Sponsored by:

Problems & no one knows.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Problems & no one knows.

I've got a check engine light that no one seams to be able to find the cause. I've had it to Knoxville where they will read the codes pull them and send me on my way. I've called MB Customer Care more time than I care to think about. All they say is take it to a dealer. I have. I took it to long in Chattanooga who were all gung ho about fixing it then told me to take it to Buckhead, 300 miles away. 0745 it's reading lean mixture cylinder bank 1 and 2091 Mixture bank 1 is to lean at speed. Their tech's don't know what is causing the light. I don't know what do next . The mods were , ecu, headers, and full exhaust all by Kleemann. Does anyone have a phone number of a higher athurity within Mercedes. This is no way to do business. Hell, if this were Ford they would be on top of it and have it and fixed in three days max. All that would have to be done is call Atlanta corporate offices. All Mercedes does is run you in a circle.

Last edited by ergon; 02-15-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET.

Ding ding.

These dealers are useless I swear.. Have you replaced the purge valve already?

Its either the purge valve, it can get stuck open sometimes. It will need to be replaced and is easy. Or the Intake manifold gasket which is an extremely common problem on the M156..
Old 02-15-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe P31 2021 GLC63s Coupe
It's the ecu mods, do a search and there are plenty of people with the same issue send it back to kleeman and have them reflash. I would becareful when taking it in to dealer as they can black list your car for having said mods and if the engine grenades they would not do a thing about it.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
o2 sensor?
Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
With your modifications, you are lucky that a dealer will even begin to troubleshoot the issue without charging you time and material for everything they do. The changes you made relieve them of any responsibilty for problems that could be seen as directly related, which is certainly the case here. They probably suggested Buckhead because that dealer chooses to sell Kleemann upgrades and their staff is more familiar with your car's current configuration. If the problem turns out to be the manifold bolts loosening up (they have to be replaced along with the gaskets at that time) then you may get that covered under warranty. Problem is that your mods make diagnosing the problem more difficult and most dealers will blame you as that is the path of least resistance. Don't think that MBUSA will come to the rescue either as you are more likely to make the situation worse having them involved.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:30 PM

C63 AMG
I had the same issue with my original MHP file.

The IM Gaskets would be the 1st thing I would check. However in my case they did not fix the issue.

I wont get into much detail but after talking with the MHP's new tuner during our dyno session my issue was 100% due to the tunesand nothing hardware related.

The C63's stock ecu file has settings pertaining to the TB only opening a certain percentage. An aftermarket tune obviously corrects this "detune" the car comes with from the factory. The issue stems from the incorrect metering of air. For whatever reason a lot of these files didn't have proper compensation for the increased airflow thus giving false "lean" conditions due to the file limiting the amount of airflow it can meter.

After the new file was flashed I have had absolutely 0 lean codes and the driveability is vastly improved at part throttle.

Kent
Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGFTW
I had the same issue with my original MHP file.

The IM Gaskets would be the 1st thing I would check. However in my case they did not fix the issue.

I wont get into much detail but after talking with the MHP's new tuner during our dyno session my issue was 100% due to the tunesand nothing hardware related.

The C63's stock ecu file has settings pertaining to the TB only opening a certain percentage. An aftermarket tune obviously corrects this "detune" the car comes with from the factory. The issue stems from the incorrect metering of air. For whatever reason a lot of these files didn't have proper compensation for the increased airflow thus giving false "lean" conditions due to the file limiting the amount of airflow it can meter.

After the new file was flashed I have had absolutely 0 lean codes and the driveability is vastly improved at part throttle.

Kent

Hmm, I have never seen anyone getting leans codes from the tune...

This is interesting.. So the ECU didn't have the correct capability to monitor the increase in airflow programmed?

Wouldn't this be a common problem that everyone with a tune would encounter?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I would get the lean code when I remove the charcoals. But its very odd other OE tuned C63s dont have this problem.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63
Hmm, I have never seen anyone getting leans codes from the tune...

