Is C63 Really Worth $70k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by propain
I don't know about anyone else but I dont want to see either of you guys in a Bikini.
That was my first thought as well, upon reading Drjitsu's post. LOL.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
What did i miss?
Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM

2009 E350, 2002 GT2, 2004 SC M3, 2010 C63
No, do the math: If he loses he only pays $2k, the rest covers his expenses.

This way I don't pay up front for a dick tuck.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
My comprehension is fine....you said you thought 1/4 mile is meaningless and asserted you could beat me on the road course.

I am offering to run you on the road course, bring your 993.

I will pay for your trip out, ship your car if you wish. I will also pay for your hotel.

The only excuse you have is that you like to run your mouth about things you cannot back up in the real world. For example, do you really expect me to believe your friend leased a C63 and then let you put thousands of mile on it?
If your comprehension is good, then you must have a wild imagination.

Firstly, your whole argument revolved around your 3.6 vs my V8...which I no longer have. Wouldn't a mezger vs. mezger race kinda defeat your whole mezger> all argument?

Now, please show me where I said my 993TT could beat your GT2 on the road course? You talked about some 860rwhp car and racing and I said I'd be impressed if that car could run at full power for a full track session.

well for one, I happen to know far more about the mezger engine in the back of my car than you do, and secondly, yes my friend who leased a C63 let me drive it whenever. Did I put thousands of miles on it? Of course not. That said, I don't think I need more than 200 or so miles I've driven it to figure out that its not something I care for.

Look man, you like to try to put letters onto my keyboard, but even a 6th grade mock trial student could tell you that you ain't got no evidence bud.

So, appreciate the trip offer, but don't see how it solves any of the things brought up in this thread.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
No, do the math: If he loses he only pays $2k, the rest covers his expenses.

This way I don't pay up front for a dick tuck.
There is no paying up front. The first thing that ships is his car. You don't pay unless it ships. I dont think he will let you have his car if he ships it.

Yes, but before it was just about the race and not the money. Now you are changing it up a bit.

You made it seem like you wanted to race him and beat him so bad that you would pay all expenses to get it done. Now it seems you want to wager some money and cover your loses if you lose.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by Oliverk
No, I'm 27.

Then again, I'm not an hormone fueled, adrenaline crazed retard that needs to drive at full throttle everywhere.

After a 14 hour day at my office, I like to come home to a quiet, comfortable, and smooth ride.

As to "driving in anger", that is a colloquialism for driving in a sporting manner. It has nothing to do with being angry.

btw, sports cars have manual transmissions (leg or hydraulicly actuated clutch), not automatics...guess you and your grandma have something in common.

27?

You sound pretty old to me...do you wear a blazer and smoke a pipe too after leaving your office? Sounds to me like you are driving a 6 year old S500 that daddy didn't want to trade in...can;t imagine a young fellow "wanting" an S500 when there are so many other options out there .
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by coladin
27?

You sound pretty old to me...do you wear a blazer and smoke a pipe too after leaving your office? Sounds to me like you are driving a 6 year old S500 that daddy didn't want to trade in...can;t imagine a young fellow "wanting" an S500 when there are so many other options out there .
lol...no.

Daddy had an M3, a clk550, and now drives an SL55.

I went from an A4, to an E430, to the S500.

yes, I do wear a blazer, tweed, and suits everyday.

I absolutely love my s500. Not to mention, the combination with the more raw 993tt and the comfy quiet s500.

Like I said before. I have the ability to own two cars, so why would I buy a compromise car?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
lol...no.

Daddy had an M3, a clk550, and now drives an SL55.

I went from an A4, to an E430, to the S500.

I absolutely love my s500. Not to mention, the combination with the more raw 993tt and the comfy quiet s500.

Like I said before. I have the ability to own two cars, so why would I buy a compromise car?

lol...good one... you like sedans that coddle, fair enough and yes, you got the best of both worlds
Old 08-22-2011, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
FWIW, although not your question... a LOT of folks have picked up their C63's, brand new, for $55k-ish (sometimes less).

Just have to know the right time to shop. Hint: rhymes with "drunk funny."
That's funny. haha
Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Personally, I think the C63 is very easy to distinguish from a C300 or C350. The C63's front end is longer and wider. I'm sure most people don't pay attention to cars as much as myself or others on this board, but there are big differences between the C63 and the non-AMG models.

