Weistec Stage 1 Supercharger Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I'm pretty sure almost all supercharger companies claim that they are close to obtaining CARB approval, and they either never get the E.O. or it takes much longer than they anticipated.

I will be very happy for Weistec and for the consumers who purchase their blowers when they get CARB approval, but until I see their name for the M156 on the CARB website, I'll just wait and see.
I don't have enough knowledge on the subject of CARB approval to make any intelligent comments on the subject, I will tell you that they are very dedicated to getting the approval and they wanted to wait on selling me my SC kit until they obtained the approval but I insisted that I did not car about it since I live in Illinois and I have already removed my cats from my car, all the CARB approvals in the world won't get me a passing sticker when my number is pulled for an emmisions test in the future.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by jrcart
I don't have enough knowledge on the subject of CARB approval to make any intelligent comments on the subject, I will tell you that they are very dedicated to getting the approval and they wanted to wait on selling me my SC kit until they obtained the approval but I insisted that I did not car about it since I live in Illinois and I have already removed my cats from my car, all the CARB approvals in the world won't get me a passing sticker when my number is pulled for an emmisions test in the future.
I understand your point.

I'm not an expert on CARB approval either. But, I have spoken with Vortech and Kenne Bell about the process several times. And I believe my previous car may have been used by Vortech to do cold start testing for CARB approval, but I don't know for sure. They told me they needed it for a few weeks or more to do "cold start" testing. That was a real mess between them and me, but water under the bridge.

I was told, and of course this is just hearsay, that a blower manufacturer that advertises that they are CARB pending, but who doesn't actually obtain an E.O., could get fined by CARB for each of the systems that they sold. I really don't know if this is true, but I was told this regarding one of the companies I listed above.

Weistec, would you mind clarifying this? I know CARB can be a real pain in the you know what.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Weistec
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
I understand your point.

I'm not an expert on CARB approval either. But, I have spoken with Vortech and Kenne Bell about the process several times. And I believe my previous car may have been used by Vortech to do cold start testing for CARB approval, but I don't know for sure. They told me they needed it for a few weeks or more to do "cold start" testing. That was a real mess between them and me, but water under the bridge.

I was told, and of course this is just hearsay, that a blower manufacturer that advertises that they are CARB pending, but who doesn't actually obtain an E.O., could get fined by CARB for each of the systems that they sold. I really don't know if this is true, but I was told this regarding one of the companies I listed above.

Weistec, would you mind clarifying this? I know CARB can be a real pain in the you know what.
You are very correct about the CARB approval process being a very time consuming and VERY expensive endeavor. Most of our resources at this time are set towards obtaining an E.O. number. We have been fortunate enough to have our own test vehicles specifically for CARB.

Aftermarket parts companies can all be fined by CARB based on their advertising methods. Let me know if that helps.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Regarding warranty, there are friendly dealers that will work with you when it comes to tune and headers however I do not know anyone that will warrant any powertrain issues when you put a blower on your car.
Anyway, that will be my last post on this matter as I do not want to hijack the thread.
I can't wait to see what the car can do on the streets (60-130, 1/4 mile, etc...)
Old 02-14-2011, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Weistec
You are very correct about the CARB approval process being a very time consuming and VERY expensive endeavor. Most of our resources at this time are set towards obtaining an E.O. number. We have been fortunate enough to have our own test vehicles specifically for CARB.

Aftermarket parts companies can all be fined by CARB based on their advertising methods. Let me know if that helps.
Thank you for the answer.

I really hope CARB hurrys up and approves you guys soon!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
I do think the cool thing about the SC is that you can hit that 480whp without a super loud car. Some cant handle or want a DD that is as loud as a catless long tube header car. So the sc is just another option, which is always a good thing.
Originally Posted by Weistec
Thanks for the hospitality. We understand the concerns of people making very good power with other bolt on parts, but our ultimate goal with our Stage 1 system is to have a 50 state legal zero drama 500+ rwhp Mercedes. Some people may have been a victim of California's "referee" and can completely understand where we are coming from. Having no cats or even long tubes with cats is a huge fine and it is my understanding that many other states will soon be adopting California's laws.

