C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ECU Tune gone wrong!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
ECU Tune gone wrong!!

I purchased a 2009 C63 a couple of months ago and have been following the mbworld forum for a little while now. This is my first post and I regret that it has to be in a negative context but I hope to save someone else from the $$ and the headaches that I have just been through. Let me also say, that I realize that there followers and fan boys of certain tuners and I will not argue back and forth over this thread with anyone. I will simply present the facts of my experience and you can decide if this information is helpful in any future decisions you make modifying your vehicle.

Based on the large power gains available, I knew that my first mod would be an ECU tune. To give you a little background, I am not new to modifying cars and/or computers for that matter. At a minimum, I have done ECU tunes to almost every car I have owned since the late 1980’s. Actually, most vehicles stored the ECU tuning on E-Proms back then. Additionally, I have 17 years experience as an Industrial automation systems engineer dealing with Controllers and Electronics very similar to automotive ECU’s. Being new to the C63, I joined this forum and did quite a bit of reading. I quickly noticed that were many tuners to choose from and based on the ¼ Mile times posted here on the forum I narrowed down my choice to Modern Horsepower (MHP). Turns out for me, MHP was the wrong choice! Read on, if your interested in my story.

After a couple of discussions with Andy of (MHP) I carefully removed and thoroughly packaged my ECU. My ECU had no less than 5 full wraps of bubble wrap around it and was securely packaged in a fairly large box. The Fedex guy watched me pack it and even made me keep adding bubble wrap. This thing was packed extremly well. Overkill, to say the least. I then shipped it off to MHP. The next Day, I received an email from MHP a.k.a Andrew Cluck stating the following “Just wanted to give you a heads up. ECU arrived, we unpacked and prepared to open and heard a rattle inside the ECU. Not sure if it was like this when you shipped or if FedEx played floor hockey with the box last night”. My first thought was how the hell was this thing damaged in shipping, it was so thoroughly wrapped that you could have literally have thrown it out of the 2nd floor window of an office building. I asked (MHP) Andy if there was any damage to the outside of the ECU case itself. He responded that there was “no” damage at all to the outside of the ecu. The damage was to something internal on the circuit board “looks like some kind of resistor” he said. Now I’m really suspicious… So, he heard a rattle and went ahead and opened it anyway? (Common sense say’s these ECU’s are capable of handling quite a bit of shock and vibration? The ECU is mounted just above and behind the front wheel. Think about that next time you hit a huge pothole or for that matter get into an accident with the vehicle… Does crap fall off the circuit Board in those situations? I don’t think so… Secondly, after having to buy a new ECU, I had a clear look a how Mercedes ships a new ECU? They sent my new ECU in a box barely bigger than the ECU itself and it had a couple of pieces of thin carboard wrapped around it. Believe me, if these things were as fragile as MHP claims, Mercedes would not be shipping them with so little protection…..) Aggrivated, and suspicious, I then asked Andy to provide both pictures of the shipping Box and the damage to the ECU which he did. After looking at the picture of the damaged component on the board I had a pretty strong feeling that this damage was done by MHP while opening the ECU. I sent the pictures to a few other tuners and some ECU repair shops and they all, without a doubt confirmed my thoughts. Most, laughed when I told them this damage was supposedly done in shipping and there was no damage to the ECU case itself. I was also told that these ECU are glued/bonded together pretty well from the factory and take a bit of caution, patience, and finesse to separate the cover from the body. More than likely, whatever MHP (Andy) was using to pry the case halves apart slipped into the inside and knocked the component off of the circuit board. After seeing the pictures, I then called MHP again and asked Andy directly if he accidentally damaged the ECU when opening it. Andy denied that he or MHP damaged the ECU. He then told me that he could not write to the ECU and that he would be sending it back to me broken….. Really?? Are you kidding me? Break a customers ECU, deny it, send it back and wash your hands of the situation.. Wow, that’s customer service!! (There were many more phone conversations and text messages over this matter. Some were heated.)

