C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could transmission service remove ECU tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
Could transmission service remove ECU tune?

I went to the dealership for a B service and a transmission service yesterday. After getting it back I felt it's different. My car has OE tune before, right now it just doesn't feel like the tune is still there.

Could a transmission service flash my ECU back to stock? I don't know if it's just me being so paranoid that I think even the engine barking is toned down or the power drop is real.

If it does, I might need to visit Jeremy again and have the ECU reflashed.

Last edited by balthaser; 06-14-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by balthaser
I went to the dealership for a B service and a transmission service yesterday. After getting it back I felt it's different. My car has OE tune before, right now it just doesn't feel like the tune is still there.

Could a transmission service flash my ECU back to stock? I don't know if it's just me being so paranoid that I think even the engine barking is toned down or the power drop is real.

RPM in Neutral above 4500? I'm not sure of OE removes that governor, but I know some tunes do. Foolproof test of whether a tune is in place.

BTW, what was your trans serviced for...what issue?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:18 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ezatnova
RPM in Neutral above 4500? I'm not sure of OE removes that governor, but I know some tunes do. Foolproof test of whether a tune is in place.

Thanks for the info. I'll go check it later.

And it was the 40K miles opt-in service
Old 06-14-2012, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V

Check your service paperwork.

The dealer must list all service work performed on their paperwork.

Why don't you just by the flash loader that OE sells so you can flash it yourself?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:30 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PetroC63
Check your service paperwork.

The dealer must list all service work performed on their paperwork.

Why don't you just by the flash loader that OE sells so you can flash it yourself?
Actually I read it. It says TCU was checked and no error code was found.

Also I don't think they really have to detail every step on the paper say if a simple software update is performed and nothing needs to be fixed. They just mark down what services have been done.

I do not recall when they fix my taillight burnt socket, a record of rear SAM software update is logged. But the fact is the rear SAM did get an updated software and it caused a hiccup when I upgraded the taillights to the 2012 version.

About the flash loader, since I'm only 30-40 minutes away from Jeremy's, in my book that's close enough to not buy one.

Last edited by balthaser; 06-14-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c63
I had this exact question a few weeks ago, same service, same tune on my car. I'd be interested to find out what the "test" is to make sure the tune is still there...
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 PM

2009 C63 AMG

I've tried this. Nope, it won't pass 4000. The tune was wiped.

I've talked to Jeremy about it and scheduled a re-tune.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:48 AM
nkc

2012 C63 Coupe P31 CF Trim - Eurocharged V7, 2012 RangeRover Autobiography, 2017 GLS 63 Amg
So if ur car is tuned, it can redline wen revvingin neutral?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Hopefully not, I really doubt they would flash your ECU during a trans service.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Hopefully not, I really doubt they would flash your ECU during a trans service.
While the car is in service they plug it in to look for codes. When they plug it I'm sure the software says the ECU is out of date of not up to date or the numbers don't match. The tech simply updates the ECU to the latest.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 AM

2011 SLS AMG, 2009 SL63 AMG, 2008 C63 AMG(SOLD)
Originally Posted by propain
While the car is in service they plug it in to look for codes. When they plug it I'm sure the software says the ECU is out of date of not up to date or the numbers don't match. The tech simply updates the ECU to the latest.
+1
That's exactly what might have happened.

The same thing that happened to me before, but right now whenever I go to service I tell them not to do the software update.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport

I can rev past 4500 in neutral and I'm not tuned. Got the car new, but it's a 12. Is the limiter just for 2011s and below?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
You guys are wrong. You do not flash or update software for no reason, even if there is new software available. MB specifically states not too. There is even a DTB about it. So, just a routine trans service is done, yes you need to hook up star to check the temp while setting the fluid level, but no software changes are done.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by Shifter
You guys are wrong. You do not flash or update software for no reason, even if there is new software available. MB specifically states not too. There is even a DTB about it. So, just a routine trans service is done, yes you need to hook up star to check the temp while setting the fluid level, but no software changes are done.
So explain how it got flashed back to stock then?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Well, granted none of us were there so can't say. Are you 100% sure it is stock again? All I'm saying is that during a normal service software is not changed.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Well, granted none of us were there so can't say. Are you 100% sure it is stock again? All I'm saying is that during a normal service software is not changed.
I believe so. He cant rev beyond 4K RPM in N so that pretty much confirms it.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Well, I had the tune back on my C63 yesterday. Have to say that the drive to Jeremy's and the drive back home are different.

When I first time tuned it, I didn't pay too much attention about the improvement. I just drove and had fun. But this time I definitely do. The engine response is instant, unlike in stock mode which has a lag around 1/2 second. The torque is stronger, sometimes the pull in S mode scares me. The C mode after this re-tune feels like S Mode after last service mentioned above.
I don't know about you guys. But if the daily driving mileage improves on my car after tune, it's definitely because I got much more conservative on the gas paddle knowing that the beast is officially out of cage, cautiousness is required in this $h!thole environment, i.e., SoCal traffic.

So my verdict is: Yes, it was flashed back to stock and now flashed back to tuned.

Thank you for y'all help and Jeremy's great service.

Last edited by balthaser; 06-17-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 PM

2009 C63 AMG
btw, talking about the SoCal traffic, when I drove home yesterday I witnessed three almost-happen-accident (yeah they were so close) and one driver in an old Altima(maybe 01 model) tried to overtake me on the busy 201
Old 10-20-2013, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Bringing this thread back to life, any others ever felt like the car had no tune after a service? I'm afraid this happened to me also. If this is the case this problem I don't think is well known and it would be good for guys tuned to make sure this won't happen to them.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:55 PM

2008 C63
I just had my car in for service and it felt sluggish after so I re flashed it. I didn't see this post about the 4000 RPM trick until now so I didn't get a chance to confirm if it was indeed back to stock. It's all good now, I have the Eurocharged tune.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 304 Likes on 196 Posts
10 C six trizzle
ya'll realize it'll rev over 4krpm stock if the vehicle is in motion right? If you bring your car in and it is modded- obviously like headers/pulley etc... and they flash it for no reason, find someone else to work on your car. clearly that tech is a dumbass. Its always good to be upfront with having tunes/mods, specially if you are having drivability problems or check engine light. you're asking for trouble otherwise.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 w211 E55
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
ya'll realize it'll rev over 4krpm stock if the vehicle is in motion right? If you bring your car in and it is modded- obviously like headers/pulley etc... and they flash it for no reason, find someone else to work on your car. clearly that tech is a dumbass. Its always good to be upfront with having tunes/mods, specially if you are having drivability problems or check engine light. you're asking for trouble otherwise.
I brought my car in for 2 engine mounts and a tranny mount. He happened to have the same Mercedes computer the dealer has and he scanned my car for codes and I'm afraid "updated" my Ecu which might have erased the tune. I told 1 of the guys that I had a tune on the car. I have an e55 not c63 but reading the above posts only makes believe that I'm not going crazy. I'm having my car re-flashed Tom either way but i want to see if I can confirm that the my tuned file was "updated" to a stock one.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:00 AM

SL63 AMG

NO!

The only way that could happen is if the dealer connected the DAS system through your OBD on an online Mercedes server.

I highly doubt that happened for only a transmission service.

your ok man!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 304 Likes on 196 Posts
10 C six trizzle
ya it take about 10-15 minutes and we dont flash m.e. and trans modules for fun. there has to be a complaint that makes it necessary. maybe your intercooler pump is taking a poop on you.