CHEAP WEIGHT SAVINGS!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by jrcart
Guys, I've been running carbon fiber Braille batterys for years, they are great batteries. I put one in my Black Series about two years ago, saved me close to 50 pounds but I had issues when I sprayed nitrous, battery is too small for the draw of the nirtous system.

WARNING DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RUN ONE OF THESE BATTERIES IF YOU ARE RUNNING NITROUS!
Do you have any insight into any potential parasitic loss from the Braille battery?
Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Do you have any insight into any potential parasitic loss from the Braille battery?
I am not an expert on electronics, current, draw, amps, etc. All I know is that I installed the battery and the car ran great NA but whenever I sprayed it hesited and popped (almost like when your bottle goes empty for those of you that know that sensation, but more sudden and felt bigger), the first time it happened I thought a grenaded the motor, I pulled into the pits but the car was running and idleing great, it was very cold so I thought I maybe lost bottle pressure, heated bottle up had good pressure, made another pass and the same thing happened. I made a few passes and the same thing kept happening so I gave up. I had the car and the system inspected everything was 100%. Went to the track again, the same thing happend. Fortunetley this time Brad from evosport was at the track with me with some of his tech gear and hauler, he diagnosed a voltage issue, we threw a stock battery out of a CLS into the car and it ran great for a few passes, put the Braille back in and it started popping again. I ended up finding an Optima battery that had all the specs I needed and still saved me close to 10 pounds over the stock battery.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:02 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I am not an expert on electronics, current, draw, amps, etc. All I know is that I installed the battery and the car ran great NA but whenever I sprayed it hesited and popped (almost like when your bottle goes empty for those of you that know that sensation, but more sudden and felt bigger), the first time it happened I thought a grenaded the motor, I pulled into the pits but the car was running and idleing great, it was very cold so I thought I maybe lost bottle pressure, heated bottle up had good pressure, made another pass and the same thing happened. I made a few passes and the same thing kept happening so I gave up. I had the car and the system inspected everything was 100%. Went to the track again, the same thing happend. Fortunetley this time Brad from evosport was at the track with me with some of his tech gear and hauler, he diagnosed a voltage issue, we threw a stock battery out of a CLS into the car and it ran great for a few passes, put the Braille back in and it started popping again. I ended up finding an Optima battery that had all the specs I needed and still saved me close to 10 pounds over the stock battery.
damn, had the same thing happen to me when I was spraying the 32 when I had it.

scary feeling....

I went with the optima as well....
Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I've used mine my last 3 track days np! And I've never sprayed
Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by dodger63
I've used mine my last 3 track days np! And I've never sprayed
I understand there are no problems running the battery so long as you don't keep a door open when the car is off.

Just wondering if running a lighter weight battery can cost you some hp. If it does, say from the alternator having to run more often to keep it charged, how often would the battery need to be charged when the car is running.

For instance, does the alternator charge the battery when you're driving down the 1/4 mile?

Edit: Bottom line, whatever the parasitic loss -- if any -- this battery did make your car quicker--1/2 tenth.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 02-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Thanks for the response.

That sounds crazy with the NOS. Glad you figured it all out.

I've been told about the voltage issue before. I just don't quite understand why too low of voltage makes it dangerous to run an increased load on the motor.

I'm not very savvy with electronics either.

The Optima sounds like a good compromise.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several different Braille batteries that offer different reserve sizes and cranking amp capabilities. The light you go with the battery, the smaller the reserve.

I have not seen any issues with them as of yet but we have not used it with a nitrous system, maybe there is a lot of draw from the solenoids that they use. I used a big nitrous system in my car, it was a dry system, nitrous only, with 4 very large nitrous solenoids. I triggered the solenoids through a signal from the computer and I had two very large and heavy 16 volt battery's in my car with no alternator. I will look through some old logs and see what happened with the electrical system as the systems engaged and let you guys know.

I think that most of you will find the batter's to be very good and we use the 15lbs. battery that still has a decent size reserve and a good number of cranking amps, I would not recommend running anything smaller than that but I will be happy to order any battery that you want.

The battery is a 45lbs. saving and I am placing an order for new ones on Monday if anyone else would like to get one.

Thanks-
-Craig
Old 02-11-2011, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Craig, thanks for the additional info.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
There are several different Braille batteries that offer different reserve sizes and cranking amp capabilities. The light you go with the battery, the smaller the reserve.

