Who's BS Got Taken for a Joyride?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
^^ Very well said Fung.

The point of this thread isn't about how much abuse our cars can handle... cuz i already stated test drive (not joy ride, I hope) are common after service.

This thread is about customer service. If the person involved would have created a new account & apologized... all would be good! But it sounds like lesson hasn't been learned & we are all crazy thinking what happened in the video is wrong. (assuming the identity of the new member SLS is related to the ppl in the vid)
Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible, 2014 Kia Sorento SXL AWD
Originally Posted by Fung63
your only complaint is why most people are pissed off to what has happened. It is 100% the reason that they took someone's car for a joyride. In a way, they abused their power (as a tech) to access the vehicle for their own enjoyment. This is why it is so wrong.

As for test driving and pushing it to the limit ... sure most of us will give the car a tough time especially if we are considering to buy an AMG. But again the dealer expects this and at the end of the year, the car is sold off as a DEMO. All parties involved knows what is going on.

As for the people that do bring their cars to Star Motors. I worry for you. If the techs lack the common sense to treat customers' cars with respect, I wonder what they do on a day to day basis for your services.

What I would like to see done is the techs coming out and apologizing. Apologizing obviously to the owner of the car, and if they have the ***** for it, apologizing to the greater enthusiast community. Own up to their mistake. I believe that will be a nice closure then to this whole fiasco
Not all of these vehicles are sold off as DEMOs... I drove my E55 pretty hard... If I hadn't purchased it after my test drive, I am sure someone else would have (another interested person actually showed up asking about the vehicle while I was signing the paperwork)... The E63 that I test drove I see on the street all the time and have talked with the owner... It wasn't sold as a demo....

This is partly the reason I won't take my vehicle to any of the local dealerships (even mine) unless it is warranty work (that and how the fact that the tech forgot an o-ring on my wife's vehicle during an oil change and they ended up replacing the engine under warranty with only 20k on the dash) or something that I don't do myself (I do oil changes, spark plugs, brakes, tranny flushes [complete flushes], filters, belts, etc.). And if it is in for service, I watch the vehicle the entire drive and go on the test drive both before and after the service...

I mean, I get that it was wrong, but I guarantee it happens on a regular basis... Not only does this happen at MB dealers, I bet that this type of thing happens at most dealerships as well as just plain old service stations... They are just smart enough not to post it on YouTube...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
If the car was taken out without permission from the owner (in this case the dealer owned the car till it was signed over to the customer), than this may possibly be considered by some as vandalism and mischief. I'm not sure as we don't know the circumstances nor the standard practice at this dealership. I know at mine this would never happened.

If the dealership gave permission for the techs to "test drive" the car as a standard pre delivery practice than it's the sole responsibility of the dealer to set and enforce rules about how this it to be done.

I know at my dealer, after they perform mechanical work on any car, they do take it for a test drive to confirm success of the work. In my case I always wait for the car and accompany the tech on the drive as I too want to know if things were fixed right. I have never seen abuse.

Where the techs made the ethical error was to film it and post it. That puts the dealer in a very embarrassing position vis a vis the consumers and MB Canada in a PR dilemma.

In either case it's very dis-concerning for customers of this dealer and for that matter to all others as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C63S E1 (sold 2012 C63 AMG Sedan (Premium & APX)) & 09 C300 Sport 4Matic
Reminds me of the infamous "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" scene with the Ferrari.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Pit-Pony
Reminds me of the infamous "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" scene with the Ferrari.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Haha...
When I picked up the V, the salesman told me the break-in was doing a doughnut in the parking lot on the way out...
Old 04-15-2012, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
In general I don't think anyone is questioning the durability of the M156 engine. It's built with the highest German know how, ingenuity, work ethic and mechanical practice. The motor needs no break in, as it is run in at the factory where it is built.

Joy ride aside (already been discussed a billion times)....

Being a Black Series I'd be concerned about PROPERLY breaking in the MCT transmission and the LSD. It states in the owners manual to avoid kick down shifts for the first 1000kms and also avoid tire spin for the first 1000km if vehicle is equipped with a limited slip differential.

In the video it clearly shows they are not following factory Mercedes Benz recommended break in procedure for both items.

tisk tisk.

Last edited by Rsquad911; 04-15-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
The RR Supercharged has no break in..I wonder why?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM

(My car); 2012 vw golf TDI manual. (dads car) 2011 C63 Amg. P31. Carbon trim.LSD.
Originally Posted by SLS63AMG
For all the people on here who trashed the tech(s) who "quote/unquote" went for a joyride.... YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF HYPOCRITES!! Not one of you can tell me, given the chance, you wouldn't do the same, if not worse. Besides WATCH the vidio again. He didn't tailgate, he signaled for all turns, he didn't go over the train tacks excessively fast, or anything abusive to the car. How was any damage done? Was it a dirt road he was on? Did you hear rocks hiting the car? Stone chips etc? GIVE ME A BREAK!!! People need to get a life!! Its a MERCEDES BENZ!!! Its not a Ford, a GM or any other inferior product. It's an AMG made to handle a hell of a lot more abuse!! The REV limiter is just that!! A REV LIMITER!! IT PROTECTS THE ENGINE! DUH!!!

