Sponsored by:

Which to buy used? (c63 / 911 / M3)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi a4
Which to buy used? (c63 / 911 / M3)

Need some help deciding. Currently looking to spend $40-$50k on a used car in the area. CPO or non-CPO, still deciding. I've come up with a list of 3 cars that I think fit my needs.

My situation
- Children: One girl (2 years) / One boy (on the way in Jan), wife has a new SUV that we use 100% of the time for going out with the kids
- car purchasing ~Spring 2013
- invited to at least 3-5 member only track days a year. Currently have to borrow my manager's Cayman S, but would like to get a track worthy car for sessions.
- only drive about 10 miles a day to work, but would primarly use this car on weekends for fun

Needs
- to be track worthy
- between $40-$50k
- obviously looking for lowest mileage / best maintained
- some sort of backseat room for car sets (if I had to transport my kids in emergency)
- not sure if CPO would help if I'm keeping this new car low mileage and if tracking the car would void CPO?

My opinions on the 3 choices I've come to...

Porsche 911 (996/997)
Pros:
- Most Balanced of the bunch
- Probably quickest on the track
- Actually a good amount available in the area
- Already fimiliar with driving Cayman/911 around the track
- Best styling

Cons:
- uber small backseat
- most expensive to purchase / maintain
- will probably have to buy higher mileage to get within $40-$50k range
- not sure it will pass the wife test

BMW M3 (e92) - Coupe/Sedan
Pros:
- Amazing engine sound
- Backseat Room in both Coupe/Sedan
- Great track times
- Probably best daily driver

Cons:
- lots of M3s around here
- becoming hard to find
- $ marked up / popular

Mercedes-Benz c63 AMG
Pros:
- More amazing engine sound
- Most backseat room
- Most HP/Torque, Raw power
- Fastest strait line performance

Cons:
- Auto only
- gas mileage (but, not too concerned)
- very heavy car and probably least track worthy

I've test drove all of them and love each one. But, which one fits my situation the best? Sorry for long post...
Old 09-20-2012, 12:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
You've summed up EVERYTHING very well.....you've done your homework.
But it's YOUR car, YOUR decision......only YOU you know you feel, so, all ya gotta do, is.........make YOUR decion......the one that's right for YOU, and only YOU know what that is.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:22 AM

2013 SL550
Go for e90 M3. Manual, good for track & dd, rare than the coupe, and fun to drive!!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
I agree with both pickles and TigerJK. It is your decision but in your position i would go for the M3 coupe with CF roof. For must of us on this forum our C63's are our daily drives so for us (speaking for myself at least) the torque and hp and straight line performance is enough.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C63
Sounds like you came here to be talked into a C63..... you're welcome.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
I would pick the M3 based on what you describe. All are great and you can go wrong with any. I would bet the M3 would prove slightly more reliable tha the C63 if that matters.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
for the track, M3.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM

C63, C55 (Sold)
911's for $50k max will be on high millage (or old) and expensive to maintain. I remember reading a survey done by Edmunds who said that people who bought 911's spent twice the amount to maintain a C63 or a M3 (don't know if this is true or not). If you plan to track it, you will probably change oil, brakes and tires more often. Think about that.

M3's are very fast on the track, nimble and tossable. Look for one with the Competition Package for this purpose. I believe those are cheaper than the C63's though... And yes: There are now a lot of them on the streets.

C63's are more fun in the street, and that was the driver for my decision. I don't track my cars, so I bought a C63 because of its raw power, quick steering and comfort. Its very practical too.

In the end is your decision. We can give you our thoughts and advices, but you will be the one behind the wheel... Good hunting!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:42 AM

Carlsson CM60 EX:C36AMG'96
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
911's for $50k max will be on high millage (or old) and expensive to maintain. I remember reading a survey done by Edmunds who said that people who bought 911's spent twice the amount to maintain a C63 or a M3 (don't know if this is true or not). If you plan to track it, you will probably change oil, brakes and tires more often. Think about that.

M3's are very fast on the track, nimble and tossable. Look for one with the Competition Package for this purpose. I believe those are cheaper than the C63's though... And yes: There are now a lot of them on the streets.

C63's are more fun in the street, and that was the driver for my decision. I don't track my cars, so I bought a C63 because of its raw power, quick steering and comfort. Its very practical too.

In the end is your decision. We can give you our thoughts and advices, but you will be the one behind the wheel... Good hunting!

For daily drive c63 al the way, it's good on the track but you got the risk of overheating. M3 safest way good for the track days, but the car you really want to drive home is the amg
Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 AM

2011 Range Rover Sport SC
Having had all of the cars above, I would have to say that you summed up everything fairly well initially.

The 911 is the best pure sports car of the group. It will be the quickest around the track and the most satisfying to drive (probably both on a day to day basis, as well as on the track itself). That being said, when you DO need maintenance on the Porsche, it's going to be expensive. That being said, they don't need much in the way of additional maintenance for track duty.