The next day, I receive an ECU back in the mail. I open the shipping box and begin to undo the screws of the cover of the ECU to inspect the damage myself. As I am undoing the screws, and before I can get the ECU open my phone rings. It’s Andy with MHP, “I sent you the wrong ECU back, it’s not yours” he states. Wow, really! How do you know that you broke mine and not someone elses then? Andy states that I need to send it back immediately because he gave me another customers ECU instead of mine. Luckily for me, I had taken a picture of my ECU when I pulled it out of the vehichle. I purposely did this to make sure that I got my ECU back and not someone else’s. I quickly confirm with the picture that this is the same ECU that I sent to MHP. I explain to Andy that the tag on this ECU matches the one in the photo that I took before sending it to MHP. He then say’s “I must have swapped the cover with someone else’s ECU”. Wow, MHP really has their shi* together. Mysteriously broken circuit board of ECU with no outer case damage, swapped ECU covers, posting under multiple user names online and a host of other shady information… Later on that evening, I tell Andy that I’m not sending this ECU back because the cover and all of the numbers on the label match the photo of the ECU I sent to MHP. After the fact, I also opened the cover and verified that the ECU I had in hand was indeed the ECU with the broken circuitry on the board. Additionally, I have since verified that this ECU was in fact my original ECU since my VIN was still in this ECU. I have no idea what Andy did with that other customers ECU, maybe he swapped covers with yet a third person.. All I know is that the ECU that came back t me was broken and had my VIN in it. Much more conversation went on with Andy and I over this matter and it has not been remedied by MHP. I have asked MHP to cover the cost of the new ECU, the TOW and charge for the local dealer to marry the new ECU that I had to purchase to my car. MHP continues to deny any wrongdoing but the evidence and shady stories from Andy speak for themselves. Hope you didn’t think I forgot you ANDY!! It’s been around a month, I gave you ample opportunity to make this right! Damaged in Shipping????? C’mon Andy….. Really!!!!!

Buyers Beware!

Last edited by immelman; 05-08-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Pics ?!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:55 PM

C63 AMG
Pic of Circuit Board

Pic of Circuit Board. Damaged component is just under one being pointed to with tool. You know, the one that looks like it got broken off from a tool hitting it.
Attached Thumbnails ECU Tune gone wrong!!-ecu1.jpg  

Last edited by immelman; 05-08-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by immelman
I purchased a 2009 C63 a couple of months ago and have been following the mbworld forum for a little while now. This is my first post and I regret that it has to be in a negative context but I hope to save someone else from the $$ and the headaches that I have just been through. Let me also say, that I realize that there followers and fan boys of certain tuners and I will not argue back and forth over this thread with anyone. I will simply present the facts of my experience and you can decide if this information is helpful in any future decisions you make modifying your vehicle.

Based on the large power gains available, I knew that my first mod would be an ECU tune. To give you a little background, I am not new to modifying cars and/or computers for that matter. At a minimum, I have done ECU tunes to almost every car I have owned since the late 1980’s. Actually, most vehicles stored the ECU tuning on E-Proms back then. Additionally, I have 17 years experience as an Industrial automation systems engineer dealing with Controllers and Electronics very similar to automotive ECU’s. Being new to the C63, I joined this forum and did quite a bit of reading. I quickly noticed that were many tuners to choose from and based on the ¼ Mile times posted here on the forum I narrowed down my choice to Modern Horsepower (MHP). Turns out for me, MHP was the wrong choice! Read on, if your interested in my story.

