Sponsored by:

Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
This thread is a curse by the way!

My wipers worked PERFECTLY until I posted in this thread! LOL Yesterday driving home in the rain, the wipers started skipping liked crazy to the point where it drove me NUTS and I just shut them off. Every time they skipped they'd leave marks on the windshield so I'm thinking I must have had something on my window prior to the rain, like grease or some other road grime.

If you're wipers are working good......RUN!!!....get away from this thread as quick as possible.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
^^^ LOL, it's the big thread jinx.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
My OE wiper blades are going strong and show no signs of going south on me. On all my cars I seem to get/have gotten at least three years of service life from a set of blades. One thing I do monthly though is take a cotton ball saturated with rubbing alcohol and clean the rubber. It's amazing how much greasy scum comes off.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Just to close off on my earlier post, I’ve had the car out in the rain a couple of times now and the wipers are working fine.

They are smooth and noise free, as you should expect from a Mercedes-Benz.

As well as adjusting the wipers, new rubbers were installed.

This is the original type I had

This is the replace type they installed as part of the fix.

I guess there must be a difference in the rubber compound as they look the same except for the Tri-Star logo on the new version.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:04 PM

2009 C63
I have the tri-star ones and they chatter LIKE CRAZY and leave little marks on the windshield when they do.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by bhamg
My OE wiper blades are going strong and show no signs of going south on me. On all my cars I seem to get/have gotten at least three years of service life from a set of blades. One thing I do monthly though is take a cotton ball saturated with rubbing alcohol and clean the rubber. It's amazing how much greasy scum comes off.
Doesn't rubbing alcohol dry out the rubber?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by otakki
I think it depends on how much plasticizers comprise the rubber.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 AM

C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Originally Posted by dubaudi
I have the tri-star ones and they chatter LIKE CRAZY and leave little marks on the windshield when they do.

I don’t think the rubbers have much to do with it unless they are worn or perished.

Mine were fixed by adjusting the mechanism, the new blades came as part of the deal, possibly a just in case lets cross our fingers and hope it works deal.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by sjhugh
I don’t think the rubbers have much to do with it unless they are worn or perished.

Mine were fixed by adjusting the mechanism, the new blades came as part of the deal, possibly a just in case lets cross our fingers and hope it works deal.

I'm curious what adjustment they make to the mechanism that can stop the chattering. From a mechanical standpoint I can't see how it would make a difference where the blade starts or stops. But if it works, I'm all for it, because it's just unbearable in the rain.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:48 AM

C63 AMG, BMW 135i
They didn’t adjust the start and finish points (the sweep) of the blade, it’s the pressure the blade applies to the windscreen.

Speak to your dealership and tell them you want it fixed.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM

2009 C63
My Service B is coming up soon, I'll mention it then..
Old 07-17-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by otakki
Seems like I've been doing it forever and the rubber stays fine...the alcohol residue evaporates very quickly. Since I've been doing it I average three years life on wiper blades at which point I would replace them anyway, but that is in non-snow climates.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM

2009 C63
They didn’t adjust the start and finish points (the sweep) of the blade, it’s the pressure the blade applies to the windscreen.

Speak to your dealership and tell them you want it fixed.

Well, I've had the car back to the dealership 2 times now since I last posted, and they STILL can't seem to fix this problem. First they told me it was just because the blades needed to be replaced, so they replaced them at no charge.

STILL skipped and made noise like crazy to the point that I won't use them. So I took it back in a second time and complained again. When I tell the service adviser that I've read online from multiple sources that this is a common problem, she just looks at me like I'm crazy.

I don't know what else to do, other then try to make the adjustments myself. I live in Florida and it rains very often. I need them to work!!

Does ANYONE know exactly what adjustments are made to the arms to fix the problem???

SJHUGH....do you mind asking your dealer what they did to fix it? Since the US dealers seem to think there's nothing wrong, maybe your dealer would be willing to give some advice. thanks!!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
best blades come from SWF.
however this brand was jacked by Valeo and they seem to be a crappy partsmanufacturer
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM

C63 Coupe
Just to close off on my earlier post, I’ve had the car out in the rain a couple of times now and the wipers are working fine.

They are smooth and noise free, as you should expect from a Mercedes-Benz.

As well as adjusting the wipers, new rubbers were installed.

This is the original type I had

This is the replace type they installed as part of the fix.

I guess there must be a difference in the rubber compound as they look the same except for the Tri-Star logo on the new version.

Interesting as this is what happened to me.

Dealer put a new arm on, didn't look to me like it was much better.

They then changed the blade to one that had a mercedes logo on the end of it and it was perfect then. I don't really know why, and the original wiper blade was from the factory as the car is pretty new, but there you go. Maybe it's a slightly different quality of compound. So maybe we need the blade like in this picture if you want to stop the shaking and streaking.