Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG & RR
Question C63 Tires For Dummies - Another Tire Thread Edition

I know, what you're thinking and it's one of two things:
A. "Hey skycap, you can fly planes but you don't know how to use the search bar?"
B. "He thinks he's funny?"

No, I don't think I'm funny and I have perused through the search bar and have asked people I know for suggestions but now the dummy, that's me , is more confused than before I started looking for tires.

Anyhow, I'll try to keep this short an concise for you guys. I have an 08 model w/o LSD and I mostly drive in dry conditions when I drive this car. Rear stock Pzeros last about 5k miles with me, that's with some light spirited action. I don't know much about tires in general to make an informed decision but have come to the realization that stock Pzeros which are quite costly due to their horrible tread life even when driving normally are not cutting it anymore. I'd like to approach this from a cost effective standpoint but the rears haven't allowed that luxury.

Therefore, is going wider on the rears (not more than 275) an option in an effort to increase grip and longevity of tires? If I'm mistaken, please correct me and suggest a size that isn't too bold, yet doable.

Also what are some tire options currently that are comparable to the Pzeros or better in terms of tread life and ride quality?

Furthermore, looking at _AMG_'s old thread and some online reviews, Michelin Pilot Super Sports seem to be the best as of last year, yet not sure if they are worth it as stock Pzeros are already priced at $1200+ w/o alignment.

I would really appreciate some guidance even though it may have been reiterated before, countless times. I'd like to try some new rubber that lasts longer w/o going too wide to ruin comfort and performance with a stock set-up.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by Merc-Skycap; 06-20-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Michelin PSS seems to be a great choice and if you go to a shop that warrants them (sears for my personal experience), it is a no brainer.
I have put 265/35/18 in the back but others have gone to 275.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM

09 C63 P30/05 S4
michelin also has some sort of mileage garantee, !!!! im going to look more closely at this
Old 06-21-2012, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
The warranty is from Michelin but depending on the shops, they will not honor it 100% because of the inability to rotate the tires (staggered set up). My local Sears did not give me any issues when I brought my bold AS+ and replaced them with PSS. AS+ carry 45K and PSS have 30K.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,588 Likes on 936 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
.... mostly drive in dry conditions when I drive this car. Rear stock Pzeros last about 5k miles with me, that's with some light spirited action..... in an effort to increase grip and longevity of tires?
Considering your driving habits and conditions I would dial out some of the rear toe to increase rear tire wear. The OE alignment is fairly aggressive.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Skycap...really liked your post and intro!!

I HIGHLY recommend 265/35/18 in the rear...this is what I have done with the 18" wheels that they are JUST PERFECT in thickness, wheel fill in (as in filling in the fender wheel space), as well as grip. Some brands that I tried that not only looked good but performed well with quiet sportiness are:

Hankook V12
Bridgestone RE11 760

Now wait before people flame...I am specific on dry surface and economical with a very attractive look. I see tires that look like drag radials for every day driving because they went bigger and it doesn't cut it for the look I want...

I am highly against 275 (even though I have contemplated it) because the wheel is just not meant to support it. The rear width of the car and wheel design is to take a certain width and going overboard will compromise the performance of the tire on that specific wheel and cause the wheel to wear prematurely in the hub and actually have come off in some cases with extreme cornering.

The above tires are quiet, enough grip for DRY surface driving and they are def. worth the price for beating up on...
Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Thanks guys for taking this seriously. I know how tired people are of seeing the same questions pop up every few weeks on here so I tried a more humorous approach which I'm sure failed miserably apart from a nice thumbs up by ZephyrAMG.

According to some reviews the fronts on the PSS easily hydroplane during rainy conditions just like the cheaper tires so not so sure if I should believe the hype and just plop $1500 for some tires that don't last longer and in my area I have yet to come across a shop that will cover a tire for 50k due to the staggered set-up. One M5 review suggested that they'd cut the warranty in half but Conti DWS tires (which I know zip about) are fully covered regardless of what set-up you have on the car.

@ZephyrAMG: I was actually curious about the Hankooks since they are cheaper yet I've only used Hankooks once before on my SUV and they did do very well but again, the fact that this is an AMG and not an SUV and that these tires aren't safe in wet conditions is kind of perplexing. How bad are they really in wet conditions? Do they hydroplane easily as well? Is putting power down to the rears harder dry and wet conditions?

@Jasonoff: So you don't suggest going wider? Seriously my friend, I'm like a dumb blonde when it comes to this stuff. The reason why I'm with stupid t-shirts came out is becuase I joined MBworld.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,588 Likes on 936 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
@Jasonoff: So you don't suggest going wider? Seriously my friend, I'm like a dumb blonde when it comes to this stuff. The reason why I'm with stupid t-shirts came out is becuase I joined MBworld.
Personally, I would add more meat back there just for the fun factor but it's likely not going to add to tire longevity. The OE toe spec will chew up rear tires even if you're not hard on the throttle.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Skycap, I really never have driven the car when it rains...I just haven't had the chance or needed to...thats why I love the Hankooks and the Bridgestones...they do a great job, look great from a profile, and are very quiet and are very reasonably priced for all around dry driving. You can get about 6-7K miles on them and toss them when you are done...

For tracking I have used and also swear by the Michelin PSS...

I wouldn't really hope to get any kind of earth shattering, amazing traction form this car in general in the rain or snow...its not an X-Drive or a Quattro...

Don't go bananas over this...its just a shoe...does it really matter unless you are running an olympic marathon?...It wont make that BIG of a difference for city/suburban streets...How many times have you paid over a $100 for some amazing Nikes and realized they performed just as good as your New Balances purchased from the outlet store for running around town and to the Home Depot...
Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 Sedan
+1 on the Bridgestone 760s.

Specifically designed for greater tread wear and offer enough grip for light spirited driving
Old 06-23-2012, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Skycap, I really never have driven the car when it rains...I just haven't had the chance or needed to...thats why I love the Hankooks and the Bridgestones...they do a great job, look great from a profile, and are very quiet and are very reasonably priced for all around dry driving. You can get about 6-7K miles on them and toss them when you are done...

For tracking I have used and also swear by the Michelin PSS...

I wouldn't really hope to get any kind of earth shattering, amazing traction form this car in general in the rain or snow...its not an X-Drive or a Quattro...

Don't go bananas over this...its just a shoe...does it really matter unless you are running an olympic marathon?...It wont make that BIG of a difference for city/suburban streets...How many times have you paid over a $100 for some amazing Nikes and realized they performed just as good as your New Balances purchased from the outlet store for running around town and to the Home Depot...
Hahah you know me well. I'm trying to not go bananas over it. I'll definitely give it some thought though and decide weather to use them over the PSSs but you are right at the end of the day it's just rubber.

So 265/35/18 in the rear and keep fronts oe size or also add some beef?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:16 AM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
I think the 275's look perfect back there.

Here are my 275 PSS on stock 18" wheel.

Attached Thumbnails C63 Tires For Dummies - Another Tire Thread Edition-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 06-23-2012, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
RE11 are awesome. Both street and track, wet is really good too, but $$$$

Dial out rear toe so they don't get scrubbed down so much in the back.