Besisdes its takes more then 1Km to do a proper PDI!!
There is a 1000 mile break in period on the cars for a reason. The engine is fine, but the transmission needs to be broken in. From what I can tell from that video, I think they did most of what Mercedes tells you NOT to do during Break-in period.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:18 PM

mb e350
oh jeez lol
Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Everyone seems overly concerned over whether the car was damaged or not. What i cannot fathom is how somebody can be so damn stupid. I'm confident they guys can't pay for a BS. What would've happened if they had crashed it? It wouldn't even have to be their fault, accidents happen. But how could they possibly explain it, let alone justify it? For me this is almost theft. The car was paid for and they had no right whatsoever to take it out. The fact whether or not it was damaged is moot. It's wrong either way.
For shame...
Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM

C63 AMG Black Series
As the owner of this car, I must say, Star Motors handled this situation quickly and professionally.

I received a call from their GM and Sales Manager, informing me of what happened. Because of their response to this unfortunate event, I am fully confident in the dealership and those running it. I still highly recommend Star Motors as a very competent and capable dealership.

As a business owner, I understand how people down the line can make poor judgement calls. It happens. What I do to deal with those situations is what reflects on what kind of company we are. Star Motors handled this very well. I am impressed.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:03 PM

c240
Originally Posted by Unclebunkie
As the owner of this car, I must say, Star Motors handled this situation quickly and professionally.

I received a call from their GM and Sales Manager, informing me of what happened. Because of their response to this unfortunate event, I am fully confident in the dealership and those running it. I still highly recommend Star Motors as a very competent and capable dealership.

As a business owner, I understand how people down the line can make poor judgement calls. It happens. What I do to deal with those situations is what reflects on what kind of company we are. Star Motors handled this very well. I am impressed.
thats good to hear.
Congrats on the car! I hope to see you on the streets of Ottawa
Old 04-15-2012, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad

Welcome home Doug!! Are you having fun yet? You picked it up yesterday I was told, call me so we can hook up and go for a little drive, your car is a beauty.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series

Thats great to hear! Did you get any incentives? (possibly Montreal GP tickets and some tires??!)

-Post some pictures!

Last edited by VaclavSV; 04-15-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM

c240
PM me when ever you guys and other fellow Ottawa members meet up. Ide love to come check out your rides!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV

Good to hear, and a huge congrats on a beautiful car
Old 04-15-2012, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Originally Posted by TheXenochrist
PM me when ever you guys and other fellow Ottawa members meet up. Ide love to come check out your rides!
No problem, Roswell is good at organizing such get togethers.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Unclebunkie, congratulation on ur new beast! And very happy to hear things are working out between u & Star. Enjoy in good health & I vote for an Ottawa AMG meet soon.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 1st amg
No problem, Roswell is good at organizing such get togethers.
Nick, count on me for organizing a meet.. We're long overdue! Lol

I'll post a new thread soon for next month meet when my work schedule lighten up a bit. Hope my new HRE will be on by then.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Welcome home Doug!! Are you having fun yet? You picked it up yesterday I was told, call me so we can hook up and go for a little drive, your car is a beauty.
That would be an awesome sight to see an SLS & C63Black rolling back to back. *drool*
Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 PM

C63 AMG Black Series
Hey Nick. Yeah, drove it around a bit today. It's too cool out for the tires. I opted for the track package so they are summer performance tires. Not to happy with cool pavement.

How's the SLS? I kinda like that I have the only Black Series in town.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM

C63 AMG Black Series
I think people went a bit overboard on this forum. No doubt it bothered me a bit about the 'test drive' but Star was stellar in their handling of the situation, and in the end, it's a car. I tear up the tires on my GTR all the time. I push it's limits. I'll do the same with the AMG. I bought this car to drive the snot out of it. Come to Calabogie MP and see.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
Congrats on your acquisition! I hope the joyride didn't do any damage or future damage to your car! It's beautiful!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I think people went a bit overboard on this forum. No doubt it bothered me a bit about the 'test drive' but Star was stellar in their handling of the situation, and in the end, it's a car. I tear up the tires on my GTR all the time. I push it's limits. I'll do the same with the AMG. I bought this car to drive the snot out of it. Come to Calabogie MP and see.
Glad to see that you're happy with their response, but other than an apologetic phone call, what about their response was "stellar"?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Who's BS Got Taken for a Joyride?