seen tuning coming from their new tuner. Since their old tuner left, a few months ago. From what I hear they only have a contracted tuner, named Dion.
Actually that's not entirely accurate.... (at least from what I hear).

"Dian" has been apparently tuning cars at RENNtech for a very long time; he did not just take over or start tuning cars when the previous tuner left, and (more importantly) he is not somebody new. So many of the stage 2 tunes we've seen have actually been produced by both guys. Also, they now have 2 additional guys working on tuning and general software development, which will make things very interesting once their new "secret" tuning is released

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-13-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
save your money and get eurocharged or OE...no point in getting Renntech you pay 2 or 3 grand for same results
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
save your money and get eurocharged or OE...no point in getting Renntech you pay 2 or 3 grand for same results
You will be happy with whatever tune you run with the car! It truely is a night and day different.

If you interested in ours, I can extend our xmas pricing for you of $699 though the end of the week. (half off)

Old 01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Actually that's not entirely accurate.... (at least from what I hear).

"Dian" has been apparently tuning cars at RENNtech for a very long time; he did not just take over or start tuning cars when the previous tuner left, and (more importantly) he is not somebody new. So many of the stage 2 tunes we've seen have actually been produced by both guys. Also, they now have 2 additional guys working on tuning and general software development, which will make things very interesting once their new "secret" tuning is released
Dian was trained by Jeff, and they would need 2-3 additional guys to get themselves back up to level Jeff was at. Color me "unimpressed".
Old 01-15-2011, 03:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Speedriven
Dian was trained by Jeff, and they would need 2-3 additional guys to get themselves back up to level Jeff was at. Color me "unimpressed".
Wow, you think that low of Dian? You think he needs 2 more guys helping him in order to become as good as Jeff?

Can you please tell us who exactly is tuning cars at RENNtech right now besides Dian? Who the other two employees are? I assume you do not even know their names let alone their qualifications. But if that is so, then how the heck can you pass judgement on them so blindly/quickly?

Back on topic, here are some results from the op's project:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...pics-soon.html

Last edited by MB_Forever; 01-15-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Wow, you think that low of Dian? You think he needs 2 more guys helping him in order to become as good as Jeff?

Can you please tell us who exactly is tuning cars at RENNtech right now besides Dian? Who the other two employees are? I assume you do not even know their names let alone their qualifications, so then how in the heck can you pass judgement so blindly?

Back on topic, here are some results from the op's project:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...pics-soon.html
I appreciate your position, I really do. I hope your faith in those guys is well-founded, because a lot of people are paying them an awful lot of money.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
+1. Its just a tune. Why pay more?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
+1. Its just a tune. Why pay more?
^ this.

There's paying more, and there is paying MORE for no reason. Sometimes you pay more to buy from a reputable company with staff, a building, employees, etc. that you know will be around in a year or so in the event that something goes wrong and you need support. You can always pay less to buy from a 1-man show, and that's not a dig on their talent or abilities, it's just that - should something go catastrophically wrong - a lone entity can dissolve their LLC and "simply" reappear under a different (company) name or at another facility, whereas a larger shop has a greater obligation to support their product long-term.

So, a few hundred $ more to get some additional security? That can make sense, depending on your situation. An extra $1000 or $2000 to help pay for your tuner's vacation villa in Spain? Not so much.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Originally Posted by Speedriven
^ this.

There's paying more, and there is paying MORE for no reason. Sometimes you pay more to buy from a reputable company with staff, a building, employees, etc. that you know will be around in a year or so in the event that something goes wrong and you need support. You can always pay less to buy from a 1-man show, and that's not a dig on their talent or abilities, it's just that - should something go catastrophically wrong - a lone entity can dissolve their LLC and "simply" reappear under a different (company) name or at another facility, whereas a larger shop has a greater obligation to support their product long-term.

So, a few hundred $ more to get some additional security? That can make sense, depending on your situation. An extra $1000 or $2000 to help pay for your tuner's vacation villa in Spain? Not so much.
Jo @ Speedriven is the man! He's been in this industry for a while. He knows who's worth their salt in this industry and who will be 1/2 of what they use to be.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Renntech is a very reputable tuner for Mercedes-Benz. However, I really can't justify paying 3k for the same tune other tuners are offering for 1k don't ya agree? They are very overpriced IMHO and there really is no difference except for the name.