Buy and export a C63 from Canada Vs Europe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C220
Buy and export a C63 from Canada Vs Europe

Hi C63 community

I'm "new" here, well I read a lot of very interesting posts here but this is my first one

So I'm planning on buying a C63 in the next months to export to North Africa. I live in Canada and I also have contacts in Europe so I have the choice to order from either countries. I checked both versions over the MB web sites Germany, France and Canada, and it seems that the base models (standard equipment, options and prices are very very different).

I did some researches and it seems that in Canada even if I'm exporting the car (which is against MB policy!?) I have to pay the taxes, at least this is what all the MB dealers I visited told me. However in Europe it is a different story, actually I have a family member who bought his car there and he didn't pay the VAT taxes (included in listing prices in Europe) which is ~19% I think.

I found out that with the currency conversion EUR Vs CAD, and including (for Canada)/excluding (Europe) the taxes/VAT, the Canadian base price seems very interesting (65K CAD -> 75K CAD including Taxes -> 56K EUR) compared to the German base price (72K EUR -> 58K EUR excluding VAT) and the French model (89K EUR -> 72K EUR excluding VAT). Even better, the Canadian base model compared to the European model seems to come with more equipment (speaking overall, not 100% true).

But this is just the beginning of my confusion because it gets really complicated when I add some optional equipment and packs (which are very different from a country to another!) and honestly I didn’t really bother taking the time to compare the exact listing of the standard Vs optional equipment for each version. Its a real mind ****

Anyways, I tired to add some packs and options to get approximately the same configuration to compare between models for a well equipped C63. Below a list of the main options and packs I selected.
I actually selected all the possible options for the Canadian model, including the AMG Performance Package Plus (Red brake callipers, Top speed 280km/h, LSD, +30hp…), and tried to have a similar equipped car based on the German and the French models (MB web site).

- Color: Obsidian Black metallic.
- Wheels: 19" AMG Multi-Spoke Alloy (I choose the black mat ones for the Euro models, unfortunately for the Canadian model only the gray are available )
- Interior: Black/Classic Red Two Tone AMG designo Nappa Leather and Carbon fiber Trim.
- COMAND Online (COMMAND APS w/HDD and DVD in Canada, which is included in the Premium pack, but I guess it is the same thing?)
- Rear View Camera (included in the Premium pack for the Canadian model)
- KEYLESS-GO (included in the Premium pack for the Canadian model)
- PARKTRONIC (included in the Premium pack for the Canadian model)
- Sun roof (standard equipment for the Canadian model)

Without even selecting the AMG performance pack for the Euro models I was already over the Canadian price (80K CAD -> 92K CAD including taxes -> 69K EUR) which includes all the possible options listed on the MB Canadian website! The price for an approximately equivalent C63 European mdeol and without the AMG Performance package is almost 8K EUR more expensive! German: 95K EUR -> 77K EUR excluding VAT, and 97K EUR -> 78K excluding VAT

I’m really confused and I can’t explain this huge difference, considering that in my calculation I included taxes for the Canadian model and excluded VAT for the Euro models! And still, the Euro models are more expensive!
What I’m missing here?
Is it because the Euro models come with more standard equipment?

Does any one know more about this or had and experience comparing the prices?
And of course all comments and advice are welcome

Thanks and sorry for the really long first post
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
It's simply more expensive in Europe. That's it haha. There are some regional options that are different, but nothing that's worth the big price difference. It's a moot point anyways, buying a AMG in Canada you have to sign a non export agreement.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
The export agreements are probably dealership or MB corp specific, but there is nothing preventing you from owning the vehicle, and taking it with you to wherever you are moving to. They cannot prevent that, and it is not illegal to export the vehicle. Export to resell is a different story. Although there is nothing stopping you from saying its your own car, getting to your desired location, and then selling it.

However, what you would end up owning in North Africa is considered a grey market vehicle, you would get no support from MB with regards to things like warranties and what not. Anytime you take your car to a MB dealership (if they even have one in the location you are going to), you would be treated as any customer out of warranty, meaning you pay full price for services and repairs.

Also take into account import duties in whatever country you are going to. I am from South Africa, and the duties were rediculous. You are essentially going to be paying taxes on the car twice, once during sale, and when you import it to wherever.

Parts will be another issue, you may not even be able to get your car fixed if something breaks or fails, or you get into an accident (highly likely in Africa.. no one there can drive )
Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
The export agreements are probably dealership or MB corp specific, but there is nothing preventing you from owning the vehicle, and taking it with you to wherever you are moving to. They cannot prevent that, and it is not illegal to export the vehicle. Export to resell is a different story. Although there is nothing stopping you from saying its your own car, getting to your desired location, and then selling it.

However, what you would end up owning in North Africa is considered a grey market vehicle, you would get no support from MB with regards to things like warranties and what not. Anytime you take your car to a MB dealership (if they even have one in the location you are going to), you would be treated as any customer out of warranty, meaning you pay full price for services and repairs.

Also take into account import duties in whatever country you are going to. I am from South Africa, and the duties were rediculous. You are essentially going to be paying taxes on the car twice, once during sale, and when you import it to wherever.

Parts will be another issue, you may not even be able to get your car fixed if something breaks or fails, or you get into an accident (highly likely in Africa.. no one there can drive )
They can't prevent it, but you will pay all Canadian taxes to get it and other countries will not necessarily honor your warranty.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
The non export agreement is between owners and the dealer, not MB Canada. MB Canada just fines the dealership if a car they sold ends up exported. There's so many loopholes in the agreement that it's not very hard to bypass it. Sell the car to someone locally, and they export it, and you won't breach the agreement.

