C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

I Got A Ticket... Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
Originally Posted by VaclavSV
Hi everyone. Today I was handed my first ticket in the C63 -Ive had it for 7 months now. Anyways The weather is nice here in Waterloo and I was out driving in S+ and in SPORT, on relatively bald snow tires. As I accelerated off the light I got a bit of tire squeal (like 1 second if that). I didn't go past the speed limit. The next thing I know from 5 cars back there is a police car with his lights on and he pulls me over. He told me I was 'Stunt Driving' which is a really bad offence, as well that I was easily '50km/h over the speed limit' which impounds the car. (There was no way I was.. Ever!) I would've been over 100km/h which I definitely wasn't, and he didn't have me on radar or laser since he had to weave around cars to get behind me. I wasn't speeding at all since I wanted people to see me in the car lol. I tried to explain to him humbly that I mistakenly had the traction off and Im on used tires. I came back and issued me a $110 ticket for 'Unnecessary Noise' and told me my option. He told me to keep my driving to the track, which I told him I do, and it would never happen again. He was shocked I owned this type of car. Should I take the ticket and just pay it or go to a hearing with the judge and try to explain that I had no intention on creating the noise? Is there an acceptable level for noise such as a decibel reading? Has anyone had any experience with these types of tickets? Does it affect my insurance?

Heres a picture:

Guess your not from Waterloo that's a classic police hideout spot
You could always try option number 2 on the back of the ticket... worth the time to write a letter... but you have to be very careful how you write the letter... more then likely a place like X copper will charge you about 500 bucks but if its your first offense they might be able to make it go away...

Oh by the way that myth about them not showing up... they show up 98% of the time when summoned to court.

Noise, smoke, bells and horns

Muffler

75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1).

Same

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to,

(a) a motor-assisted bicycle with an attached motor that is driven entirely by electricity; or

(b) a motor vehicle that is driven entirely by electricity. 2009, c. 5, s. 31.

Fumes from engine

(3) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (3).

Unnecessary noise

(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (4).

Alarm bell to be sounded

(5) Every motor vehicle, motor assisted bicycle and bicycle shall be equipped with an alarm bell, gong or horn, which shall be kept in good working order and sounded whenever it is reasonably necessary to notify pedestrians or others of its approach. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (5).

Prohibition as to use of siren horn

(6) No vehicle other than an ambulance, fire or police department vehicle, public utility emergency vehicle or vehicle operated by the Ministry shall be equipped with a siren horn or a device producing a sound which so nearly resembles that produced by a siren horn as to deceive or confuse. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (6).

Last edited by andrew c230k; 03-11-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Originally Posted by andrew c230k

Oh by the way that myth about them not showing up... they show up 98% of the time when summoned to court.
I agree with you on this... my friend who is a cop told me they now have to attend every court date, or else they will get a warning from their supervisor.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by Roswell
I agree with you on this... my friend who is a cop told me they now have to attend every court date, or else they will get a warning from their supervisor.
Ive heard this too. What Ive also heard can be done in light of this is have their mother show up for them on the court date and explain to the judge that the person convicted became really sick and is interested in a later court date. The court date is moved and the officer doesn't get in trouble if he doesn't show the second time, and thus rarely does. Ive only heard of this, and have no clue if it can actually happen.

ps. I remember the old days when my parents could over pay for a ticket by cheque, and never cash the cheque that came in the mail settling the difference, thus never completing the transaction and avoiding the conviction showing up on their record. Eventually everyone caught on and this doesn't work anymore

Last edited by VaclavSV; 03-12-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
Originally Posted by Roswell
The only way they no show is if they have something more important at the same time... which never happens anymore.

Best bet is to just pay it and move on... your lucky he didn't impound your car and give you racing ticket... learn from your mistake and don't let it happen again.

You can try and fight everything in 75 (4) but you'll never beat this "nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise" its so vague that on purpose.

Last edited by andrew c230k; 03-12-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:47 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Mate I reckon it's either Pay or Pray. If you pay what is peanuts, it is over, if you don't, you have to fiddle around in the court system and you have no idea of the outcome. Remember, 2 parties go to court both convinced they will win and one always loses.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Unecessary noise? so what exactley is a necessary noise?

you have a 6.3L AMG engine. was he expecting calmness.?

I hate cops. This guy is just jealous that he cant drive what you are driving and wants to punish you for it. What an A$$hole

Just pay for it man

watch out for those losers next time bro. I feel you

Last edited by jacob502; 03-12-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
1) Request a trial date, plead not guilty
2) Request disclosure
3) Prepare defence based on his notes. How did he know it was your car that squealed? Did he just assume it was you that made the noise because you drive a good looking/fast car, and not a pick-up truck or some other vehicle nearby? Did he see your tires spin? (How could he see them spin if he wasn't perpendicular to your wheels?) If he was truly several cars back, he could only assume you're the guilty party, no? Hopefully you didn't admit guilt (sounds like you did), and if so, hopefully he didn't note it.

