Sponsored by:

Black Series New Guy Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 Black Series
Black Series New Guy Questions

1) the owners manual recommends not switching between drive programs unless stopped... why, and do people adhere to this recommendation? Seems impractical to have to stop the car and switch between settings. My thinking is that if there was a good legitimate concern, they would have engineered so that you couldnt switch between programs unless in PARK.

2) I am still reading the COMMAND manual, which approximates the Beowulf manuscript. But so far I have not been able to figure out how to make the COMMAND system come on automatically when I start the car. I find it very annoying to have to push the button to turn it on every time so that I can use the backup camera. My cheap Acura SUV navigation works better in this regard. Is it something in the settings that can be adjusted?

3) Is there any way to TURN OFF the day time running lights? I have gone into the dash AMG menu system and tried turning off there, but doesnt seem to work. It this a U.S. rule that they must stay on?

4) Is there any reason to not drive in manual most/all the time? With some experience, I am actually finding S and S+ to be a little annoying. Especially S+. Very herky jerky, and I find it difficult to modulate. As much as I am not crazy about C mode, for automatic I find that it is much smoother. I suppose in S and S+ the throttle response is sharper too? I guess put differently, what is happening in S and S+ mode? I find that S is ok, and probably I could deal with it over time, but currently not a fan of S+. Will the transmission "learn" my driving style over time? In the case of manual, I just love the car...the sounds, the control I have, etc. So why not use manual all the time?

Thanks!!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 434 Likes on 357 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
1.) Most of us change transmission settings on the fly even though the owner manual says not to. I have not heard of any negative comments to doing this. Just be reasonable about when you do it (eg. maybe not a good idea when going WOT).

2.) Not sure about settings for Command auto-on at start up but in my 2010 if it is on when I shut the car down it comes on automatically when the car is started.

3.) The DRLs are a safety feature and I don't believe that you can program them off. If you can turn them off I don't think any dealers with STAR will do it for you.

4.) You can drive in M mode all you want.

Great car have fun with it!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 AM

AMG
1 - No problem !! I do that all day

2 - Weird. Every command screen should start when the car starts. Unless you turn it off when leaving the car. Then it will keep its current status and don't turn on at start.

3 - I can't on mine. Actually it looks damn good with the small LED on and headlamps off.

4 - S+ is basically for racing. So it shifts faster and "better". It will also downshifts earlier ence the jerking style. At low speeds , you have to gun the gaz pedal to enjoy S+ or it will be extremly jerky.
It will also wake up all other drivers around you on the highway when downshifting after a quick blast....
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
1 - good question for a legit AMG tech to answer. From a practical users perspective, most everyone I know with these cars just changes settings on the fly. I've had no ill effects with 3 AMG's.

2 - if you have it on when you turn the car off, it will come back on automatically wherever you left it. Not sure how to toggle this.

3 - Not sure, sorry.

4 - M mode 95% of the time Im in the car not on the highway. On the highway I tend to kick it in S+ for the automatic downshifts.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM

2013 C63 Black Series
Thanks guys. My Command/Nav screen definitely doesnt come back on at car start-up, even if I left it on with car stop. So maybe there is a setting. Bummer on the daytime driving lights. I woudl prefer off or just the LEDs. Maybe I will ask an AMG tech about the drive switch while in motion.

A couple others -

1) By the way, what does SPORT handling mode for traction control really do...technically? I know that it allows looser tolerances for handling, but what does that specifically mean? Just adjustments in the sensors and intervention?
2) In S or S+, is there engine software remapping/changes, sharper throttle sensitivity, other changes? I.E. it doesnt feel like it is just the transmission that is affected by those modes.

thanks again
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 C63BS 2009 Ferrari 16M 2016 Cayenne turbo S 2019 G63
Only address the command screen inquiry.

MY 2012 BS screen stays on after every shutoff. I do not touch the on off button.
The BS really has no specific DRL's as the bumper design did away with the AMG DRL'. I believe this was a real issue for CAnadian spec cars.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jtrichel
1) the owners manual recommends not switching between drive programs unless stopped... why, and do people adhere to this recommendation? Seems impractical to have to stop the car and switch between settings. My thinking is that if there was a good legitimate concern, they would have engineered so that you couldnt switch between programs unless in PARK.