With that said, we are developing our Stage 2+ systems which will focus more towards performance. Thanks again.
I totally agree with you guys.... I've dealt with the whole long-tube headers issue before in California and I know the big hassle it causes. And in that regard, the supercharger is an excellent option. I honestly can't wait to see the end result after your stage 2 upgrades

Last edited by MB_Forever; 02-14-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
SICK - and the Crystal Method "High Roller" is a nice touch
Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
$8500 installed??? How do you figure? I just visited the websites of Renntech, evosport and MHP which are probably the 3 biggest players in the 63 arena, in looking at their prices MHP appeared to have the lowest price of about $9500 for their highest level tune, LT's and airbox, Renntech was over $13k for thier best stuff(LT's, race gas tune and cf airbox) and evosport was close to $11k and none of the prices included instalation, not sure how you came up with that $8500 installed figure, but let us know because I bet half the guys on the board will jump all over that product you mentioned at those prices.

...and all that stuff is gonna make you 60-80 hp not 130+

Go check it out for yourself.
Hey jrcart,
I am sure you will have the most potent set up when you are done "if and when" it all works.
You know as well as I do what these projects cost and sometimes end up. I wish you the best of luck. I am VERY concerned pushing the limits on these high compression motors and damaging something. You can be safe with nitrous and run it rich with colder plugs. However, forced induction can produce some surprises. We both know that fuel will be an issue.

As far as bang for your buck the MHP L/T's with the race tune ALONE will net you over 100rwhp and thats been proven over and over and that combo is less than $8000 combined with installation.

Good luck and keep us all posted.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Its about 3400 and 2400 for tune if you buy together, so 6.5k with install.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
@WEISTEC

It's already been asked before in this thread yet no answer was provided. What, if any modifications were done to the transmission in your test vehicle for this Stage 1 kit ? Or, is it only necessary to upgrade the trans for the Stage 2 kit ?? Lastly...with STAR you can check clutch actuation pressure and times to give an accurate "life remaining"...have you done this with your test vehicle?
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by LZH
@WEISTEC

It's already been asked before in this thread yet no answer was provided. What, if any modifications were done to the transmission in your test vehicle for this Stage 1 kit ? Or, is it only necessary to upgrade the trans for the Stage 2 kit ?? Lastly...with STAR you can check clutch actuation pressure and times to give an accurate "life remaining"...have you done this with your test vehicle?
Thanks in advance.
I think it is safe to assume, that after about 300 similar questions, on multiple forums, that if they had a solution they would have posted it by now.

OR.... Maybe they don't believe it to be an issue.

I guess time will tell.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
500whp is the stage 1 kit! Wow impressive.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
don't know what you did today, but I went for a ride in this beast!

evosport will be hosting a private showing for 5 potential customers. Please contact me direct. 3 of the slots are filled already.

thanks
Brad
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport

evosport will be hosting a private showing for 5 potential customers. Please contact me direct. 3 of the slots are filled already.

thanks
Brad
I went for a ride in a beast today! But it was mine!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 PM

pontiac firefly
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport

thanks
Brad
^ is it done !?!? PICS PLEASE! no video
Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 PM

C63 w/p30; MHP ECU tune+header+mids+CF air intake duct+Akrapovic+wide body kit+ Vorsteiner VS110
Originally Posted by dodger63
WAIT! Is that it sounded like! No I was referring to bang for the buck,, I meant, jrcart is talking about dyno numbers if you add a 2,000.00 intake on top of header & tune it's not going to show it's worth..

What I meant was take that out and look at the bang for tour buck with say a tune header which if u shop right u can get somewere near 4,000.00
Thnaks for clear explanation and got your point!

I do not want to hijack the thread.
I can't wait to see what the car can do on the streets (60-130, 1/4 mile, etc...)
+1
Old 02-14-2011, 09:38 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
I think it is safe to assume, that after about 300 similar questions, on multiple forums, that if they had a solution they would have posted it by now.

OR.... Maybe they don't believe it to be an issue.