I've never seen it happen, but technically, if you export it and breach the agreement, the dealer can sue you in civil court and you'll be liable for the fine set out in the agreement.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 PM

2008 C220
Thanks for the answers

Yes I know that I have to sign a non export agreement, but like @rage2 said, there are some loopholes that I can exploit to avoid being sued by MB or the dealer.

And it's just ridiculous that AMGs are build in Germany and yet they are way more expensive there than here in north America!

And yes @jvanbrecht I'm aware about the fact that my warranty wont be accepted in Tunisia, I hope I won't have major issues with the car. For regular services it won't be a big issue I presume.
BTW there are MB dealers in Tunisia but I'm quite sure they won't transfer any kind of MB warranty

Regarding import duties it won't be an issue for me since each Tunisian citizen have the right to import a Car without paying any duties if the car is kept for personal use (However can't be sold unless you pay the taxes).

And it's not 100% true that people can't drive, they drive differently :P yes there are more accidents than in Europe or Canada, but I'm confident that I won't crash my babe. Anyways I hope so. And even if it happens there are some good repair shops there

@callmiro, since you are from Toronto, I would ask you if it would be a better option for me to buy from Ontario since I could save the Quebec taxes? Actually are all the taxes payed at the dealer? Or the provincial taxes are payed when I register the car?

I also heard about the MB European Delivery Program, Is there any possibility to not returning the car to Canada? I guess it won't be possible since this would reveal my intention to export the car outside of Canada!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by Ketchup
Thanks for the answers

Yes I know that I have to sign a non export agreement, but like @rage2 said, there are some loopholes that I can exploit to avoid being sued by MB or the dealer.

And it's just ridiculous that AMGs are build in Germany and yet they are way more expensive there than here in north America!

And yes @jvanbrecht I'm aware about the fact that my warranty wont be accepted in Tunisia, I hope I won't have major issues with the car. For regular services it won't be a big issue I presume.
BTW there are MB dealers in Tunisia but I'm quite sure they won't transfer any kind of MB warranty

Regarding import duties it won't be an issue for me since each Tunisian citizen have the right to import a Car without paying any duties if the car is kept for personal use (However can't be sold unless you pay the taxes).

And it's not 100% true that people can't drive, they drive differently :P yes there are more accidents than in Europe or Canada, but I'm confident that I won't crash my babe. Anyways I hope so. And even if it happens there are some good repair shops there

@callmiro, since you are from Toronto, I would ask you if it would be a better option for me to buy from Ontario since I could save the Quebec taxes? Actually are all the taxes payed at the dealer? Or the provincial taxes are payed when I register the car?

I also heard about the MB European Delivery Program, Is there any possibility to not returning the car to Canada? I guess it won't be possible since this would reveal my intention to export the car outside of Canada!
If you are buying a brand new car from a dealer, then the dealer collects all the taxes on sale, no matter what province you're buy it from. Taxes vary from Province to Province.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Buddy, Export from Dubai. Can get you an amazing price (much cheaper than what you've posted) and a lot closer.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 PM

2008 C220
Originally Posted by callmiro
If you are buying a brand new car from a dealer, then the dealer collects all the taxes on sale, no matter what province you're buy it from. Taxes vary from Province to Province.
Yes I see, thanks

Originally Posted by C-63AMG
Buddy, Export from Dubai. Can get you an amazing price (much cheaper than what you've posted) and a lot closer.
I'm not really sure about that, I checked on the EMC MB website and it seems the prices are higher than Canada. The base C63 price is 81,600 USD (I'm not sure if the price includes taxes). However the Canadian price is 65,300 CAD (75,000 CAD including taxes which is ~73,000 USD).
Adding to that it is complicated for me to go over there (VISA and hotels, which won't be the case here).
Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 AM

C63 AMG
Yes I see, thanks

I'm not really sure about that, I checked on the EMC MB website and it seems the prices are higher than Canada. The base C63 price is 81,600 USD (I'm not sure if the price includes taxes). However the Canadian price is 65,300 CAD (75,000 CAD including taxes which is ~73,000 USD).
Adding to that it is complicated for me to go over there (VISA and hotels, which won't be the case here).
Don't buy it from those thieves or Gargash for that matter. For sure you will get it at crazy prices. Buy it from Aweer and for export. You will save a lot and there's no need to be present in the country for an export.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Or you could buy one that is a year old with minimal kms in Canada and save a bunch of cash. I might know where you could find one for a good price that is fully loaded.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 PM

2008 C220
Originally Posted by C-63AMG
Don't buy it from those thieves or Gargash for that matter. For sure you will get it at crazy prices. Buy it from Aweer and for export. You will save a lot and there's no need to be present in the country for an export.
I guess those are dealers in Dubai?
Yes I know but I really prefer to be present to get it delivered to me in person

Originally Posted by gthal
Or you could buy one that is a year old with minimal kms in Canada and save a bunch of cash. I might know where you could find one for a good price that is fully loaded.
Yes I'm considering this option, But I don't really know where to look. Any help will be very appreciated
Old 03-11-2013, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Yes I'm considering this option, But I don't really know where to look. Any help will be very appreciated
Check your PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Pacifica
Thanks for the answers

Non-Export:
Have you seen the current MB non-export clause on your Bill of Sale? I do not know what loophole you expect to fit through, but you will be held liable for the export, enforced in small claims court. The only way out is if the Dealer (not salesperson) consents in writing on the final agreement that you can export.

Taxes: you can reclaim the taxes you pay on a new vehicle from Provincial and Federal governments. It takes a few months, but the process is in place.