After a couple of discussions with Andy of (MHP) I carefully removed and thoroughly packaged my ECU. My ECU had no less than 5 full wraps of bubble wrap around it and was securely packaged in a fairly large box. The Fedex guy watched me pack it and even made me keep adding bubble wrap. This thing was packed extremly well. Overkill, to say the least. I then shipped it off to MHP. The next Day, I received an email from MHP a.k.a Andrew Cluck stating the following “Just wanted to give you a heads up. ECU arrived, we unpacked and prepared to open and heard a rattle inside the ECU. Not sure if it was like this when you shipped or if FedEx played floor hockey with the box last night”. My first thought was how the hell was this thing damaged in shipping, it was so thoroughly wrapped that you could have literally have thrown it out of the 2nd floor window of an office building. I asked (MHP) Andy if there was any damage to the outside of the ECU case itself. He responded that there was “no” damage at all to the outside of the ecu. The damage was to something internal on the circuit board “looks like some kind of resistor” he said. Now I’m really suspicious… So, he heard a rattle and went ahead and opened it anyway? (Common sense say’s these ECU’s are capable of handling quite a bit of shock and vibration? The ECU is mounted just above and behind the front wheel. Think about that next time you hit a huge pothole or for that matter get into an accident with the vehicle… Does crap fall off the circuit Board in those situations? I don’t think so… Secondly, after having to buy a new ECU, I had a clear look a how Mercedes ships a new ECU? They sent my new ECU in a box barely bigger than the ECU itself and it had a couple of pieces of thin carboard wrapped around it. Believe me, if these things were as fragile as MHP claims, Mercedes would not be shipping them with so little protection…..) Aggrivated, and suspicious, I then asked Andy to provide both pictures of the shipping Box and the damage to the ECU which he did. After looking at the picture of the damaged component on the board I had a pretty strong feeling that this damage was done by MHP while opening the ECU. I sent the pictures to a few other tuners and some ECU repair shops and they all, without a doubt confirmed my thoughts. Most, laughed when I told them this damage was supposedly done in shipping and there was no damage to the ECU case itself. I was also told that these ECU are glued/bonded together pretty well from the factory and take a bit of caution, patience, and finesse to separate the cover from the body. More than likely, whatever MHP (Andy) was using to pry the case halves apart slipped into the inside and knocked the component off of the circuit board. After seeing the pictures, I then called MHP again and asked Andy directly if he accidentally damaged the ECU when opening it. Andy denied that he or MHP damaged the ECU. He then told me that he could not write to the ECU and that he would be sending it back to me broken….. Really?? Are you kidding me? Break a customers ECU, deny it, send it back and wash your hands of the situation.. Wow, that’s customer service!! (There were many more phone conversations and text messages over this matter. Some were heated.)

The next day, I receive an ECU back in the mail. I open the shipping box and begin to undo the screws of the cover of the ECU to inspect the damage myself. As I am undoing the screws, and before I can get the ECU open my phone rings. It’s Andy with MHP, “I sent you the wrong ECU back, it’s not yours” he states. Wow, really! How do you know that you broke mine and not someone elses then? Andy states that I need to send it back immediately because he gave me another customers ECU instead of mine. Luckily for me, I had taken a picture of my ECU when I pulled it out of the vehichle. I purposely did this to make sure that I got my ECU back and not someone else’s. I quickly confirm with the picture that this is the same ECU that I sent to MHP. I explain to Andy that the tag on this ECU matches the one in the photo that I took before sending it to MHP. He then say’s “I must have swapped the cover with someone else’s ECU”. Wow, MHP really has their shi* together. Mysteriously broken circuit board of ECU with no outer case damage, swapped ECU covers, posting under multiple user names online and a host of other shady information… Later on that evening, I tell Andy that I’m not sending this ECU back because the cover and all of the numbers on the label match the photo of the ECU I sent to MHP. After the fact, I also opened the cover and verified that the ECU I had in hand was indeed the ECU with the broken circuitry on the board. Additionally, I have since verified that this ECU was in fact my original ECU since my VIN was still in this ECU. I have no idea what Andy did with that other customers ECU, maybe he swapped covers with yet a third person.. All I know is that the ECU that came back t me was broken and had my VIN in it. Much more conversation went on with Andy and I over this matter and it has not been remedied by MHP. I have asked MHP to cover the cost of the new ECU, the TOW and charge for the local dealer to marry the new ECU that I had to purchase to my car. MHP continues to deny any wrongdoing but the evidence and shady stories from Andy speak for themselves. Hope you didn’t think I forgot you ANDY!! It’s been around a month, I gave you ample opportunity to make this right! Damaged in Shipping????? C’mon Andy….. Really!!!!!