With two kids though, you may find yourself in the situation where your wife is out with one of the kids in her SUV, and you'll be forced to fit one into your Porsche. It's not a fun experience.

Having a 911 for a daily driver though is a lot of fun. It's an automotive icon, and even though it doesn't have the power or sound of either the M3 or the C63, it's as thrilling to drive. It just motivates you in a way that neither the M3 nor the C63 can.

That being said, they're pricier. You'll get more C63 or M3 for the money (ie, newer and lower mileage) than a comparably priced 911. That may sway your decision somewhat.

The M3 is probably the next best car for track duty, and they are an enjoyable daily driver. My biggest problem with the M3 is that it IS the default, executive sports coupe / sedan (for people who can't afford a 911). So you tend to see a lot of them around. They do require some regular maintenance above and beyond what a 911 does, and repairs can probably start to approach Porsche pricing. With the sedan version though, it's less common than the coupe, and it's easier to live with on a day to day basis with kids. The coupe is better looking than the sedan though, so I find the sedan less appealing.

The C63 is probably the least track friendly of the bunch, but it's one heck of a daily driver. I have the coupe, but I honestly think the sedan is possibly better looking. It's certainly better looking as a sedan than the M3 is (that's highly subjective, of course). I get a thrill out of starting my car every morning to head to work.

The C63 is probably rarer than the M3 on city streets, and being somewhat unique may be appealing to you. That being said, the C63 sedan isn't massively distinctive from the regular C-Class sedan, so you may see quite a few of those on city streets.

In terms of mileage (fuel economy), the M3 and C63 will probably come in roughly the same (depends on how heavy your foot is). The 911 can be quite a bit better on gas, largely from being a flat-6 and several hundred pounds lighter.

Also, BMW has been fussy about honoring their warranty with vehicles that have been tracked. We used to have huge issues with this with the E46 M3; never had any issues with the E90 myself, but it's potentially an issue.

Porsche, on the other hand, has never complained about their cars being tracked regularly. If anything, they encourage it. That being said, I highly doubt you're going to find too many CPO / warrantied cars from Porsche for under $50K.

Patrick
Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E92 M3
I would suggest the M3. I would also say the Porsche, but maintenance on that sucker is expensive. We have a shop E92 M3 and hands down the best car we have built! We highly recommend it!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 AM

home the point
If primarily a track car, 911. But M3 coupe is a good half way compromise between an all out track tool and daily driver. Also you forgot one pro for the M3: because its popularity, OEM and aftermarket parts are more readily available and cheaper.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGangster
Sounds like you came here to be talked into a C63..... you're welcome.
LOL. My vote is for the 911, actually, based on what you've outlined. BUT, as Patrick mentioned, you won't get a Porsche within warranty for that price. if you figure a decently optioned one goes for about $80k+ new, after 50% depreciation across 4 years, you're already out of warranty. OR, you'll have no options and a crap load of mileage.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Honestly, I would drive both the M3 and the C63. I'm not a Porsche guy. I find them hideous lol especially the 911 (VW Bug).

The M3 and C63 drive very differently so see what you like. Low end torque vs power up top.

Honestly, if I had to choose between an E90 M3 and a C63 I just don't know which one I would choose. I really love both cars and each have their strengths and weaknesses.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Sorry, I have to do this. 1000th post!
Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
I briefly looked at used 911s in recent weeks. $50k max can get you into a 997 and really not all that high of miles, actually it can get someone into a CPO one. I guess it depends on ones definition of high mileage or old. The 911s I did look at were around the same cost as any used C63 in my neck of the woods and with similar miles but the 911 would be a few years older than the C63. Which makes sense if taking into account how much each option is new.

For what the OP described though, I'd probably be looking hard at the M3.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
LOL. My vote is for the 911, actually, based on what you've outlined. BUT, as Patrick mentioned, you won't get a Porsche within warranty for that price. if you figure a decently optioned one goes for about $80k+ new, after 50% depreciation across 4 years, you're already out of warranty. OR, you'll have no options and a crap load of mileage.
You can get a CPO 911 as old as a 2005 and new as a 2007 for under $50k. Mileage of course varies to stay within that budget and get the CPO(warranty). If he wanted an S then going to have probably 50k or more miles and if willing to go to the base 911 then going to be probably 35-40k miles on it. One nice thing about the CPO warranty from Porsche is it starts at the day of purchase not at the day the car was put through the CPO. Also they will CPO cars out of their original warranty which is a little different than most other companies. I actually looked at one not too far from me that was a 2007 w/37k miles and asking $49k. If I were to buy one though and for the reasons the OP stated then I'd probably buy a non CPO one to save some money and just pay to have it inspected.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
I also suggest the M3.

Get the sedan, not sure you could fit an infant seat in the back of the coupe.

Get the DCT trans.