2) I am still reading the COMMAND manual, which approximates the Beowulf manuscript. But so far I have not been able to figure out how to make the COMMAND system come on automatically when I start the car. I find it very annoying to have to push the button to turn it on every time so that I can use the backup camera. My cheap Acura SUV navigation works better in this regard. Is it something in the settings that can be adjusted?

3) Is there any way to TURN OFF the day time running lights? I have gone into the dash AMG menu system and tried turning off there, but doesnt seem to work. It this a U.S. rule that they must stay on?

4) Is there any reason to not drive in manual most/all the time? With some experience, I am actually finding S and S+ to be a little annoying. Especially S+. Very herky jerky, and I find it difficult to modulate. As much as I am not crazy about C mode, for automatic I find that it is much smoother. I suppose in S and S+ the throttle response is sharper too? I guess put differently, what is happening in S and S+ mode? I find that S is ok, and probably I could deal with it over time, but currently not a fan of S+. Will the transmission "learn" my driving style over time? In the case of manual, I just love the car...the sounds, the control I have, etc. So why not use manual all the time?

Thanks!!!!
1. In my car, I just take my foot off the accelerator just to be safe. But I haven't heard of any tranny issues about switching while moving either. That would just be silly to me.

2. If my COMAND screen is up and I shut the engine off and pull the key, it closes up automatically. Then when I start the car again, it opens automatically. It basically returns to the last setting. Yours should too so I'm not sure why it's not. I'd ask the dealership about it because I imagine it should be the same across all C63s.

3. Under Settings in my dash menu, I can turn them off. I think you have to be parked to do it though. IIRC, it requires you to change the setting, then turn off and on your car before it engages.

4. I'm not sure what the memory length is for the TCU, but I imagine yours should be no different and will learn your driving style. I just find M is impractical around town because you can't shift when the steering wheel is turned. I know you're not supposed to shift in a turn, but with the unpredictable nature of traffic and pedestrians, I just don't use M unless I'm on an open road.

For your other points...

1. Sport traction control means it's "off". In our C63s, it's not truly 100% off, but on your BS, it might be. I'd ask a tech about that.

2. I think your suspension stiffens also.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
On the command screen, maybe they forgot to enable it at make ready?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
1) By the way, what does SPORT handling mode for traction control really do...technically? I know that it allows looser tolerances for handling, but what does that specifically mean? Just adjustments in the sensors and intervention?
2) In S or S+, is there engine software remapping/changes, sharper throttle sensitivity, other changes? I.E. it doesnt feel like it is just the transmission that is affected by those modes.

thanks again
1) ESP Sport, or sport handling mode, just lets you get a few degrees of slip angle, and a certain amount of wheelspin before ESP kicks in. ESP Off turns things off completely, with the exception of braking (ESP always kicks in during braking).

2) There's a noticable difference in throttle response between the modes. There's also a noticable difference with ESP off, but I think that's more to do with the fact that it doesn't limit power at all in the lower gears.

The COMAND screen is a weird one. Mine comes on automatically if I leave it on, and it turns off by itself when I open the door with the ignition off. I never touch the on/off button ever.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Thanks guys. My Command/Nav screen definitely doesnt come back on at car start-up, even if I left it on with car stop. So maybe there is a setting. Bummer on the daytime driving lights. I woudl prefer off or just the LEDs. Maybe I will ask an AMG tech about the drive switch while in motion.

A couple others -

thanks again
This was actually part of the fun we had in the C63s at the AMG Driving Academy. We were using them on the skid pad the exercise was to allow us to see what ESP really does and when its completely off how to oversteer and correct.

So when ESP is ON (default mode), you can round a corner, plant your foot all the way down and the car will just keep you straight, no problem.

When ESP goes to Sport Handling Mode, you will get a little bit of slip, the tail will come out a couple of angles and then it will cut power and get you going straight again no matter how hard you try. (If you want to impress/scare a girl in the passenger seat without putting anyone in any real danger this is the mode you want to be in)

Lastly, ESP Off, this is when things got fun on the skidpad. They had use come up to the corner where we would make a right in second gear. Told us give it a quick blip of the throttle, no more. Suddenly the car was going tail out in a drift and we had to learn how to correct. I still try this in empty parking lots but definitely not going to drive ESP off on roads until I am much more comfortable. Even then I don't think ESP off is for the roads, better to have the system there to catch you than not. On the track, different story.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
SLS
Originally Posted by dboutros
This was actually part of the fun we had in the C63s at the AMG Driving Academy. We were using them on the skid pad the exercise was to allow us to see what ESP really does and when its completely off how to oversteer and correct.
Yup. In fact:
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 PM

SLS
Also, regarding the COMAND system. +1 to what everyone has said. I haven't tried it in a BS yet, but I can't imagine it to be much different from others.