I think the M156 is worth every penny. It's a good enough engine to be used in 150K SL's and the C63 even receives the top of the line MB/AMG steering system.

Like others have said, C63's shouldn't cost you 70K unless you are paying sticker, but there are plenty of good deals to be found.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:31 PM

2016 G550
lol...no.

Rocking tweed suits in a 2005 S500, I love it!

What best buy do you work at that requires tweed blazers?

Lots of tiny ***** syndrome going on here...
Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by enochroot
Rocking tweed suits in a 2005 S500, I love it!

What best buy do you work at that requires tweed blazers?

Lots of tiny ***** syndrome going on here...
what in gods name are you talking about?

firstly, I wear tweed blazers, not tweed suits.

secondly, I forgot the nyse is a best buy...interesting.

finally, whose got the syndrome in this scenario?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Once again, "drive in anger" means driving in a spirited manner. Its a colloquialism.

I'm perfectly happy with my s-class, so I have no need for the hyundai.

Oh cut the crap.

No AMG motor is a masterpiece of engineering. In fact, there is absolutely nothing special about AMG motors. Yes, they make good power out of a lot of displacement. So does the far simpler, far cheaper LS7 from chevrolet.

Have I ever owned one? No. I see no need for compromise cars, which is what every AMG, save for the SLS is.

Right, because I own a car that was manufactured while daimler owned chrysler, I can't have an authority on quality. How do you feel about the quality of 993 porsches? The bottom line, is that the quality of my s500 has been fantastic.

Then again, the quality of my car, and the level of engineering of the amg engine has nothing to do with the ONE MAN ONE MOTOR crap. You should really be impressed by the MB marketing team for making you think this matters.

Whats bizarre? That I don't fawn over the c63? Its a muscle car in a fancier suit...big deal.

Another person who doesn't know what is an automatic transmission and what is a manual transmission with a hydraulically operated clutch.

It also happens to be something I've clarified twice now.
It's actually you who doesn't know the difference ..... they are all automatic transmissions, because they're AUTOMATED.

Definition of AUTOMATED: To convert to automatic operation

Get it?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'16 Lexus GS F '18 M5
I think most car enthusiast's would agree that if it has a gas pedal and a brake pedal only its an automatic transmission and if it has a gas, brake, and CLUTCH pedal its a manual transmission. All this other BS is just splitting hairs.......
Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by SMP
It's actually you who doesn't know the difference ..... they are all automatic transmissions, because they're AUTOMATED.

Get it?
my god you are dense. Not only have I explained at least 3 times that I'm referring to vehicles that do not have hydraulically operated clutches, but automatic transmissions have torque converters.

now scurry on over to wikipedia and figure out what that is.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by amg4rl
I think most car enthusiast's would agree that if it has a gas pedal and a brake pedal only its an automatic transmission and if it has a gas, brake, and CLUTCH pedal its a manual transmission. All this other BS is just splitting hairs.......
incorrect. I'd argue most enthusiasts would understand the difference between a torque converter automatic gearbox and a manual gearbox with a computer controlled, hydraulically operated pressure plate.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Wow, craziest thread I've read in a while!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by SMP

Get it?
There is big debate on this. I agree with you but others who have DCT, SMG and PDK tranny's dont. On the "Other Forum" I had a 15 page debate with Sticky on the subject.

In the end I believe the correct definition is an Automated Manual. Not an automatic transmission. However I still consider both automatics because the word automatic doesnt define the transmission only hows it shifts and DCT and SMG both shift without the drivers intervention thus making them an automatic in my mind.

Others however will tell you "Automatic" means having a torque converter. I disagree with this as the torque converter was the only form of automatic when the term automatic was adpoted.

Again, automatic means automatic. I dont care if it operated internally like a manual with a hydraulic clutch. It still shift automatically.

Last edited by propain; 08-22-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
incorrect. I'd argue most enthusiasts would understand the difference between a torque converter automatic gearbox and a manual gearbox with a computer controlled, hydraulically operated pressure plate.
Agree with Oliverk on this one. FWIW, I believe the technical name for many of these transmissions are "semi-automatic transmissions" - the "semi" being a worthwhile differentiator.

Ferrari F1, Lambo's e-gear, BMW's SMG, etc... are all "clutchless manuals" worlds different from a traditional torque-converter'd slushbox. AMG's MCT isn't quite the same as either. And, if memory serves, some of these boxes (Ferrari's F1 in some of the older models... maybe even the current one? IDK) don't even have an "auto" option. You have to pull the lever to trigger an up/down shift. You just don't have a clutch pedal to actuate with your leg.

Dual-clutch semi-auto transmissions are different still... like VW's DSG, Porsche's PDK, Nissan's DCT, etc...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:56 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
my god you are dense. Not only have I explained at least 3 times that I'm referring to vehicles that do not have hydraulically operated clutches, but automatic transmissions have torque converters.

now scurry on over to wikipedia and figure out what that is.
Has it ever occurred to you that you're dense? As soon as the manual operation has been replaced by automation, it becomes an AUTOMATIC. Pure and simple by the defintion of the word. It's not only the clutch that has been automated, it's the selection of gears as well. Everyone of those transmissions has a FULLY AUTOMATIC mode, all you have to do is step on the gas. It doesn't make a difference whether it uses a wet startup clutch (MCT), a torque converter (7G), a single clutch automated manual (SMG,E-Gear) or a double clutch (DSG, DCT, PDK, F1). Unless you would like to talk about shift speed, efficiency or how they work in principal, at the end they're all automatic transmissions.

BTW, which "modern" manual transmission doesn't have a hydraulically operated clutch instead of a cable operated clutch?

Since you brought up Wikipedia, go look up the definition of automated and automatic
Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by propain
There is big debate on this. I agree with you but others who have DCT, SMG and PDK tranny's dont. On the "Other Forum" I had a 15 page debate with Sticky on the subject.

In the end I believe the correct definition is an Automated Manual. Not an automatic transmission. However I still consider both automatics because the word automatic doesnt define the transmission only hows it shifts and DCT and SMG both shift without the drivers intervention thus making them an automatic in my mind.

Others however will tell you "Automatic" means having a torque converter. I disagree with this as the torque converter was the only form of automatic when the term automatic was adpoted.

Again, automatic means automatic. I dont care if it operated internally like a manual with a hydraulic clutch. It still shift automatically.

I agree with you, even though I own all 3 types of transmissions (7G, SMG, PDK) at the moment
Old 08-22-2011, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by SMP
I agree with you, even though I own all 3 types of transmissions (7G, SMG, PDK) at the moment
Even better then!

I will use you as an example in my future debates on the subject.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by SMP
Has it ever occurred to you that you're dense? As soon as the manual operation has been replaced by automation, it becomes an AUTOMATIC. Pure and simple by the defintion of the word. It's not only the clutch that has been automated, it's the selection of gears as well. Everyone of those transmissions has a FULLY AUTOMATIC mode, all you have to do is step on the gas. It doesn't make a difference whether it uses a wet startup clutch (MCT), a torque converter (7G), a single clutch automated manual (SMG,E-Gear) or a double clutch (DSG, DCT, PDK, F1). Unless you would like to talk about shift speed, efficiency or how they work in principal, at the end they're all automatic transmissions.

BTW, which "modern" manual transmission doesn't have a hydraulically operated clutch instead of a cable operated clutch?

Since you brought up Wikipedia, go look up the definition of automated and automatic
Are we really going to argue about this? You obviously know what I was referring to, and are simply attempting to be pedantic. But since you would like clarification, how about an "electronically controlled manual transmission with one or more clutches that can change gears either fully automatically or by human input on a lever, paddle, or buttons."

To your last point, regardless of whether the clutch pedal pushes a hydraulic plunger or pulls on a cable, it is operated by a human appendage.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 08-22-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Are we really going to argue about this? You obviously know what I was referring to, and are simply attempting to be pedantic.

To your last point, regardless of whether the clutch pedal pushes a hydraulic plunger or pulls on a cable, it is operated by a human appendage.
Pedantic? Are you kidding me? Maybe you should answer my posts in a different tone, so I don't have to get into minute details with you.

Remember, you said in your post that I don't know the difference, and how dense I am. You asked for it, I delivered.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Are we really going to argue about this? You obviously know what I was referring to, and are simply attempting to be pedantic. But since you would like clarification, how about an "electronically controlled manual transmission with one or more clutches that can change gears either fully automatically or by human input on a lever, paddle, or buttons."

Clarification? How so? Not only do I own 3 different types of transmission in 5 cars, I can also explain in 30 sec. flat how each of them work in principal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is C63 Really Worth $70k?