Rattle noise where dash meets windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Rattle noise where dash meets windshield

Driving at slower speeds I hear this faint rattling/clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from where the dash meets the windshield. It seems most prominent on the driver side, but no matter how much time I spend trying to track it down, I keep coming up empty handed. It's driving me crazy!

Any ideas? I really don't want to take it to the dealer and let them tear the dash apart.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63
Thank you, I have the same thing but on the passenger side. Drives me nuts as well.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
c63AMG
I had the same thing. rattle coming from behind the speedometer and ac vent. feels like the whole car is falling apart when i drive on bad road.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63, 2007 X5
I have the same clicking noise, but can't exactly locate where it's coming from. Either on top near the sun roof or driver side pillar. I will bring it in for warranty soon and hope they can fix it. I found this link and might help with other rattling noises: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...anel-flex.html
Old 07-18-2011, 04:48 PM

2010 P31 Obsidian; 1990 ZX11
I'm experiencing the same slight rattle on my 2010; it comes and goes. For me, when it wants to be heard it comes from the driver side at the plastic mesh near the windshield. Have placed my hand on the mesh with minimal pressure and the sound stops; remove my hand, and the sound continues. Smoothness of road surface is not a factor. Didn't want to go in to MB for the same reason (tearing up my dash). Also could be a waste of time if I couldn't reproduce the noise.

Maybe enough complaints can generate an action from MB. Anyone have any insight on that possibility?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 E63 AMG
Hearing it again driving to work this morning, it almost sounds like there is a hose loose in the engine bay making a tapping noise right beyond the firewall, where dash meets windshield. I popped the hood and couldn't find anything loose in that area.

Arghh!!!! It's driving me .
Old 07-18-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by xtyper
Driving at slower speeds I hear this faint rattling/clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from where the dash meets the windshield. It seems most prominent on the driver side, but no matter how much time I spend trying to track it down, I keep coming up empty handed. It's driving me crazy!

Any ideas? I really don't want to take it to the dealer and let them tear the dash apart.
I have the rattle in that area. But, mine comes from where the dash and driver's side air cond vent is. If I push up and down on the area of the dash where the air cond vent is it sounds like tennis shoes that make that rough, squeeking noise when you walk. It's super annoying and it happens mostly on slightly uneven pavement, which is pretty much everywhere.

I've taken it in to the dealer twice for this issue and both times they acknowledge it. Once the foreman came for a ride with me, he heard it and remarked "that sucks."

The bummer is when it comes time to fixing it, they won't and they say on the invoice sheet that they could not replicate the problem, which is not true as stated above.

Btw, I can stop the noise completely if I drive and place upward pressure with my left hand under the area of the dash where the air cond vent is.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
I got an extremely annoying rattle in my command area. If i close the command screen it goes away, but when its open..
Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM

C63, C300, 911TT x 3, 911 C2 x 2, 911SC, SL65, SL500, 280SL Plus some trucks
Mercedes-Benz=Rattle Trap.

Who'd have thought? Stereo shops are often good at finding this stuff. They cause enough of them.

Jim
Old 07-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Lots of little squeaks and rattles here too... I'm starting to call the beast "rattlesnake". Seems mostly located in the doors (behind the cosmetic trim - if I press on it it stops) but also from sunroof area/headliner on really bad roads. Music with a lot of base (even if not loud) will cause the rattle. I'm new to MB so I'm a bit dissapointed it's such a common occurence. I was thinking of mentionning it on my next service but I'm also concerned they wont find it and it will cause even more rattles by dissasembling averything...
Old 05-10-2012, 03:55 PM

Anyone figured out what is causing the rattle? I actually have that grill off and I don't feel anything in that space that is causing the noise. It seems that it is coming from under the a pillar and being transmitted through the air-bag wire.
Anyone have any ideas what to do next?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by bkatbamna
Anyone figured out what is causing the rattle? I actually have that grill off and I don't feel anything in that space that is causing the noise. It seems that it is coming from under the a pillar and being transmitted through the air-bag wire.
Anyone have any ideas what to do next?
On my gl550 the noicse was actually coming from the hood. Try lifting up and down on the back corner of the hood, if you hear a creaking noise that is the promlem. There are hood hinge adjusters on the the hing that touch metal to metal and it will sound like a creak or rattle when the car flexes over bumps. I used a small peice of felt on them and the noise is gone.