Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alfa Romeo
New C63??

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum.
Just registered.
I am thinking of buying a used 2009 C63, 60K Kilometers on clock, in a good condition, no accidents, looks great.
I tried to search on the forum, found some serious problem regarding coolant leaking (separate thread) then some material repair engine is required. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that.
I will check with local dealer how much should it cost, the car is not under warranty any more.
A few words about the car, Amazing!! the sound, the power.
I need the car for everyday use. Around 100 Kilometers a day, most of them in open road, no traffic jam, no city (a little).
What do you think about the choice with this kind of usage?
I'm ready to pay the insurance and the fuel consumption :-( I am less ready to pay extra cost for maintenance or for serious problems which could cost a lot of money (reasonable is OK but not serios..)
Should I worry from any other else?
What do you think about the coolant problem?
Many thanks in advance,
Old 01-29-2013, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2008 BS
Welcome to the group.

I guarantee the c63 will be more reliable than your Alfa.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
i second and treble that
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
I would be slightly concerned by the lack of warranty and unless the asking price is discounted to reflect it then I would look elsewhere. Having said this I do think the head bolt issue is not as common as it might appear and there are plenty of high mileage AMGs with the affected engines still going strong.
My thoughts are that for peace of mind you might be better off trying to stretch your budget to a mid 2010 onwards model. These have the improved head bolts and a few other improvements and you might get the tail end of a factory warranty to cover any niggling faults that might crop up.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:50 PM

Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by JimmyR
I would be slightly concerned by the lack of warranty and unless the asking price is discounted to reflect it then I would look elsewhere. Having said this I do think the head bolt issue is not as common as it might appear and there are plenty of high mileage AMGs with the affected engines still going strong.
My thoughts are that for peace of mind you might be better off trying to stretch your budget to a mid 2010 onwards model. These have the improved head bolts and a few other improvements and you might get the tail end of a factory warranty to cover any niggling faults that might crop up.
Thank you for detailed answer.
Unfortunately, 2010 onwards it is not an option. Much much over my budget.
The question is how sensitive the car?
I read about the head bolt, you say it is something I can live with. Are there any other serious problem?
To spend much money on service and broken things does not make sense to me. I try to compare with other reasonable cars, a newer M1 for example.
If the cost for maintenance is reasonable and the car is quiet reliable, no doubt I go for it.
In other words, I need some support for choosing MB, not a simple decision seems to me.
Regards,
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
I bought mine and added an extended warranty via 3rd party vendor. I did the same when I bought a C55 on 2009 and the warranty covered pretty everything except some fees (US$ 80) on a repair needed due to a broken belt. The invoice total was US$ 600. These cars are pretty reliable. Heck, even more reliable than the WRX I had 6 years ago. The problem is that the parts are pretty expensive, specially AMG parts. If you have the warranty to back you up, you shouldn't have any trouble.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 PM

Alfa Romeo
I read more about the coolant leak problem.
See the attached link.
http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/63.html
The question is, how do I know if engine is before or after solving the problem?
The car is from late 2009.
Thanks,
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 343 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
If you're asking if your subject vehicle is in the group with the issue, the answer is yes.

Regards,

Joe
Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM

Alfa Romeo
Hi again,
Thanks for the answers, It is clear for me that this car is in risk.
Last question before getting any decision with the 2009 model,
Is it possible/recomended and how much cost to fix the problem as a preveventative treatment?
I understand special tools and professional mechanics are required.
Thanks in advance,
Old 02-08-2013, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Judging by past threads, somewhere in the neighborhood of $5k. About $1200-1500? For the Weistec kit and the rest in labor.