Assumptions are not facts, and you cannot be found guilty based on assumptions so long as you disprove them.

TicketCombat.com

Last edited by YYZ-E55; 03-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by callmiro
You gunned it off the lights with a cop behind you

You get what you deserved... You're not gonna get any sympathy in here

Wipe off your tears, Sally, and pay the ticket

There are no points
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Don't wanna sound like a a55hole but you had it coming....
Next time dont try to impress a bunch of guys with our "engine noise".
Btw you dont have to go past the speed limit to get a ticket for exhibition of speed.
+++1111 All your show boating and dickingaround like a 17 year who just got his licence....you deserve it. Now pay it and stop acting like the Canadian Clown you are and making other Canadian members feel ashamed you live in their province...
Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
+++1111 All your show boating and dickingaround like a 17 year who just got his licence....you deserve it. Now pay it and stop acting like the Canadian Clown you are and making other Canadian members feel ashamed you live in their province...
I'm more ashamed that cops are wasting time on things like this rather than dealing with real issues. We've all done a burnout or two in public. A warning would have sufficed, and the cop could have spent the time he wasted writing this ticket (and subsequently the time wasted showing up in court) working on a real crime.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
Womp womp...pay the ticket and think twice before you show off next time.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
If there's points involved, I'd take it to court. In my experience they ALWAYS reduce the charge. if it's just a fine, pay it who cares.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by melmanc55
What are you doing squealing the tire from a stop? These cars are meant for the TRACK! Keep it on the track! You could hurt somebody.
Did this really just happen?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by YYZ-E55
1) Request a trial date, plead not guilty
2) Request disclosure
3) Prepare defence based on his notes. How did he know it was your car that squealed? Did he just assume it was you that made the noise because you drive a good looking/fast car, and not a pick-up truck or some other vehicle nearby? Did he see your tires spin? (How could he see them spin if he wasn't perpendicular to your wheels?) If he was truly several cars back, he could only assume you're the guilty party, no? Hopefully you didn't admit guilt (sounds like you did), and if so, hopefully he didn't note it.

Assumptions are not facts, and you cannot be found guilty based on assumptions so long as you disprove them.

TicketCombat.com
This is great advice! Thank you. I have already decided to go to court and will be able to review his notes. I have found out that the officer is just a patrol officer so he has no mounted radar or laser in the car, and doesn't give out very many driving related charges. Basically I either get no charge or pay the fine. IMO its worth it to try and remove it from my driving record. We'll se what happens 6-8 months from now.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Here's another perspective:
You showed off and got caught. Not a big deal, it happens to all of us. After all, we did not buy a prius.
The cop was nice enough to only give you a minor ticket.
You go to court, try to fight it, 50/50 chance you get your way. Believe me, they have heard all the excuses.
However, the cop will obviously not be happy to have to waste his time as he was in fact nice and you are not validating his mercy by trying to fight the lesser charge.
This will probably lead the cop to feel that he will not be so nice next time...
Help yourself and the other gearheads out there. Just pay the ticket (not even worth your time or any one else).
Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emericr
Here's another perspective:
You showed off and got caught. Not a big deal, it happens to all of us. After all, we did not buy a prius.
You go to court, try to fight it, 50/50 chance you get your way. Believe me, they have heard all the excuses.
However, the cop will obviously not be happy to have to waste his time as he was in fact nice and you are not validating his mercy by trying to fight the lesser charge.
This will probably lead the cop to feel that he will not be so nice next time...
Help yourself and the other gearheads out there. Just pay the ticket (not even worth your time or any one else).
I understand this and believe me Ive taken this perspective into account. Realistically Im probably only in Waterloo for another year, and I really don't drive recklessly to warrant many convictions. The only two possible tickets I could get are this and on the rare occasion 15 over. Possibly another stupid one that Ive never heard of. I do not consider myself lucky because I wasn't putting anyones life in danger! A warning would've been sufficient, however he felt it was necessary to threaten me upon seeing a young guy in a nice car. I understand he was doing his job and probably thinks I drive much more recklessly than I do, hence Ill just go and pay the fine. Ill be happy when he see that Im fighting this so he can look back and see that it he was targeting someone based on their appearance and car. If he holds a grudge for it thats his decision. I respect him for pulling me over, Im just going to do everything possible to remove the ticket. He may have even written his notes wrong that will throw the charge out right away. Who knows. Like I said its worth the time to me. I live in Ontario where convictions play a huge role in insurance and the likely hood of an officer reducing a separate charge. Having fewer convictions is always a benefit.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by emericr
Wait, what? How was the cop "nice"? If the driver's story is to be believed, the cop threatened the driver with a charge that was not substantiated (stunt driving), and then gave him the largest ticket possible under the actual circumstances.