I have not seen any issues with them as of yet but we have not used it with a nitrous system, maybe there is a lot of draw from the solenoids that they use. I used a big nitrous system in my car, it was a dry system, nitrous only, with 4 very large nitrous solenoids. I triggered the solenoids through a signal from the computer and I had two very large and heavy 16 volt battery's in my car with no alternator. I will look through some old logs and see what happened with the electrical system as the systems engaged and let you guys know.

I think that most of you will find the batter's to be very good and we use the 15lbs. battery that still has a decent size reserve and a good number of cranking amps, I would not recommend running anything smaller than that but I will be happy to order any battery that you want.

The battery is a 45lbs. saving and I am placing an order for new ones on Monday if anyone else would like to get one.

Thanks-
-Craig
I was not trying to derail your thread in any way, as I stated and want to reitterate to everyone is that Braille does make a great race proven product and I run them in a few of my vehicles to this day, I just think the complex electronics and my NOS created "the perfect storm" which caused me some problems. If you guys are not spraying then I absolutely suggest buying one, they weight savings are worth every penny, great value IMO. Now that my NOS has been uninstalled I will most likely throw my Braille back on a charger to see if its still good and put it back into the car.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I was not trying to derail your thread in any way, as I stated and want to reitterate to everyone is that Braille does make a great race proven product and I run them in a few of my vehicles to this day, I just think the complex electronics and my NOS created "the perfect storm" which caused me some problems. If you guys are not spraying then I absolutely suggest buying one, they weight savings are worth every penny, great value IMO. Now that my NOS has been uninstalled I will most likely throw my Braille back on a charger to see if its still good and put it back into the car.
No, I didn't suggest that you were derailing it in anyway. I don't want anyone to buy a product from me that doesn't work for their car. I was just trying to help out and see if my logs show anything and maybe help out with a solution for the future, that's all.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
what about instead of a 15lb braille, an 18lb or 21lb braille. Still save 40lbs, but better function so less swapping.

JR, which optima are you using?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:48 AM

GT3
Any pics of this installed? I'd like to see the bracket. Thanks...
Old 03-29-2011, 02:13 PM

GT3
guess I'll order the battery from summit. Cant get a response to my pm's or posts here Tried ordering it on the website and couldnt find it anywhere??? Oh well, I tried...
Old 03-29-2011, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
guess I'll order the battery from summit. Cant get a response to my pm's or posts here Tried ordering it on the website and couldnt find it anywhere??? Oh well, I tried...
Are you sure.. There in stock at rpm I was there all day what you looking for I'll get you an answer in a minute.. Support the vendors that help make this sight, and help us figure out what to buy! (516) 870-0352 call craig
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Sorry, I can't find any PM's from you but I can definitely ship one out to you right away if you would like one. You can always call me at the shop to order it at (516) 870-0351. Sorry that the unit is not up on my web site but you are always welcome to call and order one.

Thanks-
-Craig
Old 03-29-2011, 09:02 PM

GT3
I will try and reach you by phone tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
I will try and reach you by phone tomorrow. Thanks.
Please do. Criags a great guy
Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Staff@RPM
LIGHTWEIGHT BATTERY

We are putting together an order for some Braille lightweight battery's right now. We put one of these in Dodgers car the end of last year and we saved over 45lbs. by just doing this. You will not find an easier, cheaper and less invasive way to shave off that kind of weight. If your car was going 11.2 in the quarter you can change the battery and you should go 11.15 (equals about a half a car length in the 1/4) after you install this lightweight unit. Is there a cheaper and easier way to shave 1/2 a tenth of your time?

The Braille battery that we use easily fits in the car, the positive and negative terminals are in the correct locations and you don't need to modify anything with the factory parts to make it work. It is easily installed with basic tools and we can offer it with a mount kit if you like and we can also offer you a nice little trickle charger to keep your battery happy and ready to go during downtime.

Braille Mercedes lightweight battery - $168.00 on sale for $159.00

Billet aluminum mount kit - 98.00

2 amp trickle charger - $88.00
10 amp rapid charger - $129.00

We have this unit in Dodgers car with the mount kit at all, it was a very simple solution to secure the battery without any special mounts. If you are going to the Maryland race on February 18th I can bring the battery and anything else you need with me.

If you have any questions or you just want to place an order, please feel free to PM me or give me a call.

-Craig
Craig

Do you still have any of these batteries in stock?

Mike
Old 06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
I Think He does I'll find out!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by dodger63
I Think He does I'll find out!
Thanks.

I'll be able to make Englishtown on the 11th.