Sponsored by:

For those of you who have black trims!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like The Stig
For those of you who have black trims!!

Im blacking out my window trim this weekend and wanted to know what you guys did with the chrome molding on the door handles?? Could i see a picture of your cars with the chrome trim in black specially if you have a palladium silver like mine . If not a picture of any car with a blacked out window, grill and rear trim is appreciated. Do you guys recommend me wrapping my whole front grill + emblem or should i leave it chrome????

Here is my car for reference and advice...

Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 AM

2014 C63
I like a little chrome. I blacked out the rear trim, window trim, and grill, but left the emblem, handles and fog housing. My car is black though.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by pcasso87
Im blacking out my window trim this weekend and wanted to know what you guys did with the chrome molding on the door handles?? Could i see a picture of your cars with the chrome trim in black specially if you have a palladium silver like mine . If not a picture of any car with a blacked out window, grill and rear trim is appreciated. Do you guys recommend me wrapping my whole front grill + emblem or should i leave it chrome????

See my avatar. The grill is a major PIA. Take it off (it's easy) and bring it to a shop to have done and don't forget them to do the little chrome trim above the grill connected to the hood. Top window trim just pops off with hard plastic tools. This is easier to wrap off the car as it's too long with too many weird curves in it to wrap on the car. The lower window trim you can cheat and wrap on the car but it does shrink and you might end up with some of the chrome showing on the ends. The hardest part is getting it around the side view mirrors. To play is safe you should take it off (this involves taking the side view mirrors off). It's time consuming but looks better. The rear chrome strip on the trunk can be done on the car. As for the emblems. Two schools of thought. Take them off. Sand and Paint. Then get two sided sticky form take and reattach. The PIA is to get them to line up. The other solution is black Plastidip spray on. Sounds scary but you just mask off an area around the emblems and spray it on. Let it dry a few hours then using a very sharp exacto knife score around the emblems at a parallel angle to the body work. I plastidipped sprayed the side emblems too.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 02-25-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:51 AM

C63
Originally Posted by twelvehundred
I like a little chrome. I blacked out the rear trim, window trim, and grill, but left the emblem, handles and fog housing. My car is black though.
^^ Agree!!! That's exactly what I did. Just a little chrome to give that luxury feel. Glad you also didn't fully murdah out.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Replacing those orange reflectors will make a big difference.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:54 AM

Like The Stig
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
See my avatar. The grill is a major PIA. Take it off (it's easy) and bring it to a shop to have done and don't forget them to do the little chrome trim above the grill connected to the hood. Top window trim just pops off with hard plastic tools. This is easier to wrap off the car as it's too long with too many weird curves in it to wrap on the car. The lower window trim you can cheat and wrap on the car but it does shrink and you might end up with some of the chrome showing on the ends. The hardest part is getting it around the side view mirrors. To play is safe you should take it off (this involves taking the side view mirrors off). It's time consuming but looks better. The rear chrome strip on the trunk can be done on the car. As for the emblems. Two schools of thought. Take them off. Sand and Paint. Then get two sided sticky form take and reattach. The PIA is to get them to line up. The other solution is black Plastidip spray on. Sounds scary but you just mask off an area around the emblems and spray it on. Let it dry a few hours then using a very sharp exacto knife score around the emblems at a parallel angle to the body work. I plastidipped sprayed the side emblems too.

Thanks for the tip man ill take the grill of then, what did you do with the chrome door handle moldings?? And does the side upper trim just pop off and pop in just with a little force from some plastic tools?

Originally Posted by Even Money
Replacing those orange reflectors will make a big difference.

Who makes these, and what color do you think would look better, clear or smoked??

KEEP THE PICS COMING GUYS!! Please
Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Evosport or eBay. I would get the paint matched reflectors.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:44 AM

Like The Stig
Originally Posted by Even Money
Evosport or eBay. I would get the paint matched reflectors.
Just got some ebay ones, how much of a pita is taking the old ones out? Im guessing take wheels off, work through the fender? or do i need to remove the bumper?
Old 02-25-2012, 12:35 PM

'12 C63 AMG,'11 Lexus RX450H,'10 VW Routan,'09 E92 ///M3 (Sold),'07 E85 Z4 ///M Roadster (Sold)

I think your car looks SWEET is it is...
However, I agree with those about the side markers.. I just replaced mine, and I am NO mechanic in any way shape or form. It literally took me 10 minutes... and it looks SO much better..
Good luck
Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
Looking at doing some plastidiping myself, good info guys, keep it coming.

Ya the orange side markers are a must, somewhat easy to get at from under the hood depending on the size of your arms/hands Got my smoked ones off of eBay, not quite as tight fitting as the oem's but there ok.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:14 PM

12 MB C63
anyone done pasticdip on the grille?
Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by AMGFANs
anyone done pasticdip on the grille?
Yes I have.. My car is dirty but will try and send you a pick later today.

Its fairly easy to peel of if you don't like it.

Last edited by sighting; 02-26-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Just got some ebay ones, how much of a pita is taking the old ones out? Im guessing take wheels off, work through the fender? or do i need to remove the bumper?
Very Easy.
1.Turn the front wheels.
2.Pull the 4 retainer pins in the wheel well liner.
3.You can reach up behind and disconnect the harness
4.Pop the reflector out. Some have reported a small screw that needs to be removed, but they are the minority.
5.Reverse process for installation.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:41 PM

'12 C63 AMG,'11 Lexus RX450H,'10 VW Routan,'09 E92 ///M3 (Sold),'07 E85 Z4 ///M Roadster (Sold)
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Very Easy.
1.Turn the front wheels.
2.Pull the 4 retainer pins in the wheel well liner.
3.You can reach up behind and disconnect the harness
4.Pop the reflector out. Some have reported a small screw that needs to be removed, but they are the minority.
5.Reverse process for installation.
No need to remove anything... well, I didn't.
I just simply popped the hood and did it from the inside.
"It's easy...
1. You can reach them by hand after opening the hood
2. Unscrew the light bulb/connector.
3. Pop out old reflector.
4. Connect new reflector w/ light bulb...
5. Pop in new reflector.

I didn't have a clue before I did mine, but once the hood was up...was easy to figure out.

Here's the DIY link
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...eflectors.html
or if you Google "C63 side marker DIY" there are many links
It's as easy as 1-2-3.. or 1-2
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Wow! That would have been a lot easier. I'll try that next time.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Wow! That would have been a lot easier. I'll try that next time.
Yea.. took me literally 10 minutes to do both
Old 03-25-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Can anyone instruct me how to remove the chrome trunk handle trim? I want to drop it off for a flat black paint job.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by PatSC23
Can anyone instruct me how to remove the chrome trunk handle trim? I want to drop it off for a flat black paint job.
Just wrap in with 3M. Takes about 15 minutes. Alot easier than painting and no R&R
Old 03-28-2012, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Just wrap in with 3M. Takes about 15 minutes. Alot easier than painting and no R&R
yea i realized this after i saw in depth how hard it was to remove