If the cop was an integrative thinker as you suggest, he would have given a stern warning and proceeded on his way. This approach would have saved him time, it would have given the driver a moment of pause, and it would have saved me, an Ontario taxpayer, the cost of paying the cop to show up in court for a bogus charge.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:29 PM

2009 C63
Ive heard this too. What Ive also heard can be done in light of this is have their mother show up for them on the court date and explain to the judge that the person convicted became really sick and is interested in a later court date.(
Seriously?! That's pretty lame to have your mommy bail you out of a $110 ticket. No self-respecting man or woman should resort to such a pathetic tactic - just man up. You were showboating and got caught. Like others have already mentioned, you got LUCKY in that the officer gave you a bit of a break - thank your lucky stars that you didn't get impounded.

Grow some ***** & admit fault, pay the ticket, lesson learned and move on.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by derspi
Seriously?! That's pretty lame to have your mommy bail you out of a $110 ticket. No self-respecting man or woman should resort to such a pathetic tactic - just man up. You were showboating and got caught. Like others have already mentioned, you got LUCKY in that the officer gave you a bit of a break - thank your lucky stars that you didn't get impounded.

Grow some ***** & admit fault, pay the ticket, lesson learned and move on.
HAHA aren't you just so tough! That is in no way how I plan on proceeding with this charge. If you read I said Ive heard of people going that route, but have no idea if it works. For the last time I did not do a burnout, there was seriously minor wheel spin. He had nowhere near sufficient evidence to impound my car which is why he didn't, believe me he would've if he could. Him threatening a serious charge was his way of being a Pr1ck.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM

2009 C63
Him threatening a serious charge was his way of being a Pr1ck.
Not saying that's right but that's life. The sooner you realize this, the easier your life will be. Not all cops are dicks but your insignificant little court case over some petty ticket isn't about to change a cop who truly believes a young guy in a nice car is up to no good. I don't need to be a tough guy, experience tells me that what you're doing is cowardly - we were all young once, believe me I've been in your position.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
What are you doing squealing the tire from a stop? These cars are meant for the TRACK! Keep it on the track! You could hurt somebody.
LOL at comments like this.

Kill someone from a slight burn out. Sometimes it just happens with high tq cars. You don't mean it to happen.

To the OP, you are doing the right thing to fight it. Awhile back my father got pulled over for aggressive acceleration, in a Buick no less. The cops have their quota to fill.

I have been pulled over for peeling out before once. Just got the exhaust done on my SRT-4. Pulled out of the shop, and lit it up for a good 100feet. While doing a cop was turning around the corner at the same time. He pulled me over, and said... I just got two questions. What the hell are you doing? and what hell is this thing?

I explained how I just got the exhaust work done, and what it was etc. He let me go with a warning. He said, "Just make sure there is not a cop coming around the corner next time you do that."

Pretty funny, imo.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:08 AM

2009 CLS63 AMG
dude pay for it and walk away. are you kidding this guy could have f*cked you so hard. it's canada after all. they take you to jail for that stuff.
speculate all you want it's happened to my friends first hand for driving 50KM over.. that's 30MPH over the speed limit. they don't take it lightly
Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
This sounds a little bit priestly to me...I mean, what he was doing was meant to be done to this car.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Mate, as I asked you before....Is your exhaust standard?......If it is, I don't see how you can be booked for excessive noise, because the exhaust, if it is the original factory item, HAS to be legal.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Djovovic63
This sounds a little bit priestly to me...I mean, what he was doing was meant to be done to this car.
I'm not passing judgement (as we have all done stuff like this) but to say the car was meant to do this is silly... so what... if it is illegal, it doesn't matter what the car was built to be able to do. The car was built to be able to go far in excess of the speed limit but that doesn't make it OK that it be driven that way on public streets. I can see it now... "Your Honour, I know I was driving 150mph in a 40mph zone but it's OK because the car was built to be able to do it... let me off or charge MB and not me "

In the OP's case, it does seem like the police officer was being a little harsh but I wasn't there to witness it so I can't comment with any relevance.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by Pickles
Mate, as I asked you before....Is your exhaust standard?......If it is, I don't see how you can be booked for excessive noise, because the exhaust, if it is the original factory item, HAS to be legal.
Cheers, Pickles.
You neglected to read the post. He was ticketed for peeling out of an intersection, not for excessive exhaust noise. How much tire squeal will never be known by us - just the OP and the officer that pulled him over will know. I have a hard time believing that it was a split second squeal though, otherwise it would not have caught the attention of the officer that was a few cars back. But like gthal mentioned, we can only speculate.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Got A Ticket... Need Advice!