Print Wikipost

2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 Steel Grey C63
Originally Posted by skokkosis
sorry guys! i will do it this evening, i've been honestly trying to nail sundown so it can be dark enough to show the lights fully, but bright enough to show you the wiring harness and such! will do this evening promise! will load with photobucket, depending on their loading time then it will fully be up after they authorize the video
Your awesome for volunteering to do it - no apologies necessary! Just wanted to make sure we kept the ball rolling on this....
Old 10-05-2011, 07:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe' '99' Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 DD
Sorry fellas but can someone walk me through getting these from Parts.com? I seem to be having trouble finding them.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 PM

2014 E63-S, 1987 190E 2.3-16, 1985 325E
video's loading up on youtube guys, haha taking 50 minutes, once done, all yours!
Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 PM

alas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEA8D21zgrw
Old 10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
awesome vid skokkosis! thanks!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM

C300
video's loading up on youtube guys, haha taking 50 minutes, once done, all yours!
HI man, thanks for yout video, I really appreciate that, but I could not find steps for how to remove those cover/shield in the trunk so I can see / access the wires ? Sorry for my stupid question..
Old 10-06-2011, 02:44 PM

i will take a few pics for you with dissasembly for you this afternoon master9999
Old 10-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
Anyone have a source for the 2012 C63 AMG Carbon Fiber mirror covers?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:36 PM

C300
Originally Posted by master9999
HI man, thanks for yout video, I really appreciate that, but I could not find steps for how to remove those cover/shield in the trunk so I can see / access the wires ? Sorry for my stupid question..
Thank you, skokkosis. really nice car and awesome hardware solution for the fog light issue! :-)

btw, I will head to Europe on Saturday and will get back on Oct 16th, please take your time.for pics. (or a video can simply indicate screws, latch/lug I should remove, you have done enough, I don't want you take your car in pieces again) in the mean time I will still work on this, (from DAS simulator)
so I can narrow down to few parameters.

anyone. if you can assist for a " Detach tail lamp video" , please speak up; so I can work on the coding issue, that would be highly appreciated, and open sharing is promised, thank you!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:38 AM

C63
Thank you, skokkosis. really nice car and awesome hardware solution for the fog light issue! :-)

btw, I will head to Europe on Saturday and will get back on Oct 16th, please take your time.for pics. (or a video can simply indicate screws, latch/lug I should remove, you have done enough, I don't want you take your car in pieces again) in the mean time I will still work on this, (from DAS simulator)
so I can narrow down to few parameters.

anyone. if you can assist for a " Detach tail lamp video" , please speak up; so I can work on the coding issue, that would be highly appreciated, and open sharing is promised, thank you!
Really looking forward to this, I'll give it a shot for some pics too, weather here isnt the bes...t
Old 10-07-2011, 02:54 AM

C300
Originally Posted by saferisk
Really looking forward to this, I'll give it a shot for some pics too, weather here isnt the bes...t

Thanks in advance, Saferisk :-)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Mercedes Benz
Looks great! And I found cargo area led lights on google, can you guys help me to check out would it fit on my 2008 Mercedes C350? Thanks a lot.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'09 C63 AMG
Well I've had these LEDs on for a while now and the look is starting to annoy me... I'll need to get a picture, but not only is the driver's side rear fog on, but I believe even when just driving around (where these taillights now have a "daytime running" function where just the 2 red horizontal LEDs are on), the passenger's side lower brake light is partially illuminated -- this looks bad. In addition, when braking, b/c the pass. side brake light is already activated it becomes even brighter and does not match the driver's side brake light. These are the tails I got from parts.com. For those with these same US tails, please verify that you are or are not getting this same functioning.

Last week, I also took the car to a local shop that has the STAR developer platform and we worked on it for over an hour. He seemed pretty comfortable navigating the software, but ultimately was unsuccessful. It seems that there is a fault that reads "the output for the right rear fog light has a malfunction. There is a short circuit to postivie or an open circuit." He told me that somehow this fault prevented him from getting into the coding of the rear SAM itself... He was able to control on/off of the left rear fog from the computer, but again, the fault was preventing further work...

For those who have done it, or are thinking of doing the coding, I have a set of screen pics of the developer software and specific messages (some in german) that I can send to you if you think you can help or are just curious. I just can't believe we have not been able to come up with a DIY or some cookbook instructions on this issue yet!!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 PM

'09 C63 AMG
rear lights

here are some pics of what I was describing above. driver's side:

passenger's side:

Notice how the lower brake light is illuminated somewhat (it's the light that's behind the lower LED strip). I'd assume those of you purchasing the US LED taillight for a US C63 will be having the same problem...
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 PM

C63
Hey there, I've purchased some instructions... (quite expensive I might add) but I'm not 100% sure if they will work, I'm going to the dealership next week to see if they are in fact good.

If they do in fact work, I'd be happy to post up here if I can get a couple of donations to cover a bit of the cost. One thing I might add however is that I'm in Australia and for me it isnt just one side LEDs coming on, its both sides. I have the euro spec tail-lights. I'll get some more pics to show what I mean.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:44 AM

C300
Originally Posted by dockt
Well I've had these LEDs on for a while now and the look is starting to annoy me... I'll need to get a picture, but not only is the driver's side rear fog on, but I believe even when just driving around (where these taillights now have a "daytime running" function where just the 2 red horizontal LEDs are on), the passenger's side lower brake light is partially illuminated -- this looks bad. In addition, when braking, b/c the pass. side brake light is already activated it becomes even brighter and does not match the driver's side brake light. These are the tails I got from parts.com. For those with these same US tails, please verify that you are or are not getting this same functioning.