Buyers Beware!
Anytime i ever shipped my ecu out i was told to insure for $1200.00 incase of any damage or loss? Is it as simple as making a claim through the insurance? Doesnt sound like any fun sorry for your bad experience
Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Wow that sucks! Hopefully you get all of this figured out. Try to file a claim like others have said, but from the sounds of how you packaged the ecu, it doesn't seem like the shipper has done anything wrong. Especially since the box was in good shape...
Old 05-08-2012, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT

Buyers Beware!
i noticed you mention about multiple user names and other shady information . why use MHP then ?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
i noticed you mention about multiple user names and other shady information . why use MHP then ?
Zing
Old 05-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by dodger63
Anytime i ever shipped my ecu out i was told to insure for $1200.00 incase of any damage or loss? Is it as simple as making a claim through the insurance? Doesnt sound like any fun sorry for your bad experience
Just from my past experience, given there's NO damage on the package, it's very hard to prove to the UPS inspector that it's their fault causing the internal damage.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by balthaser
Just from my past experience, given there's NO damage on the package, it's very hard to prove to the UPS inspector that it's their fault causing the internal damage.
Just damage the box and make a claim then
Old 05-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 coupe P31, '11 G37s, '12 RR Evoque Prestige '10 QX56
Sucks that that hapened.

I would have soldered the "resistor" back on.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Pic of Circuit Board. Damaged component is just under one being pointed to with tool. You know, the one that looks like it got broken off from a tool hitting it.
This little component broke when all the way bigger surrounding ones are untouched ?

Anyway , you knew about Andy "shady" operations but still shipped the ECU to him ?

Can we see other pictures ? Before/After ECU box ?

Last edited by Kaiba; 05-08-2012 at 04:17 PM.

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
Just damage the box and make a claim then
Do you really think the UPS truck driver would be so dumb to make a statement that he delivered a damaged box to the recipient?
Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Ohhh wow Andy at it again.

Don't worrie u not the 1st or last that had a problem.
I'll post a pic of what my Ecu looked like after opening.

If it wasent for couple baller on the forum that keep this guy going an repping his products he would be out of business longtime ago.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM

2011 SLS AMG, 2009 SL63 AMG, 2008 C63 AMG(SOLD)
I said it before and I'll say it again AND I WILL KEEP SAYING IT TO EVERYONE. BEWARE AND STAY AWAY FROM THAT WOTHLESS DOUCHEBAG. He has damaged many ECUs in the past. I don't understand why you guys keep investing your hard earned cash to that liar.

Originally Posted by dodger63
We have shipped ECUs many times without insuring them and had no problems and never were damaged. your scumbag friend is an artist of lying and denying when **** hits the fan.
I just hope your car doesn't blow up
Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM

C63 AMG
Unfotunately, I learned this after the fact..
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by mthis
Ohhh wow Andy at it again.

Don't worrie u not the 1st or last that had a problem.
I'll post a pic of what my Ecu looked like after opening.

If it wasent for couple baller on the forum that keep this guy going an repping his products he would be out of business longtime ago.
where's the damage on yours ? if you are talking about the epoxy , that's old news on MHP's old tune . i'm sure the OP knew about this also
Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
where's the damage on yours ? if you are talking about the epoxy , that's old news on MHP's old tune . i'm sure the OP knew about this also
Old tuner new tuner it's still MHP
Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Kaiba
This little component broke when all the way bigger surrounding ones are untouched ?
That was my impression, too. Something is fishy. A delivery wouldn't have knocked that loose. It was either damaged before it was sent or damaged when it was received.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by SLS Qatar
I said it before and I'll say it again AND I WILL KEEP SAYING IT TO EVERYONE. BEWARE AND STAY AWAY FROM THAT WOTHLESS DOUCHEBAG. He has damaged many ECUs in the past. I don't understand why you guys keep investing your hard earned cash to that liar.

We have shipped ECUs many times without insuring them and had no problems and never were damaged. your scumbag friend is an artist of lying and denying when **** hits the fan.
I just hope your car doesn't blow up
wow...that's just wrong in so many ways
Old 05-08-2012, 04:29 PM

2011 SLS AMG, 2009 SL63 AMG, 2008 C63 AMG(SOLD)
FYI in case you didn't know or you missed the whole article about this issue,
EPOXY damages the ECU internals eventually and removing it improperly could cause a permanent damage to the ECU.

One thing is absolutely not right,ANDY WAS NOT TELLING HIS CUSTOMERS ABOUT THIS EPOXY BEING SPRAYED ON THEIR ECUs.

WHAT A CHEAP ***
Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar