Sponsored by:

Kleemann ECU tuning is invisible to MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
Kleemann ECU tuning is invisible to MB

I learned something that may interest some of you (may be old news for others).

I'm returning my C63 as my lease is expiring. Last week, I went to a MB dealership (in a Toronto suburb) who is mod friendly to flash my ecu back to factory setting in order to avoid any trouble with MB in returning my car. After 5 minutes in the shop, my contact tells me that his computer reads my ecu as having the current version. So the computer could not reflash the ecu as the tuning was invisible through the normal procedure. He said that he knows that Kleemann, Renntech and a few others don't leave any "trace". Finally he told me that unless MB looks for a tune by getting the ecu out and testing different values, they cannot know by just running their usual diagnostic.

So for those who worry about warranty, maybe it is safer than initially thought...
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EuroCharged 2012 C63 BS Coupè
To take this a little further>. MB can only flash an ECU that requires an update. So>>>if an ECU that is running current MB software is then tuned by ANY tuner MB will not be able to flash back to stock unless there is a newer software version update available. No update No Reflash

Make sense??
Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 PM

c63 amg
Originally Posted by NORTH 44 C63
To take this a little further>. MB can only flash an ECU that requires an update. So>>>if an ECU that is running current MB software is then tuned by ANY tuner MB will not be able to flash back to stock unless there is a newer software version update available. No update No Reflash

Make sense??
Is the eurocharged tune detectable by the dealer?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW X5M
it is old news. very few people know about it. Specially Europeans have better knowledge than NA guys in tuning concepts.

when you car is tuned by a dash or obd, the tuner only alters the maps without changing the version of the software. that is why it is invisible but the dealer can overwrite it even updating on same version then lost the tune.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
Finally he told me that unless MB looks for a tune by getting the ecu out and testing different values, they cannot know by just running their usual diagnostic.
This part is mentioned almost as a footnote, but IMHO is the piece to remember if you're concerned about a warranty issue.

Most guys worrying about warranty are most-concerned with some sort of catastrophic engine failure. If your M156 takes a dump, MBUSA (for those of us in the States) might require a thorough investigation of why the motor failed, including a physical inspection and test of the ECU. At that point, they would 100% for sure, no question, know that the vehicle was (or had been) tuned.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy
I learned something that may interest some of you (may be old news for others).

I'm returning my C63 as my lease is expiring. Last week, I went to a MB dealership (in a Toronto suburb) who is mod friendly to flash my ecu back to factory setting in order to avoid any trouble with MB in returning my car. After 5 minutes in the shop, my contact tells me that his computer reads my ecu as having the current version. So the computer could not reflash the ecu as the tuning was invisible through the normal procedure. He said that he knows that Kleemann, Renntech and a few others don't leave any "trace". Finally he told me that unless MB looks for a tune by getting the ecu out and testing different values, they cannot know by just running their usual diagnostic.

So for those who worry about warranty, maybe it is safer than initially thought...

Dude, that is applicable with all software tunes and not just Kleeman, Renntech, ETS...

Last edited by jacob502; 05-05-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
I wouldn't be too fooled. I agree the dealer will have a hard time finding the tune if they can at all. However, blow an engine and if MB investigates, they can absolutely find it. It all comes back to the fact that a tune won't be found in most all instances but if something goes wrong and MB wants to try and deny warranty they would be able to tell.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by gthal
I wouldn't be too fooled. I agree the dealer will have a hard time finding the tune if they can at all. However, blow an engine and if MB investigates, they can absolutely find it. It all comes back to the fact that a tune won't be found in most all instances but if something goes wrong and MB wants to try and deny warranty they would be able to tell.

No they wouldnt. Not without removing the ECU, which they have no right of doing. Do you recall an M156 motor being blown from a bad tune. I dont!

I dont know how it is in the USA, but in Qatar if the fault or the problem had nothing to do with the modification, then you wouldnt be denied warranty.

Last week my friend took his 2011 fully modded C63 ( LT headers+tune) with a secondary air pump problem. They saw all the mods on his car and they did not complain and replaced his air pump under his warraty

I heard how the douchebags at the dealers in the USA are. They want a blame a malfunction light bulp switch on the tune. A bunch of idiots. you guys should complain to Germany, they should not be doing this kind of crap.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by jacob502
No they wouldnt. Not without removing the ECU, which they have no right of doing. Do you recall an M156 motor being blown from a bad tune. I dont!

I dont know how it is in the USA, but in Qatar if the fault or the problem had nothing to do with the modification, then you wouldnt be denied warranty.

Last week my friend took his 2011 fully modded C63 ( LT headers+tune) with a secondary air pump problem. They saw all the mods on his car and they did not complain and replaced his air pump under his warraty

I heard how the douchebags at the dealers in the USA are. They want a blame a malfunction light bulp switch on the tune. A bunch of idiots. you guys should complain to Germany, they should not be doing this kind of crap.
If a C63 was towed in to a Mercedes dealer in Qatar with a catastrophic motor failure, the dealership has no right to remove the ECU as part of their diagnostic analysis? That seems odd.

Here, in the U.S. the warranty protection you describe exists under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

If you add a supercharger, but your suspension and wheels are 100% stock and you get a leaking shock - they can't deny your warranty repair due to the supercharger.

Basically, they have to prove that the modification caused the failure. In reality, if the modification is suspected as the cause, they're likely to deny and one would have to fight to get it covered. As such, when you think about it, an aftermarket ECU tune could logically void the entire powertrain warranty - at least, if a dealership wanted to really be tough about it, they could make that case and it'd be a huge headache for the vehicle's owner.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by jacob502

My point is not whether they would try to find a tune or not, it is that they could if they really wanted to. Impact on warranty aside. If people are doing tunes on the basis that the tune is possible to find then that is bad info. If they are doing it on the basis that it is very difficult to find, no one will look anyway and, therefore, the risk is low... then that's fine.