Last week, I also took the car to a local shop that has the STAR developer platform and we worked on it for over an hour. He seemed pretty comfortable navigating the software, but ultimately was unsuccessful. It seems that there is a fault that reads "the output for the right rear fog light has a malfunction. There is a short circuit to postivie or an open circuit." He told me that somehow this fault prevented him from getting into the coding of the rear SAM itself... He was able to control on/off of the left rear fog from the computer, but again, the fault was preventing further work...

For those who have done it, or are thinking of doing the coding, I have a set of screen pics of the developer software and specific messages (some in german) that I can send to you if you think you can help or are just curious. I just can't believe we have not been able to come up with a DIY or some cookbook instructions on this issue yet!!
Hi Man,

I still haven't got any tail light detach video / instruction, so I can not help further.

in this case, what you have to do is install old tail light back, and perform the coding, so the error won't stop you. the put new tail light back, then you will see the coding is working or not.

just for your reference.

Best Regards.
Ray
Old 10-19-2011, 05:05 AM

C300
Originally Posted by saferisk
Hey there, I've purchased some instructions... (quite expensive I might add) but I'm not 100% sure if they will work, I'm going to the dealership next week to see if they are in fact good.

If they do in fact work, I'd be happy to post up here if I can get a couple of donations to cover a bit of the cost. One thing I might add however is that I'm in Australia and for me it isnt just one side LEDs coming on, its both sides. I have the euro spec tail-lights. I'll get some more pics to show what I mean.
Hi, in the case you have to program the fog light parameter on both side. :-)

Thank you.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 AM

C300
Thanks in advance, Saferisk :-)

Hello Guys, just a quick update, till now I haven't received any video clip for how to detach the tail lamp... so the investigation is still pending, therefore, I would like to change the way of sharing, anyone who can provide the video clip that show me how to remove the tail lamp, I will share the coding steps to you, and you can decide who to share, when to share...

how does it sound? :-)

PS:skokkosis, you are on the list already :-)
Old 11-14-2011, 04:43 AM

2008 C300 Sport Sedan: Panarama Roof, P2, Multimedia
Any updates on coding guys? Just saw a 2012 tonight and it looks awesome. Can wait to do this mod!
Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 AM

2008 C300 Sport Sedan: Panarama Roof, P2, Multimedia
hey guys! i just got a chance to sit down on my computer and take off this job for the day... i was in the trunk for over 5 hours tinkering with the fog problem! the diy i have to offer, has turned into a temporary fix for all who will like to it... i thought i had everything ready for install today, last evening i put in the tail lights, fully and flawlessly working (fog error, and fog on still on) i had worked on my reverse bulbs to be a white led a few months back, and since nobody had any input on which color wire was the reverse i had taken the time to splice up the harness's wires and discover which wire it was (on the driver side tail it's the grey/blue wire, if anyone is interested in getting error free reverse azn has a great product, but i wanted brighter so i took my own route by tapping into that wire (+) a resistor and then the other end of the resistor into the ground (-) the brown wire, as for the passenfer side tail, i need to open up the area and give you guys the wire for that side i needed to tap into, i will if anyone needs it, i believe is the ground for the whole harness is the brown wire only, but if not it MAY help us to getting a solution to the fog error if some of the other wires are grounds as well)

NONETHELESS back on topic... the wire that feeds the signal to the fog is the green wire, i believe this is only for US models, if for european as well, then this is referring solely to the driver side tail, no idea what wire you would need to work with on the passenger side)

what i believe the possible issues are that perhaps the resistor i was using [100ohm 10 watt 10% tolerance resistor] may be the first possible problem, the tails led's may need a completely different resistor for the issue, that resistor has worked to give me error free codes on every single area i've added led's (sidemarkers, lic. plate bulbs, interior floor lighting, reverse led's, i got my eyebrow led's pre-resisted from azn so i did not need to toy with resisting them)

for a temporary fix, since i believe that driving around with the fog on looks goofy, i have come to completely cutting the green wire, since i'll have to deal with the error code until another alternative comes out except working w. the SAM i will live with the error code at least by not having the led's on perhaps azn optics can give in some aid being that he's found out our cars response to led's and how to fix the error codes via his resisted bulbs, he may be able to give us some help with the info i have put up, it may just be that i'm using a wrong resistor, any type anyone recommend i should grab from radio shack or even online and give a go incase it gets things working?

guys i really tried getting something here to benefit and help everyone, i assumed that resisting (like a previous member had mentioned here as well) would do the trick, but i'm out of luck, i will keep working on my tails hopefully getting them to work, but until then this is the full feedback i have for everyone, and the route i took! hope this helps everyone for now, if anyone needs any info or help on white reverse led's, sidemarkers, fogs, or floor lighting, i'll be glad to help! until then i will be posting a video in a few for everyone to see mine working without the fog on, and how they look lit up, sorry again guys!

Ok I'm not that electrically inclined but I have a theory. If the green wire is the wire that feeds the fogs to be on, perhaps we can re-route that wire to a 194 light socket or whichever light socket necessary. Basically tricking the system in thinking that it's still powering a light.

Forgive me if you experts think this idea is primative or dumb, but it's an idea.

See my sorry PAINT illustration:

Old 11-17-2011, 01:15 AM

Mercedes C300 AMG
Any news solution for the ERROR..... My tail light are arriving soon.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Are the brake lights LED? I see normal bulbs under the LED turn signals.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-17-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Anyone?
Old 11-20-2011, 04:18 PM

'09 C63 AMG
Brake lights are not LED.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Originally Posted by dockt
Brake lights are not LED.
Knew it. Wish they were. I saw normal bulbs and thought those were the rear fogs. So basically all that's LED are the turn signals, rear fog lights, and the tail lamps?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 W204 LED Taillight Retrofit DIY