Oil Catch Can Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Oil Catch Can Advice

Hey guys,

I have a question after seeing someones post about how there was oil sludge in their engine I was wondering why I haven't seen people talk more about oil catch cans. Do you guys think this is necessary in our cars? Does any one have any input or advice on advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks in advanced
Old 06-13-2012, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Good question. I went over to Weistec's site and they had a SL that had oil pooled in the intake manifold from not having a catch can.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 AM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
What caught my attention and made me to start thinking of a catch can was this thread. Does sher-judge have a point that a catch would have prevented that from happening? Does anyone have any input?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...check-out.html
Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I'm a believer in the catch can theory, just have to get off my a** and install one.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
I'm a believer in the catch can theory, just have to get off my a** and install one.
same here, and find a way to mount that weistc can in the bay without obstructing the drip stick
Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blindfold
same here, and find a way to mount that weistc can in the bay without obstructing the drip stick
I hope Weistec can chime in here.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Weistec
Gentlemen, Please view this picture to see how we install the Oil Separator. We supply all the brackets, hardware, and hoses in the kit to install it behind the headlight. This was a revision we made on the C63 because of the congestion near the firewall. If any of you didn't receive our newest parts, please email or PM us and we will get you situated with the latest and greatest. Let us know if this helps.

Weistec Engineering
Old 06-14-2012, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by Weistec
Gentlemen, Please view this picture to see how we install the Oil Separator. We supply all the brackets, hardware, and hoses in the kit to install it behind the headlight. This was a revision we made on the C63 because of the congestion near the firewall. If any of you didn't receive our newest parts, please email or PM us and we will get you situated with the latest and greatest. Let us know if this helps.

Weistec Engineering
that setup looks amazing

thanks again guys
Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63, 2007 X5

Weistec Engineering
off topic, this supercharger looks different than other Weistec C63s. may be just the cover or a more powerful one
Old 06-14-2012, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah. The front pulley section is different. I wonder why? Stage 1 and 1+?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 AM

C63 amg
Does it void the factory warranty? I will ask MB next time and see what they say.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
Originally Posted by Z63amg
Does it void the factory warranty? I will ask MB next time and see what they say.
It would be kind of hard for them to prove that your catch can caused any issues
Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM

C63 amg
This is my first Mercedes so I really don't know but like mitsubishi would blame anything they could on any after market part. Mercedes does have a clause under damages due to alterations or modifications. I just wonder if they would try to blame.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
Originally Posted by BO Knows
off topic, this supercharger looks different than other Weistec C63s. may be just the cover or a more powerful one
Originally Posted by Sincity
Yeah. The front pulley section is different. I wonder why? Stage 1 and 1+?
Stage II goodies
Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
If you are asking if sludge is caused by pooled oil in the intake ,the answer is not that I know. A catch tank or oil separator is mainly used in race cars to my kowledge. Crank case pressure from (combustion)" blow-by" drives vapor and oil into the crankcase breather. Good design usually avoids this. Some race engines use vacuum pumps to reduce the turbulence and parasitic HP loss. Hate to think this is a problem on C63.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by motoman
If you are asking if sludge is caused by pooled oil in the intake ,the answer is not that I know. A catch tank or oil separator is mainly used in race cars to my kowledge. Crank case pressure from (combustion)" blow-by" drives vapor and oil into the crankcase breather. Good design usually avoids this. Some race engines use vacuum pumps to reduce the turbulence and parasitic HP loss. Hate to think this is a problem on C63.
I am only ask because I am a daily driver and I like to get on her a lot, I do not track her but I am just thinking that the daily abuse may be comparable lol

But it seems as though its not 100% necessary, as long as you change the oil and service you engine often you will be ok with out one.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
Weistec
Gentlemen,

There are two different issues that are being discussed in this thread. The first being our Oil Separator, how it works, and what it prevents, and the oil sludge issue inside the engine.

Our Oil Separator System is designed to decrease the consumption of oil from the factory PCV system. Many vehicles come with some sort of oil separator system from the factory. This is not some kind of technology that is only seen on race cars. Look at the M113K E55 engine as an example. The factory crankcase ventilation on the M156/M159 breathes mostly between the timing cover and the engine block, and this is where the timing chain as well as many other moving parts are. Because of this, oil gets splashed and sucked in through the PCV system. It is not completely a matter of blow-by, but the design of the crankcase ventilation. The pictures on our website (http://weistec.com/m156os.html) of oil in the intake manifold is proof of what is happening over time. This can also cause many issues from serious carbon build up on valve and piston surfaces, to a loss in power from detonation, to damaging the catalyst system over time. We think this is very bad on the engine, and have seen the difference the Oil Separator can make in just one oil change period.

Oil Sludge is typically from either over heating the oil or not completing an oil change in due time. The Oil Separator can't help this, but it will prevent milky oil (air and oil mixing) because its main purpose it to separate oil and air. Hope this helps. Thanks guys!

Weistec Engineering

Last edited by Weistec; 06-26-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Gentlemen,

There are two different issues that are being discussed in this thread. The first being our Oil Separator, how it works, and what it prevents, and the oil sludge issue inside the engine.

Our Oil Separator System is designed to decrease the consumption of oil from the factory PCV system. Many vehicles come with some sort of oil separator system from the factory. This is not some kind of technology that is only seen on race cars. Look at the M113K E55 engine as an example. The factory crankcase ventilation on the M156/M159 breathes mostly between the timing cover and the engine block, and this is where the timing chain as well as many other moving parts are. Because of this, oil gets splashed and sucked in through the PCV system. It is not completely a matter of blow-by, but the design of the crankcase ventilation. The pictures on our website (http://weistec.com/m156os.html) of oil in the intake manifold is proof of what is happening over time. This can also cause many issues from serious carbon build up on valve and piston surfaces, to a loss in power from detonation, to damaging the catalyst system over time. We think this is very bad on the engine, and have seen the difference the Oil Separator can make in just one oil change period.

Oil Sludge is typically from either over heating the oil or not completing an oil change in due time. The Oil Separator can't help this, but it will prevent milky oil (air and oil mixing) because its main purpose it to separate oil and air. Hope this helps. Thanks guys!

Weistec Engineering

Looks like a well engineered and finished product. Could you put a PDF of installation instuctions for a C63 on your website. Always like to see what's involved in the installation prior to ordering things.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:10 AM

2012 C63 Sedan
Gentlemen,

Weistec Engineering
question:i understood your oil catch can "catch" oil from entering intake manifold but how about "existing oil" in the manifold? do i need to clean the manifold (seems a lot of work) before using the catch can or if it will work to "reduce“ the existing oil in the manifold and transfer it to the can?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
It's going to prevent further build up, but it wouldn't clean what's currently on the intake manifold. It's more of a preventative measure.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Thrilla
It's going to prevent further build up, but it wouldn't clean what's currently on the intake manifold. It's more of a preventative measure.
+1. I asked Weistec about this before I got mine. They said the existing oil will eventually burn off.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I've got Weistec's can installed (it was a moderate pain in the ***), but it was worth it as it now harvests a decent amount of oil that otherwise would end up in the intake. The engine bay of the C63 is very crowded, and the PCV valve is tucked tight against the firewall. I ended up running the lines around the dipstick, which ain't ideal, but still works. Just be real careful during install and don't break the PCV valve or brackets, or drop any of the hardware. HTH