Sponsored by:

Common Problems with the C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering...
Originally Posted by SHartin70
Minor squeaks and rattles are a way of life for these kinds of cars, anything with a suspension this stiff being driven on bad roads (like SoCal, where I live).
I had an s2000 for a while and after beating it to death, driving in DC and other pothole infested/bumpy roads too, I never ever got even a squeak or rattle...and remember, it was a convertible as they all are. The tight suspension is on par with a C63 too.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by gthal
I had a similar rattling sound in the right rear. They thought it was a loose hose in the gas tank but it wasn't. Turned out it was something in the rear right shock. It is being replaced tomorrow.
Originally Posted by bigsl550fan
Interesting let me know if that fixed the issue.
Got the car back today... rattle noise in the right rear now fixed by replacing the shock. The description on the invoice was that the shock was failing (after 3,000km ). Ultimately, there was some sort of a defect and all is better.

So far on the car they have taken the driver's seat apart and felted it in various spots to stop BAD squeaking and changed the shock to fix the rattle in the rear. The car now is great... no squeaks, no rattles, no strange noises.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Rattle above the driver's side dash
Had to top off the oil after 500 miles
Hood did not fully close/align on the right side---dealer fixed
Slight thumping noise starting off in first gear coming from the front--intermittent/not a clue
Twice wouldn't start--think it is an issue with the key?
Small tank--at the gas station more than with any car I have ever owned. With only short daily trips too

Very happy with the car as is and these are minor issues that I can live with
Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 PM

sl550
The rattling is getting worse in the back for me, once again got the car this past weekend, kinda annoys me. Sounds like its coming from the rear speaker area.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Anyone have squeaking noises coming out of their mirrors whenever you hit a big bump or shut the door? I wonder if WD-40 would make it go away.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 AM

2009 C63 AMG
The rattling is getting worse in the back for me, once again got the car this past weekend, kinda annoys me. Sounds like its coming from the rear speaker area.
I have it. Last time I brought it in to the dealer, they said it's the rear speaker cover and I was told it's felted to drive the rattling away. But obviously it's come back.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:42 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
I got my rear noise fixed he said its from the speaker or the rear break light?
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Anyone have a issue with the driver seat making lots of noise? maybe its because im a big guy and the plastic is bending? but i owned a s550 e350 gl450 and never has a problems with the seat making noises. really annoying and every 10 seconds i hear it.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by farhadahmad
Anyone have a issue with the driver seat making lots of noise? maybe its because im a big guy and the plastic is bending? but i owned a s550 e350 gl450 and never has a problems with the seat making noises. really annoying and every 10 seconds i hear it.
Yep... They took mine apart and applied felt in various places to stop the crazy squeaking. Now it is perfectly quiet.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:09 PM

2009 C63 AMG
I happened to raise the rear sunshade today when the rattling sound continued to annoy me.
Then Voilà, it's gone.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
self cancelling clattering

Look at 1-8-12 input this thread for loose grill after touching it with a sponge during washing. Well I listened in distress as wife started the car this week and a loud clatter came from the engine compartment. It sounded like either dry lifters or a loose pulley . In an immaculate healing the car was perfect upon return. I believe the grill has again loosened in its clips as I had just washed the car. Hardly Mercedes class fit and fitment, but nice recovery.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by balthaser
I happened to raise the rear sunshade today when the rattling sound continued to annoy me.
Then Voilà, it's gone.
So if mine's rattling a bit, is there anything the dealership can do?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:53 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
So if mine's rattling a bit, is there anything the dealership can do?
they will probably take apart some parts and put some felt tape around the contact points and that's it. nothing else they could do.

now I just have the rear sun shade up most of the time to keep rattling away.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I suppose that works...until the sun goes down.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:59 PM

2012 C63 Coupe. Eurocharged, Charcoal Filters Removed, R-S3 Tires
My new C63 Coupe started having rattling noise in the dashboard after 2000km.

The parking sensores didn't work since the day I picked it up from the dealer. I brought it back and the dealer changed the parking sensor module as it was not functioning since the day it was installed at the factory in Germany. I think after that the rattling noise started. Do you guys know where the module located in the car?

The dealer says they didn't touch the dashboard as the module is under the passenger floor area. I have to bring it back to fix the noise but I'm afraid if they touch the dash board it will make even more noise after. Actually this is also what one of the service reps at MB told me. He said: "every time we disassemble a dashboard it makes 4 times more noise!" WDF?????

What a disappointment!!! Such a nice performance toy from AMG and so poor quality from MB!!!

What are you suggestions???
Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
question for you guys with the rattling and squeeks.. when you took it to the dealer to check it out and fix it... was it covered or did you have to pay out of pocket?

i got some squeeking as well and its annoying... but not sure if it will cost me like 2 hrs of labour to find and then x to fix.

lastly, i noticed many of you with more serious problems mentioned you saw the actual MB invoice.. the one back to MB. Are we in a position to ask for a copy for our own records to see exactly what was fixed?
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
Originally Posted by gthal
Yep... They took mine apart and applied felt in various places to stop the crazy squeaking. Now it is perfectly quiet.
so your seat makes lot of noises while driving right? they just applied stuff and it was okay?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by farhadahmad
so your seat makes lot of noises while driving right? they just applied stuff and it was okay?
Yes. It was leather rubbing on plastic seat parts that caused the squeaking. They used felt to fix it.

I will say the only disappointment with this car are the squeaks. This is the worst car I have owned from this perspective (2 M3s and 2 G37 coupes) by far in the last 6-7 years. It is a little disappointing from MB. The dealer has been greatso far in fixing the issues but I expect the dash creaking I'm now getting won't be easily fixed.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM

2012 C63
Originally Posted by Fung63
question for you guys with the rattling and squeeks.. when you took it to the dealer to check it out and fix it... was it covered or did you have to pay out of pocket?

i got some squeeking as well and its annoying... but not sure if it will cost me like 2 hrs of labour to find and then x to fix.

lastly, i noticed many of you with more serious problems mentioned you saw the actual MB invoice.. the one back to MB. Are we in a position to ask for a copy for our own records to see exactly what was fixed?
I had 2 rattles develop. One from behind the center air vents and another from behind the instruments. It took the dealer a number of days to sort out but eventually returned the car rattle free. The work was covered under warranty however I have a nagging recollection that rattles were only covered for the 1st year only.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 PM

sl550
I have a very annoying rattle coming from the center dash/vents, when i hold the dash with my hand over bumps it kinda goes away. I also have rattles in the speedo as well not as annoying as the dash.

The rear brake light in the rear by the rear speakers rattles around as well when the music is up and that's very fustrating.

I do love the car but man I've never had a car with so many rattles after 50 miles on it!. Very poor fit and finish by mercedes.

My corvette 08 z06 and standard 06 corvette didn't rattle anywhere near this car!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM

2012 C63 Coupe. Eurocharged, Charcoal Filters Removed, R-S3 Tires
I have a very annoying rattle coming from the center dash/vents, when i hold the dash with my hand over bumps it kinda goes away. I also have rattles in the speedo as well not as annoying as the dash.

The rear brake light in the rear by the rear speakers rattles around as well when the music is up and that's very fustrating.

I do love the car but man I've never had a car with so many rattles after 50 miles on it!. Very poor fit and finish by mercedes.

My corvette 08 z06 and standard 06 corvette didn't rattle anywhere near this car!
My car is 1 month old c63 coupe and I have exactly the same problem as you describe here:

"I have a very annoying rattle coming from the center dash/vents, when i hold the dash with my hand over bumps it kinda goes away. I also have rattles in the speedo as well not as annoying as the dash."

I'm scheduled with Midtown Merc to drop off my car for a fix on Wednesday. I will keep you posted on results.

Last edited by NovA_S; 04-25-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by NovA_S
My car is 1 month old c63 coupe and I have exactly the same problem as you describe here:

"I have a very annoying rattle coming from the center dash/vents, when i hold the dash with my hand over bumps it kinda goes away. I also have rattles in the speedo as well not as annoying as the dash."
Murphy's law... I also now have a noise in the center console. It isn't a rattle but a squeaking/rubbing noise. I can identify where it is coming from and will eventually get it in to have it fixed. I agree with the posts above... this car is absolutely amazing but it is noisy. I suspect some of this is the "new" design in the 2012 interior but there are lots of posts on the older interior design being noisy too. Having said that, my two M3's were solid and rattle/squeak free and it is somewhat disappointing how the C63 is no where near as quiet. It isn't bad but it isn't what I expected from MB. It can be fixed but it is a pain in the butt and annoying. I'm very happy how my dealer has dealt with the issues as they have fixed everything I brought to them (mostly my seat) but MB should be better to start with.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 PM

c63
my dash, nav cover and instrument area rattles since the day i bought it. it used to annoy me a LOT but i just block it out with acceleration and music. i expected more from an AMG.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 PM

check sig ;)
09 w 45k miles
1. uses about a half quart of oil every 1000miles
2. brakes squeak at low speeds
3. trunk creaks when opening
4. hits 2nd gear hard sometimes...almost like dropping the clutch in a manual with a big chirp of the tires
5. always hit the button to open the center console by accident
6. grille came loose on drivers side
7. My 02 E55 had a way better build quality and NEVER used a drop of oil no matter how hard I beat it....wish I never got rid of it
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 PM

sl550
I test drove a couple of c63 coupes before i bought mine and they all had rattles with no miles on them, very shocking to say the least.

Its still a great car and I love it but I can't stand rattles

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Common Problems with the C63 AMG