I guess time will tell.
Or maybe it is or will be an issue and they are ignoring it....Not saying that's the case but its not out of the question. I'd prefer to hear it from the horses mouth rather than assume.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Seems like the horses mouth doesn't like to answer questions but i
Sure Jrcart would do allot of homework!
Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seems like the horses mouth doesn't like to answer questions but i
Sure Jrcart would do allot of homework!
You are correct, I did a lot of homework and asked a ton of questions. I had all the same questions as you guys did and a few more that you guys have not even asked yet. The first question I asked was compression, the second was cooling, the third was tuning and torque management and the last big question was can the trans handle it. They had answers and data to back everything up. I talked with these guys over dinner and saw and touched the test mule, this is a VERY real project by a few guys that are very serious and very very knowledgeble. I would not be moving forward if I did not have 100% confidence in them and the product. They know my car, they know it gets driven hard on the street, strip and road courses. They presented this to Brad to present to me, I did not solicate them, if they had any doubts in their product they would not have wanted a car that gets run like mine to be their first customer, they would find some doctor that drives his car from his garage to Cars and Coffee and will never be reved beyond 5000 rpm. The test mule has been cruising the streets of OC for a couple months now, these guys are doing things right with development and testing, my car is the next step in the testing process. I will keep everyone posted, also keep an eye open for a build thread over in the Black Series section, Brad will be posting some pics of the SC insstal and some other goodies that are currently being installed at evosport.

Last edited by jrcart; 02-14-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
I guess after that we stillhave no answers! I don't get it does anyone else?
Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess after that we stillhave no answers! I don't get it does anyone else?
I don't think its my place to comment on the technical stuff, first because I don't want to mis-quote anything and lots of what we talked about was WAY over my head and secondly because this is not my product and if they are choosing to not disclose certain information at this time I certainly don't want to say anthing I shouldn't . I hope you can appreciate my position, I've got nothing to hide, just not my place to say anything that has noot been made public by Weistec
Old 02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I sure would like to see that test mule run one of the SC'd M3s in SoCal from one of the regular posters over at M3post. I would wonder how it would fare against a ESS or Gintani vehicle.

Jim: Are you able to tell us if the tune was done in-house by Weistec or was it contracted out?

Last edited by Sincity; 02-14-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 f250 6.7 diesel
I don't think its my place to comment on the technical stuff, first because I don't want to mis-quote anything and lots of what we talked about was WAY over my head and secondly because this is not my product and if they are choosing to not disclose certain information at this time I certainly don't want to say anthing I shouldn't . I hope you can appreciate my position, I've got nothing to hide, just not my place to say anything that has noot been made public by Weistec
O yea I got you on that! In my opinion maybe they shouldve thought about this before spilling the beans I mean the YouTube video that was posted wasn't like a spy video obviously it was "released" as is the fact that they became a sponsor. And the fact that you are the first customer. Great pr but they could answer a few questions or atleast acknowledge them. Instead of just side steping them all? You can understand my point.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sincity
I sure would like to see that test mule run one of the SC'd M3s in SoCal from one of the regular posters over at M3post. I would wonder how it would fare against a ESS or Gintani vehicle.

Jim: Are you able to tell us if the tune was done in-house by Weistec or was it contracted out?
The way I understood it is its done in-house.

As for running one of the SC'ed M's, set it up and I will do it. I'm supposed pick up the car March 11th or 12th and I'm most likely going to be in OC and LA that entire following week. I'm looking to do a drag track rental to get it out and tested right away, Id prefer to run them at the track but I'll do it down PCH just as easily. In addition to the drag strip I will be running the car at Willow Springs, that should show what this things got, a drag strip does not put much stress on a motor, 11 seconds of hell and then the car gets to rest, now image 20 minutes of hell with higher speeds, higher temps and literally hundreds of up and down shifts, if the SC, my motor and trans holds up after an afternoon at Willow if will work for the street and strip with no worries whatsoever.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The way I understood it is its done in-house.

As for running one of the SC'ed M's, set it up and I will do it. I'm supposed pick up the car March 11th or 12th and I'm most likely going to be in OC and LA that entire following week.
Perhaps Evosport or C63_Guy can arrange something with DJS (Drew)? He seems pretty cool and level-headed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weistec Stage 1 Supercharger Results