Here's another thing you may find useful and interesting: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ed-thread.html
(For example, one of the first settings I'll be enabling is the reverse camera lines/markers, which are off by default.)
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 PM

SLS
By the way, there are a ton of pages and a ton of settings in the Engineering Menu. I've noticed things have shifted around between 2009, 2010 and 2012 models, and I suspect in 2013 they'd have moved something around just to mess me up.

Poke around a bit and you'll find most of the settings you want (i.e., I want the reverse camera lines). Took me 15 minutes to find that one in my 2010 model a while back. :P
Old 11-07-2012, 04:25 AM

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Black Series, Magno Alanite Grey

I do it when the car is stopped, otherwise from C to S/S+ mode jerks the car between 1st and 2nd gears.

If you turn the car off with the system ON, it will start up that way, with it ON.

It should have an AUTO feature, just leave it on that, the lights will turn off once you leave your garage.

Give the car to learn your driving style, stay in C for a day, and let it learn there, and then drive in S for a day, and let it learn there, there are a few tricks to sport plus, im sure you still have my number, feel free to call me and I can run you down how to work the S+ mode well. I never use M, surprisingly. Maybe once or twice......

Thanks!!!!
Faraz
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I actually enjoy using the S+ mode when I'm just cruising around. I call it the A-Hole mode, because it mimics me driving like a d!ck in M mode haha.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Seen like you've gotten some good feedback. Just to quickly add my experience...

1. No issues switching while moving here over four different AMG vehicles.

2. All of my Command systems have been left on as I turn off & exit the car and automatically come back on when I restart the vehicle.

3. My BS doesn't have any DRLs, but on most AMGs (in the USA), you can turn DRLs off through the vehicle's gauge controls.

4. There isn't any specific detriment re: manual mode. The only issue, as any logical driver would be aware of, would be holding the revs high for a long period of uninterrupted time. Also, the transmission will "learn" your driving style to some degree - you used to be able to reset that learning, but nobody's discovered how to do that with newer models.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by justthebest
Also, the transmission will "learn" your driving style to some degree - you used to be able to reset that learning, but nobody's discovered how to do that with newer models.
I hate the adaptive tranny. It should be disabled by default in all AMG vehicles.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 AM

2012 C63 coupe P31/LSD
As you know, "C" mode starts in 2nd gear. If you're driving very slowly and you switch between "C" and the 2 "S" modes, the car will automatically shift into 1st gear. This shift at slow speeds may cause a slight, unexpected jerk. I think this is why Mercedes recommends not to switch between the modes while moving. I don't think the jerk is hard enough to cause any damage. It is a precautionary recommendation from MB.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
I was told that you can switch on the fly sort of thing as this is all electronics and there is no locking or unlocking of the diff. This was told and explained to me by one of the AMG engineers.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
No mention of having to swap settings only when stationary in the Owners Manual of a 2010 Australian delivered 2010 model
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 434 Likes on 357 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
In my Canadian 2010 C63 there is as suggestion under Automatic Transmission - Automatic Shift Program about changing the program mode. It says: "You should only change the program mode when the automatic transmission is in park position P."
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by Mort
In my Canadian 2010 C63 there is as suggestion under Automatic Transmission - Automatic Shift Program about changing the program mode. It says: "You should only change the program mode when the automatic transmission is in park position P."
Bizarre the differences in different markets. Can only assume this warning is mandated in North America as a safety measure - to minimise distractions when driving? Can't see that it is a "mechanical" requirement, as it is exactly the same transmission etc
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Thanks for all the feedback. After a couple weeks with the car, I strongly prefer to drive it in manual. I really dont like any of the auto settings. "S" is what I drive in if needed. If the car was a daily driver in traffic, etc. that is the setting I would use. But unless there is any detriment to the car, I plan to love it in manual. I like the control, the smoothness, the shifting is awesome, all the pops and gurgles, etc. I have spent too many years driving stick manuals...