On the street, the only difference between these expensive tires and some cheap high TW ones is my car won't spin them in second gear

I mostly run cheaper tires on the street..
Old 06-23-2012, 12:31 PM

GT2 C63 and yo sister
can I use 265/35/18 rears without making any alignment changes? could someone explain why tires wouldnt be warranted if you used a staggered set up?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
According to some reviews the fronts on the PSS easily hydroplane during rainy conditions just like the cheaper tires so not so sure if I should believe the hype and just plop $1500 for some tires that don't last longer and in my area I have yet to come across a shop that will cover a tire for 50k due to the staggered set-up. One M5 review suggested that they'd cut the warranty in half but Conti DWS tires (which I know zip about) are fully covered regardless of what set-up you have on the car.
If you remember that the PSS are max performance summer tires, their rain capability and hydroplaning resistance is very, very good. Better than almost any max performance summer tire I have used. If you go with a lower performance tire (DWS or any other "no season" tire) the sacrifice in dry performance is not worth the slight increase in wet performance IMO. The RE-11 are better dry performance tires compared to the PSS but aren't as comfortable, wear faster and are not as good in the rain (even though they are very good for extreme performance tires).

I have about 5,000 km and 2 track days on my PSS (265/30-19) and there is only nominal wear showing. They still look almost new. I would expect to get at least 25,000 km (but probably more) from them if I didn't track the car.

I have said this before and will say it again, the PSS is the BEST overall tire available in its performance category and the best available for the C63 that is a daily driver in summer.

Last edited by gthal; 06-23-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
The Super Sports are doing very well for me in the rain. I've been through some pretty heavy downpours the past few weeks in Miami, and they felt really good and never had to slow down.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:51 PM
b16

Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
can I use 265/35/18 rears without making any alignment changes? could someone explain why tires wouldnt be warranted if you used a staggered set up?
I didn't do alignment changes.

You can do staggered the mileage is cut in half. Just read the document explaining.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:22 PM
b16

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I am highly against 275 (even though I have contemplated it) because the wheel is just not meant to support it. The rear width of the car and wheel design is to take a certain width and going overboard will compromise the performance of the tire on that specific wheel and cause the wheel to wear prematurely in the hub and actually have come off in some cases with extreme cornering.
I'm sorry but this is just simply not true.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM

GT2 C63 and yo sister
Originally Posted by b16
I didn't do alignment changes.

You can do staggered the mileage is cut in half. Just read the document explaining.
what document? and what mileage, I only get 5500 miles per set of rears Ive got the stick continentals, but I dont rotate front to rear, y fronts are now about worn enough that Im about to change all 4
So the consensus is the PSSs are better than the contis in the 18 in
Old 06-23-2012, 07:00 PM
b16

Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
what document? and what mileage, I only get 5500 miles per set of rears Ive got the stick continentals, but I dont rotate front to rear, y fronts are now about worn enough that Im about to change all 4
So the consensus is the PSSs are better than the contis in the 18 in
Haha, I got this thread confused with the PSS review thread. If you google search Michelin tire warranty you'll find it. Basically states the PSS have a tread wear warranty of 30k miles. This is cut in half with staggered setups because you cannot rotate (to 15k). The document mentions only for tires that came with them OE, but there was a member who got te warranty honored on their c63.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:49 PM

GT2 C63 and yo sister
Originally Posted by b16
Haha, I got this thread confused with the PSS review thread. If you google search Michelin tire warranty you'll find it. Basically states the PSS have a tread wear warranty of 30k miles. This is cut in half with staggered setups because you cannot rotate (to 15k). The document mentions only for tires that came with them OE, but there was a member who got te warranty honored on their c63.
whaat? that would be some deal!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Thanks for all the help guys, gonna most probably go with the PSS. I just have do some research to see who in the L.A. area can get me a good deal with the warranty.

Also how much should I dial out the the toe for the rears as Jason suggested?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 PM

I'm running the stock size PSS and love them. NO problems in the rain with the fronts
Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Thanks for all the help guys, gonna most probably go with the PSS. I just have do some research to see who in the L.A. area can get me a good deal with the warranty.

Also how much should I dial out the the toe for the rears as Jason suggested?
The warranty on staggered tires is less than on tires that can be rotated. Check the Mich site.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:13 PM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
i just got PSS due to a nail in my factory tires.... and there great!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 Tires For Dummies - Another Tire Thread Edition