This is interesting.. So the ECU didn't have the correct capability to monitor the increase in airflow programmed?

Wouldn't this be a common problem that everyone with a tune would encounter?
I wouldn't say it is common. Like Jon said some people will get the code from something as simple as removing the charcoals.

I had MB look at my car a few times and they decided to replace a singular maf sensor on that cylinder bank. After 50miles the problem still persisted. They then called me to let me know my old MAF (that was sent back to MB for testing) came back with 0 problems.

In my case the new tuner was able to raise the threshold for max calculated airflow and the problems have completely went away since.

My advice to the OP would be.
1. Put your stock filters and charcoals back in and double check for any intake leaks and make sure everything is tight. Do a battery pull and put some miles on the car and see if the issue persist.
2. Have the dealership check the IM gaskets.
3. Send the ecu back to Kleeman and have them reflash it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 PM

C63
Just to let you know the car is under warranty due to the parts being installed by a Certified Mercedes dealership, Buckhead outside Atlanta. They have a performance shop. That's where the work was done but I got it out of Knoxville. I found out today that they hadn't smoked it for leaks. Well it has been now and no leaks. MB is going to call again in the morning. Here I go again.
Erich
Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Try contacting Kleeman.

Have they checked the purge valve? (for fumes from the gas tank)

It can get stuck open and is a simple fix...
Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM

C63
Try contacting Kleeman.

Have they checked the purge valve? (for fumes from the gas tank)

It can get stuck open and is a simple fix...
I have. Get bunch of guys and ready to help. All I have to do is call.

I called Knoxville MB late yesterday and ask if they had run a smoke test to check for vacuum leaks and was told no they hadn't. I don't think they are capable of working on a C63.

Last edited by ergon; 02-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
K so no one has even done a test to see if the IM is leaking??

Guys here spray lighter fluid or something really flammable around the seal and have another guy check the idle.. IF it flutters, then the gasket is leaking..
Old 02-16-2012, 02:52 PM

C63 AMG
K so no one has even done a test to see if the IM is leaking??

Guys here spray lighter fluid or something really flammable around the seal and have another guy check the idle.. IF it flutters, then the gasket is leaking..
You have to be careful using this method. The bottom of our airboxes have a hole in them where they snap into place. Spray the starting fluid in this area and it will make the idle jump just as if there was a leak. Ask me how I know
Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
What I noticed is when removing filters. Its easy for the left-drivers side filter gets pinched easily. Which tears the rubber seal on filter. In order to prevent this. Remove the whole filter box and put the filter snuggly on to filter box and proceed.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
What I noticed is when removing filters. Its easy for the left-drivers side filter gets pinched easily. Which tears the rubber seal on filter. In order to prevent this. Remove the whole filter box and put the filter snuggly on to filter box and proceed.
I did that cause I got one pinched right there.

I got a call from MB and was told they're putting an A.O.M. on it, Area Operations Manager.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by ergon
Just to let you know the car is under warranty due to the parts being installed by a Certified Mercedes dealership, Buckhead outside Atlanta. They have a performance shop.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that isn't how it works.

If MBUSA decides that your modifications are somehow causing the issue(s), the fact that MB Buckhead sold the parts and did the install will have zero bearing on your vehicle's warranty status for this specific repair. Even worse, MBUSA might decide to "status 8" your vehicle, requiring all future repairs to be inspected by a regional rep before any warranty-repair approvals are granted.

Ultimately, the Buckhead SA you work with and/or dealership can go to bat for you, as a goodwill gesture, but if MBUSA says no - the dealership can decide to eat the cost of the repairs out of their own pocket (unlikely), or tell you sorry you're on your own (more likely).

Kleemann has a 1 year, unlimited mileage warrany on it's wares... IIRC. Not sure how long you've had the stuff on the car, however.

Good luck, and hope it's an easy fix for you.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:14 PM

C63
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that isn't how it works.

If MBUSA decides that your modifications are somehow causing the issue(s), the fact that MB Buckhead sold the parts and did the install will have zero bearing on your vehicle's warranty status for this specific repair. Even worse, MBUSA might decide to "status 8" your vehicle, requiring all future repairs to be inspected by a regional rep before any warranty-repair approvals are granted.

Ultimately, the Buckhead SA you work with and/or dealership can go to bat for you, as a goodwill gesture, but if MBUSA says no - the dealership can decide to eat the cost of the repairs out of their own pocket (unlikely), or tell you sorry you're on your own (more likely).

Kleemann has a 1 year, unlimited mileage warrany on it's wares... IIRC. Not sure how long you've had the stuff on the car, however.

Good luck, and hope it's an easy fix for you.
Are a District Rep. for MBUSA? You're not a bearer of bad news.

Vehicle was purchased in Chattanooga.

Vehicle was taken to Buckhead outside of Atlanta for they have an approved MBUSA performance shop. That's where all work was performed and approved for coverage under MBUSA vehicle warranty. The work had to be performed by Certified Mercedes Techs in an Mercedes Approved Performance Shop.

The surgeon who owned the vehicle traded the car to Mercedes of Knoxville where it was CPOed and sold to me.

I have the paper trail. I know what it reads. Make sure you have your paper work. I'm a retired federal agent. I know the facts on this issue.

What position do you have with Mercedes?

I just spoke with Cory yesterday. And will speak with him again today. I think the world of him and his business. Oh, that's Kleemann.

Sorry son but you don't know what you're talking about. Mercedes can't revoke work they have approved. I had nothing done to the car but I've got the paper work.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 PM

09 C63
you have written confirmation that MB will cover an after marker ECU tune under the MB warranty. if thats true, sign me up. can you post the written confirmation?

Vehicle was taken to Buckhead outside of Atlanta for they have an approved MBUSA performance shop. That's where all work was performed and approved for coverage under MBUSA vehicle warranty. The work had to be performed by Certified Mercedes Techs in an Mercedes Approved Performance Shop.

The surgeon who owned the vehicle traded the car to Mercedes of Knoxville where it was CPOed and sold to me.

I have the paper trail. I know what it reads. Make sure you have your paper work. I'm a retired federal agent. I know the facts on this issue.

I just spoke with Cory yesterday. And will speak with him again today. I think the world of him and his business. Oh, that's Kleemann.

Sorry son but you don't know what you're talking about. Mercedes can't revoke work they have approved. I had nothing done to the car but I've got the paper work.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:38 PM

C63
All the work was done here, http://www.mercedesofbuckhead.com/AM...nceCentre.aspx

Call them up. They will answer all your questions. I'm looking for help not ignorance.

What's an "after maker"?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM

C63
"Our staff is trained and certified by Mercedes-Benz. All work is done right here in our state-of-the-art Performance Center. As a member of SEMA, we stay updated on new products and accessories. We are the only authorized AMG, Renntech, Carlsson, Kleemann, Evo Sport installer in the entire Southeast. And, if that’s not enough to get your heart racing, were Kleemann’s number one dealer in North America." Buckhead
Old 02-17-2012, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
I AM AN F.B.I. AGENT!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
You never answered my question, if a test on the IM was performed? You were giving conflicting answers so I am not sure what is correct.

I'm willing to bet its the IM mine didn't go for 40,000km then started leaking.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:15 PM

C63 AMG

So if you know it all why ask for help on a forum then ignore everyone's responses? Enjoy your car, sounds like you got a great deal
Old 02-17-2012, 05:33 PM

09 C63
Sorry, didn't mean to cause offense, its just that this would be very unusual, i have never heard of car company warrantying after market products. even with BMW and Dinan, the "warranty" is with Dinan not BMW. if your $30K engine implodes, who pays for it? if this dealership is prepared to pick up the tab then i think is great news.

All the work was done here, http://www.mercedesofbuckhead.com/AM...nceCentre.aspx

Call them up. They will answer all your questions. I'm looking for help not ignorance.

What's an "after maker"?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